Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best Relics for Shadow Tank?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Consular > Shadow
Best Relics for Shadow Tank?

Jimvinny
05.07.2013 , 11:40 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Omophorus View Post
I want to minimize the HPS requirements on me for the healers. Mathematically, a healing relic does that better than a static or clicky mitigation relic in 99% of content. I don't care about when I take damage so long as my healers are capable of healing me through it. If I take less damage throughout the fight, they have more resources when burst healing is required.

"snip"

Advocating double clicky relics and saving them for a rainy day is just plain bad advice. You will be significantly squishier most of the time, but not enough sturdier when it counts for it to be a worthwhile trade-off. I don't think I can speak more plainly than that. The math simply doesn't support alternative interpretations, and tanking is a combination of math and strategy (which should take the math into account).
What he said.

Songwhistle
05.07.2013 , 06:21 PM | #42
I totally agree with the math of it being better overall. NO DISCUSSION. dont bother mentioning math when it really isn't relevant. point i was making was use the right relics for the right fight and if you know you are on a fight with high spike damage - then switch to a clicky. I know that it wouldn't do much but spike damage on tanks for whatever reason is in most cases what kills them. Not resources from the healer. I haven't heard of a healer going out of energy for ages.

tXHereticXt
05.17.2013 , 03:28 AM | #43
Right now I roll with a heal and shield proc, I guess I should replace my Shield with Def though? I figured with the changes to shields now in the game, that a shield proc would be better but I don't feel like it makes too much of a difference in quite a few fights.

Kitru
05.17.2013 , 08:34 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by tXHereticXt View Post
I figured with the changes to shields now in the game, that a shield proc would be better but I don't feel like it makes too much of a difference in quite a few fights.
The weights that KBN and dipstik have done are weighted to account for the comparative ratios of M/R to F/T K/E attacks, so the ratio argument is already accounted for.

There are couple other things that you should consider as a Shadow though. If you're stacking your stats properly, you should be stacking a lot more Abs by default than Def. As such, the Abs proc, because it's a big lump sum for a short period of time, means you're going to get more of the functional Abs shaved off by DR than you would with the Def proc relic. As such, the Def proc is going to add a bit more than the Abs proc even with the same ratings. Something else to consider is that the Def proc relic has Defense as the secondary stat on it whereas the Abs proc relic has Power. Even if everything else was equal, the passive stats would make the Def proc relic better.

As you've observed, however, the differences are remarkably minute. In the same way that having stats that aren't absolutely optimally distributed isn't going to be really noticeable, the difference between the Abs proc and the Def proc aren't going to be really noticeable. The difference only really matters if you care about making sure that you're as *absolutely* as tanky as possible.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

DarkStorm
06.11.2013 , 09:57 PM | #45
Ok guys, I have been using the DG proc heal and DG proc shield relics till 2.0 and have since upgraded to the Arkanian versions of these (Ephemeral Mending & Shield Amplification if memory serves correctly.)

My question: With the changes being made to stacking proc relics, are these 2 relics working properly for us Shadow Tanks now, or are we gonna have to switch one of them to the "use" relics to have 2 properly working relics?

I haven't noticed any major problems with having these equipped at this time. However, I was wondering if any of you have noticed a difference while using these 2 relics together. Thanks for any input that you guys offer as I would like some clarification on this matter.
Zayhne Qel'marr
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
:⋠Jedi Shadow

Kitru
06.11.2013 , 10:27 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkStorm View Post
My question: With the changes being made to stacking proc relics, are these 2 relics working properly for us Shadow Tanks now, or are we gonna have to switch one of them to the "use" relics to have 2 properly working relics?
The stacking proc fix didn't affect proc relics with different procs (i.e. a healing proc relic and a tank proc relic). It was implemented to address the issue with the PvP power proc relics not being on the same ICD (but putting the PvP proc relics on CD). I also think it addressed the issue that the power proc relic had separate ICDs for the healing and damage proc, allowing classes like Watchman Sents and Balance Shad/Sages to get double the benefit from a single relic (which still stacked), but I'm not definitively sure about that change.

As such, the best loadout is still the heal proc and the def proc, with the absorb proc an acceptable substitute for the def proc relic until such time that you can get one.
My New Class Idea

DarkStorm
06.11.2013 , 10:30 PM | #47
Thanks Kitru, it is good to know it didn't make a difference. Appreciate all your help and work in these forums.
Zayhne Qel'marr
₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪
:⋠Jedi Shadow

ialyxxiieee
06.14.2013 , 11:15 AM | #48
So What about The Proc Defence relic, is that completely out of the equation ?
Prosperity Makes Monsters,Adversity Makes Men
Vesanne 55 Kinetic Combat55 Balance
"That was close, I almost surrendered completely to peace and pacifism, How repundant" - HK47

Kitru
06.14.2013 , 11:56 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by ialyxxiieee View Post
So What about The Proc Defence relic, is that completely out of the equation ?
I specifically said that the best loadout was the Heal proc relic and the Def proc relic. Not entirely sure why you're asking if it's out of the question since it's right there in the answer.
My New Class Idea