Serious question about crafting in 6.0

TrixxieTriss

Will we be able to get all crafting mats without having to do hard content?

Ie, will highend mats be gated behind OPs or Ranked pvp as they currently are.

Also, will Augments still be a thing or will they end up being obsolete for pvp.

Edited by EricMusco

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will we be able to get all crafting mats without having to do hard content?

Ie, will highend mats be gated behind OPs or Ranked pvp as they currently are.

Also, will Augments still be a thing or will they end up being obsolete for pvp.

Why would à crafter needs a bis gear.

Player base 1 makes the ops group, leading 8M, studying tactics, dealing with drama, wipes constantly,losing money, making real life sacrifice, missing real life events gets BiS gear.

Player base number 2, use a macro that he/she didn't even code, pc running around 7/24,make billions, gets BiS gear, wants to sell BiS gear to make more billions. 🤯🤯🤯

Seriously I'm all up for the giving crafters to crafter gear. But that entitlement must stop.

(not talking about you trixxe personally, but this is my enough is enough post)

Player base 1 makes the ops group, leading 8M, studying tactics, dealing with drama, wipes constantly,losing money, making real life sacrifice, missing real life events gets BiS gear.

Player base number 2, use a macro that he/she didn't even code, pc running around 7/24,make billions, gets BiS gear, wants to sell BiS gear to make more billions. 🤯🤯🤯

Seriously I'm all up for the giving crafters to crafter gear. But that entitlement must stop.

You completely miss the whole point of “playing the way you want” and crafting.

Some people just login to craft and play the GTN. They even acknowledged this in the stream. So for crafters to be able to play as they want, they will need a way to obtain those mats outside of operations and ranked pvp.

And no, crafters will not be able to make BiS gear. Bioware have already said that. So your argument that crafters feel entitled is flawed.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I'm hoping the primary way of getting rare mats will be galactic renown since it encompasses so many playstyles.

Not a bad idea, but I would suggest it as a supplemental way to get them. The same as it will be a supplemental way to gear.

Another question.

While the guys are mucking around to expand crafting. Do you think they could add some new crafting dyes with some of the newer colours found on certain Armor. Maybe make some of them textured, mat or reflective?

Edited by TrixxieTriss

It is long past time Crafting was given some love in SWTOR.

For far too long Crafting has been all but useless, and really nothing more than an Inventory Hog.

Would love to see some form of Crafting Weekly / Daily so we can save up Crafting Tokens to buy Rare Deco Patterns for example. Something that avoids the utter stupidity of the "Prefab" components - which are an anachronism anyway given other changes to Crafting, and are only there to increase the grind.

All The Best

Why does a NimOPs player?

They get the BiS reward for COMPLETING the hardest content, so it is clear they don't NEED it either.

All The Best

Yes kappa complete gods nim timed without mh's and offhands

To trixie, play your ways it's just like 'Choices matter'. Not realistic, not sustainable, not doable. Of course in theory you can wait for the drop from crates, ré roll, bla bla bla, but it would take really really really long time as it should.

Harder group content should and hopefully will pay off. Give the bots non combat gear with crafting bonuses so they can bot more efficiently

Edited by lord-angelus

Well, I'll pitch in to then :D

I've been a crafter in both SW games and I still am in here.

As it stands today crafting is all but totally useless, We can't craft armour, weapons, relics....... and more since what we can do it sub par with what Ossus, MM, Ops, has to offer and the question is rather simple..... WHY??

What does it change is every single one in this game have the best there is, none what so ever.

No one NEEDS the best as been said before here and still is said.

Having Ops as a faster way to get the best or items to make the best IE, Amp's or such post 6.0 is fine.

As long as there other means to get the same altho it might take longer to get it.

Having crafters post 6.0 not to be able to make modded shells, again WHY?. What does it hurt anyone if we could ?.

Let crafters make the SAME as you can get anywhere in the game, just add a part that's needed to make them that might need some time to get, but NOT to long time and NOT gated behind ANYTHING.

That we can craft the same as a NiM ops would drop IE shell vise don't hurt anyone what so ever, no one NEEDS the best there is, you might WANT it, but that's one thing need is a totallt different thing.

Considering how simple crafting is in here if you knew how it was back in the old SW, there what you used DID matter, so back then not all was the same, sadly in here we all are, even tho you wouldent even add crafting from the start, I know, I've been around here since 2009 when we told you to add crafting in the first place.

Since you self said, pvp will bolster to max, so most are the same, you can tweak your gear in there with some add-ons but then it's about SKILLS, as it should be, again, why gate be best or why lock crafters from modded shells?.

Even if 99% of the player base would bave "BiS" gear, not all will do Ops, or NiM or MM, since they might not want too.

As it stands today alot of times IF ppl asking for others to join in NiM there IS a gated wall where they say, you NEED this gear and KNOW how to do it, that exclude alot of ppl that might want to do it.

So let crafters make modded shells, the best ones, add some mat that you need that you 1. buy, 2. loot.

NOT gated loot tho.

Well, I'll pitch in to then :D

I've been a crafter in both SW games and I still am in here.

As it stands today crafting is all but totally useless, We can't craft armour, weapons, relics....... and more since what we can do it sub par with what Ossus, MM, Ops, has to offer and the question is rather simple..... WHY??

What does it change is every single one in this game have the best there is, none what so ever.

No one NEEDS the best as been said before here and still is said.

Having Ops as a faster way to get the best or items to make the best IE, Amp's or such post 6.0 is fine.

As long as there other means to get the same altho it might take longer to get it.

Having crafters post 6.0 not to be able to make modded shells, again WHY?. What does it hurt anyone if we could ?.

Let crafters make the SAME as you can get anywhere in the game, just add a part that's needed to make them that might need some time to get, but NOT to long time and NOT gated behind ANYTHING.

That we can craft the same as a NiM ops would drop IE shell vise don't hurt anyone what so ever, no one NEEDS the best there is, you might WANT it, but that's one thing need is a totallt different thing.

Considering how simple crafting is in here if you knew how it was back in the old SW, there what you used DID matter, so back then not all was the same, sadly in here we all are, even tho you wouldent even add crafting from the start, I know, I've been around here since 2009 when we told you to add crafting in the first place.

Since you self said, pvp will bolster to max, so most are the same, you can tweak your gear in there with some add-ons but then it's about SKILLS, as it should be, again, why gate be best or why lock crafters from modded shells?.

Even if 99% of the player base would bave "BiS" gear, not all will do Ops, or NiM or MM, since they might not want too.

As it stands today alot of times IF ppl asking for others to join in NiM there IS a gated wall where they say, you NEED this gear and KNOW how to do it, that exclude alot of ppl that might want to do it.

So let crafters make modded shells, the best ones, add some mat that you need that you 1. buy, 2. loot.

NOT gated loot tho.

It's really clear that you have never raided before, have 0 clue to do what it takes to be NiM raider. You want to simple answer? Cause its unfair. People in this game has 50 character, if you had your way, with a simple mouse macro, (not even a script) I can make my main BiS in one night, and maybe even shorter depending on required number of mats. . The game has 0 macro detection system implemented, and is not possible to implement a good one without this engine.that's why all the crafting rewards are gone now, same as the pve space Missons. Now you want a BiS, moddable gear. Sorry but no, it's not going to happen. Crafting should be remove all together cause this bots breaking econom.

Like seriously what are you doing with BiS gear? If you identify yourself as crafter at max what you are doing is story fp's and some pvp? Bolsters got you so you don't need anything. You just want to sell and make billions doing it. Not going to happen

It's really clear that you have never raided before, have 0 clue to do what it takes to be NiM raider. You want to simple answer? Cause its unfair. People in this game has 50 character, if you had your way, with a simple mouse macro, (not even a script) I can make my main BiS in one night, and maybe even shorter depending on required number of mats. . The game has 0 macro detection system implemented, and is not possible to implement a good one without this engine.that's why all the crafting rewards are gone now, same as the pve space Missons. Now you want a BiS, moddable gear. Sorry but no, it's not going to happen. Crafting should be remove all together cause this bots breaking econom.

Like seriously what are you doing with BiS gear? If you identify yourself as crafter at max what you are doing is story fp's and some pvp? Bolsters got you so you don't need anything. You just want to sell and make billions doing it. Not going to happen

First of all I have raided in the past, as for char, I have close to 40 of them so your point in that regard is what ?.

I'm sure you can "cheat" in this game too, I for one don't have macro's, not even key binds then I play.

The ONLY thing that breaks the economy as you put it IS the fact the high end items ARE RARE.

The more "high" end gear the cheaper they become rather simple really.

No I don't want BiS, fun to have on a char or two perhaps but what does it matter, does that hurt you in some way ?.

No matter what game you play it should be about the skill of the player, NOT the gear you are using.

As for me being a crafter, yes I can on a few char.

I fail to see why a select few should have the best, why ?.

A long long time ago in another SW game we had cities, once we was attacked by other players, I was mainly a crafter back then too, with 2 robotic arms and most in crafting, I picked up a weapon to go out and help my fellow guild defend the city, the guild leader came over and asked me, what are you doing, I'm here to help, he said, you will die, I said, I know I will, that don't matter I live here too. so Gear isen't the important thing, what you do with it is, and that you have fun.

In there when you died, you had decay on your gear, that was a way to make sure the economy worked, and we needed each other, in here that don't work like that.

Still, you don't NEED BiS gear, no matter what you do in the game, and why should only those that do NiM have the best ?, as a reward for what ? doing the hardest content in the game, that's a poor reason if any.

So then I should have items that you "NEVER" can get since I have 35+ lvl 70 char, alot of maxed out crafters.

What do I get for MY hard work ?. Nothing........

As for crafting should be removed, that you could said back in 2009!!!!! then we had that talk with the devs.

Since from the start there where no crafting in this game, WE made them add it too it.

Last, IF you have a problem with crafting is in the game, you have always the option to find another game of your choice,

Thank you.

As it stands today crafting is all but totally useless, We can't craft armour, weapons, relics....

You do know that you can craft all 258 armor WITH set bonuses on them, weapons, implants, earpieces, relics each component like armoring's mods, enhancements, barrels, hilts. You can also craft the lettered A and B mods ( which are only obtainable by crafting).

The only thing that I was not able to figure out was how to craft the different variations of the enhancements. I spent about 1.6 billion trying to test and figure it out with no success.

Since you can literally craft all the 258 gear in the game, I'm confused on how you find crafting to be useless in the game today.

You do know that you can craft all 258 armor WITH set bonuses on them, weapons, implants, earpieces, relics each component like armoring's mods, enhancements, barrels, hilts. You can also craft the lettered A and B mods ( which are only obtainable by crafting).

The only thing that I was not able to figure out was how to craft the different variations of the enhancements. I spent about 1.6 billion trying to test and figure it out with no success.

Since you can literally craft all the 258 gear in the game, I'm confused on how you find crafting to be useless in the game today.

Well. altho I've been around since the Beta of this game in here I've never been much to make money :D

While what you say is true, the fact is as you said, 1.6 Billion used up, and to craft 258 you need mats that's gated too and most can't go down that path :D

I've always crafted for the fun of doing it, never to make my self rich in doing so.

Sure I became rich filthy so in the other SW game, but that was never the end game.

For me the end game is to make the best, to as many as possible, so we all get to enjoy what we like to do.

I remember back in the old days, you got 2500 cr and a melon and droped on a planet.

when I made my first sale of a mouse droid for 5000 cr I was happy, I was up in flames then I made 50.000cr.

But..... when you had like me, Billions and Billions and ALL you ever could want in there, the FUN was all but lost.

So for me back then and here it's about the crafting, not the money and to see ppl happy and use what you made.

Difference is, back then you could "tag" your items so ppl knew who made it, here sadly you can't.

Still, it's about the crafting in it self, not how much money you have, and for a player like me that's been around this long, I'm almost as poor as a church rat compared to some, sure I have some millions, but not even remotely close to what you spent so far. To me it's the fun to get the mats, made new items, sell them cheap so more can get them.

I never understood the need to make as much money as you can, to me that takes the fun out of it.

As for me, I had it ALL, every single rare item there was to have, even the first year japanese painting, Mando armour and more and Billion upon Billions in the banks, for what....... what have you then to strive for..... Nothing what so ever.

The first 5000 is fun, really fun, you made something someone wanted, the next Billion is just that, a drop in the bucket :D

Each to there own I guess, but for me, I want the ability to make the best, for as many as I can and enjoy doing it.

Is that to much to ask for ? :)

Adding my $0.02. As a long-time crafter (for a couple years, I did nothing but craft -- no other content at all), I can say that I'm happy to see crafting is back in focus. It's probably my single favorite thing in the game when it's viable (and it has been gutted majorly over the years). But for crafting to be successful and viable as a genuine gameplay alternative activity -- one that can keep players occupied for long periods of time, it needs three basic things:

1. Crafting cannot require any other advanced gameplay (e.g. PvP, Ops, etc.) to be viable - crafters need to be able to obtain mats by doing "regular" game activities, GTN, trading, etc.
  2. Crafting must otherwise require substantial non-gameplay time and resources, making it truly an "alternative" - crafting as a gameplay alternative (I recognize for some like me it is the gameplay) has to require time and resources that someone dedicated to Ops, ranked PvP, HM FPs, etc. wouldn't/couldn't have the time to do. Back in the day, for example, this would require hours and hours of RE'ing for schematics (even before the 60% RNG guarantee). It was painful, but when you got a the rare purple schematic, it was golden. It also requires all the crafting skills on one account (needing multiple toons). No one doing hard core activities has that kind of time, or at least they have to make some choices. Crafting as a concurrent "side-activity" to hardcore play is the death of crafting--it must be an alternative.
  3. Crafting must be able to offer the "best," i.e. highly-desirable, items in the game - again, one of the things that kills crafters is when our items aren't desirable. This doesn't per see mean BiS (though in the new horizontal system it does mean highest-tier), but crafted items have to be desirable by the players who don't have the time (see point #2) to craft. If not, again, it may as well not be in game.

There are other nice-to-have things as well (for example, restoring gear value to leveling) but the three above are necessary conditions without which will make crafting nothing more than an annoying side activity....

Yes kappa complete gods nim timed without mh's and offhands

To trixie, play your ways it's just like 'Choices matter'. Not realistic, not sustainable, not doable. Of course in theory you can wait for the drop from crates, ré roll, bla bla bla, but it would take really really really long time as it should.

Harder group content should and hopefully will pay off. Give the bots non combat gear with crafting bonuses so they can bot more efficiently

You don’t seem to grasp the situation. It’s not about what is craftable, it’s where you get the mats to craft with.

I honestly could not care less if I can’t craft BiS and I personally don’t think crafting should give you the BiS schematic from a trainer. You should need to reverse engineer to get a BiS schematic.

The issue at hand is the mats. We should not have to do NiM ops or any ops or ranked pvp to be able to get the mats to craft. That is NOT “play your way”, which Bioware have clearly stated is their goal with 6.0

The challenge should be getting the schematic, not getting the mats. Crafters can still get the schematic faster if they do the hard mode content and farm it through NiM ops or ranked. But they would still have a path to eventually get it by gearing to BiS through other means. Only it would take much longer.

The only people I know of that will get upset by allowing crafters to have access to mats outside of gated content are the NiM OPs & Ranked crafters who currently have the market cornered because they also play that hard content.

If we follow your logic, you should get the best gear and the best mats to make the best gear because you do NiM OPs.

But if you are already doing NiM OPs, you will be getting that gear fast anyway. So why do you need the mats too? Except to line your pockets. It makes zero sense to gate those mats behind content like that because it helps no one but those few people who play OPs and they don’t even need to craft the gear because they get it as drop.

All people who play the game to craft, don’t all play NiM or ranked. Bioware have clearly stated in the stream that they “know” some people just want to login and craft and that’s it. Bioware have also promoted 6.0 as “play the game your way”. So for dedicated crafters to “play their way”, they will need access to those mats outside of gated content.

Anything less means it’s NOT “play it your way”

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Adding my $0.02. As a long-time crafter (for a couple years, I did nothing but craft -- no other content at all), I can say that I'm happy to see crafting is back in focus. It's probably my single favorite thing in the game when it's viable (and it has been gutted majorly over the years). But for crafting to be successful and viable as a genuine gameplay alternative activity -- one that can keep players occupied for long periods of time, it needs three basic things:

1. Crafting cannot require any other advanced gameplay (e.g. PvP, Ops, etc.) to be viable - crafters need to be able to obtain mats by doing "regular" game activities, GTN, trading, etc.
  2. Crafting must otherwise require substantial non-gameplay time and resources, making it truly an "alternative" - crafting as a gameplay alternative (I recognize for some like me it is the gameplay) has to require time and resources that someone dedicated to Ops, ranked PvP, HM FPs, etc. wouldn't/couldn't have the time to do. Back in the day, for example, this would require hours and hours of RE'ing for schematics (even before the 60% RNG guarantee). It was painful, but when you got a the rare purple schematic, it was golden. It also requires all the crafting skills on one account (needing multiple toons). No one doing hard core activities has that kind of time, or at least they have to make some choices. Crafting as a concurrent "side-activity" to hardcore play is the death of crafting--it must be an alternative.
  3. Crafting must be able to offer the "best," i.e. highly-desirable, items in the game - again, one of the things that kills crafters is when our items aren't desirable. This doesn't per see mean BiS (though in the new horizontal system it does mean highest-tier), but crafted items have to be desirable by the players who don't have the time (see point #2) to craft. If not, again, it may as well not be in game.

There are other nice-to-have things as well (for example, restoring gear value to leveling) but the three above are necessary conditions without which will make crafting nothing more than an annoying side activity....

Well said. It’s good to know another long time crafter understands how it’s supposed to work and how it used to work.

If you want to seriously craft, it’s very time consuming and you need every single profession, which requires six Alts. One for each profession and also dedicated farming Alts too.

There are also mats you can only get from sending companions on missions. Which are very time consuming because you have to continuously send them or you don’t get enough mats to craft more than one thing at a time.

Then you have to actually craft the items and that is time consuming,

People who don’t craft or craft everything, probably don’t even realise that 5 of the gathering professions can only get the mats from spending credits to send companions off to farm them.

It also helps to have your companions as high as you can get them and that takes a lot of time to just give them gifts and it’s costs $4,412,200 if you do it the cheapest way, which requires giving 11409 gifts. Anyone whose ever done it solely this way will tell you it takes many, many hours and it’s boring and you get sore hands. And that is even after spending over a few mill to speed it up and also open up the boosters for companion gifts.

Or you can do it the fast way and it costs you close to $38,750,000 which is only 165 gifts.

Either way it either costs a lot in credits to set up or half a day to give gifts. And that is per Companion.

(Feel free to check the maths http://dulfy.net/2015/10/21/swtor-fallen-empire-companion-influences-guide/)

* You can only get slicing mats from missions. (You can’t farm them. All you get are small credit boxes which aren’t worth anyone’s time to farm). Also just about every highend crafted item requires slicing mats as well as 3 others and you can only have 3 professions per Alt. So you also need dedicated farming Alts too.

* You can only get underworld mats from missions.

* You can only get investigation mats from missions

* You can only get Diplomacy mats from missions

* You can only get treasure Hunting mats from missions.

Yes, you can farm the other mats like scavenging, Bio and archaeology, but they take time and effort too.

Anyone who crafts will know how much longer it takes to farm lvl 10 mats compared to lvl 9 or lvl 8.

Anyone who crafts knows how time consuming it is to farm lvl 5 - lvl 7 mats. Especially archaeology ones because you can’t farm mobs to get those.

Crafting is a very time consuming part of the game and anyone serious about it has 6-12 crafters and 6+ dedicated farmers. They will also have 8 comps per Alt at lvl 50 influence (or affection).

That is weeks or even months of excessively boring work just to set up and 100’s of millions of credits before you even start crafting seriously.

People who seriously craft as their main play type, probably spend more time and I dare say more credits in the game than people who play NiM OPs or Ranked pvp because those activities are time limited based on other people and primetime (which is constantly getting shorter and shorter or it’s full of wintraders, so people have to queue dodge).

And that’s another point. Those “hard mats” that are gated in Ranked pvp aren’t “hard to get”. All you need to do is put in some time to farm them. You don’t need to win. You can go in and throw every other match or get people to carry you and still get the mats or you can wintrade with people. So I don’t see why that should be a way to farm when Bioware could just as easily make a way out side of Ranked pvp that is equally time consuming and crafters can gather them.

All that does is ruin ranked pvpers experience and that should not happen in a competitive environment.

What we need is a way to gather mats outside of gated content. The end !!

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I just dabble in crafting, but I'd also like to know if mats are going to be gated behind ops. I haven't bothered making anything new in years because the current crafting system is very casual unfriendly. That makes me sad.

I loved running to the craft vendors after an expansion to see what's new to make and we've had so little of that lately. We could really use schematics for new dyes, new shells, new decos and new mounts! Oh, while I'm talking about rare mats and shells, any hope that outdated gear schematics can be reworked so they only use readily available materials and not obsolete ones?

I've played several MMOs where crafters could craft BiS gear and it was never considered an issue, so I fail to see why it would be an issue here other than some people being stuck in a rut. The idea of having multiple ways to acquire BiS gear is neither new nor revolutionary.

I've played several MMOs where crafters could craft BiS gear and it was never considered an issue, so I fail to see why it would be an issue here other than some people being stuck in a rut. The idea of having multiple ways to acquire BiS gear is neither new nor revolutionary.

And people forget that crafting is not only about BiS gear. There are decorations and dyes and other things. Sure dyes don’t currently require gated mats.

I would like to see new exclusive dyes added in 6.0 that may also require the best mats. Dyes like those newer one’s on the CM that I’m sure no one with any sense buys off the GTN because they are ridiculously priced for a once off thing that is destroyed if you remove it. Which means Bioware probably don’t sell many of them anyway.

I don't get why crafters can't make BiS gear, it goes against a reason to craft and to have that immersion were supposed to have with MMO's, and being Social, being around other people having fun, and it goes against having a reason to pay for Armor/ Gear.

I don't get why crafters can't make BiS gear, it goes against a reason to craft and to have that immersion were supposed to have with MMO's, and being Social, being around other people having fun, and it goes against having a reason to pay for Armor/ Gear.

What are you even saying? If the crafters would be able to craft BiS without gated mats, for a cheap, not bound etc, why would people play ranked pvp or ops or anything. Just go buy from gtn or craft bis on one day, done. And that goes against being social.

Everyone has a way to acquire BiS gear, you want be only crafter? Good, craft, get cq and cxp => galactic crates = gear.

Chuck points => gear.

Basically you are getting gear by botting and doing dailes and you are still complaining.

All the cry I heard so far is for ' I'm not gonna be able to make easy money if I can't craft bis :('. As the song says, cry me a river 🤷*♂️

All the cry I heard so far is for ' I'm not gonna be able to make easy money if I can't craft bis :('. As the song says, cry me a river 🤷*♂️

All I hear is someone worried they won’t make as much if crafters have access to mats outside of gated content.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

All I hear is someone worried they won’t make as much if crafters have access to mats outside of gated content.

I'm set for life, believe I don't need more money, have billions. And you stilll don't get the point. If you can craft everything easily there is no point of playing anything, then remove the gear all together. So there is no way they are going to let you have it. Harder content will and should pay more.

It's a legitimate question. You might be an OPs player of the highest caliber, but might be constrained in your playtime. - If you could complete the hardest content with ease only once a month, you might legitimately turn to crafting to get BiS gear.

That being said, making mats drop so little, that they sell for 100s of Millions does keep it from al but the richest of characters.

I'm all for working for goals and gear to a small extent, but months of grind is not fun - just work.

I might be alone in this, but when I finish work I wanna blast some bad guys - PVE and PVP and immerse myself in a couple of hours fun activities in a SW universe... Not start another part-time job.