So, about skipping Kotfe-Kotet..

DarthCasus

I know we can have more options than skipping both long, corridor based, walker-dragging-the-narrative-having, 'choice are important', poorly rewarded expansions with the default choices across the board being depending on what faction you are. Surely you good people at BioWare Austin can implement some sort of line of choices memory sequence before starting off where you're skipping to? I feel like the general consensus about the expansions are they're worth touching at least once (usually NOT on people's mains) but are a slog to run through again.

I personally enjoyed the stories the first time to some extent (Kotfe was a drag through and through) but now that some companions are back, is it really fair to have all choices defaulted to say Dark side on a Light side Imperial who up to then was being played as a pragmatic unifier? Having to run all through Kotfe to reconnect with Kaliyo (9 chapters!) to realize the romance trigger didn't work at all was.. something. And that's just on my 4th OG toon running through this hot trash.

Sorry about rambling but is it possible to get some sort of Mass Effect/Dragon Age Origin/Tapestry for these two expansions? Having it the way it currently is heavily discourages alting if you care even the slightest about certain classes (since reunions are arguably the best parts of these things) but you have to slog until reaching certain points.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about rambling but is it possible to get some sort of Mass Effect/Dragon Age Origin/Tapestry for these two expansions?

This would be the absolute absolute ideal solution.

They wouldn't even need to make it as fancy as those, just a check-mark list to set up some flags would do wonders.

Edited by Kiesu

They wouldn't even need to make it as fancy as those, just a check-mark list to set up some flags would do do wonders.

Exactly, they've already mentioned that it's all a series of checks and nothing convoluted so I'd hope they're at least looking into it because I highly doubt people would stay active if to progress all they're toons to the new content, they'd have to throw away 2 expacs of choices or play through.

They wouldn't even need to make it as fancy as those, just a check-mark list to set up some flags would do wonders.

I've been wanting that ever since 4.0 and the new level 60 characters. Why create a character that assumes all previous choices and locks you out content as a result? Such a waste. Just give me a world state I can edit. But I guess that would be too much effort for the masses that don't bother with online things like forums and patch notes.

This would also be perfect for the level cap tokens (Master's Datacron). I discovered too late that when creating an alt to level cap with the token, it locks you out of all romance options and other character defining choices. It almost felt like a punishment for wanting to save myself a ton of time levelling a new toon up from 1 to 70. Had I known this beforehand, I probably wouldn't have spent the CC and would have just asked my wife level up the toon (unlike me, she loves levelling toons, and has 16 characters compared to my 5).

I've been wanting that ever since 4.0 and the new level 60 characters. Why create a character that assumes all previous choices and locks you out content as a result? Such a waste. Just give me a world state I can edit. But I guess that would be too much effort for the masses that don't bother with online things like forums and patch notes.

The "default" world state might as well be checked by default in the list then, so no modifications needs to be made for those who don't care.

Or don't even display the list when performing a skip, just have a popup:

→ "Are you sure you want to skip X? [Yes] [No] [Edit]"

And the edit option would take you to the checklist. That wouldn't be too intrusive, right?

The "default" world state might as well be checked by default in the list then, so no modifications needs to be made for those who don't care.

And the edit option would take you to the checklist. That wouldn't be too intrusive, right?

Maybe something like the Lana marriage bug? A token that boosts a character to a level or creates a new one then you go to your ship, odessen, somewhere and go through a history review where you can chance your choices? At least this way it would feel more immersive, I guess. Your idea isn't bad either though.

Maybe something like the Lana marriage bug? A token that boosts a character to a level or creates a new one then you go to your ship, odessen, somewhere and go through a history review where you can chance your choices? At least this way it would feel more immersive, I guess. Your idea isn't bad either though.

I guess. Though clicking trough tens of hours of story decision trough a dialog tree would take a ton more time than just clicking a few boxes. The Lanabot was nice, but I'd probably get frustrated clicking trough that dialog for 30 minutes strait with no easy option to go back and fix choices you miss-remembered.

Edited by Kiesu

Having to run all through Kotfe to reconnect with Kaliyo (9 chapters!) to realize the romance trigger didn't work at all was.. something. And that's just on my 4th OG toon running through this hot trash.

Sorry about rambling but is it possible to get some sort of Mass Effect/Dragon Age Origin/Tapestry for these two expansions? Having it the way it currently is heavily discourages alting if you care even the slightest about certain classes (since reunions are arguably the best parts of these things) but you have to slog until reaching certain points.

Kaliyo's romance is only available to the male imperial agent who romanced her during vanilla. Anyone else would just get a random flirt.

Also, if you skip all the cinematic cut scenes the chapters are relatively short. Some only break down to 10 minutes or so.

Personally, I would like to skip the Iokath/Umbara/Copero/Nathema stories if possible. Unless it affects future expansions. I can only take Theron's betrayal/under cover stuff so many times. And if my character's aren't romancing him or Lana then I don't really care about running them. I don't want to find out that if I start the new stories that certain choices will be set. For example, if you boost an imperial character to 65 Koth has split because it automatically checks off choices to scare him off. So it would bother me if that happened and I find out I don't have Theron as a companion because it pre-selected my choices on an imperial character to leave him on Nathema.

This would also be perfect for the level cap tokens (Master's Datacron). I discovered too late that when creating an alt to level cap with the token, it locks you out of all romance options and other character defining choices. It almost felt like a punishment for wanting to save myself a ton of time levelling a new toon up from 1 to 70. Had I known this beforehand, I probably wouldn't have spent the CC and would have just asked my wife level up the toon (unlike me, she loves levelling toons, and has 16 characters compared to my 5).

Are you sure about this? Or are you referring to the outlander token that takes you to 65? The Master's Datacron leaves all story content intact and only levels the toon to 70 without advancing anything else.

Kaliyo's romance is only available to the male imperial agent who romanced her during vanilla. Anyone else would just get a random flirt.

I'm well aware, still didn't get it. Didn't romance Temple either, since romancing both was possible for a long time.

Also, if you skip all the cinematic cut scenes the chapters are relatively short. Some only break down to 10 minutes or so.

It's not the cinematics that are long, its the tedious non-stealth-friendly droves on weak enemies that march down your throat each chapter. Never mind the palace ball chapter with Vaylin, turning OFF my sprint.

Personally, I would like to skip the Iokath/Umbara/Copero/Nathema stories if possible. Unless it affects future expansions. I can only take Theron's betrayal/under cover stuff so many times. And if my character's aren't romancing him or Lana then I don't really care about running them. I don't want to find out that if I start the new stories that certain choices will be set. For example, if you boost an imperial character to 65 Koth has split because it automatically checks off choices to scare him off. So it would bother me if that happened and I find out I don't have Theron as a companion because it pre-selected my choices on an imperial character to leave him on Nathema.

See? There's some portions you'd want to skip yourself. They just happen to be much shorter than 2 entire expansions but we're on the same page here :) Boggles the mind as to why this hasn't been implemented yet, though.

I've been wanting that ever since 4.0 and the new level 60 characters. Why create a character that assumes all previous choices and locks you out content as a result? Such a waste.

Um. I created an insta60 (using the free token) when KotFE was released so I could run through the story and see how it worked, a sort of dry run. Good thing I did, because I mis-read "the" dialogue wheel in the Chapter IX cantina, and locked the poor sod out of being able to romance his girlfriend Lana. So when my at-the-time main Commandogirl Kylath went through and dumped her plan to reunite with Theron(1), she was able to continue locking lips with Lana during the rest of the story, because I knew how the thing worked.

So, not a waste. Not at all.

(1) See http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8697281#post8697281 for why the plan ended up in a campfire.

And at some point you will cry because you can not play the story anymore. I only say 65's token. :rolleyes: Then you shout aloud after that you can catch up on the story again. :p

I think the pre-set choices are the issue, and it would be nice to give people a couple of checkboxes to pick their direction if they use a 60 or 65 token or the L 70 boost.

I actually like KOTFE and KOTET a lot but there are parts of each expac that do make me groan when it comes time to replay them with alts. The walker sections never stop being awful for me. Every time I have to do those Kaliyo and GEMINI ship chapters they are less fun, and they weren't fun to begin with. So I can understand the appeal of not wanting to run KOTFE/ET on one's 10th or 20th alt.

So, not a waste. Not at all.

Your personal RP anecdote aside, the aforementioned waste is being locked out of playing everything prior to level 60 and having no choice in the advanced character's background you're creating. Whereas having a world state editor available would alleviate that.

Your personal RP anecdote aside, the aforementioned waste is being locked out of playing everything prior to level 60 and having no choice in the advanced character's background you're creating. Whereas having a world state editor available would alleviate that.

...... then you should let the game be completely. If you can create a char and even mark the romances etc. Why then play?:rolleyes: I'm in favor of skipping Kotfe + Kotet. But then people should also live with what is given to them.

And at some point you will cry because you can not play the story anymore. I only say 65's token. :rolleyes: Then you shout aloud after that you can catch up on the story again. :p

Oh trust me. I got like 60 characters. I'm perfectly fine skipping story on half of them. I don't need to experience all the stories that many times again and again :p

If I do, I'll make another character. I'm good at making characters. :D

I know we can have more options than skipping both long, corridor based, walker-dragging-the-narrative-having, 'choice are important', poorly rewarded expansions with the default choices across the board being depending on what faction you are. Surely you good people at BioWare Austin can implement some sort of line of choices memory sequence before starting off where you're skipping to? I feel like the general consensus about the expansions are they're worth touching at least once (usually NOT on people's mains) but are a slog to run through again.

I personally enjoyed the stories the first time to some extent (Kotfe was a drag through and through) but now that some companions are back, is it really fair to have all choices defaulted to say Dark side on a Light side Imperial who up to then was being played as a pragmatic unifier? Having to run all through Kotfe to reconnect with Kaliyo (9 chapters!) to realize the romance trigger didn't work at all was.. something. And that's just on my 4th OG toon running through this hot trash.

+1

I still haven't passed the 1st walker chapter in KotET. What a slog.

This. So much this.

After 3.5 playthroughs of KotET and 4 playthroughs of KotFE, I find myself rather playing through Makeb again, which is saying something, because Makeb is one story for all classes, but even then, at least my different companions react differently in each area.

I think I played all possible MAJOR variations of KotFE/KotET what I wanted.

On my other alts going forward, I still want to make those choices, like romancing Lana/Theron etc. but I don't feel like going through 25-40 hours of content again for a few story choice clicks.

And it's not the cutscenes, they are great after the nth time too.

The choices could be done on a google poll like interface, for all I care.

I did it on my main and have zero interest in ever doing it again. Just too many reasons why it's too horrendous to run again. I have like 17 or 18 level 70 toons and have never started it on another, it's that bad. I would love this kind of a checklist option. It's why I like getting to level 55(?) and having multiple options story-wise. If I don't feel like doing Makeb for the 100th time I can just skip it and go do SoR or something.

You asked why anyone would want to create an insta60. I gave you a reason, something (personally) useful to me, but I wouldn't call it RP. I don't do RP.

Whatever.