Wildstar Strafed Me Right Back!

Josewales

All MMO's follow the same blueprint. Its time that someone comes along and try some new ****.

I have been preaching this for 5 years. Unfortunately, no game dev ever pays attention. If you want new, you won't find it in wildstar at least. EQ next is a maybe.

Edited by Karkais

I have been preaching this for 5 years. Unfortunately, no game dev ever pays attention. If you want new, you won't find it in wildstar at least. EQ next is a maybe.

it has nothing to do with devs not paying attention. it has to do with risking millions of dollars on something that may not even work. even the people who are making EQ Next say that they are taking an enormous risk in the new stuff that they are trying to bring to the genre.

Edited by MiaRB

In a MMO half the content of the game are the players themselves. The people you interact with, whether they are on your team or your enemy team. If this content is small and you fight with the same people against the same people over and over and over again it just gets boring.

I dont want to go into mechanics of combat and what game is harder and blabla. The problem is the missing player base. No competition. No new faces. Wildstar is something new and it's refreshing and I dont think SWTOR will have anything new or refreshing PvP wise anytime soon. The game is where it was half a year ago. It does not progress and a MMO that does not progress is not what I will chose, when there are other options around.

Is it sad that I miss the PvP from Age of Conan at launch and shortly there after? Even with all the bugs it was the most fun small scale open world I have ever seen.

Levels 1-20 of age of conan was the best mmo ever made. :)

White sands skirmishes, amazing visuals, great story.

PvP was raw and real - which was it's double edged sword.

it has nothing to do with devs not paying attention. it has to do with risking millions of dollars on something that may not even work. even the people who are making EQ Next say that they are taking an enormous risk in the new stuff that they are trying to bring to the genre.

Same risk applies for every MMO. The issue is that sandbox mmos cannot be adequately tested beforehand in-studio since human behaviour is erratic. They could of course run large closed/open beta-testing, but why bother..

Sooner or later (preferably sooner) studios will however realize that old **** doesn't fly anymore.

Edited by Karkais

In a MMO half the content of the game are the players themselves. The people you interact with, whether they are on your team or your enemy team. If this content is small and you fight with the same people against the same people over and over and over again it just gets boring.

I dont want to go into mechanics of combat and what game is harder and blabla. The problem is the missing player base. No competition. No new faces. Wildstar is something new and it's refreshing and I dont think SWTOR will have anything new or refreshing PvP wise anytime soon. The game is where it was half a year ago. It does not progress and a MMO that does not progress is not what I will chose, when there are other options around.

while i plan to stay here (though trying wildstar at the moment) this post is the most accurate about swtor vs wildstar pvp made imo.

lol not many games devs go mouth off that their game will beat WoW like Wildstar did, granted before many games releases the populations begin to mouth off about how they will kill other games, but the wildstar devs just kind of leaned into it. I never played WoW ever but even I know its pretty much the most sucessful mmo out there and that it ain't going down soon and pretty much shaped the standard on which mmo's are based on. I just could not help but laughing at their attempt to try to imply they were WoW killers.

Did you read the article or just read it and come up with your own interpretation of what Gaffney said. If you paid any attention they have never suggested they would kill WoW or are going after it. They have suggested they want to bring Vanilla WoW type game play back and that the Eve model is what they are going after.

"Numerous MMORPGs have come along and attempted to compete with World of Warcraft, but none have managed to attract as many players--or get them to stick around for as long--as Blizzard's nearly 10-year-old game. Despite this track record, Jeremy Gaffney, executive producer at WildStar developer Carbine Studios, thinks we will eventually see an MMO more successful than WoW.

"There will be something bigger [than World of Warcraft] in our lifetimes," he told Develop. Gaffney didn't suggest WildStar, launching June 3, would be the game to manage this. "

"There's a market out there that's definitely interested in repeating the positive experience they've had with games in the past," he said. "But no one's had the stickiness to really truly hook them in and keep them in any sorts of large numbers since then, so somebody will be able to duplicate that formula."

Of course most games try to duplicate what WoW did because they want to hook you in, bring your friend, family, guildies whatever. And of course he would obviously love Wildstar to be that game but he doesn't say Wildstar will be that game to do it.

Whether he's right or now, I am not Miss Cleo, I have a hard time seeing an MMO grow that large again mainly because MMO players are fickle, there are more MMOs now and the player base has no patience to let a game grow. If WoW launched now, people would *********** riot about the state it was in the internet would be ablaze with the fail launch, server stability, no PvP, Podcasts would be crapping on it ect.

A lot of this has to do with the the fact MMOs take years to develop and companies like EA and NCSoft want them to release as soon as possible to turn a profit. However doing so with bugs and lack of end game can kill any chance the MMO has at retaining a large player base. SWTOR is a great example of this, I am of the mind if they would've launched the game with most of the features we have now. or even a year after launch, it would have a lot better retention and would've grown. In addition once it had the retention Dev teams would be bigger and content would be faster having the effect of creating an MMO everyone wants to play.

The fact SWTOR ****ed up hard core by saying solo RBG's and RBG's were dropping and then pull it the night before? That plus that balance patch that changed TTK really hurt this game. Plus the buggy 1 raid.

Point being, SWTOR had a solid launch, sold tons of boxes, had a great story with different questing, Huttball an invocation and a **** ton of hype from the players. But it wasn't ready for release and players now wont give a game time to mature it has to have all the features of WoW or people explode.

Maybe when Blizz shuts WoW down, which will likely only be when they release "Titan" or whatever it's called or when they drop a new MMO. That is the only current way I can envision a MMO surpassing WoW. Of course there are other scenarios that could occur.

The only game I recall going after WoW directly before launch, Rift with their commercial, "We're not in Azeroth anymore"