Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Who else uses nova dive/black bolt (by choice)?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Who else uses nova dive/black bolt (by choice)?

LincolnAlphaZeta
02.20.2014 , 03:20 PM | #21
tl;dr - Depends on play style and what you want to do during a match. I prefer the Nova for node capture, gunship hunting and serious support in Domination, and Flashfire with Kenny Loggins cranked to 11 in Deathmatch

For me it's very situational.

For domination matches I fly the Nova Dive almost exclusively. The speed and engine power are perfect for getting the initial cap and then speeding between nodes for additional support, gunship hunting, and general havoc. Rocket pods are perfect for taking out defensive turrets. I have no problem going into a heavily armed node, blasting a couple turrets away, and if it's being actively defended, I can either speed away or get blasted to bits and be back at the node toot sweet trying to open up a Pack of F'em Ups

In Deathmatch I prefer the Flashfire for pure dogfighting. Much better handling/turning and the offensive abilities just match up better for me. No way I could pull off some of the twisty in & out flying I do in the Flashfire had i been flying the Nova (at least in my loadout).
<Dragon's of War>
Maunga (Sage) / Ocos (Commando)
Lanesra (Scrapper) / Yabmob a.k.a. Tubby (Shadow)
Your Smooth Jazz Voice on The Harbinger

archifikoss
02.20.2014 , 03:53 PM | #22
My pub toon uses a decently upgraded Nova. I love that little ship. My imp has his Sting.

I haven't played in a while TBH (I've burned out and need a break), but I can't play anything other than a scout (both types)... The others just feel too sluggish after my Nova and Sting.

Phatbeard
02.20.2014 , 04:18 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by DEATHICIDE View Post
The glory of the novadive will come as soon as they patch up the broken double volley cluster missile on the flashfire.

Before, flashfire was so great because it was far beyond broken, a refuge ship for all crummy pilots out there who wanted cheap kills.

They could simply grab targeting telemetry, get the shield piercing crew ability, grab burst cannon and double volley clusters, pop all their cooldowns, and no matter what they were aiming at, it was taking direct hull damage in amounts scout pilots drooled over, all while being untouchable during the onslaught.

The distortion field issue is fixed. The shield piercing is nerfed.
As soon as popping the shield piercing copilot ability and getting a guaranteed hit with your clusters is patched up, this ship has no more unintended advantages.

All those who know how to pilot the novadive like a boss, and can land those rocket pods in a dogfight regardless of what the naysayers tell you, will shine bright.
You mean the same rockets that the Flashfire can also carry? And it can carry them and have more shields instead of the utterly worthless sensors that the NovaDive is forced to use?

Korithras
02.20.2014 , 04:48 PM | #24
The only thing I prefer about my flashfire over the novadive is the retro thrusters. Other than that they're identically built when it comes to my choice in parts.

Pilgrim_Grey
02.20.2014 , 11:21 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post
Exactly. When they land on you.
Their long lock-on time and short range makes it really difficult to actually land a hit.
And any half-decent pilot who gets hit by one will never give you another chance to land a second one.
I guess I'm not sure what you're trying to prove, here. 5000 meters isn't all that short of a range for a lot of weapons scouts get, and it's the same range as cluster missiles. It's got a longer lock on time than cluster missiles, sure, but it should be longer with the extreme debuff it causes (and I think you can make an argument for cluster missiles having too short of a lock-on time, but that's more open to debate, I know). As for lock on times, 3 second default is tricky, but not impossible. It's not an issue for decent strike pilots with concussion missiles or scouts with sab probe.

The only real secondary weapon that is iffy for scouts is Thermite, I would say... Cluster is the no brainer if you just want some straight damage, rocket pods have their use for static or straight moving targets, and sab probe is the nice debuff option. If you don't want the debuff option, that's your call, but that doesn't mean it's worthless. I dislike rocket pods, but plenty of people get mileage out of them, and you can see how with how they're set up.

MadJackJack
02.21.2014 , 07:29 AM | #26
Sabotage Probe isn't a great weapon out of the box but once you put a few upgrades into it it becomes a lot better, especially once you get the upgrade that locks out the engine ability. My current upgrade plan for my Blackbolt is to upgrade Sabotage Probe to that level, get EMP to the level where it locks out the engine ability as well, and basically screw with gunships by EMPing and then Sabotaging before killing them (yes, cluster & bursts on a Flashfire/Sting are more efficient, but messing with a gunship pilot puts him off his game once he respawns).

And of course, nothing beats watching someone boost away only to realise too late that they can't turn any more and oh hey there's a big rock in front of them

Sindariel
02.21.2014 , 10:10 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Pilgrim_Grey View Post
I guess I'm not sure what you're trying to prove, here. 5000 meters isn't all that short of a range for a lot of weapons scouts get, and it's the same range as cluster missiles.
2,7s lock-on at this short range is a lot of time for your opponent to move out of your targeting reticle and break the lock-on.
I don't say it's impossible to land a sab-probe, but it's very difficult. Especially against good pilots.

Quote:
The only real secondary weapon that is iffy for scouts is Thermite, ...
Thermite torpedoes are just crap in their current form and need a complete rework.
If they'd work in a similar manner like the plasma railgun, then they might be a choice.
Make the damage against shields and hull the same, remove shield piercing and split up the damage into a direct and a dot component.

Slivovidze
02.21.2014 , 12:19 PM | #28
Actually, all secondaries on ND are awesome.
Pods, no discussion, easy to use, good damage boost, though they got nerfed horribly in the last patch. Don't really understand why because nobody ever said they were OP, but guess they took a hit from the same nerfhammer that was supposed to go on slug railguns and burst cannons.
Thermite is harder to use than pods, but it is more fun and its range gives you a fun edge against gunships and other nobrainers. I had many more epic kills with thermites in 5 days than I had in 3 months with pods.
Sabo probe is frickin awesome. 5k range with huge targetting circle. I land full thermite lock-ons in closer distances, and they are longer with narrower cone. Sabo probe is easy to lock on, hard to evade for those who tend to risk and wait till the lock is complete, and the debuff is a hell in space. Some may find it weak because it doesn't actively kill the enemy, sometimes it even "steals" the kill by sending the guy to the wall, but the function of it is just awesome. Gunships and their ions can go cry in corner when someone brings a sabo.

I somehow miss some "different" laser cannon though. We have three mediocre variants. I'd like quads or heavies, or even ions for lulz. I bet I could make a build around ions. That would be fun.

We need a second ND/BB model added to game. I need second loadout, too. It's not only about EMP, but also about thermites or my favourite shield - engine power converter.

Sindariel
02.21.2014 , 01:10 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Slivovidze View Post
I somehow miss some "different" laser cannon though. We have three mediocre variants. I'd like quads or heavies, or even ions for lulz. I bet I could make a build around ions. That would be fun..
Laser cannons are nearly identical to quads. Little less damage, but better accuracy.

Slivovidze
02.21.2014 , 01:17 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindariel View Post
Laser cannons are nearly identical to quads. Little less damage, but better accuracy.
Well, they FEEL different from Quads on my Pike