Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Darkness / Kinetic Combat Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Darkness / Kinetic Combat Set Bonuses and Tactical Items
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
04.16.2019 , 09:54 AM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Darkness and Kinetic Combat Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:
  1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:
  • Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.
Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Eloi_BG
04.16.2019 , 11:12 AM | #2
Some ideas for tactical items (not putting numbers in cause I don't know how to balance the game):
- Kinetic ward gives defense instead of shield
- Change shroud to an evasion instead of a resist (M/R vs F/T damage)
- 3 stacks Depredating Volts heals (like the good old days) instead of giving DR
- Change the mechanics of discharge (maybe move from AOE to single target to make it relevant when fighting one thing)
- Any way (can't think of any) to sacrifice defense for offense

Set bonus:
- Taunt cooldown reduce is still useful in some situations and I would keep that somewhere
- Some way to reduce defensive ability cooldowns upon taking damage
- Flat DR increase (against all or certain types of damage)
- Movement speed increase
Nemio the Acceptable Player

FlameYOL
04.16.2019 , 11:14 AM | #3
Saber Overcharge grants stacks of healing darkness which heal you everytime you get hit, alternatively the tactical could just change the utility and have that be tied to overcharge saber instead.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

ArgonVesher
04.16.2019 , 11:22 AM | #4
Well, I will be the first to throw my 2 cents in. Shadox from Darkest Hour here, thank you for the opportunity first of all to listen to us and ask for our feedback. It is really appreciated.

I've played since open Beta began and have seen the ups and downs that have come with the game and the various decisions made. One of the ones I was disappointed with was the consolidating of the skill trees into a more defined path more or less which removed some of the customization. Now I understand why this happened as a lot of people weren't properly taking what they should in order to best utilize their class and spec but I'm someone that reads and studies and experiments to figure out what will work best for the group I am in or going solo. So to bring back some customization is very welcome!

As a tank primarily, I would like something that does some self-healing like we used to have and either makes our AOEs a bit stronger damage wise or adds something to them, like short CCing or something of that sort. Deprecading (sp) volts used to heal and that was the reason we built our stacks up before using it. It gave us more to help ourselves and allowed the healers a potential break to help the raid or group a bit.

Also, moves that can increase our damage absorption or avoidance altogether would be a close second in my opinion or even gives more absorption for the group. It doesn't need to be a lot as our stats are already pretty decent but a tank should be absorbing that damage a lot and I know on some bosses, even with research, I still feel like paper. I don't think we should be OP by any stretch but I do want to feel more like "I can handle this guys, you do the damage to take him down." Tactics are still important as they should be so it's a balancing thing. I know bosses are super in their own right but man do I wish tanks could interrupt or better avoid some of their moves more often because that is our job.

Keep up the good work and thanks again for this opportunity to tell you my thoughts!
"When the going gets tough, the tough blow away the opposition." - REX, Book I of the FFC

Botho
04.16.2019 , 04:14 PM | #5
Tactical:
  • At Three stacks Depredating Volts hit's all targets effected by Discharge.
  • Force pull pulls the target and all targets within 30 meters under the effect of Recklessness but consumes all charges or Recklessness.
  • Phantom Stride's range is set to >5 meters but when activated causes you to negate the next hit you take.

Set Bonus:

Small self heal on Depradating volts for each target it hits on full stacks.

Ubarave
04.16.2019 , 05:28 PM | #6
Tactical Ability Suggestion:

Revamp Recklessness / Force Potency by adding one of these effects:

Choose between :

1. Negate all damage taken (from all sources) for 5 seconds. After 5 seconds, the negated damage will be applied as a DoT that ticks over 10 seconds (not cleansable).

2. Adds 1 charge of [ChargeName]. [ChargeName] causes your next attack to apply [DebuffName] to your target for 10 seconds.
- [DebuffName] (Debuff on Enemy): All incoming attacks heal the attacker for [X]% of the attack's damage. (opposite of reflect)

This would make a tank choose between personal survivability, or raid survivability.

PrometheanDeath
04.17.2019 , 08:04 AM | #7
Originally was in my deception post, but placing it where it belongs.

Darkness
-Depredating volts now deals damage to all targets 5m from the initial at 50% reduced damage. Not sure if this is applicable, but it would hit the main target for full damage, but any targets it bounces to would be hit with the reduced amount, mainly to increase the AoE damage sin tanks can do without having to sacrifice their dark protection
-Whenever you shield an attack reduce the CD of wither by 1 second, rotational change that also increases DR due to current set bonus, and increases AoE damage.
-Force pull now has no minimum range, but within 10m you interrupt the target and root them for 3 seconds, most interesting one, as the other 2 tanks have extra interrupts on charge, yet sins don't. Both a pvp a pve application that might also reduce force pull's CD for extra force pull threat during boss fights.
-For every target hit by whither increase your DR by 2% for 3 seconds, just a different approach to the current set bonus as it is an AoE skill

ianakred
04.17.2019 , 11:44 PM | #8
How about bringing back the old set bonuses:-

(Old 2 piece set bonus) Increases shield chance by an additional 5% during Dark Ward/Kinetic Ward.

(Old 4 piece Set Bonus) Increases Elemental, Internal, Kinetic and Energy damage reduction by 2%.

I think bringing back the old self healing tank game play would be very popular, Maybe something like this:-

While Dark Ward/Kinetic Ward is active you are healed by X% of your maxium health every second, additional when you gain a charge of Dark Bulwark/Kinetic Bulwark the heal increases by X% per charge.

Also maybe make tanking relics more useful for example, reducing the cooldown timer of certain defensive abilities (eg. Deflection, Force Shrould/Reslience).

MrEndymion
04.18.2019 , 02:27 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Eloi_BG View Post
Some ideas for tactical items (not putting numbers in cause I don't know how to balance the game):
- Kinetic ward gives defense instead of shield
- Change shroud to an evasion instead of a resist (M/R vs F/T damage)
- 3 stacks Depredating Volts heals (like the good old days) instead of giving DR
- Change the mechanics of discharge (maybe move from AOE to single target to make it relevant when fighting one thing)
- Any way (can't think of any) to sacrifice defense for offense

Set bonus:
- Taunt cooldown reduce is still useful in some situations and I would keep that somewhere
- Some way to reduce defensive ability cooldowns upon taking damage
- Flat DR increase (against all or certain types of damage)
- Movement speed increase
Hya! Long time no see!
On to the content, here, first, I'll start with the set bonuses. I agree, keeping the taunt reductions is an idea to consider. It's useful at times, particularly for the quicker triple taunt opener and for any aggro drops, and for PvP, it's pretty good, helps tanks do their job better. And for your second bullet point, are you thinking of something like Lightning Reflexes, but possibly for Overcharge and Deflection as well? If so, that's an idea. I also agree with your third point, this was our pre-3.x Set Bonus and it was rather useful, particularly the internal and elemental damage part. I'd also favor a movement speed increase.
Onto tactical items. I agree with the DV heal. If it is a 2% per tick heal like it was in the old days, it'd still be powerful, but not ridiculously slow, like in early 1.x. I'd also appreciate a tactical item that lets us speed up the channel of DV, at the cost of some of its damage, much like Madness Sorcerors get with Force Ligthning. This helps overcome the problem of having to stop your highest DPS ability to pop a cooldown. We're the only tanks that have this problem, and while it's a small one, a way to overcome it would be nice. And I'll have to brainstorm ideas of how to increase our damage but reduce our defenses.
http://www.swtor.com/r/csdPWl Referral link and a muffin button... click it.... you get a free blueberry muffin
Ahz, GM of <R O G U E> and Wrestling Nerd.

RaanJassa
04.19.2019 , 03:07 PM | #10
In the Star Wars movies, force users have the ability to deflect blaster shots and potentially redirect them at a target, This is a game of course, so all the shots can not be deflected/redirected, but it does feel like it should be more common.

I personally feel all the force user classes should have some ability to do this, with melee being able to do it more often than rdps /healers, and the tanks more often than melee. However, I have to post this someplace, and it makes more sense to post this in the tanking section than anywhere else, so....

I also realize the Guard/Juggs/Shadws/Sins have an ability that can be used over a short time which deflects 100%. I'm not proposing anything that will minimize nor negate those abilities,

I propose 2/4/6 bonuses that do the following:
- 2 set bonus that has an increase X% chance to deflect white damage and a smaller y% increase to redirect back to the target,
- 4 set bonus that has an increase X% chance to deflect special damage and a smaller y% increase to redirect back to the target,
- 6 set bonus that has an increase X% chance to deflect AoE damage and a smaller y% increase to redirect back to the target,