Official Q&A Thread for June 1st, 2012 Q&A Blog Post

Hello and welcome to the official Q&A thread for questions to be answered for the June 1st, 2012 Q&A blog post.

As a reminder, we’ll be starting up a weekly Q&A blog series in which we will select ten questions from the community and post answers to them every Friday. We’ll have the next set of answers next week on June 1st, 2012, but before that, we need your questions!

Please use this thread to ask your question (one per community member, so make it count!). On Monday at 2PM CDT (8PM BST/9PM CEST/5AM AEST), we will close this thread, select ten questions, and get answers to them for Friday’s blog post. Please note that this is a day earlier than our standard Tuesday deadline.

In order to increase the chances of having your specific question answered and to help us keep the thread manageable, here are some guidelines on asking questions:

1. Keep your question relatively short. Background details are welcome, but don’t go overboard.
  2. Please actually ask a question. We want to hear constructive feedback elsewhere in the Forums.
  3. Use common sense – we cannot answer everything, especially on far-reaching content.
  4. This should go without saying, but be respectful.
  5. Limit yourself to one question in this thread, please. You can always ask another question next week!
  6. And finally, as a reminder, this is not a discussion thread. Do not comment about what somebody else has posted.

As development plans are always subject to change, questions about future features will often get vague answers which can be repetitive and sometimes annoying. With that in mind, the development team is more interested in questions about current in-game features or systems, or questions about why development decisions were made. You’re still welcome to ask questions about future features and we’ll continue to answer them where appropriate – just expect the occasional ‘soon.’

Any other posts apart from questions in the thread will be removed.

With that being said, please ask away!

Edited by CourtneyWoods

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the logic behind choosing which crew skills get to craft augment kits? In 1.2 and before, if a player wanted, for example, an augmented lightsaber, s/he HAD to buy it from an Artifice. Post-1.3, if a player wants an augmented lightsaber, s/he chooses a lightsaber s/he already owns (probably acquired through raiding or questing), and... buys an augment kit from an Armstech, Armormech, or Synthweaver, effectively cutting the Artificer completely out of the market for augmented lightsabers. Why was it done this way, rather than simply allowing Artificers to make augment kits that could only be applied to lightsabers/relics, Synthweavers to make augment kits that can only be used on force armor, Cybertech on earpieces, etc?

Are there plans to allow for players to select animations for abilities (perhaps through Legacy unlocks)? For example, being able to take my Marauder and use the Jedi Sentinel's animation for Master Strike, rather than that of the Marauder's Ravage. Even something non-combat related, such as tying a social emote to the recovery ability. I know some guild members of mine have mentioned a dislike for some of the recovery animations and would prefer one closer to that of their respective class trainers. Edited by Noremacv

Are the sound issues caused by 1.2 going to be fixed in 1.3?

(Background: In operations, after you have been playing for 'awhile', you begin losing sounds until you lose nearly all audio -- 'awhile' depends on the player but is typically 1-2 hours. Quitting the client and re-entering fixes the problem. There is a large thread on this in the CSR forum).

For the new augment slots for 1.3, will the tier of augment slot raise the level required to equip the gear? For example, if I have a level 11 piece of orange gear and add the highest tier augment slot to it, can I still equip it at level 11 assuming I don't put an augment in it that exceeds my level?

You have mentioned new species but haven't said what they are going to be, are you going to talk about this with the community or ignore what the community want and then just dump it on us regardless of how unpopular and irrelevant the species might be?

Background: In the development of TOR the community has constantly been ignored and fobbed off with we aren't ready to talk about that or we will talk about it soon. Yet this has proven in the past to be bad for the game and end up with the development team working on things players don't want. Such as ugly end game armour, space that adds little to the game and a lack of consequences from the story. All things brought up and ignored in Beta and pre-beta.

For most of us we do not care about game update 1.3. All we want word on is server transfers. The legacy system shouldnt of even been made it was a waste of resources on your part enable the transfers or 1.3 is pointless

Are there any plans to be able to customize buffs/debuffs in the UI? Currently there is no real way to discern if it's YOUR DoT, bleed, shield, kolto probe stacks etc. on the target. I know in other games there has been the option to only show your own buffs/debuffs - that fix seems the easiest. ALSO, the icon not showing the duration? ... It's kind of ridiculous especially if you are a class that applies multiple buffs/debuffs and need to be aware when they are going to fall off. Are we all supposed to be gurus with our class and have that instinctual "feel" of when we need to refresh something? Additionally, if there was duration text, the ability to increase the size of the icons would be essential. This is a "quality of life" issue that I know many, if not all, classes could benefit from.

how do efficiency bonuses work for crew skills? does the efficiency number equate to a percent reduction in the time it takes to complete missions or is it more complicated than that? what is the efficiency differential between a companion at 0 affection versus a companion at full affection?

Scoundrels, while a good healing class and capable of putting out some decent DPS, have issues maintaining a consistently high rate of damage compared to other classes. This is especially true when fighting well armored opponents, in cases where getting in position to use Backblast is difficult, and when movement prevents staying within melee range. Are there any solutions coming to address these issues?

I'm interested in learning more about accuracy. Can you provide some examples of between normal and special attacks? How does defense play in the equation? Is it (Accuracy - Defense) vs Roll, or is it more complicated than that? Does every mob and boss in the game have the same defense stats? How does level and operation difficulty play into this? What sort of defense do various bosses tend to have, and as a player what numbers should I be aiming for in terms of Accuracy? If an attack is an automatic Crit, due to a class ability, is it an automatic hit as well?

Comparing my in game experience I've noticed the game tends go out of its way to hide my misses (small text, only on screen for a short time, rarely shows misses for multi-hit attacks if any part hits) and showcase the big numbers. I think this has caused players to undervalue accuracy. I'm wondering what the design process behind that decision was.

You announced that ranked warzones are still on track for 1.3 in the May 25th Q&A. Is the plan still to implement this feature incrementally, starting with only pre-made teams of eight? Will queues be cross-server initially? Or will cross-server queues be implemented at some point after the first stage of ranked warzones makes it live?

As someone who came from first person shooters rather than another MMO, I always enjoy player vs player games as much as co-operative gameplay.

My question is, are there any changes or improvements planned to the resolve and CC system to make PvP gameplay less of a pain and more enjoyable for everyone?

Edited by FlyinSpaghetti

Is it possible to make tiny adjustments to crafting dialog ? Namely, could you save schematics filter settings per character or even per account - I like my schematics sorted by level and it is rather irritating to sort them this way almost every time I open the dialog after changing locations or relogging. It would also be nice to start with a collapsed schematics trees (and it would save time while loading some schematics - why to load a heavy armor schematics when I need to craft some medium armor).

Can you please tell us where the purple lightsaber color crystal( Expertise/others) schematic locations are? I have been searching for the past few weeks, and the only info I found on "Various fan websites" were "Rumors". I really don't want to spend (Which I have already), 20,000 WZ comms on a Rumor(grade 6 crafting pvp box). I could have had most of my war hero gear by now.

As for update 1.3, will there be any changes to the Juggernaut/Guardian class? In the right hands, we can prove very useful, but compared to other classes, we are just weaker. I don't see why I should play a Jugg tank over Assassins/PTs, and I don't see why I should play Juggs as DPS also. Our "Defensive cooldowns" are absolutely pathetic. For a class that is all about survivability, it's amazing how marauders are able to survive better than us in PvP AND put out double the damage. We are only useful in huttball and using threatening scream every 45 seconds. Any Tank class can guard so I'll leave that out. Intercede, that's basically the advantage we have over marauders.(Wasn't that move nerfed also, I believe there was a talent called huddle which allowed us to have 20% damage reduction when we used it and now it's gone with a crappy talent that starves your rage)

Our heals are terrible also(Especially Rage spec because you made sure payback couldn't crit) Will this class be looked at?

What was the design intent of class-restricting certain pieces of (moddable) crafted equipment while granting non-restricted items with the same appearance through other means? For example, if I create a "Sniper's Jacket" I can only equip it on PCs of the appropriate class (Agent and Warrior), while if I manage to get the nearly identical "Black Talon Operative's Jacket" I can equip it on any character that can wear medium armor. As a crafter trying to make moddable gear for companions and alts, it's a bit limiting to have these class restrictions.

I have been playing alts in addition to my main to take advantage of the legacy benefits as well as simply enjoying the various stories. In doing so, one thing has jumped out at me, social points are per character not for the legacy. Why this would be doesn't make sense to me and I can only think it was an oversight in legacy planning. My question is whether or not you intend to move social points to the legacy level, and if we can see it in 1.3 or 1.4?