Introducing Parsec - a new raid aware real time combat log parser

Thank you for this contribution! I really dislike adobe air and was thrilled to see a .net alternative! Parsec has quickly become the in-game client of choice for most of my guild and so far the only thing I see lacking is the community that comes with torparse. Have you given any thought to building a site like torparse, except built on .net instead of php (and less buggy/terrible)?

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to bump this to highlight a much requested feature that made it in this week.

Raid Data is now archived and reloaded when you open old logs!

This was a big feature request and it finally made it in. Enjoy.

Great job with this parser. We switched to Parsec a few weeks back and it's been great. The new archive feature is awesome.

Only bad thing that I've noticed is that the raid data stops updating if you die. By that I mean if I die, everybody's numbers stop updating on my parser. A few other people in my raid have mentioned it as well, so I don't think it's just me. Is this a known issue?

I guess the workaround is to just stop dying...

Not sure if this has been answered already but whenever I enable the overlay my fps tumbles down to the high 20's when it would normally sit 70+. It happens with torparse as well.

It runs fine if the overlay is kept behind the game - so I can alt+tab to it, my fps only tumbles when it's sitting atop the game.

Is this something people just live with? If not is there a setting I need to enable or something?

SWTOR is run in full screen windowed mode. Latest drivers etc. etc.

Dear Docmal

On behalf on my guild and raidgroup I want to take the opportunity to thank you for this awesome program. It is a great asset to our raiding and in my oppinion it is the greatest parser in the game.

We use it in the both raid groups I'm active in, so basicly I use it on 5 days a week and no matter in which role I'm playing, Parsec has allways some interesting and/or vital data for me.

I would have one request for a feature:

It is about customizing the pop outs, specificly the threat board. Both as a DPS and Tank I use it to time the taunt or the aggro reduce to optimize my playstyle but in intense fights it is pretty hard to actually look on the threat board and determine the actual situation in a split second.

So I would suggest to add a feature to colour both Name and total threat number in the pop out in comparison to the other raid members.

In the "tank mode" it would be perfekt to have everyone as labeled green who has less then 90% of my own threat, yellow would be from 90-115% and red above 115%. maybe with an option of a fixed member (offtank) who is allways ... lets say in blue.

In the "dps mode" it would be basicly the other way round. Green is greater than 125% (or 115%) of my threat, yellow 90%-125% (115%) and Red is everyone below 90%.

That way both tanks and dps classes can identify any upcoming threat issues within the reaction time of the program and can optimize the usage of taunts and aggro reduce abilitys. :D

Again thank you for this awesome feature!

Regards, a fan from austria, Luke

Dear Docmal

On behalf on my guild and raidgroup I want to take the opportunity to thank you for this awesome program. It is a great asset to our raiding and in my oppinion it is the greatest parser in the game.

We use it in the both raid groups I'm active in, so basicly I use it on 5 days a week and no matter in which role I'm playing, Parsec has allways some interesting and/or vital data for me.

It is about customizing the pop outs, specificly the threat board. Both as a DPS and Tank I use it to time the taunt or the aggro reduce to optimize my playstyle but in intense fights it is pretty hard to actually look on the threat board and determine the actual situation in a split second.

So I would suggest to add a feature to colour both Name and total threat number in the pop out in comparison to the other raid members.

In the "tank mode" it would be perfekt to have everyone as labeled green who has less then 90% of my own threat, yellow would be from 90-115% and red above 115%. maybe with an option of a fixed member (offtank) who is allways ... lets say in blue.

In the "dps mode" it would be basicly the other way round. Green is greater than 125% (or 115%) of my threat, yellow 90%-125% (115%) and Red is everyone below 90%.

That way both tanks and dps classes can identify any upcoming threat issues within the reaction time of the program and can optimize the usage of taunts and aggro reduce abilitys. :D

I kind of like this idea as well. Could come in handy if its not to much work.

Hi, and thanks for making this tool!

My guild tried Parsec out for the first time last night on SnV. It worked well for us, except for two major problems. (Well, the same problem twice really):

- When I died and got rezzed, Parsec thinks it is a new fight. I have nine fights listed for Dread Master Styrak, even though we took him down on attempt number 6. The other 'fights' listed are often less than 30 seconds long.

- When someone else died and got rezzed, their info seems to recount from zero on my parser. Our main tank often had the lowest threat listed, even though he held aggro for nearly the entire fight, because he was brought down and rezzed.

Anyone else have these problems or know of a way to fix them?

EDIT - there may be something else at work here, because it also lists 3 fights for Olok the Shadow, and I don't believe anyone went down there. Does it think that it's a new fight just because we went down in the elevator? Still don't know where the third one would come from...

Edited by QuinaQuen

Hi, and thanks for making this tool!

My guild tried Parsec out for the first time last night on SnV. It worked well for us, except for two major problems. (Well, the same problem twice really):

- When I died and got rezzed, Parsec thinks it is a new fight. I have nine fights listed for Dread Master Styrak, even though we took him down on attempt number 6. The other 'fights' listed are often less than 30 seconds long.

- When someone else died and got rezzed, their info seems to recount from zero on my parser. Our main tank often had the lowest threat listed, even though he held aggro for nearly the entire fight, because he was brought down and rezzed.

Anyone else have these problems or know of a way to fix them?

EDIT - there may be something else at work here, because it also lists 3 fights for Olok the Shadow, and I don't believe anyone went down there. Does it think that it's a new fight just because we went down in the elevator? Still don't know where the third one would come from...

Parsec only knows what the combat log tells it, and the combat log is far from perfect. When you die the combat log gives an end combat message, when you teleport down the elevator the game gives end combat then start combat messages. The way to combat this is to write some conditional logic in parsec to detect these scenarios and work around them. However, there are some significant problems introduced with this logic and each solution opens more edge cases. I am aware of this and am working on it but I wouldn't hold your breath for a perfect solution. There will always be compromises.

Dear Docmal

I like this too. When I read this I had already been doing some color coding on the stat overview pop out for the next release but I will look into some conditional formatting. I think it might be simpler to give the highest threat a color then anyone within a certain tolerance another color and maybe give your character bolded text.

The only problem is that the log can be up to 7 seconds behind your in game action. This is because it can take 2 seconds for the game to write it to the log and during peak raid usage parsec updates the screen every 5 seconds. It wont be 7 seconds all the time but that is the worst case. Regardless I will work on some conditional formatting.

Not sure if this has been answered already but whenever I enable the overlay my fps tumbles down to the high 20's when it would normally sit 70+. It happens with torparse as well.

It runs fine if the overlay is kept behind the game - so I can alt+tab to it, my fps only tumbles when it's sitting atop the game.

Is this something people just live with? If not is there a setting I need to enable or something?

SWTOR is run in full screen windowed mode. Latest drivers etc. etc.

I have not heard of anyone having this problem. Parsec is pretty lightweight on CPU and memory usage and it is not using any 3D video resources. You could try using the Stream mode in settings. This will eliminate the transparency of the pop outs and might increase performance.

Great job with this parser. We switched to Parsec a few weeks back and it's been great. The new archive feature is awesome.

Only bad thing that I've noticed is that the raid data stops updating if you die. By that I mean if I die, everybody's numbers stop updating on my parser. A few other people in my raid have mentioned it as well, so I don't think it's just me. Is this a known issue?

I guess the workaround is to just stop dying...

** EDITED **

I found a bug in the current client that causes it to go into sleep mode (data updated less frequently) too soon. I have also made some enhancements that should fix most of these issues.

Edited by Docmal

Hey there, love this parser, hate Tor-parse and the like. Anyways is there any chance you could make the equivalent of the damage log for threat gen. If it is there already and I'm just being stupid that fine too, but right now I couldnt care less that I put X threat on Y random adds, I just want to know the percentage and average threats of my moves so I can optimize my rotation easier without going into the log by hand and examining each one separately.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello!

First great job on Parsec!

Im just using it for a few days now, but I figured something out.

When I check the Damage taken tab it shows me almost everything, also defense and shield, but for absorption I get always 0%

Is that a bug or am I missing something?

Hello!

When I check the Damage taken tab it shows me almost everything, also defense and shield, but for absorption I get always 0%

Wading in here for interest's sake: I'm presuming that means absorbs by the tank rather than from an absorption ability from a healer? Shield absorb figures would appear under shielded attacks.

Are you a Guardian tank or do you have a reactive warding relic? If yes to either, does the combat log provide the data to extrapolate this absorb figure? Might have just been a hopefully added feature.

Edited by DaftVaduhhh

Also wanted to comment on this, having taken notice and decided to post on how much I encourage any serious raider to download over TOR Parse and Mox.

Although, should this be the place for feedback and suggestions, I would like to pose one should it not have been made already. Is there a chance that in the Raid features, we would be able to take a look at detailed player input on the people connected in the group?

IE, being able to see the damage taken by a different member in the raid group without having to rely solely on second hand relays. Or even, the detailed rotation of another DPS in the raid to see what exactly they are doing without having to specifically ask them.

Hello!

This is really a problem with Bioware's terminology and a lack of complete information in the log. There are two scenarios at play here:

1) You shield an attack and your shield "absorbs" a percentage of the damage based on your absorption stat. In beta this was more accurately called Glance. In the log file a shielded attack is flagged as such but it does not report specifically how much damage has been mitigated.

2) You have some sort of barrier ability on you that "absorbs" a certain amount of damage. This is a sorc/sage bubble, a guardian blade barrier, a reactive warding relic proc, etc. This is truly absorbed damage and is referenced in the log file where it reports exactly how much damage was taken and how much was absorbed.

In Parsec I need to work with what is available in the log file and unfortunately your shield glance amounts are not available.

The Absorbed bubble at the top of the Damage Taken tab reports: The percentage of damage absorbed in scenario 2 above and the amount absorbed per second.

The Abs column reports the amount of damage absorbed in scenario 2 for each ability you are hit with.

With the latest PARSEC issues and constant disconnects, how can we the community help you guys maintain this? I mean we started with Mox, went to Torparse, back to Mox, back to torparse, now on PARSEC and we get dc'ed from the raid a lot :(. We got used to PARSEC and we would be very sad to change again.

Also wanted to comment on this, having taken notice and decided to post on how much I encourage any serious raider to download over TOR Parse and Mox.

Although, should this be the place for feedback and suggestions, I would like to pose one should it not have been made already. Is there a chance that in the Raid features, we would be able to take a look at detailed player input on the people connected in the group?

IE, being able to see the damage taken by a different member in the raid group without having to rely solely on second hand relays. Or even, the detailed rotation of another DPS in the raid to see what exactly they are doing without having to specifically ask them.

Unfortunately information regarding other players actions are not available in your log file. So we must rely on "second hand relays" - meaning both parties must be connected together and parsing in order to have access to all the relevant information you are looking for.

In the raid tab you can see the damage taken by each member, however, that's about the only thing in your request that exists today. And there are good reasons for this.

Number one is that bandwidth is expensive and the current design of Parsec has each client sending and receiving data from a server.

Number two is that peer to peer connections where data would be directly transmitted between clients is complicated to support. I could easily throw together something that works for me, but the notion of supporting 5000 people's OSes, firewalls and network settings is not appealing to me.

That said, it is on my awesome future feature list to allow a user to request a log download from another connected user. This would allow you to open an "archive view" of another users log file. Again, this would be an advanced feature and would require peer to peer tech, so it may not work for everyone.

With the latest PARSEC issues and constant disconnects, how can we the community help you guys maintain this? I mean we started with Mox, went to Torparse, back to Mox, back to torparse, now on PARSEC and we get dc'ed from the raid a lot :(. We got used to PARSEC and we would be very sad to change again.

Over the holiday my service provider had some significant issues with their SQL servers. Which caused lots of disconnects and down time. However, it appears that those issues have finally subsided. I have not seen any SQL problems since the 29th, where before that they happened almost everyday and sometimes multiple times a day.

Another issue I face is that the service I pay for has a limit of 800 concurrent connections. Previously it was 200 and I had to ask them to increase it twice as the popularity of parsec grew. When they increased it to 800 they said it was the last time and that any more increases would require I step up to a very expensive hosting plan.

That said, it has only reached 800 concurrent connections once and that was on Jan 2nd. Usually Tuesday thru Thursday peaks around 750 euro primetime and 650 US primetime.

My current focus is to gather more information on how often people are experiencing disconnects to figure out if they are occurring outside peak times or service provider downtimes. I am working on several ideas to automate this information gathering but in the meantime please report disconnects to support @ parsecparser . com

Over the holiday my service provider had some significant issues with their SQL servers. Which caused lots of disconnects and down time. However, it appears that those issues have finally subsided. I have not seen any SQL problems since the 29th, where before that they happened almost everyday and sometimes multiple times a day.

Another issue I face is that the service I pay for has a limit of 800 concurrent connections. Previously it was 200 and I had to ask them to increase it twice as the popularity of parsec grew. When they increased it to 800 they said it was the last time and that any more increases would require I step up to a very expensive hosting plan.

That said, it has only reached 800 concurrent connections once and that was on Jan 2nd. Usually Tuesday thru Thursday peaks around 750 euro primetime and 650 US primetime.

My current focus is to gather more information on how often people are experiencing disconnects to figure out if they are occurring outside peak times or service provider downtimes. I am working on several ideas to automate this information gathering but in the meantime please report disconnects to support @ parsecparser . com

Thanks for the reply. Will screenshot from now on every DC we get!