Rolling need on boss loot for companions

No, you may not roll need on that boss loot for your companion.

Why?

Because we all have (or will have) companions that can use that loot.

Because we know that's code for 'I'm selling this as soon as I get away from these people.'

Because we already rolled greed on the item before you decided to ask and we have a companion that can use it too.

Because no one but you cares that you never use that one companion you got early on so he has crappy gear.

If they added another button for a companion roll, that would be alright. Except everyone would click that one, because everyone has 5 companions, so most likely they will want it too. And people will just say its for their companion when really they will sell it at the next medical droid. So, we wouldn't need another greed roll.

It's bad enough that we will assume when you need on something for offset, that you actually are building an offset and not just selling it like we all know you do. But we will not add an extra companion element to our false hopes of not being taken for granted.

So, in case you missed it: No, you may not roll need on that boss loot for your companion.

Boo hoo....

I am rolling need on Medium Armor for Vette if there are no Imp Agents in my group....

I will roll need on any item for my companion if everyone in my group either doesn't need the item on their main or already has it.

Some AC's need to gear their companions.....Let me guess, you rolled a DPS and don't understand the concept of TANK/DPS DPS/heal synergy roles with your companion.

Is this a rant because you forgot to consider your companion's gear?

Edited by HolyDestitute

Boo hoo....

I am rolling need on Medium Armor for Vette if there are no Imp Agents in my group....

I will roll need on any item for my companion if everyone in my group either doesn't need the item on their main or already has it.

Some AC's need to gear their companions.....Let me guess, you rolled a DPS and don't understand the concept of TANK/DPS DPS/heal synergy roles with your companion.

Thank god I will never be in your group. I would either kick you or leave it as soon as i saw you roll need on any item that you can't even wear.

Boo hoo....

Gear your companions without flashpoint or when not grouped. If you loot need for a companion in the group without asking your a loser.

I don't mind people asking.

Edited by PlagaNerezza

Boo hoo....

No, I'd say it's a rant because people like you aren't fun to play with.

Yes it is. Learn how to gear a companion without being a toolbox to group with who greeds every item.

I suggest taking cybertech and getting orange gear that you can keep updated for PvE. If you are pve and need help at the basics of why you should do that instead of being a group loot whore please see the crew skills discussion.

You know what? I like getting gear for my companion through flashpoints. But I'm going to make sure no one else needs it, and am going to ask. And I won't sell it unless I made a mistake. I'm going to gear through flashpoints when possible, but not be a dick about it.

I am not being a dick, it was assumed so. I always ask if I can need for my companion.

I trolled the OP for crying about something that is in place for a reason.

Also, my companions are all orange geared. However, those orange items still need mods to keep them current therefore; I will absolutely role on items that are not needing by the group.

And to make comments about not playing PvE properly, I am leveling as an Immortal SW which means that I TANK for Vette. This means that her DPS is absolutely important to my PvE success.

You know what? I like getting gear for my companion through flashpoints. But I'm going to make sure no one else needs it, and am going to ask. And I won't sell it unless I made a mistake. I'm going to gear through flashpoints when possible, but not be a dick about it.

I don't mind, but you do realize that is credits others who win the roll could use. Some of those items are re-sellable for descent credits on the GTN. So while we don't "need" the item I do "NEED" the credits and therefore you are asking us to forgo that money so you don't have to pay or take up easy crafting skills to update your companion.

So you are asking for us to subsidize your companion.

I understand why even when asking people are not thrilled about it. Cybertech and buy a set of armor for the companion. You are way better off anyways. That way you can be max stat blue for your level any point in time if you bother to take the few minutes to craft.

I agree completely.

Just because I can't personaly equip it on my toon doesnt mean that I will not use it. I use my compaionon and so I use his/her gear.

Its very easy to get credits in this game, just because someone wants a chance at a easy 2k credits is not enough reason for me to never roll on gear in a flashpoint for a compaionon that may not be present, just ask first.

If people in your pickup group object... then thats another matter.

I don't mind, but you do realize that is credits others who win the roll could use. Some of those items are re-sellable for descent credits on the GTN. So while we don't "need" the item I do "NEED" the credits and therefore you are asking us to forgo that money so you don't have to pay or take up easy crafting skills to update your companion.

So you are asking for us to subsidize your companion.

I understand why even when asking people are not thrilled about it. Cybertech and buy a set of armor for the companion. You are way better off anyways. That way you can be max stat blue for your level any point in time if you bother to take the few minutes to craft.

You're clueless and missing the point.

While YOU may need the credits, it is considered a gear piece first which is intended to be used.

Any usability of that item trumps your need for credits. Regardless if it is for a companion, DPS/TANK set, alt, or just rolling for mods. There are many different dynamics to this game with the advent of companions. I said earlier, companions are more important to some AC's then others. Who are you to determine what item should be sold for credits?

Furthermore, am I supposed to subsidize my leveling capability so you can have an opportunity to roll on an item just to sell it?

Edited by HolyDestitute

You're clueless and missing the point.

While YOU may need the credits, it is considered a gear piece first which is intended to be used.

Any usability of that item trumps your need for credits. Regardless if it is for a companion, DPS/TANK set, alt, or just rolling for mods. There are many different dynamics to this game with the advent of companions. I said earlier, companions are more important to some AC's then others. Who are you to determine what item should be sold for credits?

Give me one AC where a companion is not needed. And if you are a tank and you aren't using your healer companion then you obviously don't know squat about how to play.

Edited by HogtownDaddy

You have every right to roll need for your companion. They are an extension of your character, so you need to gear them also. There are no rules against this, or the game would not allow you to roll on gear for your companion.

This is the same as wanting to roll on off spec items in WoW. Folks argued over this for years, with still no solution. Try telling your Tank or Healer what they can and can't do there ;).

The problem here, is that I bet you "ask" to need items, after everyone has already clicked greed for that item.

They would have rolled for their companions too, but they were doing the polite thing.

What you are doing is being greedy, and will result in every pug needing everything.

Even the piece you actually need for your main..

How bout people rolling on moddable items they can wear, even though all the mods, and they style of the item is for my class, not theirs? *** does a jedi want smuggler pants??

Like all those mods are cheap or something. I had a damn jedi, who sucked btw, roll need on smuggler pants in FP and won. When i asked ***? He said, oh its cool man, im going to take all the mods out, and buy new ones. WHAT?? I guess he didnt realize its the DAMN MODS that make the item valuable. Not the item. It was a huge upgrade for me. And if you keep your crafting up at all, its not like you have any damn money to go buy top tier mods anyway(unless you sliced prenerf, not sure how it is now)

Anyway, group looting can be a nightmare in this game is you dont have good people with you. Hell I pass on things that are only small upgrades if the other person getting will get a large upgrade. I never roll need for companion gear, cause like you said, everyone has companions. Thats what greed is for. Even if everyone rolls greed, i still greed. If I get it, great, if not, so what. There is gear all over the place for my companion. I'm the one who needs the good stuff, hes fine with hand me downs.

And this reason is why I think we should get loot rewards for the FP quests. I have the worst drop luck sometimes in these things and get nothing but a commendation out of them often. Why we get awesome items for heroics, but nothing from a FP is beyond me. Maybe the later FP quests give something, i sure hope so.

Here's a newsflash: not everyone come from the same MMOs, and looting "ethics" differ widely from one MMO to another. People who started MMO-ing on EQ, WoW, and WoW-clones probably outnumbers the rest, and they are amazingly vocal, so they make it seem like their way is the only way, but its not, and even some pretty recent and popular MMOs have had different "standard ethic", so you can't expect everyone to think like you.

Here's the trick! And it works wonder!

When you make a group, or join one, state clearly what you think the "rules" should be and see if everyone agrees (usually everyone will agree to whatever the first person who states the rules say, no matter what it is)

TADAH! Problem solved.

Geez that was hard! Instead of assuming your way is the only way and that everyone else is a moron for not thinking WoW or EQ were the holy grails of MMO communities.

I can get away with it because Dr Lokin (ie my healing companion) is medium armor and cunning, IE exact same as me, so i can just roll for myself and give to companion on the sly.

But no in seriousness whenever im in a flashpoint group if im the only IA anyway then all the cunning medium armor stuff comes my way regardless, so i never have to consider companion loot, and if there are others that can use cunning in my group (other IA's) then we work something out between us.

Edited by Tectonics

Give me one AC where a companion is not needed. And if you are a tank and you aren't using your healer companion then you obviously don't know squat about how to play.

If your a tank using a healer companion your leveling far far slower then a tank using a DPS companion just saying....

Your opinion on what companions to use it is just that, your opinion. Don't go spouting it out as if its the bible of how to play or putting other players down because they are not doing what you do.