Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to Deal With Losing a Warzone

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How to Deal With Losing a Warzone

Greennunu
02.17.2012 , 02:38 PM | #21
or:
Spoiler
~Port Nowhere~
Keielita - Pyro Tech Bounty Hunter

solnar_xan
02.17.2012 , 02:39 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Yfelsung View Post
Hello Fellow PvP Ragers,

I see a lot of rage on these forums, and a lot of rage in the game, about losing PvP in PuGs. People get rolled by premades, or get stuck on a team of idiots and they lose. This is frustrating, I know.

Now obviously answer one is to form a premade, but some people don't want to do that or can't do it all the time.

I used to be a rager... okay, let's be fair, I still rage a little bit, sometimes.

Anyway, I used to be a rager but as I have aged I have learned some tricks to not raging while losing, and I want to share these with fellow PvP rageaholics in the hopes of making you a calmer PvPer.

Step 1) The Mantra

The mantra is something you repeat to yourself to remind yourself that the game doesn't matter. Each person may use a different mantra, as each person thinks differently, but the core idea of the mantra is to remind you that it doesn't matter.

Personally, I focus on the ultimate apathy inducing future event: the inevitable heat death of the universe.

My mantra goes something like this: "I am playing a game. A game made by a species that will one day be extinct, who live on a planet that will one day be smashed into dust, that obits a star that will one day likely explode, that's part of a galaxy that will one day not exist..." and I continue until I hit the heat death of the universe and suddenly losing in PvP just doesn't matter.

Eventually, you no longer need to ever actually repeat this (or very rarely) it just colours your view of most things, especially little things like games.

Step 2) Personal Performance

This is easy. Just look at each game as a chance to get medals, and to top charts. At the end of a game, if you have more overall damage than your entire team combined, you know it wasn't you who caused that lost. You can only be expected to play your best. If you're getting 9 or 10 medals, you're still pulling 1000+ valour and almost 100 commendations a LOSS.

Step 3) Turn off chat

Most of the time, you can tell if a game is a loss within about 30 seconds to a minute. Once a game goes south and it looks unlikely that it can be turned, just hide your chat box. Now as your team mates start playing "the blame game" you don't have to read their idiocy.

Step 4) Stop worrying about being "the guy"

Who's "the guy"? "The guy" is the last one on a point. Does he defend and lose out on medals (and therefore commendations and valour) or does he join the fray and get blamed for losing the point?

Well, here's the question, if you're already losing pretty good, what's the point of holding one point? What's the point of guarding a door when the enemy already beat your time? Why try to stop a ball carrier if you're the only one doing it and your team is off *********** around?

Yeah, so someone is going to blame you for leaving the point as the last guy. **** 'em. If you already followed step 3, you can't see their chat anyway and, depending on how deep your apathy is running from Step 1, the guy blaming you is nothing but star dust combined into a form that's mostly a bag of meat and fouled water.

That's it really. This can be applied to things other than SWTOR too. It really can be applied to life in general.

epic sarcasm +15

Stradoo
02.17.2012 , 02:40 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Zaodon View Post
Saying that quitting a video game is a reflection of your core, is like saying Harrison Ford is a murderer because Han Solo shot first.
Yah. You don't get it. Have a nice life zippy.

Yfelsung
02.17.2012 , 02:40 PM | #24
Saying that quitting a video game is a reflection of your core, is like saying Harrison Ford is a murderer because Han Solo shot first.
I don't think that's quite accurate.

An actor playing a character has no actual reflection on that actor's personality.

A person playing a game and then quitting, on the other hand, does reflect the person's personality.

Remember as a kid there was the kid who quit Monopoly the minute things turned against him? Remember how people stopped playing Monopoly with him?

Quitting a losing warzone is only a few steps down from flipping over a checker board the minute you're forced to king your opponent.
MHORDSUNG SOULGRINDER, LEGATUS OF PHOBOS LEGION

At the end of days the dragon stands tall and with limitless rage it illuminates all.

Zaodon
02.17.2012 , 02:42 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Stradoo View Post
Yah. You don't get it. Have a nice life zippy.
You think how you roleplay a character reflects on your real-life personality, and you say *I'M* the one that doesn't get it?

Yeah, ok. Good luck with that.

Stradoo
02.17.2012 , 02:43 PM | #26
You think how you roleplay a character reflects on your real-life personality, and you say *I'M* the one that doesn't get it?

Yeah, ok. Good luck with that.
Oh, quitting is now a ROLE?

KungpowSalmon
02.17.2012 , 02:44 PM | #27
Your response here is a very clear reflection of your core. The other guy is right...you don't get it.

BacklashEH
02.17.2012 , 02:48 PM | #28
Great post. I hadn't actually thought of 3, I usually just put the mouthpieces on ignore.

BacklashEH
02.17.2012 , 02:49 PM | #29

An actor playing a character has no actual reflection on that actor's personality.

A person playing a game and then quitting, on the other hand, does reflect the person's personality.

Remember as a kid there was the kid who quit Monopoly the minute things turned against him? Remember how people stopped playing Monopoly with him?

Quitting a losing warzone is only a few steps down from flipping over a checker board the minute you're forced to king your opponent.

That's freakin hilarious

KungpowSalmon
02.17.2012 , 02:51 PM | #30

+1

Very well said. In fact I'm going to use the last sentence for my sig