Class Changes: Lethality Operative / Ruffian Scoundrel

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Below are the upcoming changes for Lethality and Ruffian along with the notes from the dev team on why they are occurring.

Note: All changes below are currently in development and are subject to change before being released.

Operative

Lethality

• Corrosive Assault weapon damage has been increased by 13.97% but it no longer triggers Toxic Blast damage
  • Corrosive Assault no longer deals additional damage per poison effect. Instead, Corrosive Assault weapon damage now triggers additional damage from your periodic poison effects
  • Toxic Blast now costs 10 Energy and deals 14.29% more damage

Scoundrel

Ruffian

• Brutal Shots weapon damage has been increased by 13.97% but it no longer triggers Sanguinary Shot damage
  • Brutal Shots no longer deals additional damage per bleed effect. Instead, Brutal Shots weapon damage now triggers additional damage from your periodic bleed effects
  • Sanguinary Shot now costs 10 Energy and deals 14.29% more damage

DevNotes: The Lethality / Ruffian discipline was overperforming, so we made a few changes that lower its DPS down to the appropriate target. Corrosive Assault / Brutal Shots saw the bulk of the changes for Lethality / Ruffian because the ability was responsible for the bulk of the discipline’s damage. The triggered damage from Lethality / Ruffian periodic effects is less than the poison / bleed damage from the Corrosive Assault / Brutal Shots ability which it is replacing, causing overall DPS output to go down.

The increase to Toxic Blast’s / Sanguinary Shot’s cost along with the fact that it is no longer triggered by Corrosive Assault / Brutal Shots weapon damage means that its overall effectiveness has been reduced as well. We increased the energy cost of Toxic Blast / Sanguinary Shot because energy management for Lethality / Ruffian was trivial to the point that Adrenaline Probe / Cool Head and Rifle Shot / Flurry of Bolts often never needed to be used by the discipline.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG not a nuke from orbit from what I can tell at a glance! Thanks, my guildies were getting tired of my :sob: emojis in Discord as I anticipated the worst!

Now to actually read the post in detail :rak_03:

Edit: So yeah, definitely a nerf, but I'm thinking it could've been a lot worse. I'll have to look at my previous parses when I get home to gauge the overall effect I can expect from this. I'm a little worried about the +10 cost to Sanguinary Shot, though - a sort of 'stealth nerf' may come in the form of using Flurry of Bolts as a filler instead of Quick Shot. I just hope I don't need to use more Flurries than I do Quicks now to maintain...

Edited by masterceil

The triggered damage from Lethality / Ruffian periodic effects is less than the poison / bleed damage from the Corrosive Assault / Brutal Shots ability which it is replacing, causing overall DPS output to go down.

So is the new damage the same damage as the dot ticks, or is it some unknown decrease?

So is the new damage the same damage as the dot ticks, or is it some unknown decrease?

That's my second-biggest question mark right now (first being whether 1:1 replacement of Flurry of Bolts instead of Quick Shot will be enough to sustain Sanguinary Shot's energy cost).

Brutal Shots no longer deals additional damage per bleed effect. Instead, Brutal Shots weapon damage now triggers additional damage from your periodic bleed effects

How much "additional damage"? Is it just an extra tick of Shrap Bomb/Vital Shot's regular damage values? Some percentage? Some unrelated, unknown number?

With the old damage it was around 2k-6k dmg per dot. Now its going to hit the target with the dot damage instead. Which is around 1.5k-4k depending on crits. Except for toxic blast dot, which is low, doing 675-1242 dmg a tick.

Edited by killatroll

So with my rough calculations and looking at parses I got to be around a 300 dps nerf. Reasonable nerfs don't seem to be outside the abilities of bw.

Hey, nice. It looked every bit of the 400-500 dps nerf I personally was expecting, but I haven't looked at my own numbers yet.

Anyone else not at work able to do some more math on this? :rak_03:

Safe assumption is that it's an extra tick from each of the DoTs, which I would think to be the minimum, anyway.

Yeah this is what I assumed, similar to how virulence works, but just does the same damage damage as dots instead of reproccing dots (so to not also proc toxic blast which would make there not really be a nerf at all). It might not be this at all but it's the best we have, and it would make the nerf reasonable (not staying quite as far ahead while still being at or near the top).

Edited by shyroman

The triggered damage from Lethality / Ruffian periodic effects is less than the poison / bleed damage from the Corrosive Assault / Brutal Shots ability which it is replacing, causing overall DPS output to go down.

-eric

I have a feeling this means a bigger nerf to this spec than the post seems to let on, depending on how they tinker with the numbers here.

Safe assumption is that it's an extra tick from each of the DoTs, which I would think to be the minimum, anyway.

My experience with BW's nerfs/buffs is that it is almost never what you'd expect.

Why can't we get some exact numbers on this one, while the other 2 changes gave us 2 digit %?

Corrosive Assault weapon damage has been increased by 13.97% but it no longer triggers Toxic Blast damage

Corrosive Assault no longer deals additional damage per poison effect. Instead, Corrosive Assault weapon damage now triggers additional damage from your periodic poison effects

So CA was like 45% Weapon damage + 40% additional tech damage +15% Toxic Blast damage

Take the remaining 45% and add the 14% "damage increase" and we're at 51% of its original damage.

Two extra ticks of poison damage are around 30% so we're back at 81%

The question is now whether those extra poison ticks trigger toxic blast. If they do, we still get 10% of the TB damage and are at 91% of the original damage. Corrosive Assault is about 45% of Lethality's damage. so it's about a 4-5% dps loss in total.

If the extra poison ticks don't trigger toxic blast it's a 8-9% dps loss, but by basically taking TB out of the rotation, it becomes much easier to switch targets, and in PVP much harder for an opponent to cleanse at the right time. Might actually be worth it outside of dummy parsing.

Edited by Mubrak

Surprised A LOT by these changes. Thought they were going to nerf Lethality as much as they did to Virulence and Arsenal. Don't really see this putting us a lot down on the boards, besides maybe a ~500 DPS nerf to top parses max. Curious to see how much of a change it is though and if with the additional energy cost from Toxic Blast, we may have to conserve energy more and use probe a lot more on CD.

At first glance it seems not all that bad. The initial damage goes up, the more important bleeding/poison damage goes down. So, for low-levels, say level 10-40, I would expect this spec will do a lot better. People saying Ruffian/Lethality is bad and quit at level 20, willl now think twice. Thanks! This spec needed that.

I think the 10 energy on Sanguinary Shot will not be that big of a deal. So the spec is less for elitists, more friendly for low-levels, more friendly for those who do not play the spec perfect.

Still of course there's a lot of "if you do X then Y will do Z" stuff. So still not trivial, which I like. Yes, its still learn-to-play.

Now we wait for the Scrapper/Concealment-spec...

Edited by Lupolus

At first glance it seems not all that bad. The initial damage goes up, the more important bleeding/poison damage goes down. So, for low-levels, say level 10-40, I would expect this spec will do a lot better. People saying Ruffian/Lethality is bad and quit at level 20, willl now think twice. Thanks! This spec needed that.

I think the 10 energy on Sanguinary Shot will not be that big of a deal. So the spec is less for elitists, more friendly for low-levels, more friendly for those who do not play the spec perfect.

Still of course there's a lot of "if you do X then Y will do Z" stuff. So still not trivial, which I like. Yes, its still learn-to-play.

Now we wait for the Scrapper/Concealment-spec...

I am going to go ahead and say making Sanguinary shot/Toxic blast cost energy is going to make it more elitist as you have to deal with energy management now instead of not really before hand. The initial damage may help those who aren't experts or very familiar with the spec but overall, its going to be more difficult to parse on bosses/dummies.

So CA was like 45% Weapon damage + 40% additional tech damage +15% Toxic Blast damage

Take the remaining 45% and add the 14% "damage increase" and we're at 51% of its original damage.

Two extra ticks of poison damage are around 30% so we're back at 81%

The question is now whether those extra poison ticks trigger toxic blast. If they do, we still get 10% of the TB damage and are at 91% of the original damage. Corrosive Assault is about 45% of Lethality's damage. so it's about a 4-5% dps loss in total.

If the extra poison ticks don't trigger toxic blast it's a 8-9% dps loss, but by basically taking TB out of the rotation, it becomes much easier to switch targets, and in PVP much harder for an opponent to cleanse at the right time. Might actually be worth it outside of dummy parsing.

I am more worried about the rotation. Hopefully it doesn't go negative impact. 10 energy seems little but it might just hit the rotation heavily since you'll be spamming TB in a rather short amount of time.

Class Changes? Lol. Easier target swap? No. Better dot spread? No. Less then four CDs to start doing damage? No. Overall quality of life improvments? NO. Let's just nerf damage and call it "Class Changes". I do not understand, why they want to keep Toxic Blast after this changes, it has no synergy with Cull anymore, just give us another weak dot to spam.

And what about PvP? Look, everybody plays lethality in pvp! Well, nope. And now this spec will be even less popular.

If you nerf spec, then give something in return. But who cares. As always.