Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

need better incentive for open world pvp and more open world pvp in general

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
need better incentive for open world pvp and more open world pvp in general

Lhancelot
03.13.2018 , 08:10 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by publicenemies View Post
We dont need anymore warzones or instanced pvp.
If you don't like instanced PVP, you came to the wrong game.

DWho
03.13.2018 , 12:10 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
... So there were just as many pve people willing to jump flagged people without flagging first...
I love this particular argument for two reasons.

The first is that It never was about PVP or PVE players doing it. It was about players exploiting the flagging system to grief other players regardless of whether they were PVP or PVE.

The second is that someone out doing their dailies generally was not going to be equipped to deal with a fully equipped PVP player whereas a flagged PVP player is expecting trouble and is going to be geared to deal with it. Doing away with Expertise leveled the playing field somewhat but PVP players were generally better equipped to deal with "greifing" than their PVE counterparts. Which is I suppose why they generally did not see "griefing" as an issue. Once again a small number of bad apples ruined it for the rest.

Mubrak
03.13.2018 , 01:16 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
But as per usual, they ignored it and created divisions between communities for years as this continued.
As true as that often is, in this case it's not fair, as BW actually did a lot to try and prevent involuntary flagging.

Snowballs and tinsel bombs saw several fixes (enemies could flag you by throwing them at you, once that was fixed you could still flag yourself by throwing at flagged players (friend and enemy) until that was fixed as well.

When healers refused to heal flagged players in ops and flashpoints, BW changed it so healing a flagged player no longer flagged you while in a PVE instance.

They also did quite a few changes to targeting:
- Yellow is no longer hit by AOE when there is a red in the area
- Autotarget no longer jumps from last red to yellow
- You can no longer tab-target from red to yellow

What they could not fix was a stealther simply sitting still, hoping you continue your AOE after the last mob died
They also never prevented companion AOE heals from healing flagged friends.

It was a lost cause. As soon as BW plugged one gap, the "OWPVP enthusiasts" found a way to open another one.
Tune down reflections to pre 5.5 values!
Move inventory tabs back to the bottom!

http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

septru
03.13.2018 , 03:24 PM | #14
There is acutally a very healthy amount of OWPVP on Satele Shan during the Illum event. You'll generally find 6-8 players both Imp and Pub fighting while waiting inbetween pops. And during prime time hours, there will typically be be 14-20 players.
-Prum, Satele Shan
"The real endgame is general chat."

TrixxieTriss
03.13.2018 , 08:55 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Mubrak View Post
As true as that often is, in this case it's not fair, as BW actually did a lot to try and prevent involuntary flagging.

Snowballs and tinsel bombs saw several fixes (enemies could flag you by throwing them at you, once that was fixed you could still flag yourself by throwing at flagged players (friend and enemy) until that was fixed as well.

When healers refused to heal flagged players in ops and flashpoints, BW changed it so healing a flagged player no longer flagged you while in a PVE instance.

They also did quite a few changes to targeting:
- Yellow is no longer hit by AOE when there is a red in the area
- Autotarget no longer jumps from last red to yellow
- You can no longer tab-target from red to yellow

What they could not fix was a stealther simply sitting still, hoping you continue your AOE after the last mob died
They also never prevented companion AOE heals from healing flagged friends.

It was a lost cause. As soon as BW plugged one gap, the "OWPVP enthusiasts" found a way to open another one.
That wasn’t a fix, it was abandaid that kept falling off because it was an exploit that kept letting the stealths do that.
Like I said the easiest fix was to prevent any interaction what so ever between flagged and non flagged player and they just didn’t want to do that because they liked the idea that a no flagged person should be able to jump a flagged person with zero warning.
So no, in my opinion, they never tried to fix the problem or listen to what the actual problems was.

TrixxieTriss
03.13.2018 , 08:58 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by septru View Post
There is acutally a very healthy amount of OWPVP on Satele Shan during the Illum event. You'll generally find 6-8 players both Imp and Pub fighting while waiting inbetween pops. And during prime time hours, there will typically be be 14-20 players.
Babe, that is not healthy, lol, that’s sad. Remember when the illum event first started? Even 18 months later in the following events we had multiple instances of people doing OWPVP or 20+ players in each one,

TrixxieTriss
03.13.2018 , 09:17 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by DWho View Post
I love this particular argument for two reasons.

The first is that It never was about PVP or PVE players doing it. It was about players exploiting the flagging system to grief other players regardless of whether they were PVP or PVE.

The second is that someone out doing their dailies generally was not going to be equipped to deal with a fully equipped PVP player whereas a flagged PVP player is expecting trouble and is going to be geared to deal with it. Doing away with Expertise leveled the playing field somewhat but PVP players were generally better equipped to deal with "greifing" than their PVE counterparts. Which is I suppose why they generally did not see "griefing" as an issue. Once again a small number of bad apples ruined it for the rest.
I have to say, I didn’t mind getting jumped by pvers that much. Actually I rather enjoyed it, as long as there weren’t more than 3-4.
When I was on my Sorc, I would have Xallek fully decked out in ranked dps gear and while they we’re targeting me, I set him to focus one and we’d blow them apart and move onto the next. They never considered targeting Xalek first.
When on my Sin, I would farm mats on a Yavin completely unstealthed to encourage getting pve ganked. Once again I had Xalek and we would have fun.
I can’t count how many times I got called a hacker because they had epic gear and all they thought I had was low pve gear.
I didn’t win every fight if there were a bunch. But I never once lost to pve guys in 1v2 and hardly ever a 1v3 on my inquisitors (which is what I was using to farm mats).

On a side note. I really miss those section x skirmishes we used to have. Someone would come to the fleet and say “it’s on”.,. The reps are attacking our base. Then we’d jump to section x and attack and get into their base. Then they’d get reinforcements and push us back to the world boss. Then we’d pull the boss into the fight and run.
So much fun, kill, die, respawn, hide, ambush... it’s what pvp should be about. Those fights reminded me so much of some of the WoW battle grounds, where you would have to capture the other teams base and you had a long way to run to get back, but you could get ambushed or run into resistance.
That’s my idea of real open world pvp.

EmanoWanga
03.14.2018 , 02:26 AM | #18
How about giving people very little ranked rating for kills in open world PVP?

*grabs popcorn*

nepochop
03.14.2018 , 02:40 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by EmanoWanga View Post
How about giving people very little ranked rating for kills in open world PVP?
Haha, its been nice knowing you!

Yezzan
03.14.2018 , 05:33 AM | #20
First of all the instances can't handle tons of players fighting each other, all at once. I believe a guild, who had an event on Iokath displayed that. There was massive lag.

Plus IDK why people are waiting on BW to do anything about OWPVP. Plan your own stuff and play. Thats the point of MMO.