Leveling to 50 - it's way too fast

Trimsic

I can see the same issue as in the Beta version of the game: leveling to 50 is way too fast.

For instance, when I started Tatooine yesterday I was almost level 30. Tatooine is supposed to be done by players whose level is 24-28, and indeed the quests and the mobs on this planet are of that level.

My play style is rather very common: I explore the content of the game: all quests, 1 or 2 space combats per day, flash points done once, 1 or 2 war zones a day, etc... And I'm not bashing at all, as I hate that.

The reasons for being always ahead of content in this game are:

- Quests are rewarding too much XP

- War zones are rewarding too much XP

- Space combats are rewarding too much XP

As a consequence, you can see people that have already reached level 50...

Now, imagine I'm a Bioware developer who spent 5 years on that project, and I can see people being level 50 in 3 days. When you know all the content that is available in this game between level 1 and 50, this is just an awful situation.

If I were a Bioware project leader, I would know two important things: 1) there are plenty of bugs left in this game, and 2) the content is not yet finished / polished. I agree that there are no show-stoppers, but there are still a lot of severe and medium issues that are painful for the general gameplay. It takes time to fix these long list of issues, and therefore having the possibility to reach the level 50 so quickly does not give the developers the opportunity to fix them all on time.

Therefore, as many games before SWTOR that failed for the exact same reasons, I'm starting to doubt about the future of this game.

=> Biowave, please open up your eyes, and react before it's too late.

Edit 12/29

On my server, there are already many players who have reached level 50, PvP rank 50, and have the full PvP set... just 2 weeks after the early launch and 1 week after the official launch. Go figure.

It's way too fast. What shall Bioware do now, as those players with such a stuff will just outrageously dominate the other players in the battlefield ?

Edited by Trimsic

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if im wrong but part of the point of SWTOR was that when you reach 50 you try another other the unique story arcs, the idea is they want you to try playing with a different perspective, different experiences etc.

I would simply say you are probably playing way more on average per day than there average player. To do all quests, a couple flight missions, a flashpoint, and a couple warfronts in a day would make me think you are playing 5+ hrs a day. I may be wrong and you may just be verry efficient. Are you watching all of the dialog? No? Then you arent the average user (meaning you played in beta, know the story, and are skipping stuff intended to be a timesink).

I dunno maybe I'm wrong but it feels slower leveling than it did in wow and rift which feel by far faster than here. Took me a week to get to 50 in rift and I never played beta. I'm not even 30 here and tomorrow will be a week.

Correct me if im wrong but part of the point of SWTOR was that when you reach 50 you try another other the unique story arcs, the idea is they want you to try playing with a different perspective, different experiences etc.

Pretty much what others have said: a lot of focus is on alts and the STORY (oh my god a story in an MMO, holy **** its a NOVEL idea).

Also, there's no point in doing all the extra quests on a planet; you really only need to do the main class quest and any hub quests around that area. Anything else is just extra and will overlevel you for the next zone (not a bad thing, but you are complaining about it like it is)

It's possible to out-level the content if you do other content, yes, but I think they wanted the leveling to still work for players who don't do the flashpoints, heroics, warzones, space combat, or anything else other than the quests. If you do anything else, you're going to level faster.

As to whether level 50 comes to fast or not, how many hours does it take for someone who does just the regular questing? 40? 100? I've probably put in 20 or so and I'm level 19. I think it's about right.

My play style is rather very common: I explore the content of the game: all quests, 1 or 2 space combats per day, flash points done once, 1 or 2 war zones a day, etc...
I'll agree that leveling should take longer. I would love if the leveling to max took months, though I might not say that in a years time.

That said, I don't know how common your play style is. Maybe for someone who is off on Christmas break? Sure. For someone who is still working till the 23rd and has a house to run, and shopping to do, and chores, etc. Maybe not so common.

I only do Quests at the moment. I don't do warzones, and I rarely, if ever, do the heroics. I'm about to leave Taris at 23 headed to NarShaada/Tattoine, which is right on target. The world levels are based on the above playstyle. They simply don't take heroics, warzones, space combat, etc., into calculations. I really don't think they have to, because if that were the case, every player would be -forced- to grind warzones, flashpoints, heroics, and daily space combat in order to keep pace with the class stories and world levels. That's no fun, and even more "on rails" than the current system. The game is designed so you have alternatives. If you want to do every possible skill gain imaginable, then great, but don't complain when you actually do level FASTER than other people. Edited by Demontang

They are banking heavily on people making LOTS of alts. The fully voiced aspect is also going to make new content slower to put out as well. I am curious how they are going to try to handle people easily reaching 50 inside the trail period.

It's day 2. How quickly are people wanting new content?

People have taken days off from work to play this game and they are doing it in 10 hour or more chunks. It was bound to happen that we'd have 50s this early.

It's possible to out-level the content if you do other content, yes, but I think they wanted the leveling to still work for players who don't do the flashpoints, heroics, warzones, space combat, or anything else other than the quests. If you do anything else, you're going to level faster.

As to whether level 50 comes to fast or not, how many hours does it take for someone who does just the regular questing? 40? 100? I've probably put in 20 or so and I'm level 19. I think it's about right.

I mostly just quest, im at probably 45 hours and lvl 32. things really slowed down after 30.

I have found this game is slower than most at Launch. Star Trek Online took me a week to max level, and nothing left to do. The arc from 1-50 was the same for all types of characters as well, so I dropped that game.

I have reached level 24 since I started a week ago, and I play way too much (ask my wife). I might hit 50 in the trial period, but then I am going to fire up the next storyline, and the next, and the next, until I have done them all.

I have found this game is slower than most at Launch. Star Trek Online took me a week to max level, and nothing left to do. The arc from 1-50 was the same for all types of characters as well, so I dropped that game.

I have reached level 24 since I started a week ago, and I play way too much (ask my wife). I might hit 50 in the trial period, but then I am going to fire up the next storyline, and the next, and the next, until I have done them all.

Well, maybe not agent or smuggler, I freaking hate the cover system.

I would simply say you are probably playing way more on average per day than there average player. To do all quests, a couple flight missions, a flashpoint, and a couple warfronts in a day would make me think you are playing 5+ hrs a day. I may be wrong and you may just be verry efficient. Are you watching all of the dialog? No? Then you arent the average user (meaning you played in beta, know the story, and are skipping stuff intended to be a timesink).

I dunno maybe I'm wrong but it feels slower leveling than it did in wow and rift which feel by far faster than here. Took me a week to get to 50 in rift and I never played beta. I'm not even 30 here and tomorrow will be a week.

I agree with Xenogias,

While the first few levels came pretty fast, I've been playing for a whole week now and have reached level 15 on my main toon and level 8 on an alt, and I'm guessing that leveling is going to be even slower as I get higher in level. I find the pace to be great. To be honest, I'm just experiencing the journey and not even paying much attention to the levels. Found my first datacron in Coruscant today and was excited to reach it.

The trying of alts is a part of swtor experience, yes, but when you can see through 8 lvl 50s in two months, I think that's a bit overdoing it. In my opinion the leveling should be slowed down, at least where warzones and space combat are considered. Another possibility is to give us an option to choose the rewards on warzones - either XP or something else, or to give us the choice to turn off XP on warzones.

I like PvP and now I can't do it while leveling, since I want to also experience the planets, to explore and to take my time with the quests. I'm lvl 24 still on Taris, haven't yet set a foot on Nar Shaddaa, which I'm probably overleveled by the time I get there. This is so not good. I was thinking of skipping Nar Shaddaa altogether and to return there with an alt, but my class story leads me there in any case. *sigh* Choices choices...

Seriously? I got the pre-release last week, I've been playing a couple hours per day, and my max is only level 14. I've rolled a couple of alts that are around level 10 now so I could see the different play styles, but the leveling speed seems just about right to me.

im putting in alot of hours daily and im only level 20.

And alot of people dont want to play alts, the conversations get boring after a while and we dont want to sit through them again, even if its different conversations.

but i agree, leveling is way too fast.

If you got to level 50 in three days I want to see how they did it because over the last year in beta that could not happen.

Time wise.. story wise, server wise.. I do not think it is possible without a exploit or cheating method.

Time wise clicking space bar faster then a monkey on crack could still not make that happen... in the way it was intended.

I agree it is pretty fast but at the same time, there is no reason to just play one thing.. or not start into the endgame.

There is more to come, I do not think they are done with the endgame yet as they have clearly stated.

It's day 2. How quickly are people wanting new content?

People have taken days off from work to play this game and they are doing it in 10 hour or more chunks. It was bound to happen that we'd have 50s this early.

The 50s aren't usual people though. Heck, they aren't even powerlevelers. I played the beta HEAVILY (was in the first waves earlier this year), and I've met people who were VERY fast at hitting cap....but even they weren't first to 50. The only people that hit 50 within the week were people exploiting repeatable quests/grinding this particular fast spawn.

Normal people can expect something a little short of WoWs 1-60, but remember its voiced and quests are all WELL above the quality you see in WoW. Not to mention the fact that classes have a unique main story, and Republic/Empire have VASTLY different sidequests.

If you got to level 50 in three days I want to see how they did it because over the last year in beta that could not happen.

Time wise.. story wise, server wise.. I do not think it is possible without a exploit or cheating method.

Time wise clicking space bar faster then a monkey on crack could still not make that happen... in the way it was intended.

I agree it is pretty fast but at the same time, there is no reason to just play one thing.. or not start into the endgame.

There is more to come, I do not think they are done with the endgame yet as they have clearly stated.

I talked to one of the first 50s on my server, found out he wasn't in beta, but followed a website that had a few beta folks on it; apparently there was a quest mob that had fast respawns AND was repeatable (and it wasn't reported to BW during beta...), something in the ~lvl 25-30 range; I reported it to BW, hopefully it's fixed up.

Edited by LeSamourai

Not even level 20 yet and been playing for a solid week myself. I still am on Balmorra and have like 20 quests left to do including alot of heroic ones. I'm exploring every inch of every planet i have been on, searching for holo's, datacron's and crafting materials.

I rarely use the run speed function and just take my time, doing my thing i guess. I also never hit the spacebar on anything, and maybe all the people that are leveling so fast, are doing just that, which is ok, everyone is different.

You can rush to the top of the hill, but since this is a new mmorpg, and one that really is meant to take your time and engulf yourself in the story, it will be a lonely place until thousands more catch up.

I figure for myself, it will take me way more than a week to get through the 20's, and even possibly longer to get through the 30's/40's to reach level 50. I would say i have at least 2 months before i am a 50 with the way i play.

Seriously? I got the pre-release last week, I've been playing a couple hours per day, and my max is only level 14. I've rolled a couple of alts that are around level 10 now so I could see the different play styles, but the leveling speed seems just about right to me.

I agree with this.

I don't get more than an hour or two of playtime everynight so it's nice to level up once or twice (until higher levels).

Edited by jleelittle

I'm currently level 31 and my total game time is 3 days and 8 hours. I think the leveling is fine because i will be making multiple characters to view all the story lines at some point.

Once they add more content for those people who have already reached level 50 there will be more stuff to do. As well as higher level caps with feature expansion packs?