The *unofficial* Oceanic servers.

Kudaran

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the fact that established North American Servers The Harbinger and Swiftsure, have been coined the term "unofficial oceanic servers". What this leads to is severe overcrowding on those servers because you have not only North American Players, but also multiple other *ENTIRE* countries on the same server. I logged in at 3:00am CST today, and I had a queue. It really shouldn't work like that.

What I think should happen is BW should allow North American guilds the option to transfer their guild to a new server, and make the current unofficial servers the official ones. Or just make a new server for the Oceanic players and transfer their guilds over.

And before you start flaming about me being a selfish American, and how I only care about myself, the Aussies are going through queue too. I'm sure they're not very happy either.

Edited by Kudaran

HAHAH Stupid American. 3am CST is 8pm for most of the Aussie players, IE PEAK TIME. That's when every man and his dog jump online to play.

I wasn't aware wallabies could jump online to play. Thanks for clarifying this as our American dogs are incapable of such amazing feats.

I wonder if this is a problem just for early access.

The players who are currently playing (early access) are all people who pre ordered early. Mostly that means experienced mmo players who have already tried to organize themselves and care about things like forming alliances before playing, etc. It's not exactly a 'representative' cross section of the player community later in the game.

For a new player who doesn't care too much about what server they go on, (i.e. no previous guild attachments), they may just pick a random US server. If they log on and say, swiftsure has a queue, they aren't going to pick that. I've played MMOs where they list the servers for new players in increasing population, most new people who are clueless will pick the first correct (i.e. PVE or PVP) server on the list, which helps balance numbers a lot.

Further more, new casual Oceanic players may not roll on the unofficial oceanic servers. The only people who do this are those who were already part of the community / attached to oceanic guilds. And once they've rolled, well there's really not a HUGE downside for being an oceanic player on a server full of US. You'll make friend with people who's play hours suite you (e.g. late night for you vs. afternoon for them), and after you have friends and possibly a guild, there's just no incentive to move.

If anything, I'd prefer the oceanic servers be kept unofficial (i.e. no formal designation), until bioware fully releases the game here and makes dedicated oceanic servers (if that happens, I sure hope they'll give people transfers)

I'm happy that the server is full.

If you want to avoid queues just reroll on a different server. You've only been in for a max of 3 days so it's not like you lose much.

Thats downright ignorant.

Yes, i completely realise that EGA players have "Brought it upon themselves" by playing early BUT.

3 days, so you dont lose much?

Dont get me wrong, im not concerned about the levels.

What annoys me is i met a few great people, created a guild and because it was relatively quiet i know mostly everyone that got EGA the last couple of days.

I enjoy the community in my server and dont wish to go to a server i dont know...

Thats just my 2 cents.

Queues were to be expected, they're frustrating but not game breaking.

The oceanic guilds have been been organising for a very long time and it was agreed that the servers (PvP/PvE) that most of them ended up on would be the "unofficial oceanic servers". They turned out to be Swiftsure and Harbinger. Bioware chose them, not us.

The server information has already been spread around on countless websites, it's not a simply matter of just moving us now. If you're not happy with the wait then consider another server, don't just blame us because we were being prepared.

Sorry you found a great new MMO to be too FULL for you to play. Well, so did us Aussies. Vent at BW for not launching in Oceania and providing us with dedicated servers. Of course Australians would want to stick together with their own time-zone related communities in the same way the millions of US customers will.

You sound like a racist (racism isn't just the colour of your skin) telling us to get back to our own country.

The big problem for oceania players is ghost towns when its our peak. Coming from the other Blizzard MMO that doesnt get mentioned, Proudmoore was the unofficial Oceania server. It wasnt till 2-3 years later that there were official Oceania servers and up until that time the oceania players were refugees. People were all over the place and unless you were on Proudmoore or Blackrock it was a real pain to get into Raids as nothing was scheduled for your time. Even if you could get a raid at your time on your own server most of your guild members did the earlier raid as they were americans. On my current server there are two oceania guilds left as people didn't want to move at the end to oceania servers. Our problem I know but frustrating when you are looking to recruit.

By having an unofficial Oceania server it only impacts US players at launch when *everyone has quit their day job to be on as much as possible*. We apologise that our plan to play on an american server when most american players are in bed is an issue currently but In a few weeks when things settle down you wont even notice us.

Darth Adder

Guild Master of "The Usual Suspects" an Oceanic guild moved to be with the community on The Harbinger

Edited by DarthAdder

I'm speaking as an Oceanic-based player here, who's not rolling his main character on Harbinger, Swiftsure, or any of those servers. Two reasons:

1. They're getting too damn full, two hour queues? What the hell?

2. I have US friends rolling on other servers.

The latter point illustrates the case another poster made - that once you make friends online, you have incentive to stick with those friends rather than anyone else.

BUT.

My guild, such as it is, is small. Tiny even. And there's like two of us in Oceania, so at the same time I know bloody well I'm doing myself a disservice by rolling on somewhere that doesn't have a high Oceanic population.

As it stands, I know probably gonna have to leave an alt on Harbinger or something, unless off-peak activity on my 'primary' servers ends up surprising me. I'm pessimistic. I'm used to seeing empty PvP areas/queues and the like.

And as someone else just said - let's not even talk about trying to get a raid or something on a US server during Oceanic hours. Unless the bar for entry to Operations is set really low, that's not gonna happen.

Edited by Acyl

If BW was assigning all the Oceania guilds to one or two servers, it would have been nice for them to put a note on there. I just picked Harbinger because it was the first West Coast server named after something from KotOR2 I saw, and I'm kind of bummed at being on one of the two servers that has queues when I get off work at night.

I went onto JJT since it is another server with several Australian guilds on it but isn't as populated as Harbinger, at most I only had a 10 minute queue, other times while Harbinger was at full, it seemed to be at just 'very heavy' for a majority of the time excluding peak hours.

I feel your frustrations.

Coming from another well known mmo where originally there were only 'unofficial' oceanic realms, it was a rather huge adjustment to cope with the ridiculous queues, not only during my peak, but during the peak time of America as well.

Often I would find myself getting home from work at 5pm, logging into a 3000+ queue and not getting in until after 8pm.

Rather than get mad at this *wasted* time. I used it to watch tv/go for a run/walk the dog/spend time with loved ones/cook and eat dinner ect.

Once I got in, I was treated with an online version of a 24/7 city. No matter what time of day I log in, there would always be plenty of people to raid/pvp/quest or do whatever I want.

Meaning that the few hours I was able to play everyday, were always spent doing something I enjoyed and not just idling in town waiting for people to log in.

If Bioware had launched SWTOR simultaneously in Oceanic regions and provided oceanic branded servers and/or locally hosted servers. Yes I would have used them.

In 6/12/whatever months time when it finally does release officially to oceanic regions, if we do get our own servers, I will be staying on my 24/7 queue server for the round the clock atmosphere. Nothing beats it.

SUPER frustrating to have been assigned Harbinger. Our guilds (light/dark both) were assigned to this server by chance, and our guildies had 1hr+ wait times.

Would have been nice if a server that was added AFTER the initial round of guilds were assigned had been picked for unofficial oceanic whatnot.

SUPER frustrating to have been assigned Harbinger. Our guilds (light/dark both) were assigned to this server by chance, and our guildies had 1hr+ wait times.

Would have been nice if a server that was added AFTER the initial round of guilds were assigned had been picked for unofficial oceanic whatnot.

Thats how they figured out which server they wanted to be Oceanic.

All the Oceanic guilds got together and dasiy chained their guilds to try and all land on one server. Guess which server they landed on.

http://www.remnantsgaming.com/daisychain

https://twitter.com/#!/OceanicPvP

With no server list they used what method was available, pre-guild launching.

Now I get the impression Bioware is a reasonable company, if you present your requests in a mature way they are considered.

They should do what took Bilzzard (1 to 3 years!?) to do. Add a little tab next to Europe called, Oceanic and put some servers on that list.

Server PHYSICAL location really doesn't effect us, because we have brilliant latency, we don't need servers in our country's just labels.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the fact that established North American Servers The Harbinger and Swiftsure, have been coined the term "unofficial oceanic servers". What this leads to is severe overcrowding on those servers because you have not only North American Players, but also multiple other *ENTIRE* countries on the same server. I logged in at 3:00am CST today, and I had a queue. It really shouldn't work like that.

What I think should happen is BW should allow North American guilds the option to transfer their guild to a new server, and make the current unofficial servers the official ones. Or just make a new server for the Oceanic players and transfer their guilds over.

And before you start flaming about me being a selfish American, and how I only care about myself, the Aussies are going through queue too. I'm sure they're not very happy either.

Solution: Get off our server if you aren't an Aussie.

Once all the dust settles down and new servers are brought up it would be nice if BW allowed free 'Guild with all members' transfers to other servers.

It would help with keeping Oceanic players (American but in Korea so counting myself part of that community) together and allowing US based player guilds to move to another server.

Especially since Swiftsure, Harbinger, and Jekk'Jekk Tarr have already been 'unoffically' announced Oceanic and where we want to be. :D

At least be thankful that as a US based player you don't have to endure primetime downtimes like we do.

All servers available at the start of early access had guilds assigned to them. The Oceanic players weren't going to just sit around waiting for Bioware to open up a new shard and then start playing.

The Oceanic players would have loved for Bioware to set aside a shard specificly for them, but we don't always get what we want.

Alot of the OCAU forum users are picking Wound in the Force as their secondary PVP server.

Currently i've bumped into easily over 100 aussie's.

When i first logged on and saw i was 800 in queue that was it for me. No way im going back to frost/khaz'goroth days of having to use logmein to log me into WoW so by the time i got home i was just about ready to login.

This game is great and i will more than likely reroll once the Oceanic servers get released... but until then i actually do want to login and not have to wait 15-30 minutes.

Sorry you found a great new MMO to be too FULL for you to play. Well, so did us Aussies. Vent at BW for not launching in Oceania and providing us with dedicated servers. Of course Australians would want to stick together with their own time-zone related communities in the same way the millions of US customers will.

You sound like a racist (racism isn't just the colour of your skin) telling us to get back to our own country.

That isn't what I was implying at all, no need to get so butt-hurt over it. I'm not telling you to "go back to your country", I'm saying you guys deserve your own servers.

It can't be too hard to establish another server and label it Oceanic. One of us has to leave the current servers, because unless either of us do, it's gonna be 45 minute queues 24/7.

HAHAH Stupid American. 3am CST is 8pm for most of the Aussie players, IE PEAK TIME. That's when every man and his dog jump online to play.

Oh, no, I understood that it was your peak times. But then again, you Aussies whine about the queue times during *OUR* peak hours. I've seen it in general since I got into the EGA. "Stupid americans" aren't the only ones complaining about it. So instead of attacking me, why don't you do... I dunno, something constructive?

Solution: Get off our server if you aren't an Aussie.

That's totally not an arrogant response. Regardless, I wouldn't mind doign this if I didn't have an entire guild that would need to transfer over too, but unless bioWare does something about that, it ain't going to happen.

Edited by Kudaran