My adventure and feelings through SWTOR so far - A letter from a Founder

Kampflerk

Hello there :D

First off:

Please consider to move on - Here I will get MY Opinion and Viewpoint of the Game out into the World, to have a discuss with the Community (and maybe even the Devs?). This is not primary a Rant or Rage Letter but it WILL contain some Parts of it in the Nature of my Emotions I have with the Game. And it will be Long!. So you are (not) prepared:jawa_redface:

I have bought a One Month Sub for SWTOR again to get into Onslought on the 22.10 I am a Founder of the Game and im here since 2009 - but over the time I get more and more off from the Game because of its development-way and where the Game is going since there. I came from World of Warcraft; I even play it Today, activ over 9 years now (Man I get old :o). As I Startet my first adventure in SWTOR, I was in it. I loved it. To walk around the Ender Spire, to see Taris after Malak destoryed it, hell even to see and hear parts of Revan... I was ready to give the Game my Hearth as Main Game (With WoW was at the time).

After some long time, the facade began to crumble for me. I completed my Jedi Knight. I faced the Emperor and was ready to walk along and go even further Into the Game. To get ready for the first Operation. To grind my Gear and become the "Boss" to wipe Elite NPCs out of the Game because of my Gear:rak_03: But then came the first "DLC" - Rise of the Hutt Cartel. And I Played the Story. But after that.. The facade began to crumble even more for me. With Shadow of Revan the same. Every addon, even more, until today.

Why do I tell you this? Because I am in a weird Spot with the Game now. For 7 Years I have the hope, the wish SWTOR would become THAT Game beside World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2 and now even beside The Elder Scrolls Online. But in the past 8 years from now has (for me) changed Nothing. I am a Star Wars fan, as many of you too here. But I am also a Gamer, and as a Gamer ... I want more. Star Wars The old Republic has let me down in the Past so hard that I could "cry" because of it. Since the Free to Play Change at the end of 2012/13 the Game became more and more to a Game which want to get Money from the Players, at Cost of its Reputation. In the past, as Star Wars was Released, the Game was Full with live. Whole Guilds in World of Warcraft quit for SWTOR. Many, also I, saw into SWTOR not a bad WoW 2.0 Copy/Past Game (as many others Games out there). But a Game which CAN "hurt" Blizzard a bit.

I repeat it again: ALL I say here is MY View. You dont need to have the same!

Now, 8 Years later we have since the introduction of the Cartelmarket (Shop), so many Stuff in there.. But so less in the Game itself. So many Stuff, Overwork of the Character Movements, Server and Engine Health, Immersion of the World, overall: Quality of life improvements are missing even today. Instead Bioware puts more Focus into the Shop with cool Mounts, Armor, Lightsaber/Blaster Color Crystals and so on. I have over 6 years the feeling, Bioware it milking the Game instead if making SWTOR to that Game Star Wars and MMO Fans deserve ...

Dont get me wrong: The Story of the Game is good, Hands down. But enything else??..

Since then I get beset to get an Sub. Instead of Playing free. I cant Equipe Epic Gear because I am/was a Free to Play Player. I cant get into Operations because: I am a Free to Player Player. Gamestar (A free and big German Games Magazine) (and also other) say thats the Story is awesome - but for anything else its not a (good) Game. I dont complain, that I dont get Stuff for Free - But im complaining about, its a Free to Play game (it is advertised as such) but you cant make 60% of the Game without paying for it

My point is:

I am a World of Warcraft Player but this doent mean Im a Fanboy. I dont need a WoW with Lightsabers, but I wish you (Bioware) would make a Step foreward and give Players more beside Story. I want to have the need to Farm my Gear. I want to have Challenges because of my/missing Gear. I want to have the need again to work for Stuff so I get better. To farm Mounts (like the first Tauntaun) on Hoth - there you could have put a Daily into it to educate and train it so you got the Mount after a Month. Transmogg which looks Cool and I can farm Ingame (instead of pay for it in the Shop) So, (MMO) Content basicly so I/Players keep Playing for Stuff they want. Crafting a new lightsaber instead uf get Loot from a Boss or go to Ilum and farmn a Color Crystal in a Cave like in Kotor 1. And.. So.. On.. And it feels like the Game has no Hearth and Soul anymore since the F2P change.

Now with Level 10 I/You get you Companion. And with the Companion you can to (so it felt) 85% of the Open World Content. Basicly there is no need to grind (BiS) Gear. To run Flashpoints to get Gear to go after that into Operations (If you have enough Gear/GS) Play as you want sounds great and I dont blame you for this Idea :) But Step foreward and make Content which on is enjoyable. For example: World of Warcraft,.. Yea it has Catch-up Gear but thats not the Problem for me. WoW has a Progress "curve". The old Republic doent :s I can farm BiS Gear but dont get stronger. I dont can kill Elite faster. I dont get to the Level of a "Boss" with the Right Gear in PvE. There are no City Raids/Planet on Coruscant (I have dreamed and had made even a Groupe in the past in Teamspeak before Launch for that) as Imperial Player. Even Star Citizen has more or enjoyable Content at SWTOR - and yeah I know

I compare apples to pears with this.

Blame and Flame me for that I said; I am a World of Warcraft Player. Blame me for it that I want to have the Game I saw in the past :( I mean: Even The Elder Scrolls Online has Story and also a lot of Content and Progress. So, why SWTOR hasn't? And because of this all, I Play more WoW instead of SWTOR. Because SWTOR has nothing beside Story. I can farm my Operation Gear but doesnt feel stronger... As I said: The curve isnt there - or im wrong?

So;

How do YOU see this whole Management of Bioware they put into SWTOR? Bioware, I wish and very hope you can make the Game good again. You sit on a Goldmine with a very strong license - So use it! After Anthem you repuration has a curtsey that you can make good Games. Show us that you can still do it! Hell, I would even PAY 60€ for an Expansion if it is a full Expansion with a lot a Quality of life Stuff. And hell: Allow Interface-Addons As I said: So much Stuff is still missing.

So, lets see how Onslaught will do an what Bioware makes out of it. No matter how it gets, if Bioware will Continue the road they using the last Years with only Story and minimal MMO in it, Im out for ever. Nobody will cry about it but for me its not worth it.

- Salute from Germany and Sorry for the lengh of this weird letter^^

/ / / / / End / / / / /

Edited by Kampflerk