Ok, we are now in March and let's see how our wonderful SSSP has evolved...

LordZore

Okay, first, a disclaimer. I LOVED Star Wars X-wing and it's sequels. Rebuilding the special editions and X-wing alliance to work on modern operating systems is one of the things I really, really, really want to see in the future.

Right, so, with that out of the way? GSF doesn't work with a joystick. Alright, look, let me explain. GSF has a rather large firing arc for your weapons, and targeting is based on moving the cursor right over the enemy ship (or where that enemy ship is going to be in a second). Compare that to X-wing. You fired at exactly the center of your view. This is the same sort of problem controllers have in FPSs. The mouse remains the single best implement for moving a targeting reticule onto a small target with speed an precision (This is why PC vs. Console games haven't been made. One attempt to make one resulted in the PC players completely and utterly CRUSHING the console players simply because Mouse+Keyboard is better suited for the FPS system). Actually, GSF is more like a flying 3rd person shooter than a traditional flight sim.

Ultimately, I hate to say it, but Bioware's resources are better spent on quality of life improvements and balancing GSF than Joystick-support because, quite simply, Joystick support for GSF isn't worth it.

Edited by KorinHyvek

Okay, first, a disclaimer. I LOVED Star Wars X-wing and it's sequels. Rebuilding the special editions and X-wing alliance to work on modern operating systems is one of the things I really, really, really want to see in the future.

Right, so, with that out of the way? GSF doesn't work with a joystick. Alright, look, let me explain. GSF has a rather large firing arc for your weapons, and targeting is based on moving the cursor right over the enemy ship (or where that enemy ship is going to be in a second). Compare that to X-wing. You fired at exactly the center of your view. This is the same sort of problem controllers have in FPSs. The mouse remains the single best implement for moving a targeting reticule onto a small target with speed an precision (This is why PC vs. Console games haven't been made. One attempt to make one resulted in the PC players completely and utterly CRUSHING the console players simply because Mouse+Keyboard is better suited for the FPS system). Actually, GSF is more like a flying 3rd person shooter than a traditional flight sim.

Ultimately, I hate to say it, but Bioware's resources are better spent on quality of life improvements and balancing GSF than Joystick-support because, quite simply, Joystick support for GSF isn't worth it.

+1

/5char

i don't recall joystick, or more aptly Flight Stick control ever being promised, a citation is needed for that claim... anyway Flight Stick in a 3rd Person Shooter just isn't going to fly, i've never played a shooter with a stick and don't get why anyone would... Flight Sims on the other hand, bring on the Stick, but shooters? lol...

Oh no! It still sucks as there STILL isn't joystick support that was promised. Failed again....

A joystick will not make you any better. If you suck with a mouse, your likely to suck even more with a joystick.

Using the mouse in GSF works well. I remember playing TIE Fighter with a mouse before I bought a joystick. In order to do a 180 degree turn you had to roll the mouse from the top of the pad to the bottom at least twice I think. It felt like cleaning a pan after something got burned in it. Edited by Shoraan

Dude I need you in my guild mumble when I'm trying to explain what you just did. Most of them say 'oh i wont play gsf until joystick'. And as a fellow PC X-wing (circa 1993?) I fully concur with your objective and rational critique.