Arcann in KOTET

whimsandwills

I'm trying to decided if all my paragon of the light type characters are just going to have to suck it up, eat some Dark Side Wheaties for breakfast, and then holo-google Zakuulan funeral rites for Senya or not. So, in other words, how well is that whole Arcann redemption thing handled? Spoil the hell out of it for me, please.

It's terrible!

OMG! I'm seriously contemplating rerolling my Consular again, because it's handled so poorly.

Arcann should totally be brought in for justice...whether that's prisoner or death. But no...not an option.

Instead you kill Senya for trying to protect him. Which isn't that bad, except the dialogue for it makes you out to be terrible.

Then killing Arcann makes you out to be terrible too.

Basically the game really screws you over in just trying to get him to actually pay for every murder/death he did. Guy blew up planets and the answer is "Sound moronically evil." or "Sure. go ahead. Run around and be free."

I sorta agree with the previous post - it's handled really badly and is a joke of a redemption arc (especially since it's really Senya who forces it to happen rather than a conscious/earned decision by Arcann) and it barely has an impact on the story (you'd think bringing Arcann into the alliance would, you know, piss people off. But hey, choices matter or whatever.

I do disagree slightly in the sense that I do think it's okay/right to feel bad about Senya. Although I'll be honest, I'm easily guilt tripped by parental feelings like that so I'm probably the kind of person Bioware was targeting by tying her fate to his. If that wasn't the case I'd probably save her and kill him every time :rak_01:

It does really irritate me that there's no way to bring Arcann to justice without just killing him (and Senya along with him).

Edited by RarePorcupine

The problem is that the writers give you the options to either kill both or save both. There's nothing in between. If you kill them you can come off as heartless or pragmatic, however you want to spin it. Arcann's out of the way, and no longer a threat to the Alliance. I feel less sorry for Senya because she couldn't back up her claims to do whatever it took to save Zakuul, even if it meant bringing her kids to justice.

I think if you choose the light side and save Arcann, its basically either to use his knowledge of Zakuul for your own ends; or take the Jedi approach with the idea that a dead man can't make up for his wrongdoings. I think there's a quote from the Consular class story that mentions something similar.

99.9% my character were neutral before the DvsL update and I still play them that way for the most part.

So far out of the three who I've run up to chapter one, only 1 has saved him. My Consular will probably be the only one added to the list of 8 classes; but she's my only LS character. XD

I think the best way to describe that "redemption arc" would be - shallow. Now that I think of it, it barely qualifies as an arc. More like a very flat curve. So what happens is:

In Chapter 1 of KotET you decide whether to help Senya or not. If you decide to help her she somehow "cleanses" Arcann of his daddy anger issues. However it works. Enchantment, I guess. This renders her comatose. If you don't agree to help her you battle and kill her. Regardless of your choice, Arcann escapes.

The ungrateful little brat. He returns in Chapter 6 to deliver some brotherly scolding on Vaylin (which she doesn't appreciate, surprise). If you killed Senya you fight and kill Arcann. If you didn't he joins you. Without exactly asking your permission. Or opinion. And no one else exactly cares. You think Koth has something to say? Haha.

The most notable change is that in Chapter 8 and 9 you get to hang out with Senya (who regains consciousness in Chapter 7) and Arcann if they are still alive, or with Theron and Lana if not.

What I like most is that you technically don't redeem Arcann. Senya does. After finishing the Knight story where you redeem people left and right without price or consequences it was nice to see someone else actually doing it and paying the price for it. The real question is how his personality does an about 180 degrees turn in between chapters. I guess he had some intensive psych therapy on Nar Shaddaa.

I don't think I'm going to kill him on any of my toons. Even my jerk Knight didn't. I guess my biggest issue was how little of a villain he was in KotFE that I couldn't bother to hate him by KotET. Sure, he is a jerk but compared to just about every other villain... He sits on his chair, does off-screen villainy and I am supposed to care? If the game and the writers don't care why should I? I saved him even as my jerk DS Knight though, to be fair, I mostly did it because of Senya. I like her. Plus I was tired of hanging out with Lana and Theron everywhere.

That and I needed someone to dump all those military gifts on.

It's terrible!

OMG! I'm seriously contemplating rerolling my Consular again, because it's handled so poorly.

Arcann should totally be brought in for justice...whether that's prisoner or death. But no...not an option.

Instead you kill Senya for trying to protect him. Which isn't that bad, except the dialogue for it makes you out to be terrible.

Then killing Arcann makes you out to be terrible too.

Basically the game really screws you over in just trying to get him to actually pay for every murder/death he did. Guy blew up planets and the answer is "Sound moronically evil." or "Sure. go ahead. Run around and be free."

So it's scenery eating evil or moronically naive light side? Good lord, guess I'm going to have a grand ol' time trying to RP around that whole scenario. How much does having Arcann still around affect the rest of the story? Koth get his panties in a twist again over it at least?

So it's scenery eating evil or moronically naive light side? Good lord, guess I'm going to have a grand ol' time trying to RP around that whole scenario. How much does having Arcann still around affect the rest of the story? Koth get his panties in a twist again over it at least?

Koth doesn't make much of an appearance in the later chapters. There is some definite tension when Arcann show up at the Alliance base when he joins the group. He shows up to help in some battles and there's some dialogue. Even though the devs have said that they moved on from the KOTFE/KOTET story, here's hoping that they'll at least be some inclusion of Arcann in any future expansions if you kept him alive.

You go dark and kill him half way though and that's it. He'll shows up to kill you again one final time as a force ghost under Valkorian.

Edited by Venn_Dras

So you either just kill both of them (Senya and Arcann) or you just save them and he becomes your friendly companion doing some crew skills!

I don't think there was much room for just killing Arcann and not Senya as she had a fixed mind on trying to redeem her soon, I just think the dialogue for killing her should be better written

How well it works can depend on the character. But it is important to keep in mind that you can't punish him for his crimes and redeem him. If you decide to spare his and Senya's lives, that entails him being free so he can help you.

Although it's worth noting that Arcann himself seems to realize just how far gone he is. The Outlander can tell him he still has a chance to redeem himself, but he says he believes is beyond redemption. He also has ambient dialouge about how much he has to make up for.

A DS character that relishes the chance to kill Arcann and Senya works well. A character that has total commitment to redemption and perhaps holds Valkorion more responsible for Arcann's atrocities or otherwise believes anyone seeking redemption deserves a second chance, will also work out pretty well.

A LS character that believes he should be brought to justice will have some problem with some of the dialogue, but there's still other lines that will accommodate you. The problem is that it makes the character seem kind of inconsistent or prone to weird rapid mood swings.

Specifically the dialogue in the decision point in Chapter 1 will make any Outlander that chooses to kill him sound pretty cruel, especially to Seyna. But then the very next ones can be sympathetic or understanding to her.

The dialogue choices you get later for Arcann's death is will work well for either LS or DS characters, imo.

I'm a returning player and I haven't reached these parts yet but i've seen it on YouTube. I don't know if anyone else has thought of this, but this reminds me of Luke redeeming Darth Vader but inversed with the parent redeeming the child. It might not of been his choice at first, but eventually it was. It's like how Luke consistently believed there was good still in Vader and Senya was the same with Arcaan and even for awhile with Vaylin.

I'm a returning player and I haven't reached these parts yet but i've seen it on YouTube. I don't know if anyone else has thought of this, but this reminds me of Luke redeeming Darth Vader but inversed with the parent redeeming the child. It might not of been his choice at first, but eventually it was. It's like how Luke consistently believed there was good still in Vader and Senya was the same with Arcaan and even for awhile with Vaylin.

The movies pulled it off better. It may be because while Vader was evil and did lots of bad things, he was also on someone's leash. Arcann was not on anyone's leash.

• 2 weeks later...

What redemption? There wasn't any. After being "healed" on Voss Arcann just randomly shows up on Zakuul and wants to join the Alliance. You can't refuse him, you can't kill him (unless he wasn't "healed" at all),you can't lock him up or put him for trial. All you can do is welcome him into Alliance.

The only reason I ever allowed Arcann to iive because I like Senya. I never believed he could or should be redeemed. And I still was disappointed in the way BW handled it.

It works for me. I've wanted to kill Senya for since she started singing. No happiness allowed in the presence of a Sith Lord, you uneducated swine. My warrior also just wanted to obliterate Zakuul to piss off Valkorion, which included murdering Arcann. He got bonus points for also killing Senya and making Valkorion sad, so I can't complain xD

The problem will come when I have to take the Eternal Throne. Hopefully I'll be able to consolidate the Zakuul and Sith Empires into one Sith Empire, but for now I'm a little mad that I didn't get the option to just return to the Sith like a good little patriot and was forced into taking the throne. Luckily, I told Marr and Satele that I'd rule as a Sith with Sith ideologies after they tried to change my mind, so at least there was an option there to never change (it actually reminded me a lot of the warrior's Tatooine Oasis story, that whole chapter did).

So, I think BioWare should've added the option to keep either alive while one of them dies as well. I guess it wouldn't really make sense not to kill Arcann and then kill Senya, but we should've been able to kill Arcann and let Senya live. Options make us happy.