Playable and Companion species suggestion checklist thread

Vitas

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played the SW and SI story lines with a friend where he was a pure blood and I was Human and you could not tell that at any point the people we were talking to saw either character differently or as anything other than human.

Unless the Pureblood was the SI, then you mustn't have devoted much attention to the dialogue.

Unless the Pureblood was the SI, then you mustn't have devoted much attention to the dialogue.

I played a SI pureblood and I think through the whole story I got two unique options and neither was in the class story. Infact the class story clearly was not expecting the SI to be a pue blood at all, which we know originaly they could not be. Now we can have Jedi KnightPurebloods, and Chiss Troopers which people have already complained that some conversation dialog makes no sence. However I dont think they ever expected the legacy system to open species, and were suprised that the lack of species bothered so many people.

On a side note, while I am happy to see new species coming in I wish thye had given us more information than just a picture of a Cathar and I hope its more than just the one species.

I took time from my beloved obession (TOR) to post a bit today.

This list is amazing and the community is speaking to the developers.

Now the fact that many of us MMO vets know that we will never see those top races for a few reason...

1. If It was in starwars galaxies a playable race, it's never going to be in the kotor EU MMO (TOR) (humans are the exception)

2. If it requires and entire new set of armor due to alien cosmetics then we will have to wait for the expansion.

3. List of any type fly in the face of a hardcoded developer arrogance that will never change regardless of the forum rage. They will not ever give the majority of players want they want ever. it's like me telling a very educated doctor how to run his practise. even though that doctor may not have the ability buisness wise to run it, he wont listen to me since I lack his medical education.

4. Developers never poll ingame or the forums before such features are added because they will add it regardless if you want them to our not (see dev arrogance above)

Bottom line for me is i'm happy believe it or not with any new content or features. but I would love to see devs reach out for the first time in MMO history and poll us on what we really want as a playable race for TOR or other changes coming.

Still i'm happy to get anything new so don't take me to serious brohams..

I have come to lend my aid in this effort! SWTOR need more alien races... And I mean real alien races, not just colored humans with things stucking out of their head.... Preferibly the Trandoshans in my book. I would however also settle with the Gormak.

The Republic can have the lame voss. The empire can have the awesome Gormak. Seems fair to everyone? Great!

I'm seeing that the Selonians are available as Jedi. This is troublesome, as the lore for the species makes it clear that Selonians are not eligible for Jedi status. I could see a Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, and Imperial Agent however. Perhaps a Sith Inquisitor as well, as they are slaves. However, I don't see Sith Warrior, Jedi Knight, or Jedi Consular working because they require the Selonian who is a force user to become a member of a foreign agency officially. The Imperial Agent works as a spy (and the various cover stories you use work well, as any renegade Selonian would need to be very renegade.

However, a Selonian Jedi or Soldier doesn't work so well because Selonians tend to be pretty insular and isolationist. There's also the problem that the fertile males would be pretty rare off planet/outside of the Corellian system. Any Selonian character would need at least a little dialogue in their prologue explaining why they're not on Selonia, unfortunately. As much as I want to play a Selonian Sage, it doesn't seem like it would work very well as a player species.

Bothans are listed as having Trooper and Jedi Knight, which seems a little inconsistent with Bothans. I can definitely see the Imperial Agent (Bothan Spynet, anyone?) and the Jedi Consular though. I'd be interested to see how Bioware made everyone's favorite llamadog spies as models in the game. The new image of Cathar suggests that it could be quite good if they worked at it.

Edited by Cavesk
Need to include information about Bothans

I'm seeing that the Selonians are available as Jedi. This is troublesome, as the lore for the species makes it clear that Selonians are not eligible for Jedi status. I could see a Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, and Imperial Agent however. Perhaps a Sith Inquisitor as well, as they are slaves. However, I don't see Sith Warrior, Jedi Knight, or Jedi Consular working because they require the Selonian who is a force user to become a member of a foreign agency officially. The Imperial Agent works as a spy (and the various cover stories you use work well, as any renegade Selonian would need to be very renegade.

However, a Selonian Jedi or Soldier doesn't work so well because Selonians tend to be pretty insular and isolationist. There's also the problem that the fertile males would be pretty rare off planet/outside of the Corellian system. Any Selonian character would need at least a little dialogue in their prologue explaining why they're not on Selonia, unfortunately. As much as I want to play a Selonian Sage, it doesn't seem like it would work very well as a player species.

Bothans are listed as having Trooper and Jedi Knight, which seems a little inconsistent with Bothans. I can definitely see the Imperial Agent (Bothan Spynet, anyone?) and the Jedi Consular though. I'd be interested to see how Bioware made everyone's favorite llamadog spies as models in the game. The new image of Cathar suggests that it could be quite good if they worked at it.

Some Selonians have been known to be force-sensitive, though not many. One example is Zonder, a Selonian who became a Jedi. Whilst we may not see many Jedi or Sith Selonians, remember that the player's species is in no way canonical.

There have been some Bothans who'd become Jedi. For example Glynn-Beti, Kai Hudorra and Knol Ven'nari.

Edited by Vitas

Some Selonians have been known to be force-sensitive, though not many. One example is Zonder, a Selonian who became a Jedi. Whilst we may not see many Jedi or Sith Selonians, remember that the player's species is in no way canonical.

There have been some Bothans who'd become Jedi. For example Glynn-Beti, Kai Hudorra and Knol Ven'nari.

Bothans are unlikely to be Troopers in the way in which the Republic Trooper is a soldier. You don't run into many in the canon who are more than schemers and officers, and the ones you do run into are generally operatives and pilots. For the same reason, a Bothan Jedi Knight is remarkably less likely than a Jedi Consular.

As to Selonians, while Zonder is a good example (and one I've used as an excuse to play them in tabletop :3 ) an exception doesn't automatically disprove the rule. Like I said, I don't see the Selonians becoming Jedi except in extremely rare, even unique cases. It would require at least some work around, some explanation, if it wasn't a legacy unlock (in which case you're not assumed to be one by the story anyway, so it's your own fault for playing it, now isn't it?)

And now for something completely different: Turian Imperial Agents. Then we can make the best snipers on the Citadel. :rolleyes:

Edited by Cavesk

Right off the bat, that's an impressive list. And its great to see that Bioware is going to add more species like the players want. Cathar aren't the most obvious choice but I appreciate whatever I can get. I feel like the more species they add, the closer they come to truly creating an authentic universe. Filar-nitzan... I can't even imagine that as a species, but if it was used I'd be soundly impressed. But more than anything, I'd like to see the Starweird in the game. As enemies, fantastic. As companions, mind-blowing. Edited by boatonthesea

Everything about this game has been really impressive and I look forward to all of the new features to come. However, anytime ITHORIANS could be made playable would be absolutely amazing! An ITHORIAN JEDI CONSULAR would ideal :)

The one great thing with cannon & Star Wars is the huge timeline involved allowing for some changes in how species are developed. An example is the Sand People, believed to be once a great technological race being reduced to almost primative tribes.

So if much isn't mentioned in other media about certain races in the Old Republic era, then within reason the rules can differ, considering how even our own society & human genetic traits available changes within decades, its not hard to change.

Everything about this game has been really impressive and I look forward to all of the new features to come. However, anytime ITHORIANS could be made playable would be absolutely amazing! An ITHORIAN JEDI CONSULAR would ideal :)

Whilst unlike Zeltron and Falleen it would take a long time for Ithorian and Wookiee to be added due to not being able to speak basic, changes in dialogue and armor designs; but as long as the devs acknowledge they'll eventually be added in the future, then I'm happy.

Shistavanens.

======

Can speak basic

They could be both factions

Could be pretty much any class seeing as legacy allowed species to be classes, that wouldn't actually fit.

They could wear clothing that a normal human could wear(save for the head, hands and feet but you could just not have them show like they do with certain companions.)

=========

Before anyone says it, they have been around before Worgens being in ANH(so they are G-canon). Also heres some screenshots, putting them as not so weird and could be possible.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=622&tbm=isch&tbnid=2m7614rtadDChM:&imgrefurl=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shistavanen&docid=CYG0cN76WW87ZM&imgurl=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/6/68/Monn.jpg&w=400&h=469&ei=TpvWT77THo2s8AT3tvzpAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=126&vpy=12&dur=415&hovh=243&hovw=207&tx=69&ty=69&sig=103489860060267219165&page=1&tbnh=134&tbnw=123&start=0&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:75 - Voovif Monn, jedi master during the clone wars(is seen in the short Clone Wars animated show.)

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=622&tbm=isch&tbnid=M83JC24iUi_HyM:&imgrefurl=http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php%3Ftopic%3D2229.0&docid=cZXB8a9Juy2lAM&imgurl=http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff353/gnomecookie/Shistavanen_NEGAS.jpg&w=438&h=552&ei=TpvWT77THo2s8AT3tvzpAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=249&vpy=4&dur=672&hovh=252&hovw=200&tx=98&ty=105&sig=103489860060267219165&page=1&tbnh=134&tbnw=106&start=0&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:78 (Showing that they can wear clothes, a human could. At least pants/shirt, bracers possibly seeing as Voovif could wear em.)

The only real issue here, is MAYBE their snouts but its not like Bioware could tweak them slightly and make them shorter so that romance scenes wouldn't be such a hassle. They could also trim down the fur a little bit too, I wouldn't mind that.

Last but not least, they haven't really appeared in any SW games as of yet. This could give BW the chance, to introduce a new species and make it interesting rather then the same old (twi'lek, human, chiss, etc) not to say the others aren't unique. But this could make the game more diverse with choices, in how players could look and such.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Would love to see DEFEL as s playable race option(s) as well the common trendy ones.

I feel they would easily fit great in with Sith Inq. / Jedi Cons. Bounty Hunter / Trooper and I.A. / Smugglers; their lore fits in with these classes very well and there is already way too many buff/sexy toons, even fat/large male and female characters are way attractive.

It's really the time for Short / Stumpy and fugly to make it's come back.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Defel

there are a few times race and dialogue are unique like with my chiss agent a few times the chiss acendrency is mentioned and one time I was asked to frame another chiss and my race had a influence, but most the time they can get away with the same dialogu options as if your race plays a factor in the dialogue the referrence is broad enough to not nitpick what race you are.

there are a few times race and dialogue are unique like with my chiss agent a few times the chiss acendrency is mentioned and one time I was asked to frame another chiss and my race had a influence, but most the time they can get away with the same dialogu options as if your race plays a factor in the dialogue the referrence is broad enough to not nitpick what race you are.

Exactly, for most soecies like Wookiee and Duros, we'd assume that some dialogue changes like you've pointed out with Chiss would be made. Whilst many believe that they wont get added eventually because of the time it would take make these changes, not to mention develop the armor sets and 3D models, as long as we let BioWare know that we'll be patient then they might eventually add them.

We understand that most of them would not be able to speak basic or maybe make romantic progress with some of the companions and we simply don't mind that, that is for those who'd want to play as them which last I checked was most of the player base.

Edited by Vitas

too tell the truth it's amazed me that they still haven't taken the time to take the extra little time it takes to make proper versions of the headgear for twi'leks, and have instead taken a lazier route by removing options that used to be there.

Personally I'd like to see rodians and mon calimari, but not holding my hopes up if they can't take the effort with twileks.

I'd like Kaleesh and Trandoshans as alternate races, though the voices would be problematic.

I'm not sure how hard it would be to maybe alter the existing voices with some sort of voice distorter to sound as if a Trandoshan or Kaleesh was saying it but if not, I'm sure there's some sort of other alternative. Even if it means only being able to speak non-basic then that will do to help bring those species one step closer to being playable.

I'd like Kaleesh and Trandoshans as alternate races, though the voices would be problematic.

Most of the Kaleesh in gae speak basic and sound humnan. As for Trandoshan I think its only BW who decided they can't speak basic nothing in lore seems to suggest this, and they may have done it just for money saving. Half way through the republic story I noticed all the Twi'lek can't speak basic any more and only 2 or 3 Kel'dor seem to speak basic and the other speak alien but we know that species can speak basic.