Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can we please get another female romance option soon?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can we please get another female romance option soon?

IoNonSoEVero
01.13.2018 , 11:02 PM | #111
I think the problem is that with the exception of Senya, who is dead for some people *and* has already been established as straight, there aren't a lot of other female major characters that can be suggested, unfortunately.

Nearly other existing female companion already exists as a het love interest (which is problematic in itself, as mentioned - I think bringing back Vaylin is a very bad idea, but I also liked the fact that she was a strong woman that existed without being a LI ) with the exceptions of Shae Vizala, Master Ranos and Darth Hexid.

And those three all are problematic because they're reward companions - so if they were offered to everyone as love interests, there would be screaming from those who think they should be exclusive (go read one of the threads about 'Shroud of Memory' and HK-55 if there is any doubt of this). Otherwise I think I'd push for Ranos or Hexid.

There's also Darth Acina, but she suffers from a) being dead for some people b) being Sith, and there should be some variety. Plus, that takes us back to the 'every female NPC is a love interest' and it would be nice to keep her as one of the rare strong female NPCs who is not.

So that leaves us with either an existing minor NPC, resurrecting Lemda Avesta (who actually didn't really want to romance you in Makeb) or asking Bioware to write someone totally new. The advantage there is that if they really wanted to be ambitious they could bring up a minor character. That redhead lady, for instance, has not spoken but has been in scenes since KOTFE 6. They could always write her up as having a talent that suddenly puts her in a larger role with the Alliance, and have her saying something like, "I always saw you around but was too nervous to talk to you or tell you I liked you..."
♥Death Should Never Silence Love♥

♥ ♥ ♥ Lana ♥ ♥ ♥

Estelindis
01.14.2018 , 12:57 AM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
There's also Darth Acina, but she suffers from a) being dead for some people b) being Sith, and there should be some variety. Plus, that takes us back to the 'every female NPC is a love interest' and it would be nice to keep her as one of the rare strong female NPCs who is not.
I agree that "every female NPC is a love interest" is a problem. I also agree that Acina being sith is a problem because Lana is sith - like you said, there should be some variety. She's not exactly the same as Lana, but they both have this quality of being more forward-thinking than many sith yet still being sithy at heart philosophy-wise. Also, I didn't get the impression that Acina actually sounded interested during her flirts - I feel like she was just humouring / flattering the player character.

In my opinion, Tora has the most promise simply as a character. She's unsentimental, but people can love without being sentimental (e.g. Kaliyo). I don't know that there's any female character who could sidestep the "every female NPC is a LI" issue. So then it's just a question of whether people actually want her, if they would actually have their characters romance her, rather than simply wanting the number of available LIs to be higher but never choosing her as an option.

Maybe the thing for Bioware to do is to give more attention to their female characters, and over time one could emerge that people would lobby for LI-wise.
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo > The Progenitor > Darth Malgus ||
Satisfying returns for class companions!
Especially companions of the long-neglected consular...

IoNonSoEVero
01.14.2018 , 01:35 AM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by Estelindis View Post
I agree that "every female NPC is a love interest" is a problem. I also agree that Acina being sith is a problem because Lana is sith - like you said, there should be some variety. She's not exactly the same as Lana, but they both have this quality of being more forward-thinking than many sith yet still being sithy at heart philosophy-wise. Also, I didn't get the impression that Acina actually sounded interested during her flirts - I feel like she was just humouring / flattering the player character.

In my opinion, Tora has the most promise simply as a character. She's unsentimental, but people can love without being sentimental (e.g. Kaliyo). I don't know that there's any female character who could sidestep the "every female NPC is a LI" issue. So then it's just a question of whether people actually want her, if they would actually have their characters romance her, rather than simply wanting the number of available LIs to be higher but never choosing her as an option.

Maybe the thing for Bioware to do is to give more attention to their female characters, and over time one could emerge that people would lobby for LI-wise.
Yeah, Acina seems like she's humoring the player more than anything else. There's no actual interest there.

Tora does have potential. She's an ally regardless of what happens with Koth, she's got a very different personality than Lana, and she's not a Force user, so there's balance. I'd also support letting some of the returning companions, like Raina Temple or Kira, turning out to be bisexual, because they've already got interesting back stories, but I don't think Bioware's going to go there. If the Copero storyline had been taken in a different direction, Syndic Zenta also might have been a good potential choice.

It should be quality over quantity, yes, and I suppose part of the frustration is that there isn't anyone else who is compelling enough that people *would* campaign for them, and that Bioware hasn't really painted any promising female NPCs that might be a good potential love interest. With the male/female relationships it seems as though some players do end up debating whether to keep their vanilla companion LI or go for Theron or Koth, etc. With the F/F it has been "well, there's one lesbian relationship, so if I want something that isn't het, guess that's what I'll do." I happen to love Lana, but she's not necessarily a good match for every single character I bring through that might want a F/F relationship.

♥ ♥ ♥ Lana ♥ ♥ ♥

CharmerLeonhart
01.14.2018 , 02:06 AM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by serenitty View Post
Sorry, threads like this usually start in my experience with a straight guy and I just assumed (totally wrong of me) and they irk me with the straight guy/girl romance ratio as it normally is.
Though totally agree there needs to be more f/f, m/m romances so everyone gets a good selection.
Dw about it, I'm not easily offended lol

CharmerLeonhart
01.14.2018 , 02:25 AM | #115
Eh... Given that Arcann is going to be a romance, being dead or not doesn't seem to be that much of a problem lol

Then again... You know, the more I think about the Arcann romance the more I'm wondering if it will be just those kotor-style alliance conversations where your character doesn't have a voiceover.

I know people have had issues with older companions coming back as same-sex romanceable suddenly... But I for one feel like if just a few of them were, it could fit with certain characters.

I personally feel that bisexuality could work for Jaesa, Mako or Kira. I think Jaesa of either alignment would be the one I would advocate for the most as I feel it would be really easy to write. (Maybe I'm biased because I love Jaesa too & want her to come back for a major story role.)

If all companions are class-specific from now on, opening up for SGR would be fairly easy to do aswell I feel.

Also I wanted to bring something up, wasn't there evidence from aaaaages ago that certain characters had same gender romance and then it was cut, leaving some files behind? I'm sure I read somewhere that Male Warrior/Quinn was a thing and it got cut. If that's true then at least some of the original companions were intended to be bi.

Paulsutherland
01.14.2018 , 09:59 AM | #116
I think bringing back Vaylin is a very bad idea, but I also liked the fact that she was a strong woman that existed without being a LI.
Bring a shovel, we'll debate this further in the Odessen forest.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I liked her character too.

Quote: Originally Posted by Estelindis View Post
In terms of particular characters, I think that most of the suggestions are fairly weak (sorry!). All minor characters, some of them even nameless... I'm not one of the devotees of Paul Sutherland's persistent quest for a Vaylin return, but at least he has a clear and important character in focus. If people want another female romance option, I think it makes sense to focus on a particular one and explain what you find compelling about her.
[Force Choke] Yes you will!

(Sorry for the short response - don't have much time atm.)

My first play through of KOTFE/ET was on my dark sided Sith Inquisitor, Darth Nox. With KOTFE, I was initially expecting Vaylin to be end up being a copy of Jaesa, who would turn on Arcann at some point for whatever reason.

KOTET (imo) turned her from a 'meh' character into an interesting character. Instead of sitting on the throne like Arcann did for a good portion of KOTFE, She was out in the action, heck she even gave the Alliance a good bashing several times.

I guess she did kill Torian or Vette, but I blame the Outlander & Valkorian for baiting her to Odessen. While on that subject, I'm still salty over that decision ... three people, two paths ... why couldn't I have told Senya or Lana to go one way while I went the other with Arcann or Theron?

Anyway, why bring Vaylin back? At this point, I just want a plot that makes sense (or ... more sense than the traitor / Iokath thing we've got going on now.)

Vaylin romance? Assuming Vaylin ever comes back, I'll let someone else argue this one, I don't know. For the record I don't oppose another F/F or M/M relationship. My Imperious will need to find a new GF anyway if it turns out Lana is secretly working with Theron.

Quote: Originally Posted by Eshvara View Post
Nice to see some positive support for female SGR! Make it happen BW, just Lana doesn't cut it!
I don't know, she had her moments, going into Iokath and the traitor plot, I'll admit, I'm finding her to be somewhat annoying.

Problem with Senya is that she's clearly into men only. This needs to be a love interest for women only that women would want.

IMHO given the near-complete lack of F/F in the game I think it should also be someone who is available to all, ie has not faced a kill option. Bringing in an NPC like Tora, etc would make that possible.
Really? I could of sworn there were a few flirt options for female characters. I don't recall of the top of my head what Senya's responses were to those options though.

Yeah! We need more crazy ladies!!!!

IoNonSoEVero
01.14.2018 , 11:27 AM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by CharmerLeonhart View Post
Eh... Given that Arcann is going to be a romance, being dead or not doesn't seem to be that much of a problem lol

Then again... You know, the more I think about the Arcann romance the more I'm wondering if it will be just those kotor-style alliance conversations where your character doesn't have a voiceover.

I know people have had issues with older companions coming back as same-sex romanceable suddenly... But I for one feel like if just a few of them were, it could fit with certain characters.

I personally feel that bisexuality could work for Jaesa, Mako or Kira. I think Jaesa of either alignment would be the one I would advocate for the most as I feel it would be really easy to write. (Maybe I'm biased because I love Jaesa too & want her to come back for a major story role.)

If all companions are class-specific from now on, opening up for SGR would be fairly easy to do aswell I feel.

Also I wanted to bring something up, wasn't there evidence from aaaaages ago that certain characters had same gender romance and then it was cut, leaving some files behind? I'm sure I read somewhere that Male Warrior/Quinn was a thing and it got cut. If that's true then at least some of the original companions were intended to be bi.
I agree with Kira, Mako and Jaesa potentially being bisexual. I'd add Raina Temple and Ashara. Some of those characters were still exploring who they were and were very young during the class stories, by now they may have figured their sexual orientation out (as a lot of people do in the real world). With Ashara some of her comments toward my female SIs have seemed as though they could have led to a romance if BW had scripted it further (there's one place where she tells the SI, 'let's talk about us'). Jaesa's not my favoriite character because she swings to such extremes - she's either got a halo on her head and thinks you're a secret Jedi or she is off the walls insane - but she could have settled into a more balanced character (either DS or LS) during the seven years she's been away.

They actually could script it as being organic if they wanted, and not just "whoo, insta-bisexuality!" Those companions could easily say that they were still finding out who they were, or that they didn't realize how they felt about the same-sex player character, or that their training told them attachments were wrong, and it took them a while to get over it .

I also do recall hearing that there were some SGR in the original game but they were removed. I remember hearing Kaliyo was one, and seems like they left some of the flirts in but didn't mark them as flirts. There's also one line, possibly more, that's marked as a flirt with Vette if you're a male SW but if you're female...well, the line is still there and it's a little surprising, but not marked as a flirt.

♥ ♥ ♥ Lana ♥ ♥ ♥

IoNonSoEVero
01.14.2018 , 12:24 PM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by Paulsutherland View Post
[
Really? I could of sworn there were a few flirt options for female characters. I don't recall of the top of my head what Senya's responses were to those options though.
Having the flirt doesn't mean the recipient is into it, though. I've never felt the urge to flirt with Senya (I spacebar through her convos anyway because I don't like her) but AFAIK the responses are the same as Acina, ie, "I'm trying not to be rude to you but I am not into this at all." Plus she still has a thing for Valkorion, who is male, so her orientation likely doesn't swing toward her own gender IMHO.

♥ ♥ ♥ Lana ♥ ♥ ♥

LordFell
01.14.2018 , 06:40 PM | #119
There are only a few Senya flirts. If you pursue flirting (and that's the [in box] flirt options) with Senya you see more of these options than if you don't.

....apparently the first [Flirt] players might see with Senya is at Asylum, and she asks you about Valkorian. If I remember correctly, for my fem Trooper (who I specifically planned to romance Senya, when I realized that Flirt options were available) I decided not to flirt with her at this time -because she was asking about Valkorian. I just can't envision a world where flirting with a woman when she's got her dead husband on her mind is going to fly.

But, anyways... flirting with Senya as a female character (again, if I recall correctly) tend to give you "Senya appreciates that" kind of responses.