Developers - please focus on what’s really important!

Riparian

I have been playing since Beta and seriously had a gut full off all this crap focus on Nerfing classes and farm spots (yes everyone farms something for RRP and CXP and XP whether it’s mats or dailies or the entrance to an operation)

I love this game but if they spent more time focusing on fixing game bugs, improving stability and providing more decent quality content and not just the same crap re skinned the sub base would be getting bigger rather than smaller

We see “new”races but not new classes

We see “new” items that are almost the same as old stuff and crap that was clearly not good enough because it’s ugly as sin instead of good looking items and Armor (with a few exceptions)

So again flame away but instead of pandering to a few keyboard whiner warriors and constantly Nerfing content and classes and treating people like crap just do it right first time and give us something fresh for content and items and classes

Just my two credits worth

I agree with you a bit. I dont think any content should be removed, even if its the big farm of the day. I also think adding content should be the main goal not nerfing classes or mobs. While Im at it I think all existing removed content should be returned (with option to skip if its an obsolete mission giver but lets keep that dialog.)

The KP spot I didn't mind at all.

All the farmers were in their own little instance leaving all the "open" areas that much more available for people completing the various stories / heroics.

I understand WHY they fixed it, or why I think they fixed it...what made sense to me anyway, but it didn't affect my game play in any way what so ever and I wouldn't have cared if they let that one slide

If creating trash-free content it allows new content to be created faster, while making sure that content forms a cohesive story, as well as reducing the requirements on art assets, that would be a good start. Personally I'd rather have no trash at all than rehashed trash that has proven to be unengaging in its past form(s).

As for new classes, however, it's very resource-intensive so it could potentially be something BW can't afford.

I agree with the OP.

What bothers me the most is that BW always takes months before they fix something which is a disadvantage for the players, but they fix immediately something which they don't like.

And not just that: Eric always explained that (this is not an actual quote) "It's not so easy to fix these things, because the code is connected to something else, and there might be an unwanted side effect." Except, there never is when they fix something quickly which is in their favor.

Example:

The walker missions. All they needed to do was to e. g. lower the HP of the mobs. Or give the walker more HP.

Not possible just like that, according to Eric back then. Like, adding a digit or lowering a digit causes to the walker missions on Voss and Zakuul would make one of the caves in the starters area on Korriban collapse.

However, changing HP in KP, taking mobs away (or whatever they did) was apparently no problem at all. And KP is old code (which, according to Eric, is a key reason why they cannot fix things so easily: the old code from the original game).

They have proven again and again that they can react quickly, and that they can easily fix the things that Eric claimed are complicated to fix. However, they can only do that if it suits them, not the players. This bothers me. This game is not for them, it's for us, the players. I don't feel that we come first for them. Maybe we do, but they don't portray that.

One last thing: The new CommunityTeam helper from Ireland pretty much has posted more responses to reports in 2 months or so than Eric in 2 years. This again proves that it is possible. If they just want to.

I[...]

They have proven again and again that they can react quickly, and that they can easily fix the things that Eric claimed are complicated to fix. However, they can only do that if it suits them, not the players. This bothers me. This game is not for them, it's for us, the players. I don't feel that we come first for them. Maybe we do, but they don't portray that.

[...]/QUOTE]

bingo.

ofc there are things that are complicated.... but when it comes down to it, a great deal of it is more about "desire" and less about "difficulty"

At the risk of annoying the forum police, I just have to say:

What a load of utter crap. Yeah, sometimes Eric is wrong about what can be fixed. OMG! String him up. It's no wonder he doesn't post that often if everything he says is going to be taken as gospel.

And please, give us a break on all this childish "BW doesn't care about me" crap. Put on your big boy pants and join the real world. 🤩

Unless, of course, you happen to be in the same guild as me, in which case, "Have a nice day" 😍

I[...]

[...]/QUOTE]

bingo.

ofc there are things that are complicated.... but when it comes down to it, a great deal of it is more about "desire" and less about "difficulty"

As a software developer with over 40 years of experience I would add a couple of things:

1) All development efforts have a plan for the next release and any of these emergent bugs (or behavioral exploits) are an interrupt that takes resources away from executing the plan. Yes, good development teams have anticipated some level of effort for that as contingency but "leaning" the workforce tends to remove that capacity. If you focus on doing too much of this kind of thing you end up having to release planned content later (and image that response) or remove/defer content and/or testing. It's really a case where people slam the dev team regardless of what they choose to do.

2) It takes time to analyze a problem to understand what's causing it which can take quite a bit of effort (even for the what turns out to be a "single line of code" change). These days I suspect the reluctance to changes is the testing burden and simply the risk that changes made to old legacy code can't be sufficiently tested with the present workforce and time frame to ensure that no adverse inadvertent change is introduced.

3) With large legacy code bases, a developer can very easily make what seems to be an easy/simple change that has unforeseen consequences. Make that happen a couple of times (which people react badly to) and the understandable reaction is to become reluctant to make those changes (which also prevents the team from learning more about the legacy code).

4) Someone like Keith who may work in the software development field but who is not a developer can only communicate what the developers tell them and hence you get the generic statements about things being complicated to fix.

5) I have no idea what workflow process BW uses to produce software but people get entrenched in "this is how we do things" and where they are comfortable (with what they know). Process changes can be introduced in mature software projects, but the team has to recognize that there current output is a problem (and they have to want to change) but most teams aren't good at that kind of introspection.

And lastly, yes when prioritizing problems to fix - some one has to desire one change over another as there typically is more work than the team can handle.

Edited by Dashtardly
added some whitespace

This is just another reason for the devs to open up the game to modding community. We could fix a good number of these bugs and optimize a bunch of other aspects of this game if given a chance. Devs could decide what to include and what to reject.

It's just frustrating that we have to deal with "not enough resources" issues when there is a whole community of smart people eagerly ready to help fix the game we all love...

I have been playing since Beta and seriously had a gut full off all this crap focus on Nerfing classes and farm spots (yes everyone farms something for RRP and CXP and XP whether it’s mats or dailies or the entrance to an operation)

I love this game but if they spent more time focusing on fixing game bugs, improving stability and providing more decent quality content and not just the same crap re skinned the sub base would be getting bigger rather than smaller

We see “new”races but not new classes

We see “new” items that are almost the same as old stuff and crap that was clearly not good enough because it’s ugly as sin instead of good looking items and Armor (with a few exceptions)

So again flame away but instead of pandering to a few keyboard whiner warriors and constantly Nerfing content and classes and treating people like crap just do it right first time and give us something fresh for content and items and classes

Just my two credits worth

I'm not sure its worth making new classes. They'd automatically be excluded from the base class stories, which are some of the best content the game has. With horizontal progression in the form of set bonuses and tacticals, disciplines are being played in new ways which can give the feel of a new class without the development time.

I can only presume they are nerfing the sets in 6.1.1 because those sets are so effective that it is undermining their "horizontal progress" paradigm. If that's the case, I'd prefer they buff the less-appealing sets, to make decent compelling choices. They should take the approach they do for utilities, or tier 4/5 GSF component upgrades ... where the upgrades are compelling choices rather than a BiS. The GSF community advocated for buffs to those tier 4 and 5 choices over exclusive nerfs (though nerfs did happen) and now the choices are more interesting. So, from that standpoint, I agree.

The KP entry trash nerf was complicated. I never even knew about it, or saw anyone spamming about it, until a few weeks ago. On its face I don't think its any different than any other kind of farming. Once it was known to be a nerf target for the devs, It definitely took away from people recruiting for other full ops, but eventually even those recruitment efforts came back because, after all, KPF was utterly boring. I think the true problem with it was how it was being used by the mega-guilds to out-conquest each other. Beyond the debate about small guilds even having a chance at medium- and large-yield planets, this was creating a toxic situation where the winner of a planet was the guild who could farm KP the most. That absolutely needed to change.

At the risk of annoying the forum police, I just have to say:

What a load of utter crap. Yeah, sometimes Eric is wrong about what can be fixed. OMG! String him up. It's no wonder he doesn't post that often if everything he says is going to be taken as gospel.

No, Jatta is correct! There are some things that the developers seem to be able to change very very quickly and others that take a very long time though they are, at least on face value, the same sort of change. I think Jatta is absolutely correct to question why the Walkers, or Turrets, or Iokath sentinel fight, couldn't have their HP/armor rating/whatever buffed in a timely fashion to make that content doable, but it took a small hotfix to raise the HP of the trash in KP. Perhaps Jatta didn't ask the question in the nicest of tones, but it is absolutely a worthwhile question and one to which I would like the answer as well. What constitutes game-breaking can often be somewhat subjective, but I think there were more than enough reports demonstrating that extreme workarounds in these cases were barely even able to make story mode content doable. I don't think it was the developer intention that a player should have to buy the turret buffs from Iokath to be able to complete the turret mission during the Dantooine event, but it took 4.5 months and three Dantooine events during that time-span before it was fixed. The KP nerf, from 6.1b on 3/13 to Musco's post on Feb 21 was exactly 21 days. If you can't acknowledge that a HP change taking 4.5 months versus 21 days is markedly different and deserves an explanation, then you have drank too much of the kool-aid.