Do Sin's actually use melee?

Malkosha

I've been reading about the different specs and combat scenarios and they seem to focus on using "spell" type effects like FL, shock, etc. You know, get 3 HD's and FL for example. From my reading, even the Madness spec, which has the highest Thrash damage, still seems to throw more "spells" than anything else.

Is there a spec that lets me melee with my Sin ... you know actually using that cool looking double baled lighsaber as a primary weapon ... instead of just using it to setup "spells"?

Perhaps I'm just wrong and need to be corrected? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

I've been reading about the different specs and combat scenarios and they seem to focus on using "spell" type effects like FL, shock, etc. You know, get 3 HD's and FL for example. From my reading, even the Madness spec, which has the highest Thrash damage, still seems to throw more "spells" than anything else.

Is there a spec that lets me melee with my Sin ... you know actually using that cool looking double baled lighsaber as a primary weapon ... instead of just using it to setup "spells"?

Perhaps I'm just wrong and need to be corrected? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

No, not really. Trash is used to setup spells for Darkness and I think Madness. In Deception you eventually use Voltiac Slash to setup shocks instead of Thrash, but Deception uses Maul (melee attack) as a primary attack when Duplicity procs. Saberstrike is a melee filler and Assassinate is only useable on targets below 30% hp. All the skill trees end up setting up abilities for force attacks and rely less on straight melee DPS.

Think more along the lines of Assassin being a melee range caster. If you want to focus more on melee skills you will have to go Operative for the rogue feel or Marauder for just straight melee. Even though you end up using a lot of force attacks you still have to melee enough to be considered a melee class.

Edited by DarkDruidSS

Darkness and Deception use a lot of saber moves. Deception doesn't use Force Lightning under normal circumstances. I didn't get around to playing Madness but from the tree it seems to be the one that is the most spell oriented.

Both for Darkness and Deception your melee strikes will influence how and when you use your spells. You will always use at least Shock.

Try for yourself if you haven't. You're giving the impression to have read the guides without playing the game as sin and seeing how that actually works out with first hand experience.

It's very fluid and if it's a concern you're going to be in melee range most of the time.

Anyway we're really an hybrid of physical and force damage. Like a spellblade, a mage warrior or a red mage for reference to other games.

Anyway we're really an hybrid of physical and force damage. Like a spellblade, a mage warrior or a red mage for reference to other games.

^ Win. That is a very nice way to put it. Just glad I don't have to deal with casting Refresh all the time in TOR.

Deception uses melee the most, followed by Darkness that eventually have more attack to get on CD.

Was deception, and recebtly respecced to Darkness. My rotation on deception was:

Spike->tumult->(voltaic slash x2->shock)x2->discharge (letting the stack of residual charge pile up to 4-5) rinse and repeat part 3 upward.

When availaible, Assassinate is always on CD. When you gy Exploit Weakness proc, Maul. First one normally comes in before or after the first voltaic slash.

With darkness (dark ward popped pre fight)

Shock->wither->discharge->thrash (optionnal. i do without energize often, but its nice still)->shock (3 stack of HD)->FL

discharge and wither should be always on CD, as well as Dark Ward. Once assassinate gets availaible, replace thrash by it to proc energize.

So as far as melee goes, had more action with Deception

Meleeing for any reason besides Assassinateis a good way to gimp yourself in PvP as Darkness because melee in thsi game gets pounded by all kinds of CCs + lag.

In PvE you do more meleeing as Darkness since mobs won't attempt to kite you or CC you because you got close to them, though even there it's mostly limited to just Saber Strikes because using Thrash reduces the number of HDs you can generate over a period of time due to limitation on Force regen.