Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sexual violence, slavery, and genocide. Just another day in the Empire?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Sexual violence, slavery, and genocide. Just another day in the Empire?

Aurondarklord
02.06.2012 , 03:03 PM | #501
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaskava View Post
Wait, where was I when this happened?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiTyR1syrS0 this is the scene in question. Actually, when you think about it, it doesn't even necessarily suggest if her idea is for you to use it on her or her to use it on you.

AscendantOps
02.06.2012 , 03:09 PM | #502
What the--?

Kaskava
02.06.2012 , 03:22 PM | #503
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurondarklord View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiTyR1syrS0 this is the scene in question. Actually, when you think about it, it doesn't even necessarily suggest if her idea is for you to use it on her or her to use it on you.
Ah, yes, I chose the first option about making the most of it.
This just in: Expanding on an ending no one likes is not improving said ending. A polished turd is still a turd.

Malkosha
02.06.2012 , 03:32 PM | #504
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaskava View Post
So you would give this game an "M" rating based on 1/42 of the game? Makes sense, if you don't think about it. Of course, from the sound of your post, you want the same sort of nanny-media that the OP wants. If you think something might be too much for your child, don't let them participate. The ratings are just a guideline, it's up to the parents to decide if their child can handle the game or not.

The fact that Vette wears a collar, and has been ensalved makes sense. She snuck onto Korriban, the Sith Holy World where only Sith, select servants of the Sith, and some elite Imperial soldiers are allowed. Then she broke into Naga Sadows tomb, a place sacred to the Sith where only Sith are supposed to go, in an attempt to steal an artifact.

The only reason she wasn't killed immediately, or given to the Inquisitors is because she's the only one who's managed to get past the obstacles. Now, how do you insure her cooperation? There's always the threat of death, but that doesn't really stop her from from running away the first chance she gets. The most convenient way is the shock collar.

If you're playing the truly dark Sith Warrior, you can keep the collar on because she's now a slave. You use it to shock her when ever she gets uppity because she's a slave. Sith don't like it when their slaves get any ideas. Even Barras says that the only trustworthy being in the galaxy, or something like that, is a "properly beaten down slave."

Or, you can reward hard work by freeing her, such as freedom is in the Empire, and take the collar off.

If you actually read my post I don't agree with much the OP says and like the game world just like it is. Better lines than "Time for some violence" would be better however and on that, the OP and I agree.

With the violence and Vetee as an in your face slave ... I might go with an "M " rating. By itself no ... but when everything else is added then maybe.

I know what Sith are. My post explains that and how it wouldn't be right to tone it down without corrupting the story.

Reading is key. Try again.
TRS-80, Dual 5 1/2" Floppy's, 13" CGA Monitor

Tamaranis
02.06.2012 , 03:54 PM | #505
Quote: Originally Posted by tehjai View Post
Which stance? The "this aspect of the game is too scandalous for my sensibilities and should be removed" stance?
Yeah. That one.

Aurondarklord
02.06.2012 , 04:43 PM | #506
I actually just learned this because my warrior is with Jaesa and this thread made me wanna look up the Vette romance, Vette is explicitly NOT a sex slave. if you romance her, she at one point tells you she's a virgin because she promised her mother she'd save it for marriage. So Vette's slavery is not and has never been sexual in nature. Sadly, her bustier sister did not escape such a fate, but the game portrays it in an appropriately negative light...I have no problem with a game depicting a social ill that exists in the real world, so long as it doesn't appear to endorse it, and this game in no way endorses it.

Also, regarding what you said about Quinn...I totally agree with the basic thrust of what you're saying, but maybe Quinn's not the best example in the game, since

Spoiler

so a relationship where you're abusing Quinn is actually pretty dysfunctional both ways.

The sith are essentially a noble class, only distinguished from the commoners by force sensitivity instead of land ownership or money. and then you have the Emperor, who more resembles some sort of devil figure than anything in human history, his evil is so utterly alien and so cosmic in scope. Which is to say, the Empire is a generic, sometimes slightly cartoonish distillation of evil regimes and oppression in general, much as one could say Mordor and Sauron are.

Kaskava
02.06.2012 , 04:51 PM | #507
Quote: Originally Posted by Malkosha View Post
If you actually read my post I don't agree with much the OP says and like the game world just like it is. Better lines than "Time for some violence" would be better however and on that, the OP and I agree.

With the violence and Vetee as an in your face slave ... I might go with an "M " rating. By itself no ... but when everything else is added then maybe.

I know what Sith are. My post explains that and how it wouldn't be right to tone it down without corrupting the story.

Reading is key. Try again.
Having said that, just on the Vette issue alone I would have given this game the "M" rating. Given a slave to dominate in any way you seem fit ... and the dialogue says just this thing ... as well as the added bonus of shocking her into submission is much different than implied slavery and torture. It's actually doing it in game, up close and personal. Probably a little too much for the kiddies.

No, you do want the game to have an M rating, just because of what can happen with Vette. Which is 1/42 of the game. Actually, it's much less of the game.
This just in: Expanding on an ending no one likes is not improving said ending. A polished turd is still a turd.

LyriaFrost
02.06.2012 , 04:55 PM | #508
Quote:
In the end, the game will actively punish you for being too mean to 'poor little Vette.'

Also, in the end, you're the one pressing the "be evil!" button whenever it comes up. When you could have avoided all of this and all of making yourself uncomfortable by TAKING OFF THE DAMN COLLAR. It's that simple.
This has also been pointed out to him. Which he's blissfully ignored and continued to soapbox at people. It's apparently irrelevant to him that he CHOSE to do those things. To him, the simple fact that they EXIST is enough to get him whipped up into a frenzy over it.

The thing is, he fails to see what's really there. He keeps insisting she's a "sex slave", when she's never been treated sexually at all. She's a SLAVE, that's all. She's been beaten, tortured, shocked, and more.

But you know what? She hasn't been BROKEN. Despite everything that's happened to her, everything a "rarh, darkside!" PC can do to her, she won't break. She will continue to rise above what's being done to her, and continue to be the strong-willed, individualistic person she is. She won't become anyone's submissive doormat.

Doesn't that, really, make her an incredibly STRONG character? I think so.

Mechavomit
02.06.2012 , 04:57 PM | #509
Vettes is doing fine compared to some of the NPC the SI deals with. He can basically force-lightning the daylights out of every second person.

alricka
02.06.2012 , 05:07 PM | #510
I didn't read through all of the 50 pages, but I will say this - the OP misses the point.

The game actually gives you, the player, the ability to choose. You can choose what person your character is. You are not forced to be a horrible monster who tortures and ***** Vette. Yes, you have the option to become such a person, but you have the other options too.
For example, the minute Vette asked me to remove the shock collar, I did so, but I also kept my emotional distance and asserted my leading role instead of toading up to her by proposing a partnership - it felt logical given the way I want to develop my Sith Warrior. I have never once tortured her - it's just not something my character would do. He recognizes that a happy Vette is a useful Vette. And he actually doesn't mind her constant blabbering and wisecracking - it's refreshing for him after a lifetime among brooding murderers who are so full of themselves that it's a wonder they haven't blown up already...
Another example - I have recently landed on Balmorra and a quest had me planting explosive collars on rebel corpses on the battlefields in order to weaken the resistance when they try to get the gear of their dead. However, I also found out that a lot of innocent civilans, children included, looted the battlefield and there was a chance of huge colateral damage. So why did I do? I planted explosive grenades, to be sure that only enemy soldiers would get blown up when they try to get them. The Imperials weren't happy with me at all - they wanted the colateral damage on the civilians, but my character is not a blood-thirsty maniac and he'd totally think that killing innocents would only lend credence to the rebels' cause.

This is how the game is. Yes, the cartoony graphics are misleading and the game is kinda dark. Yes, the Galaxy is not a happy place right now. But you do have a choice. You can choose good or neutrality (myself, I'm not even a Light Side Sith; I'm neutral leaning slightly to the darkness - the above were just examples).

But, more importantly, to the OP - when you choose the Empire, you get the bad guys. You don't want to be a bad guy? Go to the Republic, then. The Jedi are not murderers and tortures, the Troopers don't kill for money, the Smugglers... are witty and funny.

Overall - yes, this is Star Wars, I know, it's not Dostoevsky or something. It's pure entertainment made mostly for teenagers and young adults. But the point of view of the OP is flawed and skewed. Just because this is only entertainment, doesn't mean the story is so flat or one-sided. There are bad people and there are wrong choices and evil actions; this goes for both Star Wars and the real life. But you are not robbed of the right to choose. If you chose to be evil and to torture Vette and are now feeling guilty, that's your problem - you made the choice, now live with it. But come on - this is just a game. And it's not the game's fault if the player wants to be an evil character. That's a slippery slope that leads to censure and overall bull****.