Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An extensive slinger Huttball Guide!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
An extensive slinger Huttball Guide!

Invictusthetaru
05.29.2012 , 03:57 PM | #1
Hey cuties, Invic here coming at you with a nice little guide on how to play your slinger effectively in Huttball.

Reason for making:

Most slingers I have come across are very inept in Huttball, to the point where it makes me want to tear my hair out. I'll see them camping the rafters, shooting at people who have NOTHING to do with the current objective.

My slinger build and personal build of choice for PVP is sab 7 / 31 / 3.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#700bcMZrI0bRRrorsZh.1

I also wanted to make this guide because I have a level 50 marauder, Guardian and Shadow as well and I know how immobile we slingers can feel at times, which is why I'm making this guide.

The start:

To start the game, and EVERY single time you respawn, go past a fire and stay up top. Every time. As a slinger you have no Z axis mobility, you need to be up top because you can always drop down, but you can't get back up. Good teams will have a sorc sprinting to your fire and an assassin attempting to get the ball of the start.

The Sorc will then rescue the assassin and begin the run. Your job is to knock that sorc down off the rafters or flat out burst him before he rescues. If no one is there, /assist your ball carrier or burn there's down.

The Game:

Okay, so you are in the heat of the game, now what? Remember what I said about staying up top, but if that's not possible you can still drop your AOE snare (incendiary grenade, orbiital strike, and a lot of other moves to impede the ball carrier)

ROOT. Root Root Root Root Root. CC. Use it. All the time. Your 4 best attributes in huttball in this order:

1. Root
2. Knock back
3. 30 m AOE 8 second stun
4. Burst

Burst is last. This is the least important thing a slinger can do, but still important. If your team has the ball and you see 3 people walking past you to get to him, knock them back. Or just knock them. They are then stuck there for 5 seconds. 5 seconds of them doing nothing with minimal resolve fill is HUGE in a fast pace game.

Always try and save your roots for the ball carrier, while you save your stuns for his support. Let your Shadow or vanguard fill his resolve, they can pull. Root the carrier, stun the support. I can't tell you how many times on offense my carrier has had low hp and I jumped and threw my AOE stun stopping 2 people from killing him. Use these abilities intelligently on offense and defense.

Be proactive. If you see people getting ahead of the ball carrier, root the carrier, knock back the support. Always. Only exception is if a sorc is already past the first fire. If this is the case, root carrier and begin your burst rotation on the sorc. Never let a sorc get ahead of the ball carrier. Make it your personal responsibility to make their life hell.

Which brings me to my next point: HUNKER DOWN.

Knowing when to use this ability in Huttball can be the difference between a win and a loss for your team. A sorc will try to stun you. Always. It will be the first thing they do after dotting you (If madness) or just the first thing they do in general because they can't deal with you in a straight up fight w/ no LoS. If you are going to try and knockback a sorc, he will beat you because you need to get in cover. This is why you must throw your 8 second stun, cover hunker knockback. All in an instant. Once you get the hang of it it becomes second nature. If you can't do this just try and cover hunker as soon as you can, and position yourself in front of him so you don't get knocked off.

Next topic, Incendiary grenade. This AOE has a 3 second snare and stuns someone for 2 seconds if they are affected by your shock charge. Good huttball players will NEVER cross the fire.

Assassins will cast resilience and sprint over

Guardians and melees will leap over

Everyone else will get rescued over. (assassins too if CDs are not up).

This means it is your job to put the snare BEFORE the fire or IN the fire if you see a sorc making his way across. I can see the sorcs now that have punched their computers with the amount of times I have done this to them and then rooted them through sprint.

Don't forget about Shock charge. This ability has with it a 30 percent snare that when coupled with incendiary grenade (even if their resolve is full) amounts to an 80 percent snare. Always drop this on the ball carrier. A slow ball carrier means more time to kill and clear the rafters of unwanted enemies.

Now, try not to get too far into their territory. I said I throw grenades to help my ball carrier. I will also stun and knockback people trying to pull him. This is done from the top rafters. Try not to get to their end zone if you can help it, because you need to be near mid as much as possible to help get the next ball. With your 5 second root and burst potential you need to be as close to mid as you can.

Upon scoring, if there is more of them than you in the mid (which means your team may have been the reason for the score, and they are all either still fighting in their endzone or dead), you need to take this moment to assess. If no one else is up top on their team, drop down and get as many players in the knockback as you can. This buys your team 5 more seconds + distance knocked back. Anyone not effected toss your roots and stuns. Don't be afraid to get close for a nutsack kick if it's necessary.

Filling a ball carriers resolve early, as in near mid, is not detrimental if you had to do it. Just something to remember. And you can still root them when it's off cooldown.

Last tip, try to avoid running the ball if you can. If you must run the ball, remember you can always get into cover and hunker down if you anticipate a move by the other team. If you have the ball and see a powertech / assassin in the fire, get the **** in cover. Little stuff like that will make all the difference. They will then burn for a bit as you avoid the pull.

I hope this guide helps and I really hope my fellow slingers reach their potential in Huttball. We are phenomenal in every warzone and can be great in huttball, just need to be smart and trust your teammates. Having a premade makes it that much deadlier, because you can synergize your abilities. I won't get into that here though, this guide is for you to be the best you can be at my favorite warzone, huttball.
Ladle- 65 Sentinel
Ladled- 65 Commando
Spinalcheck- 65 Scoundrel
Tongs-65 Gunslinger

axka
05.29.2012 , 04:18 PM | #2
Nice guide!
I really like that you are playing Sabotage!

You should make a video of some gameplay where you explain closer so it would be easier for new players or those who want to increase their skillcap to learn your ways!

Invictusthetaru
05.29.2012 , 04:26 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by axka View Post
Nice guide!
I really like that you are playing Sabotage!

You should make a video of some gameplay where you explain closer so it would be easier for new players or those who want to increase their skillcap to learn your ways!
My brother asked me to do this as well, haha. Because you said it I will. I'll make a video soon and update the OP with my commentary.
Ladle- 65 Sentinel
Ladled- 65 Commando
Tongs-65 Gunslinger

Rikeryo
05.29.2012 , 04:55 PM | #4
isn't dirty fighting more effective? just nuke dem carriers!
5% club member

Invictusthetaru
05.29.2012 , 04:58 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Rikeryo View Post
Dirty Fighting is fine but I find that the energy for burst when I REALLY need it in Huttball isn't always there, whereas I am never energy starved on my sab slinger. Any of the specs can do the most important things I listed above, I only gave my spec because people tend to ask after seeing these kinds of guides.
Ladle- 65 Sentinel
Ladled- 65 Commando
Tongs-65 Gunslinger

Renita
05.30.2012 , 07:17 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Rikeryo View Post
There are several viable specs in pvp. DF, SS, Sab, hybrids. I have actually been running with the same build, and will say that it's quite effective in pvp. I like to change my talents in SS and DF sometimes because I can never make up my mind over whether I like ballistic dampers or speeding away with dirty kick better. Sigh, I love them both. But I keep the same points in sab as the OP and let me tell you, it is the most fun I have ever had in any mmo. Incendiary grenade is so useful.

As for my strat in huttball, I agree that you should stay up top as much as possible, but I actually have had a lot of success running with the ball carrier, helping clear a path, or getting ahead for a leap or a pass while slowing our opponents. The key is to recognize when the ball carrier needs your support, and when they should be about to score, meaning you need to get back to mid to get control of the ball on respawn. a gunslinger is a great buddy for a guardian, because the guardian can leap to you, but your opponents can not.

Of course, if the opposing team has control of the ball, gunslingers are great defenders. And the tips the OP are giving are very good ones.

Invictusthetaru
06.05.2012 , 03:19 PM | #7
Video is coming soon.
Ladle- 65 Sentinel
Ladled- 65 Commando
Tongs-65 Gunslinger

flem
06.05.2012 , 10:58 PM | #8
DF will make tanks melt, but destroys legshot. SS will melt receivers and support, but will be slow vs tanks and has no snare. Sab has burst and control, but the burst is on and off, and if you go thru the rotation and your target is either not dead or has passed the ball, you can't do much to the next guy.

All can and should use positioning, Pulse, Flyby, and Hunker.
Jedi Covenant | Formerly: Squadron 840; Shii-Cho | Bring back warzone pets!