Season Finale of SW.Rebels

t-darko

"You got no idea what you unleashed here today, - There are some things more frightening than Death!"

Well first off; Beniboybling got his wish granted, we're leaving Lothal, if just briefly for this episode, but we go to where Jedis go to Die! And we got a weee bit more darkness. I feel, as the show is picking up pace here, IF one can see beyond the still childish appearances and the kid telly, that the show explicitly are, I think they capture the OT feeling of E4 in a convincing way. It has exactly that more spaceship and lightsaber presence one want for Star Wars. We end up with quite a build up to season 2 as well:

Ashoka Tano is Fulcum, who would have guessed:rolleyes:, but I must admit a grown up nearly Yoda kinda' wise aura surrounds her, it got me intrigued!! Give to that another twist with her old teacher/master making an entry, well it got my old ticker going anyhows!!!

Good stuff in all I think, what do you all say guys?

Edited by t-darko

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I think?

I think the writers have 0 knowledge on what the Empire is and is going off those false asinine myths about them. The Ghost crew can't die?

Ok fine i'll accept that, plot armor. But everything else is just...no.

Also way for them to kill off an interesting character, that was imo completely stupid.

Season 2 better pick up for the Empire, especially if Vader is around now. They better not screw up Vader either..

I am super excited about season 2. Its unfortunate about the starter villian, though I did feel in the end they did set up him being slightly threatening, but every thing else I felt made sense and was awesome. The final battle was awesome for me, and exactly why I said Ezra's blade = most awesome lightsaber ever. Edited by tunewalker

What I think?

I think the writers have 0 knowledge on what the Empire is and is going off those false asinine myths about them. The Ghost crew can't die?

Ok fine i'll accept that, plot armor. But everything else is just...no.

Also way for them to kill off an interesting character, that was imo completely stupid.

Season 2 better pick up for the Empire, especially if Vader is around now. They better not screw up Vader either..

I feel for you mate, on the other hand we kinda knew that;) but on the bright side, Our Peter Cushing Cartoon stays cool, never panics, an embodiment of Imperial Discipline, not to mention Sherlock Holmes and Van Helsing all rolled up in Our Own, Moriarty styled, Governor Tarkin!!!

Edited by t-darko

I feel for you mate, on the other hand we kinda knew that;) but on the bright side, Our Peter Cushing Cartoon stays cool, never panics, an embodiment of Imperial Discipline, not to mention Sherlock Holmes and Van Helsing all rolled up in Our Own, Moriarty styled, Governor Tarkin!!!

Tarkin is the only awesome character on the Empire side, Kallus is...meh for now, but he could turn interesting, provided of course they don't kill him off too. <<

Vader, I'm just hoping they don't screw him up.

I thought it was great, bring both ahsoka and vader back could lead to some really interesting interactions there.

I just really hope they find some convincing excuse to keep ahsoka alive through the OT so she can have a brief appearance in 7. Wishful thinking maybe but hey, I like her.

Though if they have a suitably epic death for her I wouldn't mind that much.

I thought it was great, bring both ahsoka and vader back could lead to some really interesting interactions there.

I just really hope they find some convincing excuse to keep ahsoka alive through the OT so she can have a brief appearance in 7. Wishful thinking maybe but hey, I like her.

Though if they have a suitably epic death for her I wouldn't mind that much.

Personally I think to stick with Yoda's claim of "when gone am I, the Last of the Jedi will you be." to Luke that Ahsoka should be killed by Vader.

I am actually hoping that Ahsoka doesnt know that Vader is Anakin and instead believes who ever he is, betrayed and Murdered Anakin.

Personally I think to stick with Yoda's claim of "when gone am I, the Last of the Jedi will you be." to Luke that Ahsoka should be killed by Vader.

I am actually hoping that Ahsoka doesnt know that Vader is Anakin and instead believes who ever he is, betrayed and Murdered Anakin.

Well, technically Ahsoka isn't a Jedi anymore.

Besides, we don't even know whether Yoda knows Ahsoka is alive anymore, remember, he saw her die in his vision in S06 of TCW along with the rest of the Jedi, but that obviously didn't happen that way, and he didn't know abuot Kanan until he entered the Jedi outpost. Which doesn't bode well for his survival for that matter.

hell, so long as we get some epic dual saber fight scenes with her I'll be happy (please keep her lightsabers green, we got enough blue sabers...).

On the note of survivability, the real question is Ezra, he'd be the same age as Luke, roughly, so what was he up to in OT? I can't see them killing him off, and he'd probably be a force to be reckoned with by Ep IV, I can't see him sticking just to Lothal.

So many questions, so much potential for interesting stories and complete screw ups.

Well, technically Ahsoka isn't a Jedi anymore.

Besides, we don't even know whether Yoda knows Ahsoka is alive anymore, remember, he saw her die in his vision in S06 of TCW along with the rest of the Jedi, but that obviously didn't happen that way, and he didn't know abuot Kanan until he entered the Jedi outpost. Which doesn't bode well for his survival for that matter.

hell, so long as we get some epic dual saber fight scenes with her I'll be happy (please keep her lightsabers green, we got enough blue sabers...).

On the note of survivability, the real question is Ezra, he'd be the same age as Luke, roughly, so what was he up to in OT? I can't see them killing him off, and he'd probably be a force to be reckoned with by Ep IV, I can't see him sticking just to Lothal.

So many questions, so much potential for interesting stories and complete screw ups.

I'm not entirely sure the Inquisitor is dead, I'm thinking on his ears and overly rugged appearance, the hollow eyes etc. what did Kaanan unleash? What is 'more frightening than death'? Is the Inquisitor to becoming more "machine than man" as well? I'm hoping here for some explanation, in the coming season, on the Emperors Force sensitive minions outside the Rule of Two!!? The Inquisitor did seem to be recruiting Force sensitive children in that child boot camp episode!!

As for how many Jedi there are out there, remember the convo from E3 between Yoda and Mace Windu on how clouded the Force were to them, and then Windu says " . . . we can't let the public know that our connection to the Force has diminished!!" This could very well be the reason why the Force bond between the Jedi are weakened.

Well, you all asked for a plausible cause as to why they, the Jedi generally and yoda especially, can't 'feel' each other over long distances or only in places 'strong with the Force', think this is as good as any!?

Edited by t-darko

Shame that we won't be seeing Jason Isaacs any more (I assume), but it shouldn't have been a surprise. I stated before how inquisitors fit into the official mythology.

Lucas Film told you in the official Rebel videos. Just like they've officially stated Clone Troopers > Stormtroopers.

I'll say again, the Inquisitor was lucky he didn't go up against Ahsoka. ;)

The Inquisitors are there to deal with the petty crap and the stuff Vader doesn't have time for. The Ghost Crew is proving more capable, and now you call Vader.

Season 2 is looking to be a step up from Season 1. Here's hoping.

Edited by CaulderBenson

I'm hoping here for some explanation, in the coming season, on the Emperors Force sensitive minions outside the Rule of Two!!? The Inquisitor did seem to be recruiting Force sensitive children in that child boot camp episode!!

We already know this from the EU. Force sensitives in the Empire were given basic training and skills, and then just enough above that to fulfill their roles in the Empire.

The Emperor's Hands were specialized assassins and espionage agents, the Inquisitors are supposed to hunt down and deal with rogue force users and have access to pretty much the full might of the empire. They set traps, ambushes, etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing more, and maybe something new, but we already know the basic answers.

I would love to see one of the Emperor's Hands in action, even if it's not Mara. :)

It is nice to see a more McQuarrie inspired version of Vader in official media too. It's a subtle enough difference that it's not bothersome, but it does get us a neat new style on Vader.

I like it.

Edited by CaulderBenson

Overall, I thought it was a decent finale (particularly for a freshmen season), but not as good as some of the other episodes we've gotten since the Empire Day two-parter.

The Good:

The Kanan / Inquisitor fight - especially Kanan switching between blaster and lightsaber modes on Ezra's saber to throw the Inquisitor off (which was both interesting visually and smart tactically), and his dual-wielding. If this show's going to insist on gimmicky sabers, at least it used them fairly well.

The entire space fight at the end (that swarm of TIEs looked impressive) and Chopper bringing in the cavalry, while predictable from the moment he contacted Fulcrum, was still executed very well.

Thematically, taking the Rebels where they need to go - into being part of a larger Rebellion. Good upping of the stakes.

Ezra getting a couple scars to remember the Inquisitor by.

The character design / overall look of Adult!Ahsoka.

It's silly, but I liked the painted TIE and some of the dialogue commenting on it.

Hera and Kanan's reunion at the end was a nice moment (but are they purposefully avoiding any kissing due to the demographic?)

-This one is borderline since it is such an overused trope: the Inquisitor's 'Hannibal lecture' to Kanan about Kanan being a coward, etc. and the way it set up the final showdown. I'm calling this a 'Good' because Jason Isaacs pulled it off really well and honestly it would have been weird if they hadn't done it.

The Bad:

Sabine's distraction at the very beginning started out fine, but got a bit too cartoony before the end.

I do not buy a handful of Ion Grenades inside a single TIE in a hanger being able to disable an entire Star Destroyer and knock out a ton of Stormtroopers. The writers really could have come up with something better there. (I suppose a counter-argument could be made that, in Episode I, a single fighter inside a hanger was able to destroy an entire battleship with one shot - but I don't think that's a plot point that other SW fiction should be picking to emulate.)

Setting the finale at Mustafar without doing anything on Mustafar. Seemed like a waste after the "where Jedi go to die" buildup.

I feel like they could have done more to maintain Tarkin's air of being a serious threat - he was the one who got the reinforcements in so quickly, which was a step in the right direction, but I think there should have been one or two more quick moments like that.

The Too-Early-To-Tell:

Ahsoka as Fulcrum - it was great to see her, a good piece for Clone Wars fans (and placing her between the reveal of the larger Rebellion and Vader meant that it probably wasn't a flat note for those who have never seen Clone Wars) - but now we have to see how well they'll actually use her.

Ditto for apparently putting Vader directly on the Rebel's trail. Could be awesome, could severely undercut the menace and mystique of Vader if done poorly.

Killing off the Inquisitor. Could be an epic finale and a good way to keep the plot moving forward - but now they need to make sure the show as a whole doesn't suffer for his absence.

Alright show, you've had the Rebels take the first step into a 'larger world' now that they know about the greater Rebellion. This is the time to start moving them off of Lothol. They can still be based there, but this is where the show can really benefit from broadening its scope in tandem with the characters.

Edited by DarthDymond

They are full white, according to Dave Filoni.

huh, I dug up the interview, I like that even better, I just didn't think there would ever come a day that canon would ever break from the blue/green/red. Pleasantly surprised again.

For the full interview for anyone else

good stuff in there.

Apart from the Empire, it's terrible that they just wasted a brand new character like that. I wouldn't have minded if he died like in the later seasons, but dying in the 1st season?...

Really? He didn't even have much screen time to boot, what a waste of a character tbh...that's one of the other big things that bother me...wasted character potential.

We already know this from the EU. Force sensitives in the Empire were given basic training and skills, and then just enough above that to fulfill their roles in the Empire.

Well, both yes and no, I wouldn't argue with you pre 2012 Disney buy up and Canon Purge of the franchise. But now?

Don't think it's such a open and shut case. I do believe we will get some explanation to what will happen and occur Dark Force like in the new E7 in Rebels. Thats really the original intention with my question, hence my curiosity to how they will work in, use or not use old EU Canon, or just 'make things up' to create a new Canon?!

The Inquisitor is coming back, but not for a while, maybe season 4 or 5.

I hope if he does its not like they did with Maul. If he comes back I want a kind of "prequel" with him, but bringing him back from the dead was the STUPIDEST thing they ever did in TCW for me.

That is actually 1 down side to ahsoka and Vader being back.

Before it was an all new crew of characters so even though you know they are not likely to harm our main heroes ESPECIALLY in season 1, you actually dont know what happens to them. Unlike Anakin and Obi-wan where every time they got into a "tight spot" in the clone wars... i had to be mister sarcastic and be like... "oh no, they are doomed, they are never going to get out of this one. its not like they are in 2-4 more movies that come after this. Its not like Anakin the entire rest of the franchise. Oh look they got out... man I was on the edge of my seat there for a second, didnt know if they make it."

At least with not pre-established characters... that doesnt have to be sarcasm. I actually DIDNT know, if Kanan was going to survive this episode. Or if Ezra was going to survive, I didnt think they would kill them off but its a possibilty, so fake outs and the like actually work. Also none of this jump around stuff that makes me feel like I missed somehting... again Continuety with in its own show told from start... to end not jumping around BIG + The whole only on Lothol thing, well some of it you can have issue with (like the jedi temple) but the rest, of course the life day stuff was there it was a trap for them and they are on Lothol. Cadet Training academies are probably every where, and with a crew like this if they went some where else before they could even opperate they would have to establish contacts and all other kinds of stuff that would take forever and reduce their efficiency, not to mention WHo is the most inexperienced member on the team? Ezra has great potential but his training is no where near complete. What is his best CURRENT asset. His knowledge of his home planet Lothol why take the group to the place where the most inexperienced member is useless rather then keeping every one where they can do good, and you dont need to scout out the planet, get a feel for the local imperial presence, set up contacts... when you have already done it.

For example for no particular reason the bad guys are all HQed there, it just so happens to be the location of a forgotten Jedi Temple and in the latest episode Grand Moff frikken Tarkin decided it was worth a visit. What next, Darth Vader? Emperor Palpatine decides to take a holiday? I wouldn't be surprised.

Its a shame that its not even funny... I suppose that its somewhat logical in the respect that Vader is the Empire's chief Jedi killer, and routinely enters the field to kill Jedi. But still. Do we really need Vader and Tarkin on Lothal?

Can't we just leave Lothal already!

Hopefully Vader orders a BDZ and is done with it. On the topic of Vader, I dislike his design, I realise they are going all Ralph McQuarrie but sometimes it's concept art for a reason, and I don't think his helmet shape works animated.

Nor does it really fit with what has been established by canon.

On the topic of ugly characters. Ahsoka, my god. What happened? How did we got from this brand of super special awesome to this fugly piece of... I don't even. I suppose its OK, buts its just disappointing, suppose it fits the theme. :rolleyes:

But Ahsoka is finally in Rebels, so I'll stop complaining.

But then again they killed off the Inquisitor... I assume they plan on bringing him back, because to be quite honest even with Ashley Ecklestein and James Earl Jones this show can't really survive the loss of a decent character.

Sorry for the negativity, and no I don't have anything positive to say! There is enough peppiness surrounding this show as it is. I guess I'm looking forward to Season 2, but lame looking Vader and Ahsoka are hard to get behind.

But seriously doesn't anyone else find that everything in TCW was cool and everything is Rebels is just lame? I do.

I guess I'm looking forward to Season 2

[...]

But seriously doesn't anyone else find that[...] everything is Rebels is just lame? I do.

One of these things is not like the other :confused:

Agree with you on the McQuarrie-esque look for Vader not quite working for me. Willing to give it a chance, but hoping they don't end up making Vader look incompetent as a character for the sake of the show (or make Ahsoka boring for that matter).

Edited by DarthDymond

Why's that? The logic makes sense, though it would probably fit better if they were purple.
I just find white a rather bland colour, unless its Imperial Knights, as it contrasts well with the red...

I also find it kinda of gimmicky if its supposed to be symbolic or something, they could at least try to be subtle.

P.S. Purple would be lame too, serious colour clash lawls.

One of these things is not like the other :confused:

Agree with you on the McQuarrie-esque look for Vader not quite working for me. Willing to give it a chance, but hoping they don't end up making Vader look incompetent (or make Ahsoka boring for that matter).

OK so I lied. :p

And yes, on both/all accounts.

Edited by Beniboybling