Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Thermite Torpedo rework suggestion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Thermite Torpedo rework suggestion

Sindariel's Avatar


Sindariel
02.21.2014 , 10:51 AM | #1
Just a small idea that came up to me while posting in another thread to make Thermite Torpedoes actually useful.

- Increase shield damage to the same level as hull damage (around 1500 dmg i believe)
- remove shield piercing
- split up the damage into a direct damage and a dot component, similar to how the Plasma Railgun works.

Now, we have an effective long range weapon to do heavy damage to our opponents shields and eat through his hull and at the same time prevent his shields from regenerating (due to the dot).
Then, we just need to boost into laser range and pierce through his already weakend or depleted shields.

Splitting up the damage would also prevent us from one-shotting an enemy if we hit his hull directly and give our opponent a small chance to survive by using a shield ability or retreat to a repair drone.

Slivovidze's Avatar


Slivovidze
02.21.2014 , 11:58 AM | #2
Umm, what's the problem with the current one? It works well enough for me.

What you are suggesting, I'd see more like an unique missile for the third scout type, second gunship or something like that.

Armonddd's Avatar


Armonddd
02.21.2014 , 12:29 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Slivovidze View Post
Umm, what's the problem with the current one? It works well enough for me.

What you are suggesting, I'd see more like an unique missile for the third scout type, second gunship or something like that.
Currently, thermite is designed as a long-range weapon to use on targets with little to no shields remaining, but the scout's tools to damage shields are short-range only.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Altheran's Avatar


Altheran
02.21.2014 , 12:42 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
Currently, thermite is designed as a long-range weapon to use on targets with little to no shields remaining, but the scout's tools to damage shields are short-range only.
And generally the life span of a ship without shields is either less than the lock-on time, or the target will start regenerate those shields, the torpedo doing very low damage in the end.

Slivovidze's Avatar


Slivovidze
02.21.2014 , 01:05 PM | #5
I never said it was braindead easy to use. But it is definitely possible to use them effectively, and they are fun.
Yes they are somehow weaker than pods when it comes to raw fighting and damage dealing. But they have their uses, which I will not explain lenghthily in a thread made to share ideas about their tweaking.
We can't have everything perfectly balanced in all ways and Thermites are currently indeed pulling the shorter end, but I'm quite sure some little tweaks here and there will somehow shift the powers around without massive reworks like what OP designed.

As I said, it is definitely not a bad idea, I'd give my thumbs up for missiles like that, but to me it seems like an idea for a brand new missile type.

Morgrid's Avatar


Morgrid
02.21.2014 , 01:50 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post
Just a small idea that came up to me while posting in another thread to make Thermite Torpedoes actually useful.

- Increase shield damage to the same level as hull damage (around 1500 dmg i believe)
- remove shield piercing
- split up the damage into a direct damage and a dot component, similar to how the Plasma Railgun works.

Now, we have an effective long range weapon to do heavy damage to our opponents shields and eat through his hull and at the same time prevent his shields from regenerating (due to the dot).
Then, we just need to boost into laser range and pierce through his already weakend or depleted shields.

Splitting up the damage would also prevent us from one-shotting an enemy if we hit his hull directly and give our opponent a small chance to survive by using a shield ability or retreat to a repair drone.
No.

You don't get to have a close range combatant with a long range powerful missile.
Darth ImperÓus of The Ebon Hawk.

Galactic Champion of "Chase the Bomber"

Sidenti's Avatar


Sidenti
02.21.2014 , 01:58 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
Currently, thermite is designed as a long-range weapon to use on targets with little to no shields remaining, but the scout's tools to damage shields are short-range only.
Since the goal of GSF appears to be coordination, teamwork and tactics, it seems the thermite torpedo is working as intended. Scouts aren't supposed to be two-way combatants - they're supposed to be hit-and-run tactical coordination types. (The best ones also minor in drone neutralization these days.)

Pair up with a gunner that has an ion loadout, or a SF with ion cannons/missiles, or a bomber with ion mines (the "better-than-nothing" option). Have them lower shields while you get lock, fire that torp, zoom in for the kill.

Bombers everywhere will hate you both.