Workaround for excessive mouse sensitivity when moving

Langkard

Many of us who have played other games find the movement far too sensitive when turning and moving using the mouse (either with the keyboard + right mouse button or left button + right button together). Here is a simple workaround that will help, without having to go outside the game and mess with your mouse software itself.

In preferences, turn the "Camera Pivot Speed" slider down to a bare minimum. It starts pretty low already at a default of 6%, but turn it down even more. I set mine down to 3-4% and suddenly my movements using the mouse to turn were much smoother and more like other games. It will eliminate the too fast spinning movement and make gameplay more standard.

To BioWare: please consider either adding a separate slider for turning via mouse sensitivity or turn down, internally, the camera pivot speed. The default of 6% is way too "loose" and doesn't leave much room for improvement by turning it lower. Anything above 10% makes the game essentially unplayable using the right mouse button for turning. This obviously needs some adjustment.

Fast-turning camera's in games annoy me to no end (I get disoriented really easily if the camera turns too fast). I had to turn it down to 2% to be bearable with the sensitivity of my mouse, and I'm only at 50% of the max DPI of my mouse... I pity the folks who use a really high DPI. Edited by Amarinth

I don't know how many times I personally reported this ~flaw~ during beta, or how many times other people brought it up in reports or on the forums (saw it often).

Curious why (or HOW??!!) bioware can think any setting above the 10% mark is even remotely playable. The scale of choice on that bar is ridiculously skewed. I have to personally run at 1%. Which gives very little room for fine tuning. Grr.

• 11 months later...

still no fix to this?

back after 11 months or something and i cant play this game properly.. i have the slider on 0% and 400 dpi on my mouse and the rotation is speed about what i want. The problem is that the target speed is to slow now... so i can either have to right rotation speed or correct target speed...not both!

I know that if I turn off windows mouse acceleration and have the pointers 'speed' set at the default 50% mark then the in-game slider works more appropriately. It does still feel like it is a straight up multiplier rather than a percent though IMO a decimal point is in the wrong pace so at 6% you are getting 6x movement speed rather than .06x. (or something along those lines)

I know that if I turn off windows mouse acceleration and have the pointers 'speed' set at the default 50% mark then the in-game slider works more appropriately. It does still feel like it is a straight up multiplier rather than a percent though IMO a decimal point is in the wrong pace so at 6% you are getting 6x movement speed rather than .06x. (or something along those lines)

Changing the mouse acceleration in Windows also messes with how the pointer moves there, though, so I have to change it back when I'm not playing the game. My mouse is also equipped with a button to change the DPI, which works as well and the camera is much better, but then the mouse pointer itself is super slow and navigating menus/inventory/etc becomes annoying.

Either way, there really needs to be a fix for this. Half the time I end up spinning in a complete circle when I'm trying to just turn around and it's really irritating.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

bumb.

go try to play with the Razer Naga or a similar modern mouse. 1% is way too fast, nevermind the other 99%.

do i really have to mess with my DPI and mouse speed everytime just for swtor? theres not a single other game i ever had a problem with like this.

Edited by FrankyFin

• 5 months later...
Many of us who have played other games find the movement far too sensitive when turning and moving using the mouse (either with the keyboard + right mouse button or left button + right button together). Here is a simple workaround that will help, without having to go outside the game and mess with your mouse software itself.

In preferences, turn the "Camera Pivot Speed" slider down to a bare minimum. It starts pretty low already at a default of 6%, but turn it down even more. I set mine down to 3-4% and suddenly my movements using the mouse to turn were much smoother and more like other games. It will eliminate the too fast spinning movement and make gameplay more standard.

To BioWare: please consider either adding a separate slider for turning via mouse sensitivity or turn down, internally, the camera pivot speed. The default of 6% is way too "loose" and doesn't leave much room for improvement by turning it lower. Anything above 10% makes the game essentially unplayable using the right mouse button for turning. This obviously needs some adjustment.

I tired this slide it to 3% and it works now I don't have to quit the game again

• 1 year later...
Nevermind all that... Now that we can only increase or decrease the mouse sensitivity in increments of 25%, this is terrible. I jacked the mouse speed to 0, too slow, up 25% and it's so fast I can't play. If I change the dpi or speed manually through my mouse driver, it's either too fast navigating the UI and fine turning the camera, or it's the opposite. What's worst, I can't find the ini file in the place it's supposed to be so I can tweak the mouse look speed manually.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...