Jedi Consular (Sage or Shadow) PVE

lokiKnight

I Just picked up this game and started playing as a Jedi Consular (really enjoying it for now). After reading on this game it mentions you can specialize at level 10 and was just wondering what you guys think is the better Consular. Not sure what to become... Shadow or Sage?

I love to DPS from range, but also like to be able to defend myself up close. I like to have healing power, but i don't really fit the role of main healer. I will mainly play solo PVE and with a buddy (jedi knight).

What you guys think, any feedback on these two trees would be appreciated,

thanks!

As long as you're okay with the fact, that you won't use your lightsaber much, you should become a Sage, I guess. It fits well with a Jedi Knight and you will cast from a distance and be able to heal.

The Shadow is basically a melee class for close combat.

That depends on how you spec yourself.

In any case, I recommend Shadow. It has stealth. Believe it or not, in PVE.. stealth becomes a great asset even outside combat scenarios.. for simply getting from A to B and not having to fight every insignificant mob in your path.

Afaik Shadows don't get the ability to heal. So if you really want that, pick Sage.

There is only 1 healer tree in the Sage class. The other 2 are DPS, where you have healing spells as backup.

Sages DPS is basically all from range, you only get 2 lousy Lightsaber strikes as a Sage. So judging your description, Sage would be the way to go for you :)

Have fun.

Another happy Sage :)

Edited by SandsOfArrakis

It will depend what you choose. You can DPS as either or Heal/Tank as either.

Jedi Sage is Healer/DPS spec while Jedi Shadow is Tank/DPS.

I'm a healer as Jedi Sage and it works very well in PvE aswell in PvP. It makes a difference in PvP when you have healers.

With Jedi Sage DPS you have the ability to throw DoTs and channeling attacks aswell as using instant disturbance and project 2 throws occasionally. You have double AoE to do massive damage, etc. It works very well in PvE to handle large amount of mobs but also with bosses with 3 DoTs. Haven't tried PvP.

Jedi Shadow uses Shields to tank, but their DPS ability to stealth makes them a rogue type character. I don't know how it plays out though, so I can't tell much. But they can tank with their shielding ability.

So from what i can read the way to go should is Sage. But does your lightsaber become useless? Up to now i kinda like using both (force and saber).

On the other hand Shadow consular will never be the main tank because of his light armor., so what is his role ?

So hard to decide LOL., and i have to pick soon ....

So from what i can read the way to go should is Sage. But does your lightsaber become useless? Up to now i kinda like using both (force and saber).

On the other hand Shadow consular will never be the main tank because of his light armor., so what is his role ?

Nope, if spec'd correctly, shadows are main tanks. Do not let the use of light armor mislead you.

If you want to be able to stealth past all the mobs you don't actually need to kill, and just go straight for the quest objectives (lazy style) then Shadow is the best choice. It makes questing fast and easy.

But if you're truly going to be grouped with a Jedi Knight the entire time you're playing, you will definitely want to go Sage. You won't be stealthing past anything if you're just going to have to wait on your buddy anyway. And a Sage/Knight combo would be really solid for PvE questing. Even in DPS spec, you could provide him with some heals when you're really in a pinch. At some point, you'll both have companions though. He'll have a healer companion out most likely, and you'll probably have your DPS companion out, or another healing companion... so don't worry too much about main heals. You won't be pigeon holed into it just for 2 man questing in PvE.

If I may add to what has been already said about the Shadow: I find the class having an ever increasing repertoire of CC abilities: shorter and longer stuns, mezzes and knockbacks that make fights much more interesting, letting you take on tougher enemies - if you learn to control the flow of battle. Just my experience at level 33 or so :)

If I may add to what has been already said about the Shadow: I find the class having an ever increasing repertoire of CC abilities: shorter and longer stuns, mezzes and knockbacks that make fights much more interesting, letting you take on tougher enemies - if you learn to control the flow of battle. Just my experience at level 33 or so :)

Yeah it's great until you hit level 37 or so and start facing bosses that are immune to CC. It kind of trivializes our 20 minute oh snap button too because that resets Force Stun which they are immune to. Awesome...

I do love Shadow though and I keep trying to get myself to finish getting my Guardian up to level 50 but I've all ready caught my Shadow up to my Guardian and once I hit 50 I'm gonna gear him up for Operations and PvP.

Yeah it's great until you hit level 37 or so and start facing bosses that are immune to CC. It kind of trivializes our 20 minute oh snap button too because that resets Force Stun which they are immune to. Awesome...

I do love Shadow though and I keep trying to get myself to finish getting my Guardian up to level 50 but I've all ready caught my Shadow up to my Guardian and once I hit 50 I'm gonna gear him up for Operations and PvP.

Ugh, that I did not know. I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Four more levels or so :(

Edited by Sacriversum

• 1 month later...

i started a Consular today and im still in the limbo in what path to go , i would like to make him dps/heal but in all mmos i have tank and i like the dual saber thing but still undecided :((

Can a shadow tank give me his 2 cents? how is the class in FP, and at end game?

Sages 2 cents also , how is the healing/dps , at fp and end game.

I dont pvp so , my main focus will be PvE.

Ty all .

I just made both! Problem solved. I have a lvl 50 shadow and a 20 sage. I love playing both. Actually I have a guardian and a BH and I like all of them. That is what is great about this game you can have a ton of toons.

I just made both! Problem solved. I have a lvl 50 shadow and a 20 sage. I love playing both. Actually I have a guardian and a BH and I like all of them. That is what is great about this game you can have a ton of toons.

Ty my friend, after reading this i think ill do the same and see wich one i like most.

I still will like some feedback on the shadow and sage , endgame like FP's , HM and ops.

Having fun throwing rocks since 2/14/12 .. :p:D

i started a Consular today and im still in the limbo in what path to go , i would like to make him dps/heal but in all mmos i have tank and i like the dual saber thing but still undecided :((

Can a shadow tank give me his 2 cents? how is the class in FP, and at end game?

Sages 2 cents also , how is the healing/dps , at fp and end game.

I dont pvp so , my main focus will be PvE.

Ty all .

I can't answer your question fully, but I think I can provide some insight. I have a level 40 Assasin (Shadow mirror) and am leveling a Sage right now (level 29).

First, in PvE, hands down, the Sage is better (easier to level). Spec'd dps, you do just as much damage, if not more, and you can heal and have instant CC with force lift. It almost feels like cheating after leveling the Assassin. You will be able to easily solo all 2+ heroics. It's also possible with Shadow, but will definately require more skill. Not saying you won't have fun either way. I might even say I enjoyed the Assassin(Shadow) a little more as in some fights I really had to think out a plan, and execute it flawlessly to get through some content. Anyway, to add to the Sage argument for PvE, with your ability to heal, you bring a lot more utility to a group, even not spec'd heals.

Now, in PvP, I LOVE my assassin (shadow). She is spec'd tank and is a beast. You can take major hits, deal out very respectable damage, and you have guard, a healers best friend. I pull out 7-8 medals almost easily every match and have a general feeling of contribution to matches that I just don't get on the Sage. In PvP on the sage, the second you heal someone, you are now the main focus of EVERYONE, and your survivability is nowhere near on par with the tank spec'd assassin/shadow.

In conclusion, being lvl 40 as my highest character, I can't add input into the endgame conversation. But I can say without a doubt, the leveling experience (PvE) on the sage is much easier then shadow (not saying its hard). And, for myself, the PvP is far more gratifying on my Assassin.

Well, here's my input as a DPS Shadow (was a tank until level 28 or so, then decided that I wanted to kill quickly, not survive and prolong the fights) who regularly does FPs, with pretty much the same other DPS (smuggler) and healer (Sage).

We ran Red Reaper with a Vanguard tank and a Shadow tank. The Vanguard tank dropped (though he was an experienced tank and higher levelled), but the Shadow tank never did. Was also great at holding threat, particularly on some enemies, allowing me to burst the enemy with very little worries. The Shadow tank can also (from what I gather) be a much easier levelling experience throughout than levelling a DPS Shadow (and possibly a DPS Sage), as you're much more survivable than even a trooper in heavy armour, you have the addition of stealth, which helps you bypass trash that you don't need to kill, and a respectable DPS which is good for obvious reasons.

Tim

Afaik Shadows don't get the ability to heal. So if you really want that, pick Sage.

There is only 1 healer tree in the Sage class. The other 2 are DPS, where you have healing spells as backup.

Sages DPS is basically all from range, you only get 2 lousy Lightsaber strikes as a Sage. So judging your description, Sage would be the way to go for you :)

Have fun.

Another happy Sage :)

Which is a shame IMO. Sages are force users, alright, but they are jedi nonetheless. BW should give us the means to fight effectively with our lightsabers.