Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which Is The Better Soloist AC?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Which Is The Better Soloist AC?

Cavell
02.02.2013 , 01:04 PM | #1
I asked this over on the Sith side of things, but figured I'd get some Jedi perspective as well.

Between Guardian and Sentinel, which would you play if you mostly intended to be a solo artist? Solo leveling, and then some mucking around with solo queueing for the Pee to the Vee to the Pee when you hit 50, but no raiding or probably even HM instances.

My understanding is that Guardian/Jugg is a damn slow leveler, but a lot of people enjoy its PVP versatility, while Marauder is a PVE monster, and good in PVP, but a tad on the one-trick-pony side of things.

Usefulidiots
02.02.2013 , 02:42 PM | #2
I will speak just out of personal exp. I have a 43 sent and i am not very good with her at pve or pvp. I know people have a lot of success in both areas, but I am not one of them. I leveled a Jugg to 50 and really enjoyed the game play and story. I leveled him up the whole way as tank/hybrid spec. it went a little slow but i able able to compete a lot of stuff on my own. Right now I am leveling a Guardian and he is around 36. He has been focus spec the whole time and i have enjoyed pve and pvp alot. It feels like I can actually do some damage and still use my taunts and guard when i switch to that form. Kira and I usually rip through planets rather easily and the story is very good as well. After 10 other toons who were all on thier own, my alts are finally making gear for the jedi to level with, so i may be a little bias because he has had good gear the whole way.

Ryat
02.02.2013 , 11:10 PM | #3
Sentinels are a bit harder to learn and deal with as they are more squishy and take a bit more understanding of their strengths and weaknesses. That said, since a Sentinel was my first AC to go through (before I even alted) my time and training on it has helped me a lot when I began my alting journey. So if you want to go with an "easier" path, go Guardian. If you want your path to be "easier" later on, go Sentinel.

Rerednaw
02.06.2013 , 11:10 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
I asked this over on the Sith side of things, but figured I'd get some Jedi perspective as well.

Between Guardian and Sentinel, which would you play if you mostly intended to be a solo artist? Solo leveling, and then some mucking around with solo queueing for the Pee to the Vee to the Pee when you hit 50, but no raiding or probably even HM instances.

My understanding is that Guardian/Jugg is a damn slow leveler, but a lot of people enjoy its PVP versatility, while Marauder is a PVE monster, and good in PVP, but a tad on the one-trick-pony side of things.
Solo most of the time, Sentinel is by far faster. But Sentinels also die fast. Tanks level slow but steady with almost zero downtime. And slow is subjective. I just finished another tank and while I am not a power/uber gamer it took me 146 hours to hit 50. No flashpoints save Essesles/Hammer. Only did PvP a few times. 99% solo.

jupezz
02.06.2013 , 02:59 PM | #5
Well, that's not so easy to answer.
Sent/Mara is definitely faster early on but a Guardian/Jugg will catch up sooner than later and ultimately be faster or rather more efficient as you can solo H4 quests if you're tank-specced and have a well equipped/modded Quinn or Doc, respectively - and you have pretty much no downtimes at all.
From like 31 to 49 Focus is also better as a Guardian for extremely fast trash clearing.

But when it comes to casually PvP'ing at 50, a Sent is undoubtedly safer and more forgiving as you have a lot of skills that somehow diminish the difference in gear/expertise.