Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Legacy based friendship list

IoNonSoEVero
03.25.2018 , 03:43 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by BRKMSN View Post
You assume the (potential legacy ignore) abusers are always people you would ignore. If you read this thread alone, you will see several people like me that simply want to play anonymous characters at times (even when friends are on). Potentially, a friend can find your identity using those examples before you are ready to reveal yourself.

Duel spam is it's own annoyance that should have a simple "automatically reject duel requests" checkbox. People running around you in circles isn't harassment. Go to your stronghold if it's that troublesome. Reporting that as harassment is abuse of the report feature. As soon as someone whispers you, it's no trouble to put them on ignore. But if you want to prevent whispers, just remove it from all chat preferences.

Yes, there are bad people in the community. That is why we have the features we do. One can argue that Customer Service doesn't do enough to deter bad behavior and I'd agree with that, but that also is it's own issue.
*I* have characters I don't want anyone to find because they're my "I want to play without being distracted" characters. I'm not worried about someone finding them through Legacy Ignore.

In order to find someone and connect them via Legacy Ignore, you'd still have to a) know the name of the second character b) have nobody else on your ignore list. If someone's obsessive and weird enough to sit there going through every character on the fleet or the /who list to try to find another character that might belong to a friend or enemy, they are likely going to figure it out another way anyway.

If someone's been a jerk to me on one character I don't want to inadvertently interact with them on another character. I don't want to be in any position to help them or talk to them or be in a guild with them. I don't want to end up in a flashpoint or another activity with them. Legacy Ignore facilitates that.

Running circles around someone when they are minding their own business and trying to get something done IS harassment. It's someone acting like a jerk and trying to call attention to themselves for their own kicks. There's no reason *I* or anyone else should have to leave an area or stop what we're doing to accommodate that type of behavior. There's no reason I should have to take time out of my day to report them.

I'm more inclined to support features that will help upstanding community members avoid jerks, and the Legacy Ignore would be a huge thing in favor of that.

BRKMSN
03.25.2018 , 04:55 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
*I* have characters I don't want anyone to find because they're my "I want to play without being distracted" characters. I'm not worried about someone finding them through Legacy Ignore.

In order to find someone and connect them via Legacy Ignore, you'd still have to a) know the name of the second character b) have nobody else on your ignore list. If someone's obsessive and weird enough to sit there going through every character on the fleet or the /who list to try to find another character that might belong to a friend or enemy, they are likely going to figure it out another way anyway.

If someone's been a jerk to me on one character I don't want to inadvertently interact with them on another character. I don't want to be in any position to help them or talk to them or be in a guild with them. I don't want to end up in a flashpoint or another activity with them. Legacy Ignore facilitates that.

Running circles around someone when they are minding their own business and trying to get something done IS harassment. It's someone acting like a jerk and trying to call attention to themselves for their own kicks. There's no reason *I* or anyone else should have to leave an area or stop what we're doing to accommodate that type of behavior. There's no reason I should have to take time out of my day to report them.

I'm more inclined to support features that will help upstanding community members avoid jerks, and the Legacy Ignore would be a huge thing in favor of that.
*Correction* you would only need a name you suspect is somebody else and you can have 100 people on your ignore list and still do it. My earlier example was just removing variables.

If someone is running around my characters in circles, it doesn't do anything to my character and I'd have to go out of my way to be offended by it. For all that person knows, I'm afk.

I have a question for you. Are you the kind of person you would put on ignore?

BRKMSN
03.25.2018 , 05:28 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
BRKMSN;956576

What do you consider careless flirting? I had a situation once, when I was walking in the fleet to go get something, when someone came up to my character and pop up on her rear and then made a comment uncalled for. I didn't know the person, didn't speak to the person, I was only heading to the stronghold area to purchase something. That action and comment was on that person or are you going to say that I asked for that just because I was walking in the fleet.

This is why I don't approve of legacy based friendship without a pop up giving me the right to reject a friendship. Frankly if a person gets mad because I reject their friendship the problem is theirs. You don't just add someone to a friend's list without permission.

Why should I have to add each alt to my ignore list when I haven't done anything. Maybe if people would learn to be a little more respectful then we wouldn't have this problem but people tend to use the internet as an excuse for their behaviour.

Note: I normally don't add people to my ignore list unless they give me no choice.
The context of "careless flirting" was a reference to the stuff you see in guilds where some people flirt with other guildies even though in real life, they are committed to someone else in a relationship. More times than not, this situation ends ugly. IMO, people shouldn't go there --- especially if they have a real life spouse or significant other.

I'm opposed to legacy friending and friends via request systems in general. I don't like those for the same reasons you have concerns. I don't want to hurt feelings or have drama resulting from that system.

Nobody should even have to add a single person to an ignore list, but it's there. Arguing that we shouldn't have to spend 5 seconds doing it to an alt of someone we already ignored doesn't seem like a strong enough reason to compromise player anonymity, to me. We shouldn't have to wait 90 seconds to use /stuck again when we are legitimately stuck, but sometimes we have to deal with the occasional inconvenience because of the potential for abuse of the /stuck feature.

NikitaStormchild
03.29.2018 , 11:26 PM | #34
I´m all up for a legacy based friend / ignore list. In Guild Wars 1 the friendlist was account wide and i had no problem with it. And if the ignore would do the same then we wouldn´t have to bother with the same player we ignored on 1 toon, when he/she is using another.

AmiHale
03.30.2018 , 11:21 PM | #35
Another thing, if they're your friend, then they'll leave you alone during alone time. When I tell my friends I want alone time, they leave me alone. If they don't, they don't respect you so hence, not a friend. So there's that too. Just really bugging me that this turned into a huge debate with people repeating themselves.
Yes, it should only be consensual.
Yes, it should be ignore and friend, not just one.
So there's that.
The Forerunners Legacy, Star Forge
Knights and Warriors of the Gray Order
"We do what we must because no one else will."

BRKMSN
03.30.2018 , 11:39 PM | #36
It bothers you that your thread received attention and is getting bumped due to debating?

AmiHale
04.01.2018 , 01:32 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by BRKMSN View Post
It bothers you that your thread received attention and is getting bumped due to debating?
It bothers me that you guys are repeating yourselves over the same thing. You're all saying yes or no just in different words or the same details. Also, I might've been in a bad mood when I posted that. XD I lose my mouth filter then.
The Forerunners Legacy, Star Forge
Knights and Warriors of the Gray Order
"We do what we must because no one else will."

Tyr-Zyn
10.13.2019 , 03:31 PM | #38
after reading the replies, I can see how something like this could be used in the wrong way and could rob users of the possibilities to be invisible. At the same time, I do feel like some form of this would be a valuable addition to the game. Perhaps if it was something that you could toggle even after you agreed to it. It could be added to the preferences section under social or something.