2018 Expertise Main PVP Stat Is Essential

Icykill_

One more thing to consider is augments. Unless you really think you need a small increase in secondary stats, using augments pre65 can really hurt your health pool, main stats and in some cases your other secondary. As things currently are I wouldn't equip augments till 65.

DAMN do I hate that. I used to love & nurture lowbie augs.

Now whenever I craft some equipment and it crits and comes with an augment slot I go... sheesh... whatever. :mad::( :(

So you think the bolsterizer on fleet is somewhat reliable still?

Edited by BenduKundalini

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DAMN do I hate that. I used to love & nurture lowbie augs.

Now whenever I craft some equipment and it crits and comes with an augment slot I go... sheesh... whatever. :mad::( :(

So you think the bolsterizer on fleet is somewhat reliable still?

I wouldn't say realiable. But it is a good indicator.

• 4 weeks later...
Seeing as I only PVP I don't have any 192 PVE gear to test. Most of you will have read my old gear analysis pre 4.0 regarding secondary gear stats as you get closer to the lvl cap, which is now 65. This still applies, but not as much as it did.

"If" you can use 192 gear at 55 and still get 1936 expertise and it not affect your secondary stat or even main stats, then by all means use them.

Couple of things to look for when testing them pre60

First get some lower than 55 PVE gear, ie some 52-53 blues/greens. Don't use any lvl 50 gear, including lvl 50 PVP gear, it either doesn't bolster or not properly.

Then watch your main stats when switching between 192 to lower lvl gear. If you see a drastic negative change then stick with the lower stuff.

Also watch your secondary stats, you may also see a drastic change in them.

Of course check these at the bolster terminal on the fleet to start with. But please note at this stage it is still not working 100%, the only way to really see is to look at the stats in a PVP WZ.

One more thing to consider is augments. Unless you really think you need a small increase in secondary stats, using augments pre65 can really hurt your health pool, main stats and in some cases your other secondary. As things currently are I wouldn't equip augments till 65.

Lastly, I've not bothered with switching gear since lvl 35. I've found lower lvl gear works exceptionally well until lvl 60/61 when you can use lvl 190 green gear. Usually before lvl 60 I keep my gear 6-8 lvls below me.

*** note on older PVP gear pre65 ***

Except weapons and augments, all PVP gear pre 65 "DOES NOT" work as well as 190 green PVE gear.

To optimise stats pre 65, replace all Armor, mods, enhancements with 190 greens, "keep" your PVP weapons as PVP weapon hits, mods, enhancements, expertise crystals and you will get 2018 expertise pre 65. Try and replace ear and implants with greens too, but if you can't find them, just keep the PVP ones.

I tried Devoted Allies gear on a lvl 55 toon and expertise as shown on Bolsterizer on Gav Daragon gives 403 and shifts lvl to 60. Swapping out with 162 gear increases some, but I don't have a full set to try this with yet. Is the bolsterizer still broken? I haven't jumped into a wz yet.

I tried Devoted Allies gear on a lvl 55 toon and expertise as shown on Bolsterizer on Gav Daragon gives 403 and shifts lvl to 60. Swapping out with 162 gear increases some, but I don't have a full set to try this with yet. Is the bolsterizer still broken? I haven't jumped into a wz yet.

To answer your question about the terminal. Yes it's still not working. The only way to be sure is to check stats in a WZ after you enter.

Also don't use any old PVP gear below 162, it doesn't bolster. But even with 162 PVP gear you should only use the weapons and possibly the relics if you want the bonuses.

The best gear to wear below lvl 65 is PVE gear. You can even use gear much lower than your lvl now. It's only when you go above lvl 60 that you should be trying to min max secondary stats.

Just remember, Do Not ever use PVE gear above 190.

I am not using my old characters anymore , and am getting new pvp gear pretty quickly, but it saddens me that people are still so damned immature in pvp and will harass you like no tomorrow if you do not have perfectly min maxed pvp gear.

I am not using my old characters anymore , and am getting new pvp gear pretty quickly, but it saddens me that people are still so damned immature in pvp and will harass you like no tomorrow if you do not have perfectly min maxed pvp gear.

Usually people don't have an issue except in the following situations

- you are wearing PVE gear that is too high to bolster. ie , nothing above 190

- you aren't at least wearing PVE 158 items at 65 while you are gearing (but 190s are easy to get and should be used)

- you put expertise items mixed into PVE shells

- you don't equipe crystals or you put the wrong crystals in weapons. ie power in PVP weapons or expertise in PVE weapons

- you don't have every slot filled

- you have old PVP gear on that doesn't bolster

- you have empty shells equiped (don't laugh, I've seen this at lvl 65)

- you have completely the wrong stats for your class. ie defence, shield for a Sorc. Etc

- you don't have 1936 expertise (any and all of the above will reduce expertise)

Basically while you are farming your PVP gear you should have 1936 expertise. You should have crystals in weapons. You should have the correct stats for your class.

Not having those isn't really acceptable after people have read this thread.

If you see people with gearing problems, guide them to this thread or try and offer some polite advise. Just be prepared to get raged at a lot because there are way more people with the wrong gear/expertise/missing crystals who won't listen and abuse you, than there are people who abuse others with the wrong gear.

Usually people don't have an issue except in the following situations

- you are wearing PVE gear that is too high to bolster. ie , nothing above 190

- you aren't at least wearing PVE 158 items at 65 while you are gearing (but 190s are easy to get and should be used)

- you put expertise items mixed into PVE shells

- you don't equipe crystals or you put the wrong crystals in weapons. ie power in PVP weapons or expertise in PVE weapons

- you don't have every slot filled

- you have old PVP gear on that doesn't bolster

- you have empty shells equiped (don't laugh, I've seen this at lvl 65)

- you have completely the wrong stats for your class. ie defence, shield for a Sorc. Etc

- you don't have 1936 expertise (any and all of the above will reduce expertise)

Basically while you are farming your PVP gear you should have 1936 expertise. You should have crystals in weapons. You should have the correct stats for your class.

Not having those isn't really acceptable after people have read this thread.

If you see people with gearing problems, guide them to this thread or try and offer some polite advise. Just be prepared to get raged at a lot because there are way more people with the wrong gear/expertise/missing crystals who won't listen and abuse you, than there are people who abuse others with the wrong gear.

It takes about an hour to get a full set of pvp gear, now, and in that hour I got harassed to no end. People rage quit, people insulted me, and so forth and so on. Even though I was doing BETTER than them with the insta 60 pve gear. :rolleyes:

It takes about an hour to get a full set of pvp gear, now, and in that hour I got harassed to no end. People rage quit, people insulted me, and so forth and so on. Even though I was doing BETTER than them with the insta 60 pve gear. :rolleyes:

LoL. Probably people who can't PVP well with out the best gear, so they think no one else can either.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, apologies if this has been answered somewhere previously but if so I missed it. My lvl 65 Sentinel has 3 questions:

Are you saying that I should be in a full set of exactly 190 green gear, including relics, implants and earpiece? Can I wear a lower rated set with the same bolster effect?

Should my weapons also be exactly 190 with a PVP crystal in each?

Should I replace my gear one piece at a time with the 204 PvP set gear or should I not wear any of this PvP gear until I have the full set?

Thanks

OK, apologies if this has been answered somewhere previously but if so I missed it. My lvl 65 Sentinel has 3 questions:

Are you saying that I should be in a full set of exactly 190 green gear, including relics, implants and earpiece? Can I wear a lower rated set with the same bolster effect?

Should my weapons also be exactly 190 with a PVP crystal in each?

Should I replace my gear one piece at a time with the 204 PvP set gear or should I not wear any of this PvP gear until I have the full set?

Thanks

Icys asked me to try and help with this thread as she is playing less and less.

I'll answer these in point form

1. You can wear other items below 190.

2. 190 is the max cap on PVE items till you start losing bolster and expertise.

3. I try to stay with in 5-6 gear lvls. As long as your gear isn't below that you should bolster ok, but not as high as you possible can with 190 items.

4. Do not put PVP (expertise crystals) in PVE weapons. It negates the expertise and it won't bolster. Just use PVE crystals, probably power for a sent.

6. Don't ever mix expertise Armor, mods, enhancements, barrels, hilts in the same shells as PVE stuff. Once again this negates the expertise and doesn't bolster.

7. You can wear PVP items at the same time. ie, you can have a 190 chest piece and PVP hands, legs etc. So start equipping items as soon as you can.

I find the best order to do things is -

1. Weapons so you can get 2018 expertise quickly

2. Relics so you can get the benefit.

3. Armor for gear boosts

4. Ear and implants last

• 1 month later...

Icykill_

So it's important to still upgrade your gear as you lvl, but you don't want to or need to do it every lvl... Starting at about lvl 21, I try to keep my gear about 4 lvls below my actual lvl as this Bolsters the best for secondary stats.

Great guide btw ! I have 2 questions basically...which is better to gear with..

1) Premium (and which mods and enhancements) currently using Lethal Mod (no letter) and Adept Enhancement

2) Prototype (crafted)

3) Artifact (crafted)

my expertise is at 1936 so I am hitting that mark, I just feel that my gearing is out of whack...or is it class based...ie does being squishy play a role in pvp? and yes I understand skill plays a major role and I take that into consideration ;)

can anyone elaborate on this? any help would be appreciated as I would like to be viable to my team instead of feeling like I am hindering them.

Honestly, in my opinion it's a waste of time and comms/creditsto min/max bolster. Gearing 204 is so easy you'll have it in a couple of matches even if you only started at 65.

Sorry, I should have been more specific about the question. I meant while leveling in pvp from level 21+

Keep in mind I do have the lvl 10 package you are given..earpiece, implants, relics.

So which is better to use or does it matter?

1) Premium mods from supplies (currently using Versatile Armoring, Lethal Mod (no letter) Adept Enhancement

2) Prototype Mods (crafted)

3) Artifact Mods (crafted)

Sorry, I should have been more specific about the question. I meant while leveling in pvp from level 21+

Keep in mind I do have the lvl 10 package you are given..earpiece, implants, relics.

1) Premium mods from supplies (currently using Versatile Armoring, Lethal Mod (no letter) Adept Enhancement

Like I said, I don't think you need to min/max your gear. I don't know if bolster even differentiates at such a level, but I do know it doesn't matter.

This whole DvL event I've been using the xp boost gear without any mods or enhancements, and I have still done just fine in terms of DPS. In my opinion, it's a waste of time trying to keep your gear up to date (and the damage increase will be minuscule).

Hi, I'm Icykills other half and she's asked me to answer any gearing questions while she takes a break from the game.

So here goes :)

Now when you are pre 60, bolster is doing a lot more of the work for you. So unless you are also questing and doing FPs, you don't really need prototype or artifact gear, Greens are just fine.

If you are DPS, then you are using the correct items, versatile armoring, lethal mod, adapt enhancement.

What's interesting is that the closer you get to 65, the less bolster works for you. It can get tricky between 56-64. If you don't upgrade, then you'll start doing less damage because your stats are slowly dropping. This isn't a huge issue as it's only 8 levels. But it can get annoying when you've been able to hit harder at lvl 35, than lvl 61.

Icy and I follow this simple system now. We keep the lvl 10 blue ear, implants, relics that you get free with your first WZ quest. We use those till lvl 56, then equipe new ear and implants. Which ones depends on what's available on the GTN and at what price. If there isn't anything that is reasonable, we just keep the lvl 10 items till lvl 65.

For the armoring, mods, enhancements, hilts and barrels, we just keep upgrading every 6-8 levels using crystals at the fleet vendors. When we get to 60, we just get a full set of 190 green items.

Also pre 30, you dont need to upgrade much, maybe just once. You lvl so fast pre 20, that upgrading multiple times before then is a waste.

Like I said, I don't think you need to min/max your gear. I don't know if bolster even differentiates at such a level, but I do know it doesn't matter.

This whole DvL event I've been using the xp boost gear without any mods or enhancements, and I have still done just fine in terms of DPS. In my opinion, it's a waste of time trying to keep your gear up to date (and the damage increase will be minuscule).

The XP gear you are using, is it the stuff with Presence on it? I do know that gear wasn't bolstering properly. Do you know what your expertise is when using it. I've seen people fully geared in it and only have 1600 expertise.

You've said you are doing just fine in terms of DPS, but imagine how much more you could be doing if you have full expertise. Maybe you don't really need the gear because you are skilled enough.

But it's not a waste of time for most people to gear correctly. I've see so many people who tell me they do just fine in pvp with the wrong gear on and then I look at their numbers at the end. Most of the time they could be doing another 10-20% and also not dying as much.

When people don't gear correctly and don't have the skill to close the gap, the rest of the team has to try and carry them for that extra 10-20% they could have been doing.

The XP gear you are using, is it the stuff with Presence on it? I do know that gear wasn't bolstering properly. Do you know what your expertise is when using it. I've seen people fully geared in it and only have 1600 expertise.

You've said you are doing just fine in terms of DPS, but imagine how much more you could be doing if you have full expertise. Maybe you don't really need the gear because you are skilled enough.

But it's not a waste of time for most people to gear correctly. I've see so many people who tell me they do just fine in pvp with the wrong gear on and then I look at their numbers at the end. Most of the time they could be doing another 10-20% and also not dying as much.

When people don't gear correctly and don't have the skill to close the gap, the rest of the team has to try and carry them for that extra 10-20% they could have been doing.

It is the event gear. I get full 1936 from it though, even without mods or enhancements. I don't believe that with the way bolster works you'd gain a lot from min/maxing your midbies gear (although you should obviously have full expertise). Having low level mods in your gearbwill give you that, and full stats. The 10% (I'm being large here) damage increase from replacing mods every 4 levels etc. would be irrelevant in that level bracket because player skill is just lower.

Sure, if player skill was the same as in 65s then I would make sure to gear with the best mods, but as it is... I landed an 18k crit today with my carnage mara. In the xp boost gear. That pretty much sums up lowbies.

It is the event gear. I get full 1936 from it though, even without mods or enhancements. I don't believe that with the way bolster works you'd gain a lot from min/maxing your midbies gear (although you should obviously have full expertise). Having low level mods in your gearbwill give you that, and full stats. The 10% (I'm being large here) damage increase from replacing mods every 4 levels etc. would be irrelevant in that level bracket because player skill is just lower.

Sure, if player skill was the same as in 65s then I would make sure to gear with the best mods, but as it is... I landed an 18k crit today with my carnage mara. In the xp boost gear. That pretty much sums up lowbies.

Doesn't hurt to throw some green mods and enhancements into them. Even if they're just lvl 10s, they will bolster your stats better. It's not like they cost much, it's only 40 crystals.

You don't need to replace them every 4 Lvls if you don't want to min/max, but just having the slots filled will give an increase in stats.

Also don't assume player skill is any better at lvl 65, in some cases it's even worse. Especially those people who roll instant 60 toons.

That 18k on your Mara would have been from hitting someone with low expertise. Unless you are still under lvl 15, which actually lets you hit harder regardless of stats (as long as you have full expertise)

Lastly, you should also assume that someone will be better than you, so having those extra stats will help in those situations. There's nothing more frustrating for me than seeing someone with the XP gear and no mods call incs and then die 2 secs before I can stop a cap. And I think "if only they'd had those mods, I probably would have got there in time." ;)

Doesn't hurt to throw some green mods and enhancements into them. Even if they're just lvl 10s, they will bolster your stats better. It's not like they cost much, it's only 40 crystals.

You don't need to replace them every 4 Lvls if you don't want to min/max, but just having the slots filled will give an increase in stats.

Also don't assume player skill is any better at lvl 65, in some cases it's even worse. Especially those people who roll instant 60 toons.

That 18k on your Mara would have been from hitting someone with low expertise. Unless you are still under lvl 15, which actually lets you hit harder regardless of stats (as long as you have full expertise)

Lastly, you should also assume that someone will be better than you, so having those extra stats will help in those situations. There's nothing more frustrating for me than seeing someone with the XP gear and no mods call incs and then die 2 secs before I can stop a cap. And I think "if only they'd had those mods, I probably would have got there in time." ;)

Hah. I generally agree with your points, but I feel like in lowbies it's just not worth the effort. In midbies I didn't put them in because then I'd need to take them out for the next toon to use the armor...

The 18k crit was indeed against someone undergeared, and that wad my point. You run into so many of these guys in lowbies that if I'm dealing 1-2k less with my max hits it really doesn't matter.

As for the part about assuming someone is better than me - that's irrelevant in lowbies. Someone can be king of their class, but if I'm 39 and they're 12 they won't be killing me, unless they catch me in an extremely bad situation already. And sure, I could assume we're the same level and everything, but that is rare. Especially considering you only stay in the lowbies bracket for a couple of matches with all the xp boosts. You gain 6-7 levels from the intro, another couple from the first daily, and you're almost out of the bracket before you know it.

Edited by Greezt

Just to elaborate on what's here, I can confirm that you will be UNDER 1936 if you don't have every gear slot occupied and don't have any mods in any moddable pieces. Fortunately, if you do the Intro to PVP quest, you will get two relics, two implants, and an earpiece that will get you 1936 expertise for your next warzone.

Hi, I'm Icykills other half and she's asked me to answer any gearing questions while she takes a break from the game.

So here goes :)

Now when you are pre 60, bolster is doing a lot more of the work for you. So unless you are also questing and doing FPs, you don't really need prototype or artifact gear, Greens are just fine.

If you are DPS, then you are using the correct items, versatile armoring, lethal mod, adapt enhancement.

What's interesting is that the closer you get to 65, the less bolster works for you. It can get tricky between 56-64. If you don't upgrade, then you'll start doing less damage because your stats are slowly dropping. This isn't a huge issue as it's only 8 levels. But it can get annoying when you've been able to hit harder at lvl 35, than lvl 61.

Icy and I follow this simple system now. We keep the lvl 10 blue ear, implants, relics that you get free with your first WZ quest. We use those till lvl 56, then equipe new ear and implants. Which ones depends on what's available on the GTN and at what price. If there isn't anything that is reasonable, we just keep the lvl 10 items till lvl 65.

For the armoring, mods, enhancements, hilts and barrels, we just keep upgrading every 6-8 levels using crystals at the fleet vendors. When we get to 60, we just get a full set of 190 green items.

Also pre 30, you dont need to upgrade much, maybe just once. You lvl so fast pre 20, that upgrading multiple times before then is a waste.

thank you for the clarification and the in depth answer, very much appreciated ! now with the information you gave I can now be more viable to my team whether they want to bolster correctly or not. On a side note, I don't use the DvL armor at all since I can not control the armoring's (great for leveling, but not so great for pvp) ;)

• 1 month later...
On a side note, I don't use the DvL armor at all since I can not control the armoring's (great for leveling, but not so great for pvp) ;)

If you believe this, then you don't quite understand how bolster works. Bolster automatically raises you to an armor rating equal to that of an entry level 65 based on the class of armor you wear (light, medium, heavy.) So, regardless of what the armor rating is on the DvL armor, or the armor rating of the armorings you use, you'll be at an appropriate armor rating for an entry level 65 in the warzone. Regarding primary stats, it bolsters mastery and endurance pretty well (compared to tertiary stats, which aren't on armorings anyway) and makes those assumptions based on your discipline, so it gives tank specs more endurance than non-tank specs. Now, Bolster may be bugged from time to time, but the difference in health you would get from, say, using a resistive armoring over the default armoring you get from the DvL reward armor, is far outweighed by the experience gain you will get by wearing the armor.

There is absolutely zero downside to wearing the DvL armor in lowbies and midbies, as long as you have item modifications in every slot and gear in all 14 character slots (and therefore 1936 expertise). I've leveled at least five DvL toons through pvp using that set. I'll grant you that its possible your health/bolstered endurance may be lower using DvL armor rather than custom armor using Resistive armorings (I haven't checked myself), but the experience boost is so much more valuable. If your primary reason for doing so is for tanking, your ability to swap guard, use taunts, and eventual acquisition of better DCDs and passives through leveling is far more important than the difference in health by using resistive armorings.

I guess if you have old pre-3.0 pve set bonus armorings, that might make a noticeable difference in performance, that might offer a superior option over the XP gain. But we're talking about rating 146-186 stuff, which only a small portion of people will have and may not be usable for much of the leveling process (above rating 150 needs character level 55). Even still, that's only four armorings, leaving you well able to at least gain the 3-piece bonus from the DvL set.

Edited by phalczen

If you believe this, then you don't quite understand how bolster works.

There is absolutely zero downside to wearing the DvL armor in lowbies and midbies

I'm not sure if it has been fixed or not but last time I checked this was not quite true.

The embedded stats on the DvL stuff act like the armoring. However they were not receiving a stat bolster in the same way a normal armoring would. Instead you were just being given the embedded stats. On the pieces with endurance and mastery I was losing around 20 of each stat compared with normal gear. On the pieces with presence and endurance, as there is no embedded mastery, I was losing around 20 endurance and 70 mastery compared with normal gear. So the loss of stats was much more noticeable on the presence pieces.

Again, I don't know if it has been fixed or not as I have not played in a while, but I wrote a thread about it a some time ago here.

Edited by uppen

I'm not sure if it has been fixed or not but last time I checked this was not quite true.

I wrote a thread about it a some time ago here.

Good to know! I stand corrected, and I apologize for not having the most accurate info.

Still, I know for myself I'd rather get the XP. Another level is worth far more to me than 140 mastery and endurance.