Why is all the cool new gear cartel exclusive?

Dawginole

Free features

Look at: Vendors

That's not the same thing, SWTOR restricts non-subscribers very harshly, to the point that it isn't actually possible to play the entire game for free.

Unlike in a genuinely F2P game like PS2.

Most other MMOs be the F2P or Freemium (as SWTOR is) generally reward thier subscribers very well.......... for some reason SWTOR doesn't do this.

For example to bring the subscriber monthly dividend somewhat into line with other games they'd have to do one of the following - reduce Cashshop prices by at least 50% or increase monthly Cashshop coins by at least 100%.

There's also no way to earn Cashshop currency in game, and of course you can't buy Adventure Packs like Makeb with Cashshop currency either.

SWTOR is treats its subscribers terribly compared to other similar MMOs. :(

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that they also hoped that the stuff would be introduced to the GTN by players. Which it has. The reason it cost so much credits (fake money), is because it probably cost real money in the long run.

They idea that someone selling it on the AH means there doesn't need to be a way to get it in-game is a daft one......... one that would go down very well at any EA board meeting though I'm sure.

Cool gear Cartel exclusive?

hmm.. I have yet to find anything I would want to wear in the cash shop, even if it was free.

They need to put some effort in on the gear if they want my money, everything looks crap so far.

This.

Still waiting on decent gear.

I've only run across 3 armor sets in the market that I actually want to buy. The Jedi armor, the Sith armor and the Outlaws armor (minus the head piece). The rest is just reskinned crap.

Yeah, I take issue with the title. Here's my response:

Why is all the Cartel Market gear UGLY AS HELL?

For some incomprehensible reason, there are plenty of people out there perfectly willing to bend over and allow EA print money off them. In doing so, people have spoken though. Community as a whole has voted with their wallets. You can rest assured vast majority of anything that is designed to look cool will always be cash shop exclusive from now on. Maybe Occasionally we get content patches(ones that dont cost 10 dollah) that introduce new gear. I'm sure it will almost always be recolorings of existing models. Everything unique will be put to cash shop.

For cold hard dollars, euros, or whatever your local currency is.

If you want a cartel item but have an aversion to spending real money on it, wait for it to hit the GTN. Everything does.

The Incendia speeder started out on the GTN listed at 7million and now it's at ~1million and still going down.

Sure it will take a few days of dailies to get 1million credits but if you're like me that's better than spending real cash even if you have the disposable income.

Edited by Projawa

Most of the cartel gear is re-skinned crap that is already in game. The unique items are rare and there is still a vast amount more variety in game that in the cash shop. Nearly all cartel items always hit the GTN anyway and fit into the economy.

You can look at it this way: There could be (as there already is) craft only items that can only be sold on the GTN but not found in loot. It really isn't much different having some buying items and then putting them on the GTN. Those players invested time (because time is money in the real world) to purchase those items and now offer them to the players in game.

Everyone seems to be missing a major point entirely as well. Tons of games now offer real cash purchases simply to reduce the market for gold farmers which plague other games. Giving players legal means to increase their in game income through real cash puts the power in the hands of the players and developers and out of the gold farmers. This really shouldn't be a debate anymore. It is the way all mmos will be handled from now on.

If you want an item from the cartel shop go out and make in game cash and buy them when they hit the GTN. It is no different than earning commendations to buy items from vendors ... no difference what so ever.

I have no problem with the CM. I understand it is a business and it's job is to make money. My problems come from the fact that 90% of it is reskinned, you can't get any of it in questing (although there are a couple that my Synthweaver can craft), they aren't listening to what we want, and it is way over priced. Take the new mount. I am not spending $18 on it. Not worth it. I remember when everyone was jealous of people getting mounts you could only get in HM FPs and Ops. Now, you have to spend too much money to get these items and I think they should be available through questing. I'll admit when it first started, I bought a lot of gambling packs from the CM. And then I accumulated a bunch of junk that I can't get rid of unless I just destroy it. I want to be able to sell things that I spent MY actual real life money on to vendors.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I've only run across 3 armor sets in the market that I actually want to buy. The Jedi armor, the Sith armor and the Outlaws armor (minus the head piece). The rest is just reskinned crap.

Yeah, the rest is just too appeal to the adaptive armour bit, i.e. classes that can't wear heavy armour or give away stats for light armour being able to wear it.

This genuinely has a $0.00 development and production cost.

LOL that last picture with vader and those feathers and blades made me laugh. Good way to get the point across. Personally, the imp pvp sets would be fine if they didn't have spikes sticking out side of your boots or on your shoulders like your in some robotic anime.

Obviously you missed the point of his post and why he was asking it. Yes OP. All the good stuff is going to go to the CM. It is their cash cow. The days of questing for that cool new piece of gear died when they introduced the CM. So don't get your hopes up that you will be questing for the nice **** anymore. Open your wallet and pony up the $$$ for the good ****.

This is not necessarily true. If one wants some of that new gear, they do not have to spend any cartel coins. One can attain every single piece of cartel gear on the GTN for credits. Rather then questing for that piece of gear, one can quest for the credits to attain the gear.

The fact is that it makes it a bit easier for anyone with a 50 to gear both themselves and their alts in the attire by granting them the choice of which quests they wish to do, which quests are more lucrative. Upper body sets are around 100k. One can earn 300 to 400 k a day (on average) doing dailies, space missions, FPs, OPs, which means it is possible to purchase a full set in as little as a day or two. One can even earn enough credits to buy a cartel pack or two per day if they choose.

It also means that people are spending money on the game, which means revenue for the game, which means the game becomes worth further investing, which means updates and new content.

I don't see this as such a negative thing. Different then we are used to, but it may very well save this game. I'm good with that.

Edited by Blackardin

You can just completely misread everything I write. I spoke of the BM Weaponmaster for the Mara:

BM WM

BM WM /w Helmet

+ now the Helmet goes under the hood, so it looks even better.

And in my opinion the jedi gear you posted, looks really ugly

That looks quite ugly in my opinion, sorry but am not a spikes-fetish, the jedi one at least looks more normal/classy something sombody might actually wear.... but hei, if u like spikes, antenas and wierd robo-stuff hanging out of ur clothes then have it ur way...

For the rest of us in here, thats not what we like like.... 90% of all who play this game, play it becouse its Star Wars, or at least was suposed to be so; not some Warhamer 40k + Japanise Manga mix up.....

Edited by YeIIow