Selfheal. Whats the point?

Kampflerk

So... Whats the point? I read and hear every time the Sentinel-Watchman has so much and good Selfheal. But where and how?

When I look into some Gameplays from the Watchman, I see 1,5k Heal pair DoT Tick, but its this all? When I test an Boosted 65-Watchman, I have only 150-200hp-Heal pair Tick :/ I know, I can "boost" the Heal pair Tick with 'Inspiration' but make THIS the Sentinel so good?:confused:

You hear that mara has good selfheal? Who told you that? Only PT has worse... Mara has no real self heal skills - only a bit of passive healing. It's not too bad when you pair Thirst for Rage with Annihilation's Berserk and DoTs but still not even close to what many other specs have.

It is covered by very strong defenses though, so that doesn't stop mara from being a premium melee class at the moment.

Edited by Equeliber

So... Whats the point? I read and hear every time the Sentinel-Watchman has so much and good Selfheal. But where and how?

When I look into some Gameplays from the Watchman, I see 1,5k Heal pair DoT Tick, but its this all? When I test an Boosted 65-Watchman, I have only 150-200hp-Heal pair Tick :/ I know, I can "boost" the Heal pair Tick with 'Inspiration' but make THIS the Sentinel so good?:confused:

It adds some flavour.

Sentinels have the best selection of damage preventing abilities in the game. This allows them to take hugely reduced damage and this is how they outlast their enemies.

There are advantages and disadvantages to strong damage prevention vs strong self healing and it depends on the scenario. No class has strong self-healing as well as strong damage prevention.

Anyway, the self-healing that sentinels do is not a major survival tool for them. It's about as useful as a few % damage reduction. Just some flavour.

Hey, Thanks your :) I read this in the Guide from Vulkk but maybe i read it wrong:rolleyes:

Than I think i choose a Shadow or Assa. They have 10% DMG Leech :D

I am sorry if this will disappoint you but Hatred's self heals mean basically nothing. Leeching strike, even with a crit, won't heal you for more than 13k. Yes, in max possible gear.

Combined with very low Damage Reduction, Hatred is one of the squishiest specs in the game. The only thing it has is the Legendary utility that makes Force Speed a godlike Defensive. But then, Deception Assassin has the same utility AND tons of passive Damage Reduction from the passives and procs.

To be fair, because of the fact that Berserk in Annihilation mara heals WHOLE raid for 6% of HP, you will see higher HPS on annihilation than on Hatred in every single fight. With Thirst for Rage utility taken by the mara, of course.

I am sorry if this will disappoint you but Hatred's self heals mean basically nothing. Leeching strike, even with a crit, won't heal you for more than 13k. Yes, in max possible gear.

Combined with very low Damage Reduction, Hatred is one of the squishiest specs in the game. The only thing it has is the Legendary utility that makes Force Speed a godlike Defensive. But then, Deception Assassin has the same utility AND tons of passive Damage Reduction from the passives and procs.

To be fair, because of the fact that Berserk in Annihilation mara heals WHOLE raid for 6% of HP, you will see higher HPS on annihilation than on Hatred in every single fight. With Thirst for Rage utility taken by the mara, of course.

Hm, ok. Thx :D Overall i have no idea. I only see that the Assa Heal "more" with a single Strike as an Mara with his 1,5k pair dot^^ So i was thinking the Assa has more heal as the Mara^^:eek:

Except mercs.

I know some people find it difficult but when a merc health bar isn't moving despite trying really hard its because they have a self heal DCD running.

When sentinels do the same trick and their health bar isn't moving despite trying really hard that's because they have a damage prevention DCD running :)

Annihilation selfheals is rather small by itself, but the real kicker is the legendary utility Thirst for rage, while it only has small ticks (1324 per tick in BiS gear), you need to remember you get that tick everytime you use a rage consuming ability.

Combining anni selfheals from tree with Thirst for rage gets you almost 2k HPS just on yourself, ofc it doesn't have immediate effect of some other selfheal abilities or medpacs, but it's not supposed to do that.

http://parsely.io/parser/view/345004

Anni 2,5 mil parse, 1,8k HPS, 424k total healing over 4 minutes

Edited by Rkillerfin

I know some people find it difficult but when a merc health bar isn't moving despite trying really hard its because they have a self heal DCD running.

When sentinels do the same trick and their health bar isn't moving despite trying really hard that's because they have a damage prevention DCD running :)

Reflect prevents damage and heals, it doesn't do 1 or the other. And the shield is powerful because its additive DR, effectively giving mercs tank level DR when its up (same for PT's). Also chaff flare is essentially a form of DR for arsenal. If you want to talk about a class that only has self heal cd's, you're talking about the sorc. Mercs definitely have both.

^

You're exaggerating.

RS, Chaff, Energy Shield, these are all three (3) :eek: of the merc buttons which prevent damage.

I'm completely happy to say that lot is weak sauce at preventing damage compared to GBTF, Sabre Ward, Rebuke, Force Camo, Pacify aaand Blade Blitz for the cheeky cheese.

All of those sentinel options work (or can work) against any damage type. Also there's a defence boost on Transcendence because why not.

Back to mercs. Heavy armour and a generic 25% shield for 12s is not strong. A few seconds protection against one type of damage is very situational. The on demand massive healing from Kolto Overload and the potential healing from RS and Energy Shield is what actually killed the ancient tactic of blind tunnelling mercs.

I thought it was pretty obvious. After all, mercs have had heavy armour and that old shield since launch and their main defence against real damage until 5.0 was to run away from the fight.

Edited by Gyronamics

You're exaggerating.

RS, Chaff, Energy Shield, these are all three (3) :eek: of the merc buttons which prevent damage.

I'm completely happy to say that lot is weak sauce at preventing damage compared to GBTF, Sabre Ward, Rebuke, Force Camo, Pacify aaand Blade Blitz for the cheeky cheese.

All of those sentinel options work (or can work) against any damage type. Also there's a defence boost on Transcendence because why not.

Back to mercs. Heavy armour and a generic 25% shield for 12s is not strong. A few seconds protection against one type of damage is very situational. The on demand massive healing from Kolto Overload and the potential healing from RS and Energy Shield is what actually killed the ancient tactic of blind tunnelling mercs.

I thought it was pretty obvious. After all, mercs have had heavy armour and that old shield since launch and their main defence against real damage until 5.0 was to run away from the fight.

I never once stated Merc damage reduction cooldowns were comparable to Marauders, frankly, no one's except maybe Snipers are. The point was they have both, and rely on a combination of both to succeed, and that's true. The heal on reflect would not save the merc if it didn't also give 100% damage reduction for all single target damage for 6 seconds (I like how all single target damage is hand-waved away as "1 damage type" as if its something to sneer at), and energy shield is powerful when combined with self heals and lasts for a lengthy period.

Instead of comparing to Maras or Snipers, how about literally every other class? PT's alone are worse off because they have nothing close to Responsive Safeguards in damage reduction tools, Juggs only have Endure Pain if they're Vengeance otherwise they have a worse version of reflect, Sins if Deception have nice passive DR but again Mercs have them beat in cooldowns, Operatives have worse DR cooldowns and only have greater survivability through perfect timing of Exfiltrate as Concealment, Sorcs, lol... basically Mercs have better damage reduction cooldowns than every class in the game right now except Marauder and Sniper, or operative if they use Exfiltrate on cooldown.

*to clarify I'm ranking Energy Shield as superior to Saber Ward and Deflection, although that is situational, also its available more often than both if the Merc takes Energy Rebounder, which most do.

Complain about the damage Arsenal does and I'll be right there with you. But when it comes to survivability, Mercs are either broken right now, or every other class needs buffs to reach that level, and that's through a combo of DR and self heals.

Edited by wadecounty

You think you have something worth saying. I'm thinking you don't.

But you want to say it anyway.

I mean how shocking, that in a mara forum I was talking about maras DCD's and how the self healing isn't an important part of surviving before you came in and now you want to ignore everything about the maras (also snipers) and swing this to comparing mercs with every other class.

This sounds like a really productive and useful thing to talk about.

Lets say the original point one more time.

The heavy generic damage reduction is what makes sentinels tough. DCD healing is what put the survivability into commandos.

An invitation to talk trash about mercs vs all other classes except maras and snipers. Hah :D