I bought some race unlocks and then deleted the character I used to buy them

Petehe

Hey, as per the title I bought the Togruta race with cartel coins, my intention was to make a main Togruta character. So I just created a character, went into the Cartel store and bought the unlock, then deleted that character and tried to make a Togruta, but its now showing as locked and I can't create one.

Have I just basically deleted my ability to use the unlock I bought? Is there a way I can get those coins back since I never actually was able to make a character?

Thats my other question- if I buy anything with coins and then delete the character, do the account-wide things that I purchased on that character get deleted as well ?

(or should I log a ticket to have this sorted? if so how do I do that lol)

In no particular order;

1. Since purchasing a race unlock actually grants you a token that you use to unlock the race, if you deleted the character without using the token, you deleted the ability to unlock that race.

2. Nope, Cartel Coins are spent and lost.

3. Best you can do is drop to your knees before customer service and beg for mercy, forgiveness and them to restore the character you deleted with you claiming you did so by accident. Try emailing support@swtor.com, include your username, the character name and your request, be polite and they'll usually do their best to help.

4. If they've already been unlocked (like a race token being used or an item being equipped so that it shows in Collections as 'Unlocked For Character'), no, those remain. Unused token, items that haven't been added to Collections, etc. are lost though.

In no particular order;

1. Since purchasing a race unlock actually grants you a token that you use to unlock the race, if you deleted the character without using the token, you deleted the ability to unlock that race.

2. Nope, Cartel Coins are spent and lost.

3. Best you can do is drop to your knees before customer service and beg for mercy, forgiveness and them to restore the character you deleted with you claiming you did so by accident. Try emailing support@swtor.com, include your username, the character name and your request, be polite and they'll usually do their best to help.

4. If they've already been unlocked (like a race token being used or an item being equipped so that it shows in Collections as 'Unlocked For Character'), no, those remain. Unused token, items that haven't been added to Collections, etc. are lost though.

Damn, yeah unfortunately I can't even remember the name I made for that character :( and I 100% definitely did not click any token in my bag before deleting that character.

I have since learned as well that when you buy something from Cartel, you have to claim it before leaving the store- I probably didn't do that either.

Honestly...i want an offical investigation on how many people bought something on the cartel market an than deleted the character. I swear, i saw more posts like this on here and on reddit, than i ever saw „look, here is my bounty hunter“ since the mandalorian series started. :)

Man, I would be very surprised if I was alone in this. It'd be nice if I could have accessed the cartel store BEFORE creating a character. Its a bit confusing when you log in for the first time ever, see a list of races that are locked behind cartel currency, knowing that I HAVE some coins because I paid for them, but I can't do the purchase thing until creating a character that I know I'm not going to continue playing, just to use the store.. I'm used to WoW where you buy something from the cash store and it goes in the mailbox of every character you create from then forward.

Anyway. its done now. was 300 coins.. it sucks but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ what can ya do (I mean, I will probably email support and ask nicely for assistance but I am not confident seeing as how I can't even remember the name of the character I created).

Man, I would be very surprised if I was alone in this. It'd be nice if I could have accessed the cartel store BEFORE creating a character. Its a bit confusing when you log in for the first time ever, see a list of races that are locked behind cartel currency, knowing that I HAVE some coins because I paid for them, but I can't do the purchase thing until creating a character that I know I'm not going to continue playing, just to use the store.. I'm used to WoW where you buy something from the cash store and it goes in the mailbox of every character you create from then forward.

Anyway. its done now. was 300 coins.. it sucks but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ what can ya do (I mean, I will probably email support and ask nicely for assistance but I am not confident seeing as how I can't even remember the name of the character I created).

You're not alone in this. Plenty of people have done *exactly* the same thing you did, and come on the forums asking for help. And for what it's worth, while I haven't done this specific thing, I have deleted characters I shouldn't have deleted:

* One level 75 that I deleted by selecting her, then thinking I should delete that other one, but I didn't select the other before pressing Delete and typing "delete" in the box...

* One Guild Wars 2 character who had Gem Store items (gathering tools) equipped.

In your case it's a little harder than normal, but, since you created and deleted the character recently, you stand a reasonable chance of getting it back.

Email the support address support@swtor.com and ask (politely)(1) to have the character you recently created and deleted restored. Tell them what you do remember, as much as possible of:

* Your account name

* The class, species, and sex of the character you created

* The approximate date and time (including time zone) when you created and deleted the character.

* Approximately what you called the character.

Afterwards, go to the Suggestion Box forum http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=349 and add a couple of suggestions:

* A self-service button to restore a character deleted in the previous 24 hours. (Runes of Magic already has this. It's good.)

* Changing the Cartel Market so that the Unclaimed Items area is shared across the whole legacy. That way, someone who does what you did can simply create another character and claim the token over there.

(1) I'm not saying you're a naturally rude person, but people occasionally post complaints about bad customer service where it turns out they were catastrophically rude and insulting in their *initial* requests. Needless to say, it usually goes downhill from there.

I often wonder why people are so in a hurry to delete characters for no reason. It's not as though you only have one or two character slots. 🤔

Take this case for example. The OP creates a character, then buys stuff from the CM and then immediately deletes the character. Why the deletion? Even if the character is totally random and not something you would even play, it can still be used as a storage mule until such time as you actually 'need' another character slot. Plus you can change the characters features through the Appearance Modification Station, including changing it to a Togruta.

But, this is just random thoughts - I realize how confusing some parts of SWTOR (or any game) can be. 😏

I often wonder why people are so in a hurry to delete characters for no reason. It's not as though you only have one or two character slots. 🤔

Take this case for example. The OP creates a character, then buys stuff from the CM and then immediately deletes the character. Why the deletion? Even if the character is totally random and not something you would even play, it can still be used as a storage mule until such time as you actually 'need' another character slot. Plus you can change the characters features through the Appearance Modification Station, including changing it to a Togruta.

But, this is just random thoughts - I realize how confusing some parts of SWTOR (or any game) can be. 😏

It might have been his last spot....but even so, why create a char, just to buy a token, then delete...surely you could have bought the token on any char?

Unless they created the char, realised they had enough for the unlock, bought it, decided to delete the newest char, to recreate it as a tog.....

Again, just idle thoughts of of a rambling old fart.....lol

Edited by DarkTergon

Damn, yeah unfortunately I can't even remember the name I made for that character :( and I 100% definitely did not click any token in my bag before deleting that character.

I have since learned as well that when you buy something from Cartel, you have to claim it before leaving the store- I probably didn't do that either.

In theory if you logged into the game with the character, it should have created a GUIState file under its name, not sure if that is deleted when a character is deleted too.

With WIN7 you can find those files C:/user/your_username/AppData/Local/SWTOR/swtor/settings

Or simply use the search to look for files named like this: he4000_Tianna_PlayerGUIState, the first part is for the server, Tulak Hord in this case, Tianna the charactername.

Hope you find the name there and manage to get the character restored.

Edited by Khaleijo

In theory if you logged into the game with the character, it should have created a GUIState file under its name, not sure if that is deleted when a character is deleted too.

I just checked. Those files are not deleted when the character is deleted. I have several files left over from deleted characters. If you *rename* a character, the file for the character's old name continues to exist, and the game creates a new one for the new name.

With WIN7 you can find those files C:/user/your_username/AppData/Local/SWTOR/swtor/settings

Same place on Windows 10.

Or simply use the search to look for files named like this: he4000_Tianna_PlayerGUIState, the first part is for the server, Tulak Hord in this case, Tianna the charactername.

Hope you find the name there and manage to get the character restored.

Do the search for *PlayerGUIState* (They actually have a .ini extension...)

Edited by SteveTheCynic

* Changing the Cartel Market so that the Unclaimed Items area is shared across the whole legacy. That way, someone who does what you did can simply create another character and claim the token over there.

It actually worked that way, long, long, ago...

I may be mis-remembering, but I believe you could even purchase an item with one character and then "claim" it with a character on a different server, on the same account....

Dunno why they changed it.