PVE AoE Sniper: The Explosive Engineer [Video]

paowee

. I think once we see this fight on nightmare and people are really taking it seriously, as long as there aren't big mechanics changes I expect to see 6k+ eng parses.

And after spending a lot of time practicing W + JUMP + ROLL. Good for you if you can but i've given up on it. I'll say it's pushing the boundaries of the word "gimmick" to its limits :rolleyes:

Pre-requisite:

1. good latency

2. good fps

3. hours of practicing W+JUMP+ROLL

4. ???

5. profit.

You can now run Engineering on all bosses and bypass covered escape's mechanic :o

16m HM Terror From Beyond last boss (rolling in place)

2344 DPS Gorband - http://www.torparse.com/a/238960/15/0/Overview

> Void distrubance - 200 DPS

2325 DPS Roovin - http://www.torparse.com/a/246719/37/0/Overview

> Void disturbance - 0 DPS

> With Void disturbance - 2325+200 = ~2525 DPS

Practice, latency and FPS are determining factors (the last one being the major and only hindrance for me :mad::( ) Scatter bombs are fine in P1. However in P2 Roovin can do roll in place inside the platform 100% of the time by hitting w + [jump + roll] ~simultaneously

What about Kephess?

1 scatter bomb crits for 4.5k with adrenal+ba. 4500 x 5 = ~22,000

Non crit is around 2k with the power buffs.

4500x3 + 4500x3 + 4500x3 + 2000x3 + 2000x3 = 40500 + 12000 = 52500 damage in one roll.

Hit EMP Discharge to reset your roll and do it again for around 100,500 damage in 2 GCDs.

Edited by paowee

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are bis relics for this spec? power proc is obviously bis but what is second? and are there big difference between dmg proc, EW or BA?

And i dont count 2 pvp relics anymore.

Added

Analyzing Engineering Parses

Points to look out for. At 312 seconds you need to have:

~220 Electrified Railgun hits

~100 Scatter Bomb hits

~100 SoS hits or 25 uses

~145 Plasma probe hits

~110 Interrogation Probe hits

~80 Corrosive dart hits

~11 Explosive Probe hits

~20 Orbital if you use 2pc pvp bonus. 15 if you use pve bonus.

~Snipe, (Ambush) will vary depending on your energy management and implementation of your priority list

These numbers are actually impossible to attain, not just nearly impossible. You can't maintain 100% dot uptime while immediately using roll/orbital every cooldown. You either let the dots fall off to use orbital (and the roll, after it de-synchs from plasma probe), or you delay the roll and orbital to keep the dots up.

I didn't spend a ton of time on this, but here is a parse without ambush to compare. I tried to prioritize rolls a bit more, but I still got delayed (my missing roll hit 5sec after the 312 sec window i cropped this to).

What are bis relics for this spec? power proc is obviously bis but what is second? and are there big difference between dmg proc, EW or BA?

I would say underworld boundless ages and the arkanian elemental tech proc.

Power procs in all their glory, but they are not suited for lethality/hybrid/engi because of the random procs. We want controlled burst. For example, it would be a incredible waste to proc your relic while casting like.. corrosive dart followed by shatter shot and a snipe. Or for a hybrid while putting the dots up.

These numbers are actually impossible to attain, not just nearly impossible. You can't maintain 100% dot uptime while immediately using roll/orbital every cooldown. You either let the dots fall off to use orbital (and the roll, after it de-synchs from plasma probe), or you delay the roll and orbital to keep the dots up.

I didn't spend a ton of time on this, but here is a parse without ambush to compare. I tried to prioritize rolls a bit more, but I still got delayed (my missing roll hit 5sec after the 312 sec window i cropped this to).

They are impossible. That's why it's

Added Engineering's Kobayashi Maru
:)

http://www.torparse.com/a/248183/time/1369443495/1369443807/0/Overview

Evryday - Ability - Board

1 - Blaster Whip - 0

2 - Aimed Shot - 1

6 - Flourish Shot - 7

8 - Quick Shot - 0

30 - Flurry of Bolts - 36

40 - Contingency Charges - 43

10 - Sabotage Charge (Tech) - 11

76 - Bleeding (Tech) - 68

213 - Burning (Physical) - 212

20 - XS Freighter Flyby - 20

106 - Shock Charge (Tech) - 88

29 - Charged Burst - 36

141 - Incendiary Grenade - 135

24 - Speed Shot - 25.25

92 - Scatter Bombs - 97

Edited by paowee

I will want an UW BA + UW SA. I still do not have the UW SA. I also want to do UW BA + Ark SA but do not have enough comms.

Right now I am stuck with UW BA + Ark Internal dmg relic once the double PVP relics get nerfed :o

Edited by paowee

I would say underworld boundless ages and the arkanian elemental tech proc.

Power procs in all their glory, but they are not suited for lethality/hybrid/engi because of the random procs. We want controlled burst. For example, it would be a incredible waste to proc your relic while casting like.. corrosive dart followed by shatter shot and a snipe. Or for a hybrid while putting the dots up.

I think that if any spec would want the power proc it would be a DOT spec. This is due to the fact that, assuming dot's are always rolling, the proc should always be on cd. While I agree it may seem like a waste to have the relic proc on a CD, or CG (for a pure leth build that is), I find that the power proc is activated more in a 2min span than I can have the BA relic up. Thus giving an overall higher power rating for that time period.

But I do agree that for fights the require burst phases (Kephess the undying after the pillar drop) the BA would probably come out ahead, assuming its up every time you need it.

Got a few idea's for some bossfights that I use myself

Titan:

In every single place where the boss is you can roll against a stone (the ones you need to hide behind later on). This will make sure that all bombs are dropped in 1 place. No need to roll around as a crazy person. Only place where you cant do this is in the middle of the area (the last place where you need to kill Titan or it'll enrage).

Writhing Horror:

When she's in certain places you can roll against a wall (at least the 3rd burrow point in SM/HM works for that). Not sure if the starting position works and/or 2nd/4th place works too tbh.

The Terror:

- In 1st phase I tend to use my flyby on both tentacles. I know that this is unbalancing the dps on my side. Had not to much issues with it tbh. We never take voiddisturbance, so we could even it out if nessesary.

- When tauntrum phase kicks in I'm positioned close to a tank (1 gate away). I'm not sure if its working and/or worth the loss of dps, but I place my dome of love on the tank for the extra mitigation. Of course I only go in when he isnt the one having aggro. I know this isnt technicly a 2.0 thing.

A question I have:

- Is it worthwhile to get the Conq SA +UW SA relic? Or won't they stack properly?

EDIT: nv, i see that all SA effects are unstackable

Edited by fire-breath

Hello Paowee, I wanted to thank you for your guide on Engineering. I never thought I'd end up playing a mostly range DPS class at all (I love tanking and melee DPS), but your guide on the PTS inspired me to get a Gunslinger up to 55 right before 2.0 hit. After playing as a Saboteur for a while, I've found I don't focus as much as you do on keeping up Electrified stacks on the target and instead, worry about keeping my Rolls, Freighter/Orbital, other DoTs, and Speed Shot/Series of Shots on cooldown. I've come up with a set of 3 roughly 20 second rotations I use.

For the sake of simplicity, I'm going to use the term -> Filler -> to denote a choice of abilities to use. Filler consists of your basic auto-attack (Flurry of Bolts/Rifle Shot), Quick/Overload Shot, Flourish/Shatter Shot, or extra Charged Bursts/Snipe (for burn phases). If your team has no one else to apply the 20% armor debuff, use Flourish/Shatter Shot every 2nd rotation. The set of 3 rotations is as follows:

1) Freighter Flyby --> Incendiary Grenade --> Shock Charge --> Vital Shot --> Speed Shot --> Aimed Shot --> Charged Burst --> Filler --> Sabotage Charge --> Speed Shot

2) Incendiary Grenade --> Shock Charge --> Vital Shot --> Filler --> Filler --> Speed Shot --> Aimed Shot --> Charged Burst --> Filler --> Filler --> Speed Shot

3) Incendiary Grenade --> Shock Charge --> Vital Shot --> Filler --> Sabotage Charge --> Speed Shot --> Aimed Shot --> Charged Burst --> Freighter Flyby.

When it comes to Rolling, I simply use it as soon as possible over any other skill listed if I can maximize the damage on it and hopefully not get myself killed.

One other point I'd like to mention that people may not be aware of is that the skill Hot/Calculated Pursuit that gives us 6 seconds of free Quick/Overload Shot is immediately triggered and then removed by Rolling. I'm fairly sure this is a bug, but until it gets fixed, it's something we have to take into account.

Edited by Vaidinah

And after spending a lot of time practicing W + JUMP + ROLL. Good for you if you can but i've given up on it. I'll say it's pushing the boundaries of the word "gimmick" to its limits :rolleyes:

I tried for a while and just gave up. I can do it on the fleet, but in a raid? No good.

By the way, where's roovin's kephess parse? That bar keeps getting higher... :)

I tried for a while and just gave up. I can do it on the fleet, but in a raid? No good.

By the way, where's roovin's kephess parse? That bar keeps getting higher... :)

If you tick the box ''Use Quickslots On Key Press" in Controls tab, you will find that pressing Spacebar + roll at the same time works almost always. I tend to press roll key 0.1 sec earlier than jump. I rarely miss one, unless I'm laggin bad.

• 2 weeks later...
If you tick the box ''Use Quickslots On Key Press" in Controls tab, you will find that pressing Spacebar + roll at the same time works almost always. I tend to press roll key 0.1 sec earlier than jump. I rarely miss one, unless I'm laggin bad.
Back from my F2P hiatus lol. I dont think he wants to do it. He likes MM too much now

Hello Paowee

For the sake of simplicity, I'm going to use the term -> Filler -> to denote a choice of abilities to use. Filler consists of your basic auto-attack (Flurry of Bolts/Rifle Shot), Quick/Overload Shot, Flourish/Shatter Shot, or extra Charged Bursts/Snipe (for burn phases). If your team has no one else to apply the 20% armor debuff, use Flourish/Shatter Shot every 2nd rotation. The set of 3 rotations is as follows:

1) Freighter Flyby --> Incendiary Grenade --> Shock Charge --> Vital Shot --> Speed Shot --> Aimed Shot --> Charged Burst --> Filler --> Sabotage Charge --> Speed Shot

2) Incendiary Grenade --> Shock Charge --> Vital Shot --> Filler --> Filler --> Speed Shot --> Aimed Shot --> Charged Burst --> Filler --> Filler --> Speed Shot

3) Incendiary Grenade --> Shock Charge --> Vital Shot --> Filler --> Sabotage Charge --> Speed Shot --> Aimed Shot --> Charged Burst --> Freighter Flyby.

When it comes to Rolling, I simply use it as soon as possible over any other skill listed if I can maximize the damage on it and hopefully not get myself killed.

Yeah those look good man. However i prefer to use SoS a lot so i end up using 2 abilities instead of 3 before SoS. SoS is your highest single target rotation ability so i want to keep it on CD as much as possible. I havent been raiding for several weeks but i think you guys are right in that you include Aimed Shot and Ambush into your rotation. I dont use Ambush in raids because of the long cast time but im taking a 2nd look at it because its very good DPE ability compared to Snipe.

Also a tip to maximize DPS is that:

Whenever you have Adrenaline Probe coming up/available, be sure to do a Snipe spam just before popping your AP. After you do the max dps burst opener (you will see that there is a snipe spam rotation towards the end. You can get in 3 Snipes in a row (or maybe 4?) before SoS comes back up. So Snipe Snipe Snipe (maybe another Snipe) -> AP -> SoS (back to normal single target rotation).

I've read some questions about Aimed Shot / Ambush before and i've updated the OP:

Priority list - Single Target:

Percentage of damage done http://i.imgur.com/am54RnT.png (3328 parse)

1. Shatter Shot Flourish Shot
  2. Covered Escape Hightail It
  3. Series of Shots* Speed Shot
  4. Orbital Strike* XS Freighter Flyby
  5. Plasma Probe* Incendiary Grenade
  6. Interrogation Probe Shock Charge
  7. Explosive Probe Sabotage Charge
  8. Corrosive Dart Vital Shot
  9. Ambush*** / Snipe Aimed Shot*** / Charged Burst
  10. Overload Shot Quick Shot when repositioning to maintain 3x Electrified Railgun Blazing Speed stacks

*** there are 2 options for Ambush / Aimed Shot, use it on cooldown and treat it like SoS, or use it as a DPS filler when all your DoTs are up.

As you can see here http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=637291

Engineering/Saboteur

1. Aeralos - Gunslinger - Saboteur 5/36/5 - 3425

Log Link: http://www.torparse.com/a/236380/tim...426/0/Overview

2.Evrydayimsmggln - Gunslinger - Saboteur 5/36/5 - 3342.39

Log Link: http://www.torparse.com/a/248183/tim...795/0/Overview

3. Fenrir - Gunslinger - Saboteur-3276.59

Log Link: http://www.torparse.com/a/232062/tim...0/Damage+Dealt

they used Ambush / Aimed Shot a lot. I'd personally use Ambush as a DPS filler when all my DoTs are up, but since i did not test it extensively I'll defer to these guys for how to best use this ability.

1) on cd?

2) when 3 dots are up? (PP,IP,CD / IG,SC,VS)

3) when ALL dots are up including SoS / SS on cd? (including 3xER / 3xBS)

editted some stuff as well..

FURTHER READING:

Edited by paowee

A question I have:

- Is it worthwhile to get the Conq SA +UW SA relic? Or won't they stack properly?

EDIT: nv, i see that all SA effects are unstackable

It's been nerfed! iirc. Get UW BA / UW SA imo. A good sniper (forgot his name:( ) swears by UW BA and Arkanian BA too.

I've read some questions about Aimed Shot / Ambush before and i've updated the OP:

As you can see here http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=637291

they used Ambush / Aimed Shot a lot. I'd personally use Ambush as a DPS filler when all my DoTs are up, but since i did not test it extensively I'll defer to these guys for how to best use this ability.

1) on cd?

2) when 3 dots are up? (PP,IP,CD / IG,SC,VS)

3) when ALL dots are up including SoS / SS on cd? (including 3xER / 3xBS)

My Gunslinger is Aeralos and I listed my rotations in my previous post so I don't consider Aimed Shot/Ambush to be a filler skill for me. I think it's a great skill for energy management and decent damage (if you are above 60 energy before using it) and I try to use it after almost every Speed Shot/Series of Shots (only exception is rotation #2).

However, it is low in my priority list as Rolling, Orbital, our 4 DoTs, Shatter Shot, and Series of shots are all more important IMO. To answer your question specifically, I use Aimed Shot/Ambush like in example #3.

My Gunslinger is Aeralos and I listed my rotations in my previous post so I don't consider Aimed Shot/Ambush to be a filler skill for me. I think it's a great skill for energy management and decent damage (if you are above 60 energy before using it) and I try to use it after almost every Speed Shot/Series of Shots (only exception is rotation #2).

However, it is low in my priority list as Rolling, Orbital, our 4 DoTs, Shatter Shot, and Series of shots are all more important IMO. To answer your question specifically, I use Aimed Shot/Ambush like in example #3.

Hah yay #3 is what i was thinking as well. I'll use Ambush / Aimed Shot now when i try to parse. Do you agree with where I placed it in the Single target priority list?

Its below the more important abilities INCLUDING The 3 DoTs. #9 to be exact and sharing its place with Snipe.

Priority list - Single Target:

Shatter Shot Flourish Shot

Covered Escape Hightail It

Series of Shots* Speed Shot

Orbital Strike* XS Freighter Flyby

Plasma Probe* Incendiary Grenade

Interrogation Probe Shock Charge

Explosive Probe Sabotage Charge

Corrosive Dart Vital Shot

Ambush Aimed Shot

Snipe Charged Burst***

Auto attack

Overload Shot Quick Shot when repositioning to maintain 3x Electrified Railgun Blazing Speed stacks

Edited by paowee

I would put Ambush just below refreshing the 3 stacks of ER/BS stacks since I basically never use it if my stacks are going to drop. Ambush would then be above our basic auto-attack (Rifle Shot) and extra Snipes until the rest of our skills are off cooldown.

I would put Ambush just below refreshing the 3 stacks of ER/BS stacks since I basically never use it if my stacks are going to drop. Ambush would then be above our basic auto-attack (Rifle Shot) and extra Snipes until the rest of our skills are off cooldown.
Agreed!

Updated the OP:

1. Shatter Shot Flourish Shot
  2. Covered Escape Hightail It
  3. Series of Shots* Speed Shot
  4. Orbital Strike* XS Freighter Flyby
  5. Plasma Probe* Incendiary Grenade
  6. Interrogation Probe Shock Charge
  7. Explosive Probe Sabotage Charge
  8. Corrosive Dart Vital Shot
  9. Maintaining 3 stacks of Electrified Railgun Blazing Speed NEW!
  10. Ambush Aimed Shot NEW!
  11. Snipe* Charged Burst*
  12. Overload Shot Quick Shot when repositioning to maintain 3x Electrified Railgun Blazing Speed stacks

Asterisks (*) on certain abilities because their usage will vary a lot depending on the circumstances and player preference. These abilities also comprise a big part of your DPS and are important to keep up or keep on cooldown.

Edited by paowee

6/16/2103 Now that the NiM TFB (and SnV) is out, it would be nice to see how the Engineering spec fared over the course of the previous tier. This list includes the top Engineers / Saboteurs for the following large-sized bosses: (HM) Writhing Horror, Operator IX, Terror From Beyond, Titan 6, Thrasher and Golden Fury.

16-man

HM TFB

#1 Writhing Horror - 3378 DPS Rhuarc [stark Raving Mad]

#3 Terror From Beyond - 2325 DPS Roovin [suckaFish] (roll in place)

#5 Operator IX - 2303 DPS B'oarder [suckaFish] (can not duplicate due to data core bug)

HM SnV

#1 Thrasher - 3230 DPS Fenrir [severity Gaming]

#2 Titan 6 - 3166 DPS Fenrir [severity Gaming]

#4 Titan 6 - 3125 DPS Rhuarc [stark Raving Mad]

HM Others

#1 Golden Fury - 2788 DPS B'oarder [suckaFish]

8-man

HM TFB

#1 Writhing Horror - 3814 DPS B'oarder [suckaFish]

#11 Terror From Beyond - 2176 DPS Fenrir [severity Gaming]

HM SnV

#1 Thrasher 3270 DPS Cècilia [Dark Vengeance]

#5 Titan 6 3095 DPS Amilar [Loom]

HM Others

#27 Golden Fury 2420 DPS Cyl'orm'nuruodo [Ace]

Rhuarc - ||

Fenrir - |||

Amilar- |

Roovin - |

Cecilia - |

Cyl'orm'nuruodo - |

And the 2.0 Engineering King is..... FENRIR OF [sEVERITY GAMING]! Congrats!

:jawa_cool:

Edited by paowee

Aerallos it will be hard to beat your Engi parse without lucky RNG. Took a closer look at it and

15:30:08.980	130s      Scatter Bombs	2068 kinetic	No	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:09.069	131s	Scatter Bombs	2108 kinetic	No	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:09.169	131s	Scatter Bombs	2101 kinetic	No	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:09.326	131s	Scatter Bombs	4159* kinetic	Yes	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:09.376	131s	Scatter Bombs	4150* kinetic	Yes	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:10.276	132s	Scatter Bombs	4187* kinetic	Yes	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:10.373	132s	Scatter Bombs	2065 kinetic	No	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:10.478	132s	Scatter Bombs	2074 kinetic	No	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:10.639	132s	Flyby                7876* elemental	Yes	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:10.640	132s	Scatter Bombs	2100 kinetic	No	Operations Training Dummy
15:30:10.695	132s	Scatter Bombs	4018* kinetic	Yes  Operations Training Dummy

4 Scatter Bombs and 1 Flyby crit with Power Surge/Boost buff. 22,320 damage in 2 seconds lol. Also this was using the double 2-pc PVP bonus. I thought they patched it out sometime ago does anyone know?

Edited by paowee