The Bastion Status as a Server

apinson

The Bastion is dying a slow and painful death; although the speed of that is increasing every day. I’m not really sure of the reason, but something has motivated people to stop playing or leave. I know a while back “PVP” players were leaving and going to the Harbinger; this included individuals and entire guilds. Those…experienced players …now found the server lacking; war zones, flash points, and operations are few and far between. I have noticed hours clicking by before a war zone pops, and there was a time when it was almost immediate.

I have taken some liberty to identify some problems:

• Resources that players would lose if they chose to transfer servers

o Strongholds

o Flagships

o Other toons currently in their inventory that are used to…augment…their legacy

o Financial investment(s) made towards Bastion legacies

o Player and legacy names should you choose to leave

• Subscription

o War Zones

o Flash points

o Operations

• The cost of transferring toon to other servers has just increased about ten times what it had been a short time ago

As a result I have talked to a number of guild masters and countless players, who by and large, recognize these problems; although it’s worth mentioning that this is not an inclusive list. Those players who happen to disagree…by and large…have been players who started to play recently, and therefore don’t recall the good old days. Said differently, a player can’t miss what a player has never experienced.

In an attempt to play nicely, I have made several complaints directly to SWTOR, but to date they have failed to react meaningfully. My suggestion to all players who choose to stay on the server…like me…is to let your subscriptions laps. Honestly, I don’t see the benefits of purchasing a product when the services offered are not being delivered. Moreover, there is nothing to be lost, or gained, as preferred members as long as the status quo is upheld. I also suggest that each player individually complain.

As to potential solutions…I suggest combining servers, and increasing the number of players by consolidating the ones who are still interested in the game.

Your thoughts,

Ephesiansixelev, Guild Master of Confrontation

The Bastion is dying a slow and painful death; although the speed of that is increasing every day. I’m not really sure of the reason, but something has motivated people to stop playing or leave. I know a while back “PVP” players were leaving and going to the Harbinger; this included individuals and entire guilds. Those…experienced players …now found the server lacking; war zones, flash points, and operations are few and far between. I have noticed hours clicking by before a war zone pops, and there was a time when it was almost immediate.

o Strongholds

o Flagships

o Other toons currently in their inventory that are used to…augment…their legacy

• Subscription

o War Zones

o Flash points

o Operations

• The cost of transferring toon to other servers has just increased about ten times what it had been a short time ago

As a result I have talked to a number of guild masters and countless players, who by and large, recognize these problems; although it’s worth mentioning that this is not an inclusive list. Those players who happen to disagree…by and large…have been players who started to play recently, and therefore don’t recall the good old days. Said differently, a player can’t miss what a player has never experienced.

In an attempt to play nicely, I have made several complaints directly to SWTOR, but to date they have failed to react meaningfully. My suggestion to all players who choose to stay on the server…like me…is to let your subscriptions laps. Honestly, I don’t see the benefits of purchasing a product when the services offered are not being delivered. Moreover, there is nothing to be lost, or gained, as preferred members as long as the status quo is upheld. I also suggest that each player individually complain.

As to potential solutions…I suggest combining servers, and increasing the number of players by consolidating the ones who are still interested in the game.

Your thoughts,

In any operation, whether planning …or…executing, you can never count on luck; but you have to recognize it, and accept it, when it’s there.

-Major Jim G. Pinson, U-2 Pilot/Instructor

A couple points ...

When you transfer a toon from one server to another, the highest legacy takes over at the destination server. So if you transfer a legacy level 50 character from the Bastion to Harbinger, your legacy will travel (it will still be alive and well on the sorce server as well) with that toon in all its glory --- unless you already have a legacy at level 50 there.

Legacy names are not unique. You can choose whatever name you like, whether someone else already has it or not.

That being said, I strongly support server mergers. Instances have replaced the need for multiple servers in one region (west coast / east coast).

Server mergers were done in the past. When the writing was on the wall that they were needed, Bioware initially told us they wouldn't force them (server transfers) on people, but would offer free transfers to those that wanted them. But a few months later, they "changed" their stance and moved everybody to one of a handful of destination servers. They just recently enabled generic instances (PvP/PvE), increased the letter limit in character names and allowed the use of a single space in names as well. Clearly, the intent was to allow for more character movement to populated servers. I'm sure mergers are coming down the road, but they may be trying to come up with a way to manage guild resources in mergers or they are just waiting to see how many people are willing to keep paying to move.

It will be some time, so just enjoy not having to wait for respawn timers very often until they finally do what needs to be done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

o Strongholds

o Flagships

• Subscription

o War Zones

o Flash points

o Operations

Your thoughts,

I agree whole heartily, The main reason I play is PVP and the que times are totally unacceptable. And then when you do get one its a 6 on 7 match:mad: I too have complained several times and have received only crickets chirping in response.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello, Team,

It's been over 3 years I play swtor, since I put my first signature I am always renewing. The problem is that I play in The Bastion, I'm paying to annoy me, because promoting transfer did die one server that was populous. See the irony, I am leader of the guild, Paladinus Libertatis, our focus is PvP, we are in a PvP server, but warzones are rare here, have time to start and end. Now look at the server The Harbinger, PvE server, setting warzones matches all the time. I'm paying to not play and I'm losing my guilders that are leaving the game or a few that have resource are experiencing other servers. We have many players without condition to pay 1000cc to transfer their characters. Now answer me! It is worth keeping empty servers? You do not care about the service who signs the game? Or me and my guild will have to choose another game, like many swtor players are already doing ...

There will be merge? Will unify the queues inter-server? Or will they keep losing players?

Master Thoomas, leader of Paladinus Libertatis.

Hello, Team,

It's been over 3 years I play swtor, since I put my first signature I am always renewing. The problem is that I play in The Bastion, I'm paying to annoy me, because promoting transfer did die one server that was populous. See the irony, I am leader of the guild, Paladinus Libertatis, our focus is PvP, we are in a PvP server, but warzones are rare here, have time to start and end. Now look at the server The Harbinger, PvE server, setting warzones matches all the time. I'm paying to not play and I'm losing my guilders that are leaving the game or a few that have resource are experiencing other servers. We have many players without condition to pay 1000cc to transfer their characters. Now answer me! It is worth keeping empty servers? You do not care about the service who signs the game? Or me and my guild will have to choose another game, like many swtor players are already doing ...

There will be merge? Will unify the queues inter-server? Or will they keep losing players?

Master Thoomas, leader of Paladinus Libertatis.

The designation of pve and pvp server have been gone for some time. The swap to make them all the same ruined bastion. if all else was equal, people went to the server with the larger population and pvp designated servers were always lighter than pve.

• 3 weeks later...
I left. Quit the game. I'll check back every now and then to see if my server has merged. It's the only thing that would bring me back to the game.

I agree it is dead I was logging in to close my account but may give it a few days to see if we get a response ...but doubtful.

the server is dead seeing 5 to 25 people on the fleet is not a good sign. we need a merge or get an account transfer.

Yup. The server is dead. It's been dead for a long time. In order to actually play and enjoy the game, we are now expected to either:

A.) Pay $$$/CC in addition to what we are already paying in subscription in order to transfer to a more populated server.

or;

B.) Start over on a more populated server.

I love this game. Seriously.... I REALLY love it. Followed it for years in development. Scoured the forums every day. Played multiple beta phases. Hung on every word of every dev post, hoping for some hint at a release date.

The day that my collector's edition box arrived at my door was the happiest moment in all of the many years that I have been gaming.

I'm not going to say the usual "Blah blah, gimme what I want or you suck and I quit" BS that seems to by typical of these threads. I think it's safe to say that I will continue to play this game until they shut the servers down.

However, with all that having been said... I am incredibly disappointed that BW/EA would not do everything possible in order to keep a happy and healthy subscriber base.

If people don't enjoy your game, they will take their money elsewhere. I implore you, please do not kill this game.

Merge the bloody servers, for Pete's sake! lol

/rant

• 2 months later...

Bastion is not the only server suffering from low population issues and, Yes!, you mentioned only a few. BW has been intentionally ignoring the issue all along. It has been stated in several forums tht BioWare (BW). doesn't give a damn and will not even consider merging servers - Bad for business. There are other options and I do not understand why they are not considering them. One is to utilize "Cross-Server" play. WOW initiated this several years ago and it really improved the play and population/popularity of the game. In all FP's, WZ's, Ops ,etc. - All "Que's or GF's you could be playing with players from other servers. Que times went way down and they were always balanced groups.

I find it interesting that no one as yet, that I can see, has challenged BW and EA legally regarding these issues. For instance - just to mention once facet: BW comes out with the DvsL event with achievements that players on low-populated servers can't possibly complete without spending bucks to tranfers legacy toons back and forth from one server to another more populated server, then back again after whatever tasks/achievements they need to accomplish are done. As a subscriber, I shouldn't be forced to spend additional monies just to play the aspects of the game (that are the basic part of the gameplay and now being made a major part of the gameplay theme).

If you take the time to go to their investor's site and note their stated "Purpose" and "Code of ethics" - They're in violation of their own CoE.

Come on EA/BW get your act together or you're going to get a real public awakening! Something as simple as "Cross-Server" can calm the storm that is coming.

• 2 weeks later...
Yup. The server is dead. It's been dead for a long time. In order to actually play and enjoy the game, we are now expected to either:

A.) Pay $$$/CC in addition to what we are already paying in subscription in order to transfer to a more populated server.

or;

B.) Start over on a more populated server.

I love this game. Seriously.... I REALLY love it. Followed it for years in development. Scoured the forums every day. Played multiple beta phases. Hung on every word of every dev post, hoping for some hint at a release date.

The day that my collector's edition box arrived at my door was the happiest moment in all of the many years that I have been gaming.

I'm not going to say the usual "Blah blah, gimme what I want or you suck and I quit" BS that seems to by typical of these threads. I think it's safe to say that I will continue to play this game until they shut the servers down.

However, with all that having been said... I am incredibly disappointed that BW/EA would not do everything possible in order to keep a happy and healthy subscriber base.

If people don't enjoy your game, they will take their money elsewhere. I implore you, please do not kill this game.

Merge the bloody servers, for Pete's sake! lol

/rant

While I agree 100% I'm not certain if everyone realized it or not but the price to transfer got dropped to only 90 cartel coins. It is most certainly not fair in the least but I believe it's BW's way of saying if you want to be on a populated server, do it yourself. They most likely have no intention of merging servers, which as someone pointed should have been done when instances were created. Even more so after you had the option to switch from PvE to PvP freely, which essentially made being on a PvP server somewhat pointless. There really should only be 2 US servers, one west coast and one east. I would love for this merger to happen but as they dropped the price of a transfer so low, I'm assuming they will NEVER spend the money to do so, and quite frankly their sorry dev team has way too many matters that need attention at the moment. I couldn't take the long queues on Bastion so sucked it up and transferred. In all honesty the death of this game has been a long time coming from since the beginning, when they let servers die before realizing, "oh crap, we are losing subs because there is no cross server play and servers are dead." Let's merge now that we've lost half our customers.

Edited by JudgeNot

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting ideas here, but what do you all think is actually most likely to happen?

I see only 3 possibilities.

1. Server merge (best scenario) all legacies and items stay intact.

2. Free character transfer tokens for every Bastion character. Suck that you have to clear out your legacy vault and move everything to cargo holds, and buy strongholds from scratch if you used credits to buy them before... but still you keep a lot of stuff like legacy and REPUTATION and fleet comms (I hope...)

3. They just shut down the server without warning and screw us, delete all chars. Doubtful, as I've never heard of this happening with any EA game or SWTOR server but I've heard of it happening in other MMOs and there are some paranoid ppl out there spouting this sort of nonsense on the net everytime a game or server gets low pop.

Based on what you guys have seen with other dead servers and other MMO's, what seems the most likely scenario?

Edited by Therapsida

While I agree 100% I'm not certain if everyone realized it or not but the price to transfer got dropped to only 90 cartel coins. It is most certainly not fair in the least but I believe it's BW's way of saying if you want to be on a populated server, do it yourself. They most likely have no intention of merging servers, which as someone pointed should have been done when instances were created. Even more so after you had the option to switch from PvE to PvP freely, which essentially made being on a PvP server somewhat pointless. There really should only be 2 US servers, one west coast and one east. I would love for this merger to happen but as they dropped the price of a transfer so low, I'm assuming they will NEVER spend the money to do so, and quite frankly their sorry dev team has way too many matters that need attention at the moment. I couldn't take the long queues on Bastion so sucked it up and transferred. In all honesty the death of this game has been a long time coming from since the beginning, when they let servers die before realizing, "oh crap, we are losing subs because there is no cross server play and servers are dead." Let's merge now that we've lost half our customers.

I agree with your post here. I love to PVP, this server has not a que pop in months. I pay my subscription and EA tells me "More is required." They need to merge and fast or make things cross server PVP and PVE. So I guess that a dead server is what this sorry dev team meant when they said "Better than cross server PVP."

The good thing is Star Wars Galaxies is relaunching in the next couple of days so now I can play a real Star Wars game not just a sci-fi game that paid the fee to use light sabers and jedi.

Interesting ideas here, but what do you all think is actually most likely to happen?

2. Free character transfer tokens for every Bastion character. Suck that you have to clear out your legacy vault and move everything to cargo holds, and buy strongholds from scratch if you used credits to buy them before... but still you keep a lot of stuff like legacy and REPUTATION and fleet comms (I hope...)

3. They just shut down the server without warning and screw us, delete all chars. Doubtful, as I've never heard of this happening with any EA game or SWTOR server but I've heard of it happening in other MMOs and there are some paranoid ppl out there spouting this sort of nonsense on the net everytime a game or server gets low pop.

Based on what you guys have seen with other dead servers and other MMO's, what seems the most likely scenario?

Actually you miss the one other option, they do nothing and continue as is. Sounds bad right..well it seems that's what their doing. If they have done nothing by the time my sub runs out this time I'm done.

o Strongholds

o Flagships

• Subscription

o War Zones

o Flash points

o Operations

Your thoughts,

You have to be in the q, it only takes 16 people in the q for nearly anything to pop. That includes repub and imp side. The simplest way to run end content is play follow the bonus. Where the bonus is that is what you q for. Even lower level players can do it. Don't us groups use solo or get more people together to make groups from other guilds and non guild members.

Just remember chapters are groupable for social points, anything that gives a mission like heroics gives 20+ cxp. Anyone trying to exploit will suffer harbingers roll backs. So keep it non cheating.

Edited by WilliamBeckket

o Strongholds

o Flagships

• Subscription

o War Zones

o Flash points

o Operations

1 you are going to lose basically nothing and everything here is transferrable if your a sub, the strongholds were paid for with the CCs or you got them early when Strongholds were free to every player. You only have to just reactivate them and I will not have people being kept on a server because someone lied to them.

If you transfer your toons your legacy follows and you get a mixture of everything if you have more than one legacy on each server but if you do not your transferrring this legacy to that server. you do not lose anything on the legacy.

Take out all your **** from your legacy stronghold and put it into your inventory and cargo hold and you can transfer it. So you lose nothing including money.

Only Guilds are not transferrable and in so guild flagships you will have to rebuy that with your strongholds if you did not legacy buy it. I had to buy my Tavin one for 2 Million stronghold but my Nar Shadda one I just had to reactiveate. Yes it is empty and you have to start over. there is a big difference between not having it and having it.

You have a subscription to any and all servers, there is nothing to stay you can't transfer all your toons to every server on the US only not euro. And have your legacy go with it. However your Toons that craft will have to be repeated for the toons you lose. servers do not communicate with each other you have to keep all your toons together or repeat the toons you lost.

1 They just move everyone to the preorganised location or allow one off free transfer of your toon beforea certain date like they did to the apac server. They would not merge the apac servers into one server so why would you think they would do it for the US west coast server.. basically your bastion friends screwed you and fled. Its only when a new expansion comes out that the servers fill with players. So the Harbringer players are going to come back when any new expansion comes out so moving to a standard server will only mean that it will be high when any expansion comes out.

With the apac merge there was something about Guilds, like you would be kicked out of the guild if your not the GM and you had to rejoin. When all you need to do is get back the players who went to Harbringer and have their server go dead and leave the trolls to suffer and die over there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I decided to play again after being away awhile, moved to The Harbinger server. There was 150 people on the republic fleet and 30 people on the odessen site area. While having to pay to transfer the characters was a little bit of a slap in the face, and lost some of the dyes/character looks because those aren't transferable if you're looking to play with other people you might as well bite the bullet and move to that server. Started playing off and on two years ago approximately and have never seen those number counts on the Bastion. When i initially logged into the Bastion there was like 1 other person this time around.... Edited by tkati

• 4 weeks later...