[GUIDE] Artifice Enhancement Guide (Level 50)

Osskask

Once I maxed out on my Artifice, I had a hard time keeping straight all 48 green enhancements I could craft (actually, I only knew the names of the enhancements I'd crafted to get to 400 Artifice and the ones I'd purchased as a commendation reward). I took some time, did a little spreadsheeting, and thought that a guide explaining it would be helpful.

There are four classes of enhancements: Accuracy, Alacrity, Shield, and Surge. No enhancement that I know of will have two of these statistics.

Of each class of enhancement, there are either 11, 12, or 13 enhancements that fall into one of two categories that differ only in whether they favor the attribute (Absorption, Critical Rating, Defense Rating, Power) or Endurance.

There are many enhancements that are identical (for example, Acute and Intensity).

Finally, only 1 of the enhancements has 4 statistics on it. The Reflective Enhancement has Shield, Critical, Power, and Endurance.

Below is a list that I compiled to make finding the enhancement I want to craft easier. I hope it might be beneficial to others.

• Accuracy Enhancements:
    • Stat Favored:
      • Absorption: Kinetic
      • Critical Rating: Acute/Intensity
      • Defense Rating: Protection
      • Power: Initiative

[*]Endurance Favored:

• Absorption: Cognizant/Lucid
  • Critical Rating: Finesse/Volition
  • Defense Rating: Astute/Intuition
  • Power: Proficient/Studious

[*]Alacrity Enhancements:

• Stat Favored:
    • Absorption: Dexterous
    • Critical Rating: Insight
    • Defense Rating: Counterstrike
    • Power: Quick Savant

[*]Endurance Favored:

• Absorption: Sagacity/Sentient
  • Critical Rating: Warfare
  • Defense Rating: Adroit/Wisdom
  • Power: Barrage/Savant

[*]Shield Enhancements:

• Stat Favored:
    • Absorption: Sturdiness
    • Critical Rating: Skirmish/Reflective*
    • Defense Rating: Immunity
    • Power: Reflective*

[*]Endurance Favored:

• Absorption: Bulwar/Vigilant
  • Critical Rating: Erudition/Veracity
  • Defense Rating: Bastion/Steadfast
  • Power: Foresight/Verity

[*]Surge Enhancements:

• Stat Favored:
    • Absorption: Safeguard
    • Critical Rating: Battle
    • Defense Rating: Resist
    • Power: Adept

[*]Endurance Favored:

• Absorption: Inertial/Ward
  • Critical Rating: Assault/Wily
  • Defense Rating: Incisive/Severe
  • Power: Discipline/Efficient

Updated information for 2.0 - I'm going to make a new post on these forums as well, but that's where I've hosted the latest and greatest.

Edited by Osskask
Added in new 2.0 Information

This is really helpful. It's much easier to find an appropriate enhancement by looking at your breakdown than going down the artifice list mousing over every enhancement until you find a good combo.

This is really helpful. It's much easier to find an appropriate enhancement by looking at your breakdown than going down the artifice list mousing over every enhancement until you find a good combo.

Thank you! Once I compiled the list I pretty much figured out that there's only 7 or so enhancements worth RE'ing to purple status: Acute & Battle (DPS), Reflective, Bulwark, & Bastion (Tank), Insight (DPS/Healer), and Assault (Crit Tank).

Great list.

A while ago I made something similar regarding the Rank 19 green Enhancements (to prove a point about some errors in them).

Good spreadsheet. I'm working on a PDF that lists all the codex entries (in checklist format) as well as enhancements, mods, and armors. I figure it'll be handy as a kind of "level 50 user manual" or "quick-reference guide".

Thank you for this.

When I started looking at this with my artificer I saw that when I compared the level 49 enhancements to the level 47 ones the primary stat (accuracy, alacrity, shield, surge) is increased at the expense of their secondary one (absorption, critical, defense, power).

For example just looking at the basic greens:

Initiative 21: 12 endurance, 24 accuracy, 20 power - level 47

Initiative 22: 13 endurance, 28 accuracy, 19 power - level 49

This seems counter-intuitive to me, especially as in many cases it is the secondary stat that I want to increase on my character or companion. As a result I often favor the level 47s, even though the overall stat bonus is lower.

My picks from the list are a mix of Protection and Sturdiness for my tank characters and Initiative for heal/dps companions.

• 4 months later...
Thank you! Once I compiled the list I pretty much figured out that there's only 7 or so enhancements worth RE'ing to purple status: Acute & Battle (DPS), Reflective, Bulwark, & Bastion (Tank), Insight (DPS/Healer), and Assault (Crit Tank).

There are only six that have any real value:

DPS: Battle (Crit/Surge), Initative (Accuracy/Power - for white-damage-heavy specs and dual wielders)

Tank: Sturdiness (Shield/Absorb), Immunity (Shield/Defense)

Heal: Insight (Crit/Alacrity), Quick Savant (Power/Alacrity)

The endurance heavy ones are pretty pointless; enhancements should do work in filling up those stats that are hard to buff in other slots. You get endurance on everything else, so no need to go heavy with it on these, especially if you're going with primary stat + endurance augments all around.

The endurance heavy ones are pretty pointless

This is not true for tanks. Defensive Stats are only applicable to white damage and completely useless for yellow damage. Endurance is needed to soak yellow damage, and soak the white damage that passes through you defences. So with Defensive Stat augments coming with Power instead of Endurance, enhancements and mods are the places where Endurance is stacked.

Edited by leto_cleon

This is not true for tanks. Defensive Stats are only applicable to white damage and completely useless for yellow damage. Endurance is needed to soak yellow damage, and soak the white damage that passes through you defences. So with Defensive Stat augments coming with Power instead of Endurance, enhancements and mods are the places where Endurance is stacked.

Endo is important, but you get it in every other hilt, armoring, mod, and on 14x augments as well assuming you're stacking the primary stat ones. You can easily hit 23K without even trying very hard, and without using the endurance heavy enhancements anywhere, and that is all you should need to tank anything in the game. The marginal amount of added endo on the endo heavy enhancements is just a waste, and those points are better spent taking the ones that boost the stats instead. If you're hurting that bad for HP and really, really think you need it, then you're better off just going with Fortitude augments to buff that up, and still keeping stat heavy rather than endo heavy enhancements.

Hey this is a very good idea thank you for making the guide it is so much better than the way it is displayed in game.

May I suggest another improvement we could all use on this list:

Black Hole Enhancements are REable and fall under these same categories.

Could you add an entry for each one for the cheapest piece where we can get that kind of enhancement for us to try to learn, that would then be a super valuable list to fully endgame artificers.

Wow, I was just looking for a guide like this last night when I maxed my artiface. Boy oh boy a sticky would be nice but a bookmark should suffice.

Great guide btw.

EDIT: I derped, a mod did link this guide in a sticky.

Edited by Chikun

Endo is important, but you get it in every other hilt, armoring, mod, and on 14x augments as well assuming you're stacking the primary stat ones. You can easily hit 23K without even trying very hard, and without using the endurance heavy enhancements anywhere, and that is all you should need to tank anything in the game. The marginal amount of added endo on the endo heavy enhancements is just a waste, and those points are better spent taking the ones that boost the stats instead. If you're hurting that bad for HP and really, really think you need it, then you're better off just going with Fortitude augments to buff that up, and still keeping stat heavy rather than endo heavy enhancements.

Ah here's also where we differ. I prefer to optimise my defensive stats using aguments, rather than using augments to boost endurance. Tanks should not be using primary stat augments. Primary stat augments are for DPS and Healers. My gear set (save for my hilt) is all fully level 61, and personally the 25K that I have (buffed) is a lot more comfortable. Endurance should not be overlooked as a tanking stat. For me boosting Endurance is in tandem with boosting defence, shield and absorption.

And here's why. When you are faced with yellow (ie internal, elemental), defensive stats are completely completely useless. So defensive stats are really only 1/2 the story for tanking. Lag spikes and mistakes are made by an operations group and the key to recovering from that is the tank still being alive. More health helps the tank hang onto that last little slither of health instead of dropping and needing a rez. This saves the rez for someone else in the ops group.

When all is said and done, endurance is a tanking stat as well. Guardian tanks have a short endurance buff ability (enure), while Shadow and Vanguard tanks can boost endurance using their skill points. The flat boost is not too shabby at all and its a waste to have a smaller base to boost from. (Although not sacrificing mitigation either.) A Guardian Tank at 33K health through enure can eat alot of damage.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...