1.4: New font feedback

Rhesus_TOR

The black offset shadow on flytext is a nice touch, thanks.

The black outline on all of the now-horizontally compressed chat hurts where before the black outline wasn't that big of a deal.

Also, the change in character names to ALL-CAPS on the operations frames makes the names pointless for characters with names longer than say, 5 characters.

Is there any way we can turn off the black outline for the small horizontally-compressed text? Is there a way for us to pick a more legible font? Is there a way for us to be able to get back the UPPER/lower case in the operations frame?

Except for the offest shadow on flytext all of the UI changes I cited are steps away from accessibility. Please help your players out here.

Edited by Rhesus_TOR

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why, but seeing this kind of post pleased me.

Perhaps it's because my mind is graphically inclined as a designer and I notice the little things like that. I foresee this bothering me as well.

Thanks for the positive response! It looks like they're using a NARROW font variant of the base font to which we've grown accustomed. As a reault, the smaller font sizes with the black outlines now look really really bad.

Some of the color combinations before (like the dark purple chat text for Artifact quality items) were pushing illegible, but now it has gotten eyestraining and downright painful to try to read.

If I have to bump up a font size 1-3 points to restore readability, that's not much of an upgrade to the UI overall.

Edited by Rhesus_TOR

All the new tooltip font for skills, items and crafting is horrible. Too small and hard to read. Big strain to my eyes and the only option to fix it "a little" is to lower the graphics. Which in itself is a big "no-no" for a fix.

Nothing was wrong with the old font, why even change it?

Edited by Yun_Gemstone

Talents are now unreadable, and items are now grainey and slightly blurred, spent hours changing resolution and graphics settings, nothing fixes it. Was 100% fine before patch 1.4 :(

I was shocked when I found out there were less than 1m subscribers I see why now, changes like this border insanity, they should be BIGGER not smaller ffs!!!! And how many years do we have to wait for a button to disable screenshake. I knew 18 people who played this game 17 left because of the screenshaking absolutely everywhere you go and you cant turn it off, laughable.

Perhaps the screen shaking could even be classified as ... oh, I dunno... game breaking?

When it comes to the font on the tooltip, try going into interface option and change the size (scaling) of the tooltip and see if you can get it to fit in your UI. I know that all the text in the tooltip will become bigger and the square itself will be bigger, but you might be able to find something that is too your liking.

Good luck.

After reading this thread yesturday and then going home to see for myself I must say...

...I have no idea what you people are talking about. I haven't noticed a change in the font. I do notice that there is the black shadow and that actually makes it cleaner and easier to read. The size has remained the same to me, or if it actually was changed...then not by much.

Perhaps it's because I don't wear glasses and I have been playing this game with small font to begin with (most settings on all my computers have small fonts for more space on the desktop).

Perhaps I should come back tonight and post a screen shot of my UI set-up and see the difference.

Please change the fonts back!

played last night and I'm having to start sqwinting to read chat after this patch :o.

before the patch i was fine with my chat font 18 nice big letters not missing a word but now I'm really going to have to think if I want to wast my time with a game that makes me sqwint. I have changed around my resolutions but if I go smaller the games then becomes to blurry to play and if I go larger the everything gets smaller and kinda defeat what I'm trying to do :(

Can not think of why EA even changed the fonts anyway but I guess someone thinks its a must fix and we all needed it :mad:

Edited by huggaa

The screen shaking... you know, what happens when someone on the other side of the zone casts force quake (aka NOWHERE near you) and your screen shakes... repeatedly... and again and again.... it's terribly irritating and something they said they'd look into fixing back around 1.1...

The new font is weird. It's definitely less readable... like it's been squished or something. I suppose I'll get used to it, but why change it in the first place? Cant remember ANYONE complaining about it...

And yes you can increase the global scale, but then you have to go back and decrease the scale of every other individual ui element. For some reason, the global scale affects the chat font differently than the actual chat font size option in the window., and there is no scale option for the chat window in the Interface Editor package (there are no options for it at all.)

Also, the ALL CAPS IN THE OPS FRAMES needs to go.

Anyway, seems like if you bump up your global scale a notch then turn down everything else manually it makes the text more or less as readable as it was before.

Edited by Polebreaker

Sorry to disagree but the new font (especially in tooltips) is simply unreadable (far too small), as least for me.

BW, please reverse all the font changes, and please every time you do a change like that add the option to mandtain the old appearence.

Sorry to disagree but the new font (especially in tooltips) is simply unreadable (far too small), as least for me.

BW, please reverse all the font changes, and please every time you do a change like that add the option to mandtain the old appearence.

You can adjust the size of your UI in the UI Editor.

http://swtorhub.com/sites/swtorhub.com/files/styles/nodeview/public/images/SWTOR_UI_05.jpg

Either using the 'Global Scale' or if you specifically want to make your OPS window bigger for example you can do that too.

You can adjust the size of your UI in the UI Editor.

http://swtorhub.com/sites/swtorhub.com/files/styles/nodeview/public/images/SWTOR_UI_05.jpg

Either using the 'Global Scale' or if you specifically want to make your OPS window bigger for example you can do that too.

Only two questions:

1) how can I increase the font size in the tooltip that appears when i have the mouse over a piece of my gear (it seems font size 7 to me)? It is not in the interface editor if i'm not wrong.

2) how can I increase the size of the number reporting my hp and my heat, considering that my character panel has already 1.25 zoom and the font size seems 9 to me?

Edited by Savro

Only two questions:

1) how can I increase the font size in the tooltip that appears when i have the mouse over a piece of my gear (it seems font size 7 to me)? It is not in the interface editor if i'm not wrong.

2) how can I increase the size of the number reporting my hp and my heat, considering that my character panel has already 1.25 zoom and the font size seems 9 to me?

What size monitor do you have? I have tested out 1.25 just for fun when I was messing with my UI and it's overwhelmingly huge. I'm at somewhere between 0.80-0.85.

Do you mean your font looks like this? (at 7)

Perhaps you need a bigger screen. Our receptionist at work got a 24 ince screen because of her cataracs. Can you post a screenshot?

What size monitor do you have? I have tested out 1.25 just for fun when I was messing with my UI and it's overwhelmingly huge. I'm at somewhere between 0.80-0.85.

I have a 19inchs LCD.

Do you mean your font looks like this? (at 7)

Exactly like that

Perhaps you need a bigger screen. Our receptionist at work got a 24 ince screen because of her cataracs. Can you post a screenshot?

Thanks for the suggestions but the tooltip was readble before, i'm not going to spend money for a swtor patch change, sorry, i don't have so much money. My monitor is ok at 1366x768 for all but swtor (now), it was good, not perfect but good, until yesterday patch...

This is a item tooltip screenshot

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/840/screenshot2012092717484.jpg/