People who ninja for their companions

xhaiquan

Agreed. If people are really so concerned about gearing their companion as effectively as possible, they will have a crafter make them the purple letter gear with Presence on it.
If you are really so concerned with gearing your main character as effectively as possible, you'd have a crafter make you purple gear (if leveling) or rakata gear (if at the level cap)...

Anyway, the goal of people who are gearing their companion strictly to have the companion go straight to it's ultimate gear... it's to go from one set of gear to better gear.

Edited by ferroz

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Tarris group of 16 level 32-37 take down ancient one world boss.

3 agents in group. A nice purple protype drops clearly meant for agents. All roll need.

A sith assasin also rolls need and wins, saying he needed it for his companion.

Your sig says you unsubbed...... why do you care?

Welp bioware has said that they don't want you rolling need on stuff for your companions
I'm not sure they actually said that part

edit: the text you quoted doesn't include this statement.

and eventually they'll put in a middle 'roll for companion' type option.
That doesn't actually stop people from needing on all of their companions... just some of them.

Who knows when that will be added, if ever.

The thing is the loot that drops is weighted towards the classes running the thing
Do you have a source for this?

because that doesn't match up with my experience: random loot is random.

At least you weren't as silly as the last guy to claim this, who tried to claim that loot always was limited to the classes you had present.

If you want to test that out for yourself run BT or esseles on your high level character solo and you'll see pretty much only loot for your class dropping.
Nope. I've done them where nothing I could use dropped. Edited by ferroz

if you can consider your companions as part of your character then you can roll need on every single item that ever drops basically.
Not true; most (if not all) classes only have a subset of armor types/stats.

i cant see how that would be considered fair in group activities when noone actually uses a companion.
I often use companions.

not to mention putting gear on companions is not going to help you progress to more challenging group activities when the real players are lacking because of it.
No, I'll advance in levels, so I'll be able to progress to more challenging group activities.

can you imagine if these people could cross-server queue for group things?
Yes

and people wonder why we say it will destroy the community as greed takes over...
Yes, I do wonder why you say it will destroy the community... but that's a different thread. Edited by ferroz

I wish it were simply a forum debate. More and more I am seeing players wait for everyone else to roll greed and then roll need. I'm seeing it on greenies and even medpacks and stims. The usual explanation is, "for my companion." Sorry folks but this is just plain rude. If you want to roll need say something at the start so others who would use the item for their companion can roll need as well.

If that's true, and if enough people believe rolling need for companions is okay, then you should prepare for a shift in loot etiquette in this game, because that will become the norm.

I don't say that because I believe it's how it should be; I just say it because it's how I think it will be.

People rolling need can force the change. All they have to do is roll need and there's really nothing you can do about it. If enough people want it, they'll just do it. You can't stop them and blacklisting only works when the people getting blacklisted are in the minority (which prevents them from grouping).

The thing is the loot that drops is weighted towards the classes running the thing so there's a chance of loot for everyone and if someone rolls for their companion they really are rolling loot meant for someone else.

Yeah, that's why our run of all SI in HM Battle of Ilum dropped a BH Offhand. Should loot be calculated for classes in a group? Yes. Is it? No.

As to the OP original topic, I have yet to see somone even in a pug need on a piece for a companion. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. My advice to those that see it happen is to just smear the other person's name for as long as you can. The server will know that person's name soon enough and to avoid them.

Secondly, if even BW says that you shouldn't be needing on items for companions over playing characters; isn't that the only argument you need?

Large thread about this XD All i will say is that i personally never roll need on anything i myself cannot use on my character, that is to say i do not count a companion as my personal character.

If everyone else rolls greed or disassemble on something that would be an upgrade for my main companion that i use in combat then i will ask if they mind if i roll need on it i will not auto roll need just cos no one else has.

Hopefully there are other people who see it this way because i for one do not count a companion as a main part of the game since they only fill player slots in flashpoints and take no part in pvp or operations, and questing is pretty straight forward if they have up to date green items

Set loot rules before you engage a flashpoint or a world boss. What I do most of the times is either set to Master Looter or :

Need If you can use it and need it (duh)

Greed For your companion/alt

Pass If you don't need it for either yourself or your companion

This way you just can't go wrong.

All these people arguing they should be able to take gear for their companions need to realize a few things.

1. If we all roll need for gear our companions needs, we will be rolling need on just about every piece of gear in the game. (Ridiculous)

2. Was your companion out when the item dropped? If you were in a group, probably not. So why do you think you should take gear for a companion that doesn't help the group out. This would be like rolling need for an alt.

3. How would you feel if a shiny new light saber dropped you know would help your character out greatly, and JoeBob wins it for his companion he only uses to do Dailies on Ilum with.

The fact is that items do far more good for a player than they do for a companion, especially at 50 where your companion isn't something you use very often. If you think every piece of gear in the game should be yours for the taking, clearly you are just a selfish person.

All these people arguing they should be able to take gear for their companions need to realize a few things.

1. If we all roll need for gear our companions needs, we will be rolling need on just about every piece of gear in the game. (Ridiculous)

if everyone is rolling need, then everyone has the same fair chance.. right?

2. Was your companion out when the item dropped? If you were in a group, probably not. So why do you think you should take gear for a companion that doesn't help the group out. This would be like rolling need for an alt.

I was out, therefore I am entitled to roll. What I do with anything I win is none of anyone else's business.

3. How would you feel if a shiny new light saber dropped you know would help your character out greatly, and JoeBob wins it for his companion he only uses to do Dailies on Ilum with.

If the other player wins the roll, that's fair play. I'm happy they won something.

The fact is that items do far more good for a player than they do for a companion, especially at 50 where your companion isn't something you use very often. If you think every piece of gear in the game should be yours for the taking, clearly you are just a selfish person.

So you are deciding how much I'll use my companions at L50? You are deciding what I can roll need on, and you call me selfish?

Welp bioware has said that they don't want you rolling need on stuff for your companions and eventually they'll put in a middle 'roll for companion' type option.

The thing is the loot that drops is weighted towards the classes running the thing so there's a chance of loot for everyone and if someone rolls for their companion they really are rolling loot meant for someone else.

If you want to test that out for yourself run BT or esseles on your high level character solo and you'll see pretty much only loot for your class dropping.

for reference:

Where did Bioware say that?

if everyone is rolling need, then everyone has the same fair chance.. right?

I was out, therefore I am entitled to roll. What I do with anything I win is none of anyone else's business.

If the other player wins the roll, that's fair play. I'm happy they won something.

So you are deciding how much I'll use my companions at L50? You are deciding what I can roll need on, and you call me selfish?

I'm still undecided on where I stand on this issue, but this kind of sounds like you're arguing against need before greed in general, not just about companions.

I'm still undecided on where I stand on this issue, but this kind of sounds like you're arguing against need before greed in general, not just about companions.

Pretty much. NBG has always been a fallacy. In theory, if everyone abided by it, it'd work. But not everyone abides by it, so it is defunct.

Add to all that Bioware gas us companions which are inextricably linked to our main character and you have a situation whereby we need to gear the com anions for them to be of any use.

This has led to the 'I need it for my companion' which I agree with, while others try to dictate that companions are alts or not worthy in some way, because, it means there are more players rolling need rather than greed.

By doing that, the people who feel they have a right to loot before they actually won it, feel they are now being 'robbed' or to use their words, 'ninjas'.

The best overall solution is to simply remove the 'need' button and have a roll/pass system which is 100% fair to everyone.

No-one has yet explained why such a system is unfair.

Where has anyone at any managerial level of BioWare said such a thing? Please provide a link?

Nobody at a managerial level has said anything like that. But a bioware spokesperson did give an inference that it's how they felt.

"We will probably limit the 'need' button to only people who match the primary class the gear is meant for."

I accept that this isn't proof of anything and I accept that it's no guarantee of anything. But he did say "we", not "I". And there is a clear inference that the "we" he's speaking of believes that need should be reserved for your character, not your companion.

And sure, you can say that he's not management, and you can say that he might not be speaking for the company, but truly, that's debate-tactics. In reality, he is inferring that bioware thinks need should be for your character.

The people using this as 'set-in-stone' proof that there's a rule are over-stating. I admit that. But this person, who is speaking for Bioware ("we"), did give that inference. To say otherwise (IMO) is simply trying to win a debate. It's not a fact, I admit. But it's a very strong inference.

Nobody at a managerial level has said anything like that. But a bioware spokesperson did give an inference that it's how they felt.

"We will probably limit the 'need' button to only people who match the primary class the gear is meant for."

I accept that this isn't proof of anything and I accept that it's no guarantee of anything. But he did say "we", not "I". And there is a clear inference that the "we" he's speaking of believes that need should be reserved for your character, not your companion.

And sure, you can say that he's not management, and you can say that he might not be speaking for the company, but truly, that's debate-tactics. In reality, he is inferring that bioware thinks need should be for your character.

The people using this as 'set-in-stone' proof that there's a rule are over-stating. I admit that. But this person, who is speaking for Bioware ("we"), did give that inference. To say otherwise (IMO) is simply trying to win a debate. It's not a fact, I admit. But it's a very strong inference.

I accept inference.. I don't accept it as fact :) Which others are trying to imply.

Pretty much. NBG has always been a fallacy. In theory, if everyone abided by it, it'd work. But not everyone abides by it, so it is defunct.

Add to all that Bioware gas us companions which are inextricably linked to our main character and you have a situation whereby we need to gear the com anions for them to be of any use.

This has led to the 'I need it for my companion' which I agree with, while others try to dictate that companions are alts or not worthy in some way, because, it means there are more players rolling need rather than greed.

By doing that, the people who feel they have a right to loot before they actually won it, feel they are now being 'robbed' or to use their words, 'ninjas'.

The best overall solution is to simply remove the 'need' button and have a roll/pass system which is 100% fair to everyone.

No-one has yet explained why such a system is unfair.

I do agree with you that this game has slightly altered the paradigm in regards to NBG. A companion isn't an alt and it isn't a pet. It is far more integrated into the character.

Edited by Vecke

Not really, majority of players dont do blacklisting, if i get blacklisted by few angry nerds, so be it but so far me rolling need on anything i can use havent effected on my abilitty to find groups very fast. Also have to add that no one has left the group cause of that so i guess forum posters doesnt mirror the average player ingame.

Just keep rolling like that at lvl 50 and see what happens. There are several lvl 50s on the server I play who have been branded and are now stuck running all their dungeons with fresh 50s if they get to run them at all and raiding is out of the question for them. Thats just my server though. Your server might have alot less "angry nerds" but this is a star wars mmo so I doubt it.

Edited by Vlaxitov

He's not talking about the "why" only the "what"

You can speculate that the why is because they think that needing for companions is bad.

or you can speculate that the why is because they think that needing for companions causes them more work on the forums and in CSR tickets than the alternative, so they're doing what any developers do: they add whatever will make things easier on them. (this is driven by laziness, one of the three virtues of a programmer)

the only thing ridiculous about it is the fact that people keep parroting it when it's not true.

I was out. I roll for something I want, just like the other people who want it.

I'm fine with that.

The fact is that items do far more good for a player than they do for a companion, especially at 50 where your companion isn't something you use very often.
No, at 50 I use my companions quite a bit.

If you think every piece of gear in the game should be yours for the taking, clearly you are just a selfish person.
Strawman argument, along with an ad hominem fallacy.

You just needed one more for the fallacy hat trick. To bad.

The bottom line is that people have different ideas of what things mean. Those who think it's ok to take for their companions are out there for themselves. Because they are ok with taking advantage of those who want to be more polite about even distribution.

Simple as that.

BW REALLY needs to take this system out. It only helps the selfish minority, and hurts everyone else.

The bottom line is that people have different ideas of what things mean. Those who think it's ok to take for their companions are out there for themselves.

Well I'm not doing the group run to gear you up. I'm sorry, that may sound harsh, but when I do a run, I usually do it to get gear for me and my companions.

There are times I'll do a run specifically to get gear for another player, but, typically, people do these runs for gear for themselves, not you.

Because they are ok with taking advantage of those who want to be more polite about even distribution.

If you decide to roll pass/greed, and I roll need, how am I taking advantage? It was your decision to roll greed/pass, not mine. There is no taking advantage of anything.

Simple as that.

Surely just an opinion?

BW REALLY needs to take this system out. It only helps the selfish minority, and hurts everyone else.

I agree, the ones who want us to not roll and just hand over the gear they believe they are entitled to, are being very selfish.