Defence rating or Absorbtion rating?

Where does the diminishing returns really start to kick in for Defense?

That's the real question.

I haven't specifically tailored my gear but I'm starting to think that Shield+absorb might be better than straight defense, simply because there are things you cannot defend against. Defense won't apply to certain attacks where shields have a chance to proc on anything. So really a combination of all of them should apply.

Edited by Moradeth

i haven't tanked since 1.0 I think, but if I remember right defense diminishing returns start popping up at around 25%. So if you are close to that point you should be getting a good balance of shield chance and shield absorb, maybe slightly heavier on the absorb.

Defense rating.

Defense rating increases your chance to completely avoid damage.

Absorption increases the amount of damage absorbed when your shield procs.

Defense>Shield> Absorption.

Ranged dodge and ranged deflect only for defense, shield does both melee and ranged.

Conventional wisdom is absorb>shield>defense actually.

Edited by mokkh

Ranged dodge and ranged deflect only for defense, shield does both melee and ranged.

Conventional wisdom is absorb>shield>defense actually.

Defense does parry for melee. so it works on ranged and melee. Also shielding(and therefore absorb) does not apply to force/tech attacks, so Defense >> than both assuming you are not at DR.

Defense does parry for melee. so it works on ranged and melee. Also shielding(and therefore absorb) does not apply to force/tech attacks, so Defense >> than both assuming you are not at DR.

I'm sure it depends whether we're talking PvP or PvE, as well.

In my experience there are actually 3 answers to this question for PVE Immortal spec:

Defense < 25% and Shield < 40%: Defense>Shield>Absorbtion

Defense >= 25% and Shield < 40%: Shield>Absorbtion>Defense

Defense >= 25% and shield >= 40%: Devense/Shield>Absorbtion

This has served me pretty well and fits with the diminishing returns research that's been done so far. I've been survivable and been able to live through anything thrown at me in Flashpoints and Operations on any difficulty. There's some pretty good research on this over on sithwarrior.com. Just make sure what you are reading is post 1.2 there is some old stuff there.

Now all that said, in order to get this I've had to swap in mods/enchantment (Different rakata slot ones, and now fitting in black hole/campaign gear) But you can make it work.

Edited by bambua
Added comment at the end.

Defense also does not affect force and tech attacks. Resistance does and that is a separate stat.

In my experience there are actually 3 answers to this question for PVE Immortal spec:

Defense >= 25% and shield >= 40%: Devense/Shield>Absorbtion

This has served me pretty well and fits with the diminishing returns research that's been done so far. I've been survivable and been able to live through anything thrown at me in Flashpoints and Operations on any difficulty. There's some pretty good research on this over on sithwarrior.com. Just make sure what you are reading is post 1.2 there is some old stuff there.

Now all that said, in order to get this I've had to swap in mods/enchantment (Different rakata slot ones, and now fitting in black hole/campaign gear) But you can make it work.

this is the first time some answered the question so thank you.

Defense >= 25% and shield >= 40%: Devense/Shield>Absorbtion.

am I the only one that seems to think there is a slight error?

If your defense is "maxed out" (25%) and your shield rating (40%). Would absorbtion be a prio? hence, the last line would be: Absorbtion > Defense/shield ?? it makes sense, if something is maxed out, you wont want to have more, as DR kicks in and its useless. This is just a question, I could be totally wrong.

Nah, I don't like defense. It's hard as hell to stack and I'd rather get 45/100 attacks' damage get cut in half rather than compeltely avoid 25/100. I've asked my healers and they've said that they have an easier job healing when I buff Shield & Absorb rather than Defense.

Have tanked all raids on every diff.