Remove the rakghoul plague now

At least in this thread, there's like the same 3-4 people arguing against this event,
Actually, I think only the OP is against the event; the other people are arguing against the fact that it allows people to be griefed.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple solution = Allow infected people that come to social zones like the Fleet get targeted by NPCs and gunned down.

Players are intentionally abusing it by going to areas where large amounts of people are inorder to game the mechanics.

The Fleet is visited by folks from 10 - 50. Higher levels or alts may be able to afford getting infected and curing it but it is an unreasonable situation to screw over those that are neither and dont want to be infected.

The Fleet is supposed to be a safe zone... as such the NPCs should be gunning down people that are infected.

There is a quest to infect 10 players. The best way to complete that quest is going to the Fleet.

so, now you're argument is that it's not griefing very much rather than not griefing at all?

Of course, you're also overlooking any additional inconvenience that it causes if it happens in a warzone.

if you have a champion mob at 10% and it happens, does the champion sit there at 10% waiting for you to get up, or does it reset back to 100%?

It's still not griefing when they get somethign for it. Moreso, is if they infect someoen they get credit toward a quest :eek: !! that means free XP for exploding on people.

yeah, helpign peole get currency and free XP is *totally* griefing.

Simple solution = Allow infected people that come to social zones like the Fleet get targeted by NPCs and gunned down.

Players are intentionally abusing it by going to areas where large amounts of people are inorder to game the mechanics.

The Fleet is visited by folks from 10 - 50. Higher levels or alts may be able to afford getting infected and curing it but it is an unreasonable situation to screw over those that are neither and dont want to be infected.

The Fleet is supposed to be a safe zone... as such the NPCs should be gunning down people that are infected.

The containment officers tried to contain me but I gunned them down. Went to the fleet and blew up on people, not one complaint from anyone in the fleet.

This thread has strangely become a massive support for the event and the plague. I think the OP should just change it`s title.

The event is quite fun, the need to infect other players turned badly making all people gather in the fleet and wait to explode = big mess.

Maybe if we'd need to infect way less players than 10 it would not be that bad.

Also the scavenger hunt is really nice but could be improved indicating a search area for every spot, otherwise mostly everyone use third party web site with the exact coordinates.

Finally I would have appreciated being able to send the pet to one of my lowbies alts and enjoy it's company wile leveling.

Anyway GJ BioWare.

Edited by Deewe

It's still not griefing when they get somethign for it.
No, it's still griefing even then.

If someone walks into your house and takes a dump in your living room, the fact that you get something doesn't make that ok...

Edited by ferroz

The problem with that one was....the event started causing havoc on the servers, and player's computers were graphically lagging so badly in the main cities players were having trouble simply playing due to the hundreds of corpses laying around that weren't despawning. The other problem was players were going out and wiping out all the quest NPCs in the lowbie towns for their own faction. I went out to the Crossroads to try and stop them, and got some pretty hateful whispers from the griefers. It's the reason I think people should keep the fun amongst themselves and not bother someone not really interested in the event in that I'm not saying don't enjoy the event, just don't do so at someone else's expense.

Now I will agree that event was full of griefing. Namely becasue it disrupted *everything* and it held no benefits at all to anyone. Auctioneers, quest givers, lowbies... anyoen and everythign coudl be infected. And you weren't doign it for rewards, just to be a tool. Now, I was on a PvP server and a group of us did get infected and then went storming a few horde cities... but that was PvP happening on a PvP server. Was interestign to find out that while in ghoul form you could all talk to each other since the ghouls used their own language.

Actually, I think only the OP is against the event; the other people are arguing against the fact that it allows people to be griefed.

Then it's an argument if this could be considered griefing. The game tells you to infect 10 players. so we're playing by the games rules. And besides that, griefing is a harsh term used for people that are screwing someone over and over, like corpse camping or chasing someone around spamming them with emotes.

Giving you a debuff that after an hour blows you up with no repair costs and gives you items to sell on the GTN for a lot of coin is not griefing.

If someone walks into your house and takes a dump in your living room, the fact that you get something doesn't make that ok...

If that dump could be sold for 1000s of dollars, go right ahead and dump in my living room. :D

so, now you're argument is that it's not griefing very much rather than not griefing at all?

Of course, you're also overlooking any additional inconvenience that it causes if it happens in a warzone.

if you have a champion mob at 10% and it happens, does the champion sit there at 10% waiting for you to get up, or does it reset back to 100%?

Don't go fight a champion mob while you're infected? You do keep a tab on your current debuffs, right?

Then it's an argument if this could be considered griefing.
No, they've been griefed.

Sicne you're not the one being inconvenienced, you don't consider it grieifing... but that doesn't change anything: it's still grieifing.

Don't go fight a champion mob while you're infected?
If it's preventing people from doing what they'd normally do, and caused specifically by a player's actions in a non-pvp situation, that's pretty clearly griefing, eh? Edited by ferroz

This is just a temporary world event. Just lighten up and go with the flow. It is actually very funny. You have several options:

1. Buy a Rakghoul Vaccine from a medical vendor.

2. Do the quests on Tatooine and get free vaccines.

3. If you get infected, just wait 20 minutes (go about your business) and you will eventually explode and then when you rez up, you will be cured.

4. Avoid other sick players that have green clouds around them and glowing eyes if you don't want to play along.

Seriously... it's just pixels on a screen. It's not like you can get the Rakghoul Plague in RL.

Edited by Musezy

I have 10 million credits and I still don't buy immunity. Interesting events like this will stop when whiny players like OP ruin it for the rest of us, like what happened in WoW.

Dying or not, I haven't had it interrupt my play except for wPVP where it broke me out of stealth. Even then it was fun.

They aren't abusing it... they're *supposed* to go and infect people. It's a quest... which means you should go do it.

It is safe... because nothign is harmign you. Quite the opposite, they are helping you. You get DNA which is selling fast adn for good credits (if you're not just keepign them yourselffor the pet and black/green crystals) and if you infect others you get credit toward the quest which is free XP if you're not at 50. They are helpign you, not hindering you.

I don't normally like forced world events, but this one seems mild in comparison to most.

The only real issue I can see is with taking the plague to the starter worlds. I think new players should get to learn the game in peace.

Yes, I got infected, and exploded. But I respawned without getting re-infected and could carry on with missions just fine.

The is just a temporary world event. Just lighten up and go with the flow. It is actually very funny. You have several options:

1. Buy a Rakghoul Vaccine from a medical vendor.

2. Do the quests on Tatooine and get free vaccines.

3. If you get infected, just wait 20 minutes (go about your business) and you will eventually explode and then when you rez up, you will be cured.

4. Avoid other sick players that have green clouds around them and glowing eyes if you don't want to play along.

Seriously... it's just pixels on a screen. It's not like you can get the Rakghoul Plague in RL.

You left out

5. Post on the forums to try and get Bioware to remove the option to grief other players, and especially to make sure to not include such mechanics in future events.

Which seems to be the best option to me.

At least in this thread, there's like the same 3-4 people arguing against this event, while the rest of the posts are a variety of people saying "it's a great event." I see more 'stop complaining' than 'complaining', so I'd be more inclined to say the ones that don't like the event are in the minority based on the forums. In game, I haven't heard a single complaint.

The biggest issue a lot of players have in modern MMOs is how samey and routine things are, and then a bunch of people get excited when there's something different. The genre was founded on randomness. It's the newer MMO players that get frustrated when their routine is interrupted.

Well of course, forums are NEVER a good indication of actual community feeling. It's just a sample of largely a particular type of people who are more inclined to make noise on a forum.

When it comes to something like this plague, that is going to encompass two sets of people - those who really like to QQ in the forums, and those who really like to QQ against QQers. Your every day player who just plays the game and doesn't bother with things like this are more into the routine, and I can say that most people in game seem more confused than anything.

Again, the event itself is great and I think most everyone would agree. Where people are upset, when they are, is that it's something which is inescapably distracting from their experience, as opposed to adding to it. If it was purely something else to experience while still being able to enjoy the rest of the game as well, nobody would complain.

As it is, it feels like a completely different game and it's pretty annoying. (At least on my server:) People aren't queing for PvP. They're not trying to find groups for FPs. They're not buying stuff from the GTN. They're not doing all the things that make the game fun day to day. Part of it is that they're distracted by Tatooine, which I find fairly annoying but I suppose there isn't much to be done there. (Again, I like people doing the Tatooine stuff, but they're not doing it and moving on but are rather ignoring everything else and spending all day there). Part of it, however, is people not wanting to deal with the plague right now and so staying away from the normal social areas.

Sicne you're not the one being inconvenienced, you don't consider it grieifing... but that doesn't change anything: it's still grieifing.

Nope its not. You're diluting the word griefing. It's being inconvenienced. I could make a giant list of things people do that I don't like, and find inconvenient. By your terms, that's being greifed.

Do you expect me to be impressed by the fact you only pulled out the part of what I said that you could twist and completely ignored the statement about hwo it *benefited* them to have it done to them?

They aren't abusing it... they're *supposed* to go and infect people. It's a quest... which means you should go do it.
by that logic, the people who were trading victories in illum weren't abusing it either...

It is safe... because nothign is harmign you.
No, that's just false; people have gone over the various ways that it causes harm....

No you!

But seriously, if there was no way to avoid infection you might have a point, but there is.. several. If it's inconvinient for you then I'm sorry but it's still not griefing.

Do you expect me to be impressed by the fact you only pulled out the part of what I said that you could twist and completely ignored the statement about hwo it *benefited* them to have it done to them?
There's nothing twisted about it: the guy who walks into your house and takes a dump on the floor expects you to thank him for it. He's given you something that benefits you.

Or so he thinks. The reality is that you don't really care for his gift, and it is far more of an inconvenience than it is any benefit to you ... sound familiar?

Edited by ferroz

Nope its not. You're diluting the word griefing. It's being inconvenienced. I could make a giant list of things people do that I don't like, and find inconvenient. By your terms, that's being greifed.

Fine, then define griefing by your standard.

Well of course, forums are NEVER a good indication of actual community feeling. It's just a sample of largely a particular type of people who are more inclined to make noise on a forum.

When it comes to something like this plague, that is going to encompass two sets of people - those who really like to QQ in the forums, and those who really like to QQ against QQers. Your every day player who just plays the game and doesn't bother with things like this are more into the routine, and I can say that most people in game seem more confused than anything.

Again, the event itself is great and I think most everyone would agree. Where people are upset, when they are, is that it's something which is inescapably distracting from their experience, as opposed to adding to it. If it was purely something else to experience while still being able to enjoy the rest of the game as well, nobody would complain.

As it is, it feels like a completely different game and it's pretty annoying. (At least on my server:) People aren't queing for PvP. They're not trying to find groups for FPs. They're not buying stuff from the GTN. They're not doing all the things that make the game fun day to day. Part of it is that they're distracted by Tatooine, which I find fairly annoying but I suppose there isn't much to be done there. (Again, I like people doing the Tatooine stuff, but they're not doing it and moving on but are rather ignoring everything else and spending all day there). Part of it, however, is people not wanting to deal with the plague right now and so staying away from the normal social areas.

That's why I mentioned in-game. When WoW did their zombie event, there was full on hate and complaints in the general chats. There's nothing like that on my server. All I see is people helping each other find where the stuff is/how to do it.