Side Strats Suck

BlissDivine

On the maps Alderaan Civil War and Yavin Ruins I see way too many teams starting out using "Side Strats". This is where the team tries to get the two side nodes which are farthest apart.

The average player in regs is not good at rotating to defend the node that's being attacked. They are either too slow to rotate or over-rotate. This is why this strategy usually fails.

Now some players might be thinking, "I've used side strats and won before". . . this is because you had the superior team in damage, heals and rotations. Which means if you have the superior team it would have been easier to win by getting MID and the node where your re-spawn is.

The only time I think Side Strats are valid is if you have multiple stealth.

On the maps Alderaan Civil War and Yavin Ruins I see way too many teams starting out using "Side Strats". This is where the team tries to get the two side nodes which are farthest apart.

The average player in regs is not good at rotating to defend the node that's being attacked. They are either too slow to rotate or over-rotate. This is why this strategy usually fails.

Now some players might be thinking, "I've used side strats and won before". . . this is because you had the superior team in damage, heals and rotations. Which means if you have the superior team it would have been easier to win by getting MID and the node where your re-spawn is.

Umm.... yes, death matching mid for 10 minutes even if it's clear as day team will never cap it is a better strategy, yes ? And the brag in chat '' look at my macho dps"... ;)

The avarage player is not good at many things. but you, who are above average, have to cap a side node most of time alone, because they will never do it. Or at least you have to try... It's up to you to make the difference for them.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

the whole point of side strats is just to get YOUR side first. in map like civil war, who ever gets their own side node first should win the game a vast majority of the time if they know what they are doing. you only need 1 node to win civil war. sadly I think most people believe that you need to have two to win that map, but winning with just 1 node is so much easier.

just yesterday in a voidstar, my team managed to win a game with "side strats" because they let me solo sap cap one side while they rest of them stayed on the other side. my team managed to have I think 3 kills in total, the other team had around 55 kills at the end of the match, but we won because of side strats superiority instead of deathmatching.

You must realise that 80% of players think like you do and go mid. Why do you think there is always a stalemate at mid?

When the other guys are going to always do the same thing, it’s best to not be as predictable.

Every tactic is viable and you should be flexible and not say it’s only valid if there are stealth.

The trick is being able to read the game and see what will and won’t work. That’s where the problem is. It’s not the side strats, it’s people who can’t read the play and use the appropriate tactics needed to win the match.

I often let my team go left and centre and I go right 90% of the time because the other side either sends no one to cap it or I can kill who ever they send.

If they send more than 2, then I play delaying tactics as long as I can so my team can have a numbers advantage to take the other 2 nodes.

If I take the node and my team can’t cap mid or the other side quickly, at least we get a head start in the points count down.

Side strats actually work better in Yavin than civil war.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

The trick is being able to read the game and see what will and won’t work.

This. IMO.

Too many people try the same thing over and over and over. I realize that sometimes they just don't care, and keep going mid because that's where the fight is and they just want to fight. But to that guy that kept trying to ninja-cap the voidstar door I was solo guarding the other day... and my team was responding to my inc calls fast and appropriately... maybe after the 4th try, do something different for the 5th? :p (To be fair, he was trying different ways of knocking me out of stealth before trying to cap... but still.)

The trick is being able to read the game and see what will and won’t work.

The trick is communication let people know before the match starts if you want to try splitting 4 and 4 to each node. Side splits will work if done right, but mostly they work if the 2 (sometimes 3 if you're lucky) guys that go mid can hold off the cap long enough for the sides to be taken. It just sucks big time to be one of the few that go mid.

I've been in games where I'm the only one to go mid - fun times. Then some twit yells at you when mid gets taken. Well duh.

Most games, unless you're up against a really bad team, then the split just lets the other team take mid fast, and then go get their side node next. Easy peasy - for them.

Too many people try the same thing over and over and over.

Yeah this drives me crazy. if you find no one can seem to take mid, then that's when someone needs to communicate that some ought to hit a side that is not controlled. Mid is good to control for obvious reasons, it's the closest and easiest point to control besides the one side which we usually call "our side."

If I am on my healer, I will often say "hey, will a dps go with me let's hit a side." Sometimes, someone joins me, other times, I go to the side and no one comes... And mid gets taken because I left mid and stopped healing them.

A lot of times I have proposed hitting a side, and someone will say "No! Stay mid." I have had that said, and the match lasts an eternity and eventually someone does get mid, but so much time was wasted doing so.

The trick is communication let people know before the match starts if you want to try splitting 4 and 4 to each node. Side splits will work if done right, but mostly they work if the 2 (sometimes 3 if you're lucky) guys that go mid can hold off the cap long enough for the sides to be taken. It just sucks big time to be one of the few that go mid.

I've been in games where I'm the only one to go mid - fun times. Then some twit yells at you when mid gets taken. Well duh.

Most games, unless you're up against a really bad team, then the split just lets the other team take mid fast, and then go get their side node next. Easy peasy - for them.

I always disagree with the 4/4 split at the start. It’s a free mid cap for them if you do that and no guarantee you’ll get both sides because they only need to send one person to cap it and the rest can split.

If taking both sides is the idea, then you need someone to distract at mid or be the sacrificial lamb(s). Preferably someone(s) who can tie enough of them up while your guys take the sides.

I agree that more communication would be great at the start. But most people just ignore it or ruin the strategy regardless.

I know if I say I’m going right at the start and not to follow me, half the damn team will follow me and completely ruin the tactic. So I don’t tell them I’m doing it and hope they all run mid instead.

It’s the same as when mid is a stalemate or my team can’t take it from them, so I head to their other node to “pull” defenders from mid when their guy calls inc.

What astounds me is when my idiot team’s follow them instead of pushing the advantage. They see half their team running to the other node and as they respawn, they follow them?? I feel like bashing my head on the desk because they’ve totally negated the reason I went there in the first place.

I can be yelling in chat, over and over, don’t follow me, just push the other node. But no, I look to see I’ve pull half the enemy team and my guys are following them to where I’m in a 1v3 delaying pattern,

I don’t mind my suicide runs, which is what that tactic is 50% of the time. But I do mind dying for no reason because my team is as dumb as dirty and won’t follow directions.

The issue isn’t communication, it’s people who don’t listen, don’t care to listen, don’t look at the chat or those that think they know best and troll.

I’ve given up giving directions now. I play the tactics I think will win.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

This. IMO.

Too many people try the same thing over and over and over. I realize that sometimes they just don't care, and keep going mid because that's where the fight is and they just want to fight. But to that guy that kept trying to ninja-cap the voidstar door I was solo guarding the other day... and my team was responding to my inc calls fast and appropriately... maybe after the 4th try, do something different for the 5th? :p (To be fair, he was trying different ways of knocking me out of stealth before trying to cap... but still.)

LoL, hit and run. That’s my tactic. Make you fight me and call inc, then run like hell so my team has the numbers on the other side,

Of course if you have a team who has a brain, they will see there is only one person and some will quickly turn around and run back. Sadly that is rarely the case and 3-4 of them will spend too much time trying to chase me down to kill me, which is my goal. So it works a lot.

There are always exceptions but I agree for the most part. It's usually better to go heavy to mid when the match starts.

That isn't to say that you shouldn't send someone at their side note at the start, but it's best to keep it small if you do. Going heavy to their side node usually just results in mid being lost early, and mid is always the best node to own as it is easiest to defend.

Yavin you can sometimes get away with going a little heavier to theirs (with three for example) since it is easy to rotate on that map, but at least one of the three should immediately change direction and go up the side stairs to mid if they only see one enemy headed toward that side's node.

The only times I've seen going heavy to the sides payoff has been when one team was clearly a lot stronger than the other, in which case like the OP stated, they'd have probably won if they went mid too.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

just yesterday in a voidstar, my team managed to win a game with "side strats" because they let me solo sap cap one side while they rest of them stayed on the other side. my team managed to have I think 3 kills in total, the other team had around 55 kills at the end of the match, but we won because of side strats superiority instead of deathmatching.

I was in that match against you. You won because of superior stealth skill stalling our door caps. Then you played excellent stealth games on the other door as attacker. :(

Our team wasn't necessarily deathmatching -- and we skillfully stunned, KB'd, and slowed. But we basically lost because every time we tried to cap a door, a shadow would run up in stealth and block the cap, which gave your team enough time to respawn.

Ofc, I was on my sent, and if we had a deathmatcher premade with us, they sure as fk didn't heal me once. :D So I don't think we had heals.

The trick is communication let people know before the match starts if you want to try splitting 4 and 4 to each node.

This.

But there's also too many GD Rambos trying to be the hero. Communicate and look at the game.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Problem with side strats is that most of the teams doing it suck and are actually trying to avoid pvping. 2-3 sometimes 4 go to the off node and fail to take it almost every time, the few that go mid hoping to not give away the most important node get obliterated, and very often the one who went to our natural node fails to call inc and loses it. And upon respawn you look at the map and see your teams color dots spread across all 3 nodes while the other team all rotate together.

I wasn’t a gamer before this game came out but lately I’ve been enjoying playing console games, specifically the new Spider-Man game. Can’t believe I missed out all these years on the joys of playing alone and not having to deal with the stupidity of stuff like “side strats”

Edited by ace_boogie

I tend to go to the off-node at beginning of Civil, Yavin, and Coast regardless of my class simply because I can constistantly hold up to 3 of the enemy team against me or cap if there r less. Now if anyone else comes especially a stealth I'll turn around.

It's simple math. If I am 1v3 my team should have a much easier time capping Mid. The intent usually isn't to cap as much as stall and spread out there team. Now going off node on Hyper Gate at the beginning is usually just dumb unless u r a very capable stealth as u just give them free points.

Also when you take both sides u always want to rotate back mid when they move as it is definitely easier to defend. Most teams way over-commit and send like 6 or 7 to off node once taking mid making it really easy to then grab mid and maintain your lead. When they send 7 back mid to take it back, I go back to off node to once again split there focus (usually causing them to either under or over-commit again)

Standing and fighting entire teams at Mid the whole game is not how u win games. That's how u brag about DPS / HPS numbers that are pointless in a loss, most DPS in a loss where the team fought at mid the entire time just means u r predictable and know your PVE rotation. Good job....?

I tend to go to the off-node at beginning of Civil, Yavin, and Coast regardless of my class simply because I can constistantly hold up to 3 of the enemy team against me or cap if there r less. Now if anyone else comes especially a stealth I'll turn around.

It's simple math. If I am 1v3 my team should have a much easier time capping Mid. The intent usually isn't to cap as much as stall and spread out there team. Now going off node on Hyper Gate at the beginning is usually just dumb unless u r a very capable stealth as u just give them free points.

Also when you take both sides u always want to rotate back mid when they move as it is definitely easier to defend. Most teams way over-commit and send like 6 or 7 to off node once taking mid making it really easy to then grab mid and maintain your lead. When they send 7 back mid to take it back, I go back to off node to once again split there focus (usually causing them to either under or over-commit again)

Standing and fighting entire teams at Mid the whole game is not how u win games. That's how u brag about DPS / HPS numbers that are pointless in a loss, most DPS in a loss where the team fought at mid the entire time just means u r predictable and know your PVE rotation. Good job....?

I do exactly the same for the same reasons

I often do that as well, unless a stealth or other teammates are headed that way.

I wouldn't really call that a Side Strategy though. To me a Side Strategy is when your team focuses it's main effort on a side node at start rather than mid. If one or two people go to opposing team's side note at start, mid is still the team's main effort.

As an op I will not go if a merc or jugg leeroy the offnode. It bugs the hell outta me.

At this point you get a better/more fun 1v1 if you go for the home node. Better player tend to solo the far node.

It is also fun to flash bang cap a guy who came to sap cap you.

That being said, in civil war the best strat is 2/5/1. It keeps you from getting your home capped quick, gives a good fight in mid and gives a stealth a chance to do something offnode. Non-stealth stop going offnode.

Edited by mhobin

As an op I will not go if a merc or jugg leeroy the offnode. It bugs the hell outta me.

At this point you get a better/more fun 1v1 if you go for the home node. Better player tend to solo the far node.

It is also fun to flash bang cap a guy who came to sap cap you.

That being said, in civil war the best strat is 2/5/1. It keeps you from getting your home capped quick, gives a good fight in mid and gives a stealth a chance to do something offnode. Non-stealth stop going offnode.

Like I said if a stealth is also going that way I turn around, or sometimes use a ranged attack then kite away and see if they chase for stuns while said stealth caps.

If I come to a node late in the game. It's simple. U expect the double mez, or mez then hard stun.

Never break a cc while trying to cap an off-node that a stealth is guarding (unless they follow with hard stun and a proper opener), they have to leave stealth soon enough. When they do finally come out u are usually white barred which is a + to beating them in a 1v1.

As a stealth guarding. I let them start capping then stealth cc when .5 seconds r left in cap. Depending on the class, that's when I call incoming. If its a class that can be easily solo'd (pretty much anything but Jugg Tank or Merc). U just use the first part of an opener after cc wears off, again with .5 seconds left in cap. Then hard stun, continue opener, flash-bang/lift (if they r still alive) before delivering the killing blow.

This game isn't hard, especially Regs. The easiest way to win is to go where less of them are and exploit that. Simple GG.

To say non-stealth stop going off node is nieve.

Stealth should be initially going to guard! Stealth guarding v stealth capping means one is put at a huge disadvantage at some point depending on other players actions (which one leaves stealth first often loses). Most classes: Sniper, Jugg, Mara, Sorc, Merc can handle stealth just fine especially after u force them to combat stealth.

If u do force a combat stealth that's once again fine, meaning if they want to live and stop your cap they r calling for help making the numbers elsewhere in your teams favour.

They expect a stealth to try to take off node so when u see say a mara come running at the beginning they do 1 of 2 things. Call for help, or think they can pull it off. Simply show them how both choices r wrong.

As a stealth going to stop cap at the beginning, well that's just too easy. Most players still mess it up as they do not understand resolve.

Agree with 2-5-1 but not that that 1 should always be a stealth. Only in Hyper Gate should it ALWAYS be a stealth. Or in Voidstar where it should always be 7-1(maybe 2).

Heh side strats these days are a laugh. Like some1 said before, you must cap a node asap. Should be highest priority, therefore sending 2 or 3 to home node is most viable but hardly ever happens. If you cap a node 1st, you should most likely win if skill is similar. Off node should be contested too but not sacrificing mid as it happens currently. Sending at least 4 to mid should happen with healer going there assuming there isnt like 3 healers....

Its not hard to do the right thing in wz, and initial strats should be based on YOUR composition. Then adapt.

Fail stupid tactics with 2 or 3 going far and getting wiped constantly is not helping anything.

If one or two people go to opposing team's side note at start, mid is still the team's main effort.

The problem when 1-2 go to "their" side at the start of Civil War is that usually the lemmings all follow and me and one other end up at mid where we get demolished in .001 secs losing it immediately. Then, your supposed advantage you had on the side node is erased in 10 seconds when mid sends reinforcements to the side and you fail to get that too.

There's lots of ways to win, and sometimes sending 1-2 to a side works. I honestly see it fail more often though. I prefer the standard way of winning Civil War, that being send 1 to "our" side, then send the rest of the team to mid. Get mid, then send reinforcements to "our" side node if it needs it. This method is straight forward and simple. When you try to get cute with a PUG team, it usually fails.

Get mid, then send reinforcements to "our" side node if it needs it.

Also in CW if you go mid, you can almost always just SEE if the other team is sending a bunch to your side node. I mean, if you see 4 red guys running off to the side, chances are they are not circling around to go under and back to their own side node. So then I can look at the little dots on my minimap and decide if our own side node is going to need help, or if I should die at mid instead.

This method is straight forward and simple. When you try to get cute with a PUG team, it usually fails.

And that.

Just watch vid. It's actually good. You also get told of the risks of certain plays.

Agreed.

I think the take away for most people is use the mini map, look around and count how many enemy there are and how many friendlies there are and distribute accordingly to give your team an advantage if you can

If you find your team is at a disadvantage, you should be trying to even the numbers if appropriate.

If you don’t know what you are doing, then don’t try to do radical stuff. If in doubt, push the main node with the majority of the team.

But its a shame most people can’t count to 8, let alone 16.

Edited by Totemdancer