Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Starguard/Rycer love


Broba's Avatar


Broba
02.21.2014 , 07:57 PM | #1
A lot of people seem to be QQing about bombers and flashfires, not to mention the neverending butthurtedness about gunships. But I see that the starguard/rycer gets absolutely no love, or hate. A well built Strike Fighter easily has the best balance between high dps and survivability. Not to mention they are hands down the best shield eaters in the game (argue with me that ion rails are better, but I find their accuracy highly unreliable and only useful for their spammable qualities). So lets get some love for the true starfighter, a team friendly, kill hungry Starguard.

Sindariel's Avatar


Sindariel
02.21.2014 , 08:43 PM | #2
Strike Fighters are indeed cool, but the Rycer/Starguard definitely lacks a viable close range laser option to pair up with Heavy Lasers.
Crapid Fire Lasers are so bad that people rather choose Quads for close range combat.

GooberNoob's Avatar


GooberNoob
02.21.2014 , 08:47 PM | #3
I actually like the rapid fires for my 2nd primary, they have a very nice firing arc and if someone is that close to me its generally because they survived at half my energy bar worth of heavy laser shots so the low power consumption is a bonus. The damage isn't good but it seems to serve as a decent finisher for folks who get close and out of your heavy's firing arc.

Broba's Avatar


Broba
02.21.2014 , 08:53 PM | #4
an ion laser with heavy/quad laser combo paired with cluster missiles are absolutely devastating against any ship. You can burn your opponents down in seconds.

Broba's Avatar


Broba
02.21.2014 , 08:54 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post
Strike Fighters are indeed cool, but the Rycer/Starguard definitely lacks a viable close range laser option to pair up with Heavy Lasers.
Crapid Fire Lasers are so bad that people rather choose Quads for close range combat.
The Ion Laser is the ships money maker and people never seem to use it.

Sindariel's Avatar


Sindariel
02.21.2014 , 09:12 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberNoob View Post
I actually like the rapid fires for my 2nd primary, they have a very nice firing arc and if someone is that close to me its generally because they survived at half my energy bar worth of heavy laser shots so the low power consumption is a bonus. The damage isn't good but it seems to serve as a decent finisher for folks who get close and out of your heavy's firing arc.
But there are other laser choices which would do the job much better and most of all faster.

Quote: Originally Posted by Broba View Post
The Ion Laser is the ships money maker and people never seem to use it.
Ion Lasers are best paired with Quads, because both have their most effective range at around 3000m.

That still leaves us with Crapids to pair up with Heavies.

Broba's Avatar


Broba
02.21.2014 , 09:22 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post
But there are other laser choices which would do the job much better and most of all faster.



Ion Lasers are best paired with Quads, because both have their most effective range at around 3000m.

That still leaves us with Crapids to pair up with Heavies.
who says you need to pair up rapids, with heavies? Use the ions to knock out shields and rapids to melt hull. Rapids are extremely useful for finishing off opponents due to their extremely generous firing arc.

ion lasers
rapid lasers
cluster missiles

barrel roll
quick charge shield

large reactor
power thruster
range or damage capacitor
munitions or power pool extender

this is the build that will allow you top of the match DPS paired with survivability to unimpeededly dominate your opponents.

Sindariel's Avatar


Sindariel
02.21.2014 , 09:34 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Broba View Post
who says you need to pair up rapids, with heavies? Use the ions to knock out shields and rapids to melt hull. Rapids are extremely useful for finishing off opponents due to their extremely generous firing arc.
You dont't get the point.
I'm talking about a weapon to pair up with Heavies, not a weapon to pair up with Rapids.

And as i already said, there are MUCH better lasers to finish off an enemy. Rapids do horrible damage.

Furthermore, our close range lasers shouldn't only be useful to finish off an enemy. They should be useful for all-around dogfighting, which Rapids aren't.

Most people will complain, but imo Burst lasers would be the best option for the Rycer/Starguard. If any ship would benefit the most from them, than it's this.

Heavy Lasers to rule the space at long range -> Burst Lasers to rule at close range. This combination would fit the Strike Fighters intended role of a "space superiority fighter" the best. (Not to mention that Strikers would finally be competitive with Flashfires/Stings at dogfighting.

Broba's Avatar


Broba
02.21.2014 , 09:45 PM | #9
I can see your point about discrepancies with long range fighting, however if this is your mode of attack you are not utilizing this ship properly. The Starguards best build is flown mid to close range. With faster, albeit weaker weapons. Their is a lot of upside to heavy lasers and concussion missiles. But it's the little pews that are most effective. No matter what your primary blaster choice is, having it paired with ion lasers is the absolute must with the fighter. Just a couple of hits allows you to work against a ship missing it's primary source of damage mitigation. So use those heavies, use them all day and I can't contest with you that they are effective, but use them proceeding your ions to absolutely be able to rock this ship

Sindariel's Avatar


Sindariel
02.21.2014 , 10:00 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Broba View Post
I can see your point about discrepancies with long range fighting, however if this is your mode of attack you are not utilizing this ship properly. The Starguards best build is flown mid to close range.
I prefer close and mid range fighting, since i mainly fly a scout. And my current weapon choice on the Rycer is the Quad and Ion combo.
BUT we have the option to use Heavy Lasers for long range purposes. It's just that we don't have another weapon which would synergize with them except the horrible rapids.
It would be another topic if Rapids wouldn't be so inferior. Their huge firing arc is the only advantage that makes them halfway useful.