An in-depth look at: Force Powers- Sever Force

Aurbere

"I imprison you in a wall of light. A fortress to block you from the Force."- Nomi Sunrider to Ulic Qel-Droma

The most powerful ability a Jedi could possibly use, the ability to sever a beings connection to the Force is an ancient technique that is only used under the rarest of circumstances. Jedi Master Odan-Urr speaks of the Sever Force ability in an ancient recording in the Tedryn Holocron...

When you feel the dark side energies turned against you, you must use your Jedi abilities to take power away from an opponent, rather than to inflict harm. This technique blinds your enemy to the Force with a wall of light, a permanent blockage if you so choose, rendering him unable to use Jedi powers. It is difficult. And it is the most devastating attack possible using the powers of the light side. To block a Jedi from the Force- even a Dark Jedi- is a terrible thing.

A powerful technique, to cut off an enemy from the touch of the Force is a terrible thing. The Force is like a sixth sense, and removing it would be like removing a beings ability to see or hear. Jedi that come to rely on the Force will find living without, for any period of time, difficult.

Sever Force, or Wall of Light as it has come to be known, blocks a Jedi's connection to the Force via a Wall of Light. This effectively ends the threat posed by the opponent. While the Wall of Light can be permanent, it is often not permanent. When the Jedi's connection to the Force returns, it is a sudden feeling as the Jedi feels a rush of emotion and immediately senses all that surrounds them. This can be overwhelming for a Jedi.

The most extreme case of Sever Force being used was when Jedi Meetra Surik unconsciously cut her own connection to the Force, to protect herself from being overwhelmed by the deaths of the countless Jedi around her as the Mass Shadow Generator killed Jedi and Mandalorians alike. So sudden was the severance that she became a wound in the Force. This was unknown to her, as she believed that the Jedi Council severed her connection to the Force.

Sever Force is an extreme form of punishment that the Jedi Council only uses as a last resort. The Wall of Light is the most powerful ability that the Light Side of the Force grants a Jedi, and should be used sparingly. All living creatures are connected to the Force, and to disrupt the connection of a Jedi is a terrible thing to do. Because of this, Sever Force should be used only in the most dire of circumstances, or when absolutely necessary.

I hope you enjoyed our look at Sever Force. Our next power, and probably last for now, is Shatterpoint.

If you have a topic you would like to see in the future, post them below or PM me.

Nihilus used it as well right?

Actually, no. He's more of a black hole. He devours Force energy. I'm not exactly sure on the specifics, but I do believe that it is not Sever Force.

Edit: Nihilus used a Dark variation of Sever Force on Traya at the Trayus core, but his hunger is something else entirely.

Edited by Aurbere

I think it's quite useful in battle, not sure why didn't the Sith use it.

Well it's called Wall of Light for a reason I guess. It blocks a Sith/Dark Jedi/Jedi's ability to use the Force by forming a Wall of Light to block the enemy's connection to the Force.

Nihilus used it as well right?

Nihilus used a dark variant only seen that once I believe.

Surik, Kreia and Nomi all knew it to varying degrees, Surik was a natural and Vima Sunrider warned her of it's use, Kreia outright used it in cohesion with force drain to kill the masters on Dantooine, Nomi obviously used it on Qel-Droma and Surik used it on Traya.

Surik, Kreia and Nomi all knew it to varying degrees, Surik was a natural and Vima Sunrider warned her of it's use, Kreia outright used it in cohesion with force drain to kill the masters on Dantooine, Nomi obviously used it on Qel-Droma and Surik used it on Traya.

I think Nihilus using Sever Force shows that there are two variations of the ability: Sever Force and Wall of Light.

Obviously the Jedi have access to both, but Sith would only have access to the standard Sever Force.

Edit: At least that's how I see it.

Edited by Aurbere

Very interesting, this power in particular I wanted to know more about.

Actually, no. He's more of a black hole. He devours Force energy. I'm not exactly sure on the specifics, but I do believe that it is not Sever Force.

I believe what Darth Nihilius uses is an extreme version of force drain, although it is a Force ability in its own right used by ancient Sith but lost after the Great Hyperspace War. If you play darkside Meetra, this is the power (I believe) you use to kill the Jedi Masters and take their power.

Surik? I wasn't aware of this. (Unless you just mean what she did at Malachor V - but that was more instinctive than deliberate) When does Surik use it against Kreia?

Surik? I wasn't aware of this. (Unless you just mean what she did at Malachor V - but that was more instinctive than deliberate) When does Surik use it against Kreia?

When she simultaneously cuts off Kreia's remaining hand and severs their force bond, it is why she has to resort to using a quite pathetic use of three lightsabers that basically fade in a few seconds.

Very interesting, this power in particular I wanted to know more about.

I believe what Darth Nihilius uses is an extreme version of force drain, although it is a Force ability in its own right used by ancient Sith but lost after the Great Hyperspace War. If you play darkside Meetra, this is the power (I believe) you use to kill the Jedi Masters and take their power.

I had suspected that Nihilus used a massive Force drain ability as well. But upon further research, I don't think it is the case. The best example of this is Katarr. Nihilus arrived in system and, despite the Jedi using their power to defend themselves, devoured the entire planet. Sparing only Visas Marr from destruction. Nihilus requires Force energy to survive. It's a hunger that consumes him. He kills anything touched by the Force. Jedi in particular are his greatest "meals". I don't consider it a drain as it just kills the victim.

As for Surik and Sever Force. She used it instinctively after the activation of the MSG, but used it against Traya during their final battle on Malachor.

When she simultaneously cuts off Kreia's remaining hand and severs their force bond, it is why she has to resort to using a quite pathetic use of three lightsabers that basically fade in a few seconds.

Severing a force bond isn't the same a severing the connection to the Force is it? The fact she wielded lightsabers telekinetically seems to imply she still very much had the Force.

P.S. 'pathetic' is a strong word - only a few force users new how to use that power, wielding 3 lightsabers with the Force at a time is not only difficult, but also deadly to the enemy. (But thats just me being irked cause I'm a Trayarite :D)

I had suspected that Nihilus used a massive Force drain ability as well. But upon further research, I don't think it is the case. The best example of this is Katarr. Nihilus arrived in system and, despite the Jedi using their power to defend themselves, devoured the entire planet. Sparing only Visas Marr from destruction. Nihilus requires Force energy to survive. It's a hunger that consumes him. He kills anything touched by the Force. Jedi in particular are his greatest "meals". I don't consider it a drain as it just kills the victim.

As for Surik and Sever Force. She used it instinctively after the activation of the MSG, but used it against Traya during their final battle on Malachor.

Hmmm, Wookieepedia lists it the Force drain section - but that's probably just speculation. But extreme force drain can and has killed. And he is effectively 'draining' them of the Force to kill them is he not? Then devouring what he drains.

Severing a force bond isn't the same a severing the connection to the Force is it? The fact she wielded lightsabers telekinetically seems to imply she still very much had the Force.

P.S. 'pathetic' is a strong word - only a few force users new how to use that power, wielding 3 lightsabers with the Force at a time is not only difficult, but also deadly to the enemy. (But thats just me being irked cause I'm a Trayarite :D)

No she did all three at the same time, she severed their bond by severing Traya's connection to the force, not completely, Surik doesn't seem to be able to use such a complete version of it, as Traya could clearly call upon the force through a much weaker connection, her final actions were very much a last ditch effort.

The Campaign Guide tells us Sever Force is how the Exile finished what was the first engagement between the two.

Hmmm, Wookieepedia lists it the Force drain section - but that's probably just speculation. But extreme force drain can and has killed. And he is effectively 'draining' them of the Force to kill them is he not? Then devouring what he drains.

I think that's just speculation, but I'm not sure. It could be a massive Force Drain, but it just doesn't seem like it as Nihilus' very presence drains the life of those around him. I think we see a zombie-like crew on the bridge of the Ravager, showing how he has drained their energy over-time. On the Devastation of Katarr wiki page, it says that his very presence and an old Sith technique caused the destruction of Katarr. It could be Force Drain, but I am doubtful. On first glance it seems like Force Drain, but I am doubtful if it is or not.

Edit: Just visited the wiki page for Force Drain and it shows Nihilus as using Force Drain. It is plausible, but its on such a massive scale. Something like that requires tremendous power, which could be possible as Nihilus was eventually consumed by the Dark Side.

Edited by Aurbere

I think that's just speculation, but I'm not sure. It could be a massive Force Drain, but it just doesn't seem like it as Nihilus' very presence drains the life of those around him. I think we see a zombie-like crew on the bridge of the Ravager, showing how he has drained their energy over-time. On the Devastation of Katarr wiki page, it says that his very presence and an old Sith technique caused the destruction of Katarr. It could be Force Drain, but I am doubtful. On first glance it seems like Force Drain, but I am doubtful if it is or not.

I wouldn't say its simply a amplified version of Force Drain, but it certainly exists in that realm, or at least is some form of it if you know what I mean. Much like Wall of Light is a version of Sever Force.

No she did all three at the same time, she severed their bond by severing Traya's connection to the force, not completely, Surik doesn't seem to be able to use such a complete version of it, as Traya could clearly call upon the force through a much weaker connection, her final actions were very much a last ditch effort.

The Campaign Guide tells us Sever Force is how the Exile finished what was the first engagement between the two.

Yeah I meant at the same time.

OK I see what you mean there, its strange that Surik uses it so instinctively (I doubt she intended to sever her from the force by chopping of her hand - I suppose she literally went with the flow) She is definitely a unique case.

Edited by Beniboybling

I wouldn't say its simply a amplified version of Force Drain, but it certainly exists in that realm, or at least is some form of it if you know what I mean. Much like Wall of Light is a version of Sever Force.

Based off of what is written on the wiki page, it seems plausible that Nihilus has this ability on a massive scale. But that still doesn't explain why his presence slowly drains the life from those near him. This could be attributed to his power in the Dark Side, as he had essentially been consumed by the Dark Side.

Based off of what is written on the wiki page, it seems plausible that Nihilus has this ability on a massive scale. But that still doesn't explain why his presence slowly drains the life from those near him. This could be attributed to his power in the Dark Side, as he had essentially been consumed by the Dark Side.

We can't attribute this power to Force drain completely. While it may be a strain of it, there is definitely more to it than a simple amplified version. As for his presence draining others, I think that is more a side effect of using the power, as is his loss of speech and tangible form. He has effectively become a black hole, and I suspect he instinctively uses his 'force drain' variant on those around him - such is the extent of his hunger. (I'm starting to sound like a cryptic Jedi :o)

We can't attribute this power to Force drain completely. While it may be a strain of it, there is definitely more to it than a simple amplified version. As for his presence draining others, I think that is more a side effect of using the power, as is his loss of speech and tangible form. He has effectively become a black hole, and I suspect he instinctively uses his 'force drain' variant on those around him - such is the extent of his hunger. (I'm starting to sound like a cryptic Jedi :o)

Yes you are :)

As for Nihilus. His use of his power had turned an addiction. His constant use of it started to make him dependant on it, eventually consuming him. His very thoughts became bent on finding another meal, to the point that he could find Jedi from across the galaxy. His will turned into a desire to feed his hunger, a hunger that could never be satisfied. Such is his nature, and that of the Dark Side itself. He had become a black hole, never capable of sating his hunger, and becoming a danger to all living things. Even a danger to himself, for if he had consumed the galaxy, his hunger would consume him and he would die a slow death in an empty galaxy.

I just realized that I can be cryptic talking about doom and gloom... :o

Yes you are :)

As for Nihilus. His use of his power had turned an addiction. His constant use of it started to make him dependant on it, eventually consuming him. His very thoughts became bent on finding another meal, to the point that he could find Jedi from across the galaxy. His will turned into a desire to feed his hunger, a hunger that could never be satisfied. Such is his nature, and that of the Dark Side itself. He had become a black hole, never capable of sating his hunger, and becoming a danger to all living things. Even a danger to himself, for if he had consumed the galaxy, his hunger would consume him and he would die a slow death in an empty galaxy.

I just realized that I can be cryptic talking about doom and gloom... :o

Lol, this guy is starting to sound like Darth Baras "His very thoughts became bent on finding another meal". Yeah, definitely Darth Baras. :p

Lol, this guy is starting to sound like Darth Baras "His very thoughts became bent on finding another meal". Yeah, definitely Darth Baras. :p

It is said that Darth Baras' life-long goal is to surpass Nihilus' hunger.

Wait this doesn't belong here :p

I do believe Darth Nihilus used Force Drain on Darth Traya , being to be honest if you play through KotoR II it can be sensed if Kreia wanted at any point to hand out some WOOP*** she probably could .

I think Force Drain , kept her from counter attacking Scion as he was literally Man handling her .

To show my believe that Nihilus might not have any form of Force Sever is because at one point he is confronted by Scion who was in attempting to kill Nihilus . If Nihilus had Force Sever he wouldn't have just fried Scion , he would have likely full out killed him and shorten a otherwise very good story.

Side Note : 30+ Dollars later in Coins to Packs and no fricken mask of my Favorite Darklord Period . I feel I am being very much trolled by this game and very upset ..................:mad:

Tomorrow I will have spent 50dollars into coins , and if I do not get my Mask I will RAGGGGGGGE over this !

I do believe Darth Nihilus used Force Drain on Darth Traya , being to be honest if you play through KotoR II it can be sensed if Kreia wanted at any point to hand out some WOOP*** she probably could .

I think Force Drain , kept her from counter attacking Scion as he was literally Man handling her .

To show my believe that Nihilus might not have any form of Force Sever is because at one point he is confronted by Scion who was in attempting to kill Nihilus . If Nihilus had Force Sever he wouldn't have just fried Scion , he would have likely full out killed him and shorten a otherwise very good story.

Side Note : 30+ Dollars later in Coins to Packs and no fricken mask of my Favorite Darklord Period . I feel I am being very much trolled by this game and very upset ..................:mad:

Tomorrow I will have spent 50dollars into coins , and if I do not get my Mask I will RAGGGGGGGE over this !

Actually, Nihilus did use Sever Force on Traya when he and Sion rebelled. Why he did not use it on Sion, I do not know. Perhaps whatever humanity still remained within him felt no need to do so. This could explain why he didn't outright kill Traya. Or perhaps he was using Sion to draw out the Jedi. I don't know why Nihilus would let Sion leave.

And you probably wont get the mask. Very, very, very rare piece.

Actually, Nihilus did use Sever Force on Traya when he and Sion rebelled. Why he did not use it on Sion, I do not know. Perhaps whatever humanity still remained within him felt no need to do so. This could explain why he didn't outright kill Traya. Or perhaps he was using Sion to draw out the Jedi. I don't know why Nihilus would let Sion leave.

And you probably wont get the mask. Very, very, very rare piece.

When did Sion confront Nihilus, I thought that was cut content? (which he died in anyway, or at least was severely battered)

When did Sion confront Nihilus, I thought that was cut content? (which he died in anyway, or at least was severely battered)

It was cut, but I think the Restoration mod has the confrontation back in it. I don't know what happened to Sion though. All I know is that he got his butt kicked. :)

It was cut, but I think the Restoration mod has the confrontation back in it. I don't know what happened to Sion though. All I know is that he got his butt kicked. :)

yeah that scene was awesome

Sion:I don't need you anymore! *ignites lightsaber*

Nihilus: *random sith language* *Then proceeds to wipe out the room*

Sion: D: ok then *limps away*

Ontopic, yeah I do think sith can use sever force but they cannot use wall of light.