Query: How many SWTOR players have played KOTOR?

Malles

I had pre-ordered both Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords for the Xbox as soon as Gamestop was accepting pre-orders. I then bought another copy of Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords for PC after I heard about the Restoration Project.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KOTOR 3 should have been made before this, its crime it was never released. I can only pray someone opts to finish it someday. It deserves a proper ending.

The thing is though. Bioware or Obsidian or whoever LucasArts got to make the game would have a huge amount of work cleaning up the mess left by kotor 2. Let's face it, kotor 2 had a great begginning, a good middle, then it dropped off a cliff into fire. It wasn't finished and left huge holes in the storyline. There would be more work than worth to make a game good enough to make people overlook all the problems with their previous game. In the end it all comes down to money both LucasArts and Bioware saw that this MMO would bring more money for as long as it was afloat than kotor3, simply due to the fact that people that wouldn't only be drawn from the pool who had played 1 and 2. It wouldn't draw in as many new customers as TOR and greed won out. It sucks yes but that's how life is. Honestly i've been able to go through 1 and 2 only once each due to the amount of bugs and incompatibility. I'm very happy with the way this game turned out and no one will change my mind otherwise.

The thing is though. Bioware or Obsidian or whoever LucasArts got to make the game would have a huge amount of work cleaning up the mess left by kotor 2. Let's face it, kotor 2 had a great begginning, a good middle, then it dropped off a cliff into fire. It wasn't finished and left huge holes in the storyline. There would be more work than worth to make a game good enough to make people overlook all the problems with their previous game. In the end it all comes down to money both LucasArts and Bioware saw that this MMO would bring more money for as long as it was afloat than kotor3, simply due to the fact that people that wouldn't only be drawn from the pool who had played 1 and 2. It wouldn't draw in as many new customers as TOR and greed won out. It sucks yes but that's how life is. Honestly i've been able to go through 1 and 2 only once each due to the amount of bugs and incompatibility. I'm very happy with the way this game turned out and no one will change my mind otherwise.

Have you played Kotor 2 with the restoration mod?

Kotor 2>Kotor 1

I've played KOTOR 1, 2, along with TSLCRM, many story mods, etc. I wish this game referenced KotOR more. Besides Rakata, Revan, and the Endar Spire on Taris, you don't find much (except for a few last names, but no one seems to notice those)

Don't forget

Noetikon Bastila in the Consular story

I not only played them ,they were my entry into the SW universe.Always hated the films except Sidious and the lightsaber duels.I have replayed kotor 2 many dozens of times over the years and kotor 1 a few dozens of times.

Kreia made me a SW fan.Or in other words Bioware made me a SW fan.

Edited by Kaedusz

Exactly! Kotor2 is much better than the first one. Don't remember how many times I've finished it.

Yeah, but if you play without the mod, it's worse. KOTOR 2 is an example of how a company does content wrong and leaves the community to fill the void.

played both, while story was good, combat was horrible and clunky, one does not simply make SW game that is based on turns - if it was an action rpg, or even like force unleashed with tweaks and bigger character development then it would be great, or more like a jedi academy

played both, while story was good, combat was horrible and clunky, one does not simply make SW game that is based on turns - if it was an action rpg, or even like force unleashed with tweaks and bigger character development then it would be great, or more like a jedi academy

I liked the combat! First, it seemed to flow. Second, you weren't spamming LEFT LEFT LEFT RIGHT RIGHT LEFT B R LEFT LEFT RIGHT RIGHT, as you see in most Force Unleashed games. The combat added strategy to the game, and gave you a chance to think out your attacks.

I liked the combat! First, it seemed to flow. Second, you weren't spamming LEFT LEFT LEFT RIGHT RIGHT LEFT B R LEFT LEFT RIGHT RIGHT, as you see in most Force Unleashed games. The combat added strategy to the game, and gave you a chance to think out your attacks.

unfortunately my intelligence and coolness breaks formula of simple turn based games - I need both, actions and strategy to feel satisfied , and force unleshed was much more fluid and while playing I was feeling actually powerful. Kotor was slow and clunky - I would prefer fast paced lightsaber gore production and multiple force throws

Edited by Surinen

Yeah, but if you play without the mod, it's worse. KOTOR 2 is an example of how a company does content wrong and leaves the community to fill the void.

Obsidian, who in my opinion are one of the few true RPG devs out there, were rushed to release KOTOR 2. It would have been a much better game if they had more time.*

Here's an article about obsidian where they mention KOTOR 2.

* The restoration mod proves this.

unfortunately my intelligence and coolness breaks formula of simple turn based games - I need both, actions and strategy to feel satisfied , and force unleshed was much more fluid and while playing I was feeling actually powerful. Kotor was slow and clunky - I would prefer fast paced lightsaber gore production and multiple force throws

I have to disagree. I found TFU combat boring and repetitive. Besides force push and lightning you were extremely limited in force powers. Majority of the time I found myself using the same three combos and beating the game with little difficulty.

Also what does the bold mean?

I have to disagree. I found TFU combat boring and repetitive. Besides force push and lightning you were extremely limited in force powers. Majority of the time I found myself using the same three combos and beating the game with little difficulty.

Also what does the bold mean?

I wasnt beating my games, I was playing with enemies, throwing them, grabing, all sort of fun.

it means that I do not gain intellectual stimulation from strategic aspects of games, thats why I need other funny attractions, also it is rather dull to watch clumsy attacks that are repeated one after another - what is needed: fluid fast paced combat with blocks and force attacks - such SW game would be amazing

Yeah I played them both back in the day. I loved the first one and love/hated the second. Honestly I don't like to think about them much anymore. It just makes me sad to think about them and of how their stories panned out so unsatisfyingly into TOR and it's related media. Edited by OldVengeance

I played both just wish the combat and crafting still was more like in kotor and kotor II instead of what it is now.

not the turnbased part but the part that what side you choose wich abilities you could choose so not every one would have the same abilities.

Edited by Fomore

They need to be played because KOTOR 1 was one of the best games ever made. That's reason enough.

I FULLY agree.... and I also think Disney should look at that game as the basis for a new Trilogy.... Reven would make a GREAT main charachter... I can care less about that happens after EP. 6 and a old Luke and Leia and Han Solo ready to croke and poop his diaper.

Sometimes i wish i could erase all memeory of every playing kotor just so i could have that experience again. Literally on the edge of my seat all the way through, for at least the first 4 times. Tried playing both games again recently, but its hard when you know everything thats gonna happen, and i mean eveerything. Could propbably play both those games blind folded :p