Disappointed in Darth Malgus's New Empire outcome

AAShadow

Throughout the game I was fascinated by the Sith Lord Darth Malgus and he later became my favorite character of this game. His idea of creating a New Sith Empire was bold and should have been something players can interact with but can't entirely finish of such as dailies on ilum. If the New Empire idea didn't die off so quickly with Malgus's death it could have had some interesting storyline added. With this as an add-on we probably could have increased the Star Wars feel with many battles following this New Empire. They should have kept Malgus alive a bit longer or at least his New Sith Empire or they should bring him back some how the way Darth Maul survived.

The Empire was already outgunned and outnumbered by the Republic when the war restarted, and then took one of the gravest defeats in the annals of military history on Corellia. And then Malgus weakened it even more by starting a civil war. If Malgus' New Empire hadn't been squashed immediately, the actual Empire ought to have stood no chance against the Republic. And keeping the Sith Empire alive through all that would've been unrealistic even by this game's lights.

What they did with Malgus was ultimately pretty good: he was quickly defeated, so the Empire's continued survival was made slightly less improbable. And the Empire ended up adopting many of his saner reforms, albeit in somewhat watered-down form, meaning that fighting for the Empire became slightly less idiotic than it used to be.

Bringing Malgus back would be disappointing, in my opinion. He was a good villain who had one of the best final battles and death scenes in the game (arguably the best), and he actually ended up leaving a legacy to the Empire that wasn't full of the Empire's usual enormous amounts of suck. It would cheapen both of those things to reveal that his death didn't actually happen, or that it didn't mean anything. And compared to the Empire of Darth Marr, Malgus would be significantly less attractive an alternative than he was back on Ilum, so even his resurrection wouldn't really bring the awesomeness of Old Malgus back.

I mean, look what happened when they decided to bring back Revan. He turned out to be evil in a stupid way, not to mention completely insane. It was disappointing to see the protagonist of KotOR portrayed as being a complete psycho and having to be put down like a freaking mad dog on the Foundry. You know, "why couldn't they leave well enough alone"? As far as I can tell, the writers ruined two perfectly good characters - Revan and the Exile - just so they could have them show up in TOR under laughably unrealistic circumstances and act completely out of character. And I didn't even like Revan that much. But I digress.

I see a resurrected Malgus being more like Revan's story arc than anything else: ultimately disappointing for no good reason. The best case scenario is that Zombie Malgus ends up being like Kephess on Asation: vaguely unsettling and unrealistic, but at least not making the character that much worse.

I actually wish we could of joined it. I get why we can't, game isn't ambitious enough for that, but still his vision was a great one too painfully short lived. They should of made him and his coup the big cross-faction crisis instead of the silly Dread Lords (I could never find myself caring about them at all, probably cause no effort was put into giving us any reason to, unlike Malgus). Two flashpoints doesn't do his character justice, especially for people who read Deception.

Even worse now that he's claimed to be dead. I mean before he was like Darth Vader Ep4 dead, as in not dead at all but in the event that "sequels" couldn't happen, he's effectively defeated, they put a lid on it. Now he's Darth Maul dead, which is as dead as any character can ever be now thanks to the Clone Wars folks setting that fun standard. That is to say, he's canonically dead until somebody else decides to retcon it all willy-nilly and we just have to sit around antisipating that the day will eventually come, for better or worse. In this case though I actually want him to come back in some form. Thanks to his book he's one of my all-time favorite SW characters. Best case scenario as far as I'm concerned; let Bioware neglect him so Kemp can white another book about him.

If not, well at least he went out better then Palps I guess. :(

Edited by Doctoglethorpe

#bobafet4life

Dood, he iz so mch more lawlzpwn strongor than sidous. He climbd owt te Sarlc pit!

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me three times **** YOU! Once was bad enough, but for him to survive 2 more times? Just no.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

The final battle was weak, but the build-up to it was well done, whether you knew that it was progressing to it or not. You could see him pondering things by Athiss, becoming ambitious after Red Reaper, and see him teetering on the edge by the time you reach Ilum. Again, the final showdown wasn't much of a fight, but everything leading up to it was great.

The final battle was weak, but the build-up to it was well done, whether you knew that it was progressing to it or not. You could see him pondering things by Athiss, becoming ambitious after Red Reaper, and see him teetering on the edge by the time you reach Ilum. Again, the final showdown wasn't much of a fight, but everything leading up to it was great.

Yep, I find it rather disturbing how arrogant he was to send all of his guards out of the room. Really? Give us a cool fight for once, jeez