Get ready to play - activate your account

StephenReid

As a reminder, in the early hours of tomorrow morning (December 22nd), we will be taking both the game servers and SWTOR.com offline for maintenance. This maintenance will begin at 2AM CST (12AM PST / 3AM EST / 8AM GMT / 9AM CET) and is expected to last until 6AM CST (4AM PST / 7AM EST / 12PM GMT / 1PM CET).

Get Ready to Play

After this maintenance period is completed, in order to continue playing Star Wars: The Old Republic you will need to have completed the following steps:

1) Create an account on SWTOR.com (if you have not already done so)

2) Within the 'My Account' section:

• Complete your contact information
  • Add between three and five security questions on your account
  • Redeem an official Game Product Registration Code (not a pre-order code; see below)

Once you have completed all of these steps, you'll be ready to play once the servers come back up. You can complete these steps at any time before the maintenance begins, or afterwards if you prefer. Right now, approximately half of those who played in Early Game Access have completed these steps and are 'ready to play', so we'd encourage all of you to complete these steps as soon as possible.

If you have issues completing any of these steps, please contact Customer Service via support@swtor.com for assistance.

Forums 'Read Only' During High Load Period

When we bring SWTOR.com back up after maintenance, we're expecting to see very high load as users complete their 'ready to play' steps as outlined above. As having everyone complete these steps and getting them back into the game is our highest priority, we have decided to keep the official Forums in 'read only mode', hopefully just for a few hours, until load subsides. (In other words, you will be able to read the Forums, but not make posts.)

If we experience unexpected load, we may take the Forums offline for a period. Remember, when we switch the Forums back to normal, you will not be able to post unless you have completed the steps listed above.

Here are answers to some questions you might have regarding the process:

What's a 'Game Product Registration Code'?

The Game Product Registration Code is the code provided with your retail or digital copy of Star Wars: The Old Republic. This code should be found inside the packaging of any retail edition of the game, or would have been emailed to you from Origin.com if you ordered a digital Standard or Deluxe Edition.

If you have purchased a retail copy of Star Wars: The Old Republic and find the Product Registration Code missing or unreadable please email support@swtor.com with the following details:

• The subject "Product Code Proof" in your email title.
  • A detailed description of your problem.
  • Attach a scan of your proof of purchase (receipt). Please write the name of the account holder on the receipt. Please make sure that your name is clearly readable on the scan.
  • Customer Service will get back to you as soon as they can.

If you have purchased a digital copy of Star Wars: The Old Republic and find the Product Registration Code missing or unreadable please email support@swtor.com with the following details:

• The subject "Product Code Proof" in your email title.
  • A detailed description of your problem.
  • Attach a scan of your proof of purchase (receipt). Please write the name of the account holder on the receipt. Please make sure that your name is clearly readable on the scan.
  • Customer Service will get back to you as soon as they can.

Why do I need to sign up for a subscription?

You first 30 days of Game Time are included in the purchase of any edition of Star Wars: The Old Republic, but you must add a valid payment method to activate your account. This method of payment varies by country, but includes most major credit cards plus ELV and Paypal (in some territories). Please visit our Billing and Subscription FAQ for more details. You can also activate your account using a Pre-Paid Game Time Card, available at most major retailers.

Whenever you activate your account, your 30 days of free Game Time will begin. When using a credit card, ELV or Paypal, you will not be billed for your second month of play until your 30 days of free Game Time is complete. You may cancel your subscription at any time in your first 30 days of play. Your unused Game Time will still be available on your account and you can still play until this expires.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever you activate your account, your 30 days of free Game Time will begin. When using a credit card, ELV or Paypal, you will not be billed for your second month of play until your 30 days of free Game Time is complete. You may cancel your subscription at any time in your first 30 days of play. Your unused Game Time will still be available on your account and you can still play until this expires.

The bold, underlined part seems untrue. When I signed up for billing (I chose the 6 month plan), my card was charged immediately.

Edited by DarthTHC

As a reminder, in the early hours of tomorrow morning (December 22nd), we will be taking both the game servers and SWTOR.com offline for maintenance. This maintenance will begin at 2AM CST (12AM PST / 3AM EST / 8AM GMT / 9AM CET) and is expected to last until 6AM CST (4AM PST / 7AM EST / 12PM GMT / 1PM CET).

Get Ready to Play

Can't get ready to play if you won't help those that are waiting on customer support to get us our Product Registration Codes. Guess it's ok if we don't get to play after tonight nor be able to post on the forums. Nice easy way to make us just disappear and be forgotten about. I don't mean to be such a pain or negative but after waiting six days to get this fixed, enough is enough.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=37565

EDIT: I just got my key, but there are others that still need help. Please don't let them fall to the way side.

Edited by Brex

:mad:Boware please explain i bought a CE i states cleary i would get a month of free playing time and now after two days you already ask me to buy a pre-paid card?

Really? I hope it's a bad joke on your part just just all my money to pay the CE and now i can't play anymore starting tommorow because i dont have the money right now to buy a freaking pre-paid card? :mad: im so mad right now im planning to burn up CE you are ripping people off!! You promised 30 days free playtime not 30 days free play time if you buy right away 60days pre-paid time!! :mad:

:mad:Boware please explain i bought a CE i states cleary i would get a month of free playing time and now after two days you already ask me to buy a pre-paid card?

Really? I hope it's a bad joke on your part just just all my money to pay the CE and now i can't play anymore starting tommorow because i dont have the money right now to buy a freaking pre-paid card? :mad: im so mad right now im planning to burn up CE you are ripping people off!! You promised 30 days free playtime not 30 days free play time if you buy right away 60days pre-paid time!! :mad:

I think you'll find most MMOs require you to enter your credit card details in order to start playing with the first free month, you can usualy cancel your subscription once that free time is up. I guess Bioware are adding another way by adding gametime cards incase you dont have access to a credit card/they don't accept yours.

I, on the other hand, got my Digital Standard Edition code, but can't input it into my account.

Two e-mails from Customer Support later and only thing I have to show for it is two template e-mails about early access, which wasn't the issue of my tickets in the first place.

Hopefully the third e-mail, in-game ticket and tweets to Stephen and SWTOR will get someone to actually read my mail...

Hi,

I bought a physical copy of the CE and I couldn't find my product registration key anywhere in the box, or is it the security key that comes on the keychain that I'm supposed to use?

The security key is only a second password to the game that gives access to a special ingame vendor.

The product registration key should be either on the box or on the game's documentation.

Hi,

I bought a physical copy of the CE and I couldn't find my product registration key anywhere in the box, or is it the security key that comes on the keychain that I'm supposed to use?

Should be on one of the sheets inside the dvd case with your game discs.

Scam of the decade? Why would I want to add a subscription before I know if I like the game enough to do so? The cover of the box states explicitly that a 30 day subscription is included with the purchase. I sure as hell ain't giving you any more money after the EGA and the 4 hour queues. You have to actually earn the subscriptions by launching a complete and polished product.

Seriously, this is infuriating. Can't wait for the *****torm tomorrow morning once ppl realize what you're trying to pull off. Unbelievable. Go revert it now before anyone notices. How low can you actually get?

Scam of the decade? Why would I want to add a subscription before I know if I like the game enough to do so? The cover of the box states explicitly that a 30 day subscription is included with the purchase. I sure as hell ain't giving you any more money after the EGA and the 4 hour queues. You have to actually earn the subscriptions by launching a complete and polished product.

Seriously, this is infuriating. Can't wait for the *****torm tomorrow morning once ppl realize what you're trying to pull off. Unbelievable. Go revert it now before anyone notices. How low can you actually get?

This is the way all MMO's with a subscription work. Go by the starter kit for WOW it has a free month also. They will require you to put in a CC or timecard to play. SWTOR is no different.

I think people are over-reacting a bit. True you need to sign up to a sub, but its only to active your account, you can cancel it straight after, and Im pretty sure I didnt get charged at all, and if I did it was like £2 to check if its a valid card (Im sure this will either be refunded or taken off your first resub cost). I do however feel for people without cards who cant/dont wish to pay out for a pre-paid just to activate their game.

:mad:

I think people are over-reacting a bit. True you need to sign up to a sub, but its only to active your account, you can cancel it straight after, and Im pretty sure I didnt get charged at all, and if I did it was like £2 to check if its a valid card (Im sure this will either be refunded or taken off your first resub cost). I do however feel for people without cards who cant/dont wish to pay out for a pre-paid just to activate their game.

You ****** not all of us have creditcard or live in america so of us yu spend all our money buying the game and need to wait untill next months paycheck to buy a pre-pay timecard:mad: All with out a creditcard just got the shaft by Bioware!:mad:

Edited by Deimos_Olympian

This is the way all MMO's with a subscription work. Go by the starter kit for WOW it has a free month also. They will require you to put in a CC or timecard to play. SWTOR is no different.

Untrue, I bought a starter kit and there was a card inside to activate my 30 days, I didn't have to give any details.

I hope I can play my game tomorrow, otherwise I'm gonna be pissed, I don't have a credit card and because of a strike I can't go to any shop...

Atm it's a: buy one month, get one for free.

:mad:

You ****** not all of us have creditcard or live in america so of us yu spend all our money buying the game and need to wait untill next months paycheck to buy a pre-pay timecard:mad: All with out a creditcard just got the shaft by Bioware!:mad:

Don't blame your bad money management on Bioware. Nobody asked you to buy the Collector's Edition for it's inflated price. If you have the money to blow on the collectors edition, you have the money to buy a pre-paid time card. It's like what? $15. QQ somewhere else.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but seriously, don't log into the forum to whine and make poorly constructed arguments based on hyperbole. It's trite.

Consider the people without timecards available for purchase in their area and no credit card. Those people are actually getting the shaft.

Absolutely not true. WoW did not require any such thing on purchase. They were pretty confident that once you play it you'll still want to subscribe. No need for sleazy tricks.