Dear Devs: Water is wet, and not all players wish to engage in all aspects of SWTOR

xordevoreaux

The newly announced augments are not necessary (at least under the CURRENT operation tuning) to have for PvE. The augments will be most in demand by the high-end PvP types who wish to remain on the bleeding edge of their meticulously crafted BiS min/maxed stat curves, meaning that the PvE types can trundle along just fine with the current augments.

I get that.

But, dear Devs, when a bunch of you sit around the virtual conference table, discussing objectives, goals, and how to mix those objectives and goals into the game, please don't forget the obvious: besides water being wet, what attracts people to the game are rarely all aspects of the game.

Show me a post where someone at any time in the past said "I want to play all aspects of the game at all time, from PvE, decorating, PvP, roleplay, RP, ERP, my own head canon, and of course dressing up my companions in all sorts of outfits. Yes! Everything! All the time! Bring it!"

I don't ever recall reading a post like that.

Thus, I can say with some confidence that there are people who play this game SOLELY for the kick they get out of PvP. Or crafting. Or story. Or PvE. Or role play. Or . . . whatever turns them on, and some people DO enjoy a mix, but I suspect they always return to one or two favorite core activities. Whatever their bent may be, more power to them.

So, in developing the latest tier of augments for 6.1.4, the question tossed out on this virtual conference table must have been what would be an engaging way to premier these new augments by involving players in multiple aspects of the game?

Answer: Let's push players out of what they like to do into aspects of the game that they vehemently (or to whatever degree) don't. In the case of these new augments, this answer came down to farming for God knows how long PvP as well as PvE to get the necessary mats.

For some people, and I've no crystal ball to tell me how much of the player base it may entail, they are totally fine farming both PvE and PvP day in and day out. Great. Wonderful. They can knock themselves out doing it.

For everyone else, who has either a complete disinterest in either PvE or PvP, there is also an answer: credits.

Lots and lots and lots of credits.

Because credits will be what everyone else will need to buy these mats off the GTN, which will ONLY be on the GTN once everyone farming them in PvE / PvP has finished outfitting all of their own characters with these augs.

That means the trickle flowing into the GTN will be slow at first, and painfully expensive for the foreseeable future, until another tier of augs supersedes this most recently announced tier.

Some players, either lacking the resources or savvy to farm billions of credits, are just simply out of luck. These new augments just won't be an aspect of the game for them.

You're the devs, it's your choice what and how you roll content out for the game, but the only people who'll be truly happy with this new setup are the gold sellers. You've just given players the biggest incentive ever to turn to gold sellers, because the prices on the GTN will be freaking outrageous for these mats, and for a long time.

Congratulations. You've garnered at least one group of people who'll love you for 6.1.4

So, Dear Devs, going forward, please consider making a permanent developmental standard in which access to end game gear, just as with 306, involves game play offering parallel yet isolated aspects of the game's features, rather than forcing us to either dial our local gold seller or engage in content in which we'd rather cut off a few limbs first before we bother.

In the case of this newly announced tier of augs, that means let PvE types PvE, PvP types PvP, and ne'er the two shall meet, yet accomplish the same goal.

I know. You wanted to mix things up a bit, literally. There may be aspects of the game where that's fine.

This wasn't it.

Ask us first next time.

Edited by xordevoreaux

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that the man in charge isn't able to grasp the idea that HIS way of playing this game doesn't match the MAJORITY's way of playing this game. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually believes that "play your way" is a thing. Since he plays HIS way and caters to HIS playing style.

Is no one realising that ever since he took over, most of the changes were/are in favor of HIS prefered playing style?

He is making this game suiting himself. And we can either follow or not.

You (you is meant in general) might think I'm exaggerating or making things up. That's OK.

Is no one realising that ever since he took over, most of the changes were/are in favor of HIS prefered playing style?

We do but when its brought up there's always a few fanatic apologists/defenders taking over and derailing the topic because they dislike KOTFEET era and the previous man in charge.

Every one of the PvP BLOCKED missions, Companions or anything else that requires PvP is still ROTTING in my mission logs, some have been there for years...

I ... WILL... NEVER... DO ... ANY.. PVP.... BLOCKED... WALLED.... OR... REQUIRED... CONTENT...............EVER!

So if your going to require PvP for PvE content you might as well just save your self the time and effort and NOT even bother to have the PvE requirement. Since your really only offering it as a perk to PvP only players anyway. Many and might I say, MOST PvEer's do not like and will never participate in PvP. PERIOD!

So I guess it's just screw the PvE only players once again with content we will NEVER have.

Thank you but please next time, a little Vasilene.

Topic starter is actually wrong only in one sentence.

Not all PvPers will need these new augs.

I make nice 80k hits in warzones not because im dressed in BiS gear, in fact i have zero purple augments. I make these nice hits because of using advantages of my set bonuses and tacticals and pressing buttons in right order at right time. I couldn't care less about new augs stat-wise.

Alot of people in regs or even ranked aren't dressed in BiS gear, and they are perfectly ok with it as long as they have fun and feel satisfied with their performance.

The reason i usually don't do ranked is not because there are people dressed in better gear than me. No. It's because i prefer tactical PvP of regular warzones. And i only queue ground PvP if GSF queues take long which happens quite rarely in recent months.

But if new augments will be implemented yhe way it was announced, i will indeed queue solo ranked to farm mats to sell em on GTN. And alot of regs players will do as well.

These new mats will worth some good credits.

So alot of not-so-good or completely clueless players will come to ranked, especially solo. And alot of PvErs will come as well just to try and test their luck i bet.

If BWs intention was to **** off as many ranked players as possible - heck yeah new patch will do that just fine.

I swear by Allah whining in PvP forum in first week after patch will be hilarious.

Every one of the PvP BLOCKED missions, Companions or anything else that requires PvP is still ROTTING in my mission logs, some have been there for years...

I ... WILL... NEVER... DO ... ANY.. PVP.... BLOCKED... WALLED.... OR... REQUIRED... CONTENT...............EVER!

Geez, calm down! Don't have a cow, man. 🙂

There's nothing you "need" that requires PvP. There's a couple of companions that require PvP to recruit, but there's lots of other companions.

There's some mats tied to some augments that you don't need.

I never do any PvP either, nor do I do GSF, but yet, somehow I remain calm. 🤔

😍

So alot of not-so-good or completely clueless players will come to ranked, especially solo. And alot of PvErs will come as well just to try and test their luck i bet.

Initially perhaps until they realise the following:

Ranked PvP Missions and Boxes will drop a new material: RPM -13

50% chance in weekly group ranked box

5 on Weekly Group Ranked Quest

10% chance in daily group ranked box

1 on Daily Group Ranked Quest

25% chance in weekly solo ranked box

0 in Weekly Solo Ranked Quest

5% chance in daily solo ranked box

0 in Daily Solo Ranked Quest

You see, the only reliable way to farm mats is to do group ranked. Solo ranked has very poor chances of dropping the mats. And on top of that to be able to get those reliable rewards you have to WIN matches. That was a change they made recently.

Most PvE'ers who realise this will not even try this because they understand that their skill level in PvP is nowhere near good enough to get wins consistently.

You see, the only reliable way to farm mats is to do group ranked. Solo ranked has very poor chances of dropping the mats. And on top of that to be able to get those reliable rewards you have to WIN matches. That was a change they made recently.

Most PvE'ers who realise this will not even try this because they understand that their skill level in PvP is nowhere near good enough to get wins consistently.

Exactly, it is going to come down to the top PVP groups to sell the new PVP-exclusive mats on the GTN. That at least with the PVE-exclusive mats, there is a larger player base to collect mats, thus creating more competition.

Aye. That's good point. Average (or even pretty good) PvEer may become quite disappointed in attempts of farming solo ranked, especially if drop rates of new mats will be the same as devs stated in augments topic.

But again, there's always wintrading. They can join the guild that runs team ranked groups for the sake of conquest farming or mats farming.

Can't tell about other servers but on DM some guilds are already mentioning in their recruitment messages that they're recruiting people for team ranked farming :p

I can bet that at least mega guilds will abuse the team ranked queue for conquest and mats farming. And alot of more casual guilds will do that as well.

Doubt it's what BW wanted to see but that's what will happen.

This is discouraging. One of the worst things to happen is to balance classes through a lens of pvp. The effects are felt in pve.

I bit the bullet the last time we needed to engage in ranked pvp for pve gear. It was a horrible experience, one that I will never repeat. It is ironic that preceding the post to 6.1.4 is about "toxic environment" yet the plan is expose all of us to the most toxic environment in this game.

I wish pvp and pve were separated in every way, including gear rewards, and progression to prevent any bleed through of the respective communities.

Really? So, what is the meaning? I guess I'm just dense, but I don't quite know what it's supposed to mean, especially in this context. 🤔

🙂

It's used as a way of indicating to your audience that you know that you are about to state the obvious, in this case stating that not all players play all aspects of the game.

It's used as a way of indicating to your audience that you know that you are about to state the obvious, in this case stating that not all players play all aspects of the game.

Oh, okay. Well, let me see if I use this correctly.

Water is wet. Since 6.0, and the inception of the "play your way" mentality, augments have always required specific play in order to craft them, or that one purchase the mats from the GTN, and these new augments, while requiring a more exclusive mat, will be the same. Even though it is common, one of the mats required to craft the current irating 276 and 286 augments does not drop just anywhere in the game, but only from specific content, thus if one does not run that content then they are required to either purchase that mat from others on the GTN, purchase the crafted product from others on the GTN, or forego those augments. This will be the same, but with a more exclusive and harder to acquire mat.

No sure if I used that correctly.

Oh, okay. Well, let me see if I use this correctly.

Water is wet. Since 6.0, and the inception of the "play your way" mentality, augments have always required specific play in order to craft them, or that one purchase the mats from the GTN, and these new augments, while requiring a more exclusive mat, will be the same. Even though it is common, one of the mats required to craft the current irating 276 and 286 augments does not drop just anywhere in the game, but only from specific content, thus if one does not run that content then they are required to either purchase that mat from others on the GTN, purchase the crafted product from others on the GTN, or forego those augments. This will be the same, but with a more exclusive and harder to acquire mat.

No sure if I used that correctly.

Hate to tell you this, however the mats for the current augments can be gained by any player. Even the Conquest mats, and Legendary embers can be gotten from doing any content. (RE'ing gold ilevel 300+ can give a chance for embers).

Hate to tell you this, however the mats for the current augments can be gained by any player. Even the Conquest mats, and Legendary embers can be gotten from doing any content. (RE'ing gold ilevel 300+ can give a chance for embers).

Really? Where do Processed Isotope Stabilizers drop? Item rating 276 and 286 augments each require 10 PIS's. So where do those drop?