An open letter to our players

BenIrving

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really feel like this is part of the reason they do livestreams. Because it's harder to take the time to find specific parts of a livestream video, splice it out, and post about it, than it is to simply bump or quote words that they've written down. So it's easier to spew BS on a stream and have people just forget about it, or not bother with the effort to quote it back in their face.

I really feel like this is part of the reason they do livestreams. Because it's harder to take the time to find specific parts of a livestream video, splice it out, and post about it, than it is to simply bump or quote words that they've written down. So it's easier to spew BS on a stream and have people just forget about it, or not bother with the effort to quote it back in their face.

Nailed it. To quote TUXs: "EXACTLY!"

EXACTL...hey...wait a minute...:mad::p

I think you are on to something there.

:confused::eek: Really? Cuz if it's true, could you please gimme the winning Powerball numbers...I'll cut you in for half - and since you know the future, you know I'll keep my word ;)

I can't. They are "randomly" selected by EA marketing team after careful consideration and the prize is given to the first player who typed "Tait" in the stream. :D

• 2 months later...
Hi there!

My name is Ben Irving, Producer for Star Wars: The Old Republic. I don’t often make posts in the forums, in fact, this may be my first ever post. Despite that, our whole team, myself included try to digest all of the internet for SWTOR information – The forums, Reddit, Facebook, YouTube, etc. Recently there have been questions and concerns around the quality of our releases and the ongoing support for SWTOR and I wanted to stop by to address those concerns.

First off, I want to apologize for some of the issues you have experienced in the last couple of months. The monthly chapter release schedule is new and it has come with some unexpected bugs. It has caused problems for some of you and I want to say I am sorry. At our core, the SWTOR team are all gamers, just like you. We empathize with the excitement of wanting to play a great game only to be blocked by a problem. We spend all of our energy striving to make SWTOR the best game possible and when bugs and other issues get in the way of your player experience, we take it to heart. We are committed to doing better and I think Chapter XII: Visions in the Dark shows we are serious about listening to your concerns and making meaningful changes to address them - a high quality chapter, released on time that we hope has met the expectations of our players.

Onto the future. Is SWTOR going to receive ongoing support? The answer is absolutely yes.

It's worth starting with the things we have already announced, we talk about them on the monthly Producer Live Stream but I think they are still worth mentioning. We had the launch of Knights of the Fallen Empire – 9 incredible story driven chapters, 14 companion recruitment missions, Star Fortress, 5 new player levels, 30 flashpoints upgraded to be challenging again, 50 operation bosses upgraded to be challenging again, too many heroic quests to count, a revamp of the 1-60 levelling experience and a huge number of quality of life improvements. More recently we have kicked off our monthly chapter cadence and our third installment – Chapter XII: Visions in the Dark – was just released. That cadence will take us through most of the year ending with Chapter XVI, our story finale for Knights of the Fallen Empire. In addition to all the monthly chapters we have built great supporting content – Recruitment missions to explore the galaxy with some of your favorite companions, the Odessen Proving Grounds Warzone, the Rishi Cove Arena, the Eternal Championship and new levels for crafting. That’s actually more content following a major expansion than we have ever released and the team is really excited for all of you to play it.

The harder part to address, because you have to take my word for it, are all the features and content we are working on that we haven’t yet announced. If you follow Charles Boyd or Paul Marino on social media you may have seen some hints of this. The team recently visited our MoCap studio to create new animations. Charles Boyd spent a week at our VO studio recording more lines of dialogue for future story content. The two most exciting things to share are that our writers are deep into the plot summaries for the next season's worth of chapters and we have started the early design phase for new, non-chapter, content. You all know the drill here, I can’t talk about any of the specifics (yet) but what I can say is that we have some REALLY cool stuff to talk about later this year and the whole SWTOR team can’t wait to announce it. Soon. TM.

Knights of the Fallen Empire is the most successful expansion we have ever produced. It received critical acclaim from press and fan sites but most importantly, it has been successful because all of you have supported us through the expansion launch and the release of the monthly Chapters. In the eyes of all of our partners, SWTOR is a huge success. BioWare supports this game. EA supports this game. Lucasfilm supports this game. Disney supports this game. In fact, for a game that has been live for almost 5 years, we are receiving an incredible amount of support from all of our partners. It’s both amazing and humbling.

If there is anything I would like people reading this to take away it’s this: SWTOR is absolutely being supported into the future. We have a lot of content coming over the next few months and even more exciting things to talk about later this year. All of us here at BioWare appreciate your ongoing support and we are committed to providing the best experience possible.

It’s because of you, our players, that this game continues to thrive. Thank you for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Ben Irving

We are nearly one year later and honestly the content did not felt that big.

Also we fail fail to see that the game is being supported regarding you don't even have the budget to publish new WZ nor OP. Hell it's gonna take you nearly a year to build a new OP! Not to mention major bug not being fixed like the gear preview window or PvP hacks...

We are nearly one year later and honestly the content did not felt that big.

Also we fail fail to see that the game is being supported regarding you don't even have the budget to publish new WZ nor OP. Hell it's gonna take you nearly a year to build a new OP! Not to mention major bug not being fixed like the gear preview window or PvP hacks...

Actually, they addressed the PvP hacks in a twitch stream not long ago.

As has been the case with every expansion they don't drop everything right away, there's always a few more good sized chunks that come after the initial release of an expansion.

Actually, they addressed the PvP hacks in a twitch stream not long ago.

As has been the case with every expansion they don't drop everything right away, there's always a few more good sized chunks that come after the initial release of an expansion.

LoL, they did nothing about pvp hacks except ban the 2-3 people who were flaunting it. There are less blatant hacks still happening

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Knights of the Fallen Empire is the most successful expansion we have ever produced. It received critical acclaim from press and fan sites but most importantly, it has been successful because all of you have supported us through the expansion launch and the release of the monthly Chapters. In the eyes of all of our partners, SWTOR is a huge success. BioWare supports this game. EA supports this game. Lucasfilm supports this game. Disney supports this game. In fact, for a game that has been live for almost 5 years, we are receiving an incredible amount of support from all of our partners. It’s both amazing and humbling.

FWIW; I have only recently returned to this game after taking my first break from MMO's since I started playing them in the 90's.

I picked this game up back near launch and had great fun playing through the class story lines, but found that I then became board at "End Game", something I had found common in most modern MMO's. I believe this was in no small part because I had grown board of grinding raids for gear, to then grind the new raids for new gear, as the idea of what "End Game" should be.

Since returning however, I find I am actually very curious as to how things will progress. It seems like the game has taken the first few steps down the road of becoming entirely scalable, by which I mean there is more content now which can be accessed by more than 1 player architype while varying the rewards they receive based on difficulty.

This could tie in with the GC way of obtaining gear, as any content solo through raid is all working towards the same goal, though I would just get rid of the unassembled components and make unassembled gear pieces purchasable directly with command tokens, that way everyone has the RNG and token paths available, you just gain additional command tokens as rewards for PVP, GSF, harder content, etc. Turn them into a legacy bound currency and it would solve some of the alt issues also I expect.

One thing which I have seen which has been a bit disappointing to me though is some systems with what seem like a great deal of potential which have been abandoned. The eternal championship is probably the easiest example, I had great fun playing through that, I'm not going to pretend I didn’t get frustrated with a few of the fights at the time either! That system though, I would have loved to see it expanded upon for different group sizes, or even 1v1 or 2v2 PVP, it just seems like a lost opportunity to me. GSF, though I do play a match every now and again when it pops before a warzone, I still think should have had some kind of PvE added also, though I expect that isn’t as easy to address as it is for me to say.

PvP on the other hand I am finding a LOT more enjoyable now that I don’t need to have PvP specific gear, that always put me off in the past, I just wish everyone didn’t have such a massive health pool, it can make things really unbalanced if one side has no healer, and a bit boring if there are too many healers as you just stand and whack each other for most of the match.

So ye, overall, I am having a lot more fun, and feel I have access to a lot more content whether playing on my own or with my preferred small group, if more content continues to be made available whether newly developed or past content redesigned to allow different playstyles access. If the game really is going to continue down this path, I can see myself sticking around for far longer than I did originally, as I just have a lot more to do without repeating the same old content until it becomes stale.

Also on a side note; Strongholds, probably my most wanted feature in SWTOR as it stands, a personal GTN sales vendor I can place in my stronghold which people can choose to visit rather than purchasing directly from the GTN, which will then bypass the GTN fee as it is bought directly, and allow me to place items for sale for longer than 2 days. Would help strongholds become a more utilised part of the game and add some quality of life for crafters. Also an opportunity for selling the personal GTN terminals on the cartel market (I suppose you could use multiple?) and generating a bit of extra revenue.

You talk about new content but yet you still haven't fixed the massive amounts of bugs that are already existing.

Please, for the love of god, fix the broken things first.

ok this does not bode well for me to see a post like this from 2016... I quit playing in 2013 because of stuff just like this... in game bugs that have been reported over and over and over again an not addressed, alot of these bugs being in the story line instances where class progression is / was at stake.... not being able to complete part of the story line is what made me leave years ago.... i was hoping after a few years ea/ bioware would have fixed stuff.. I have / had multipl toons across multiple servers and all classes and found the same issue progression gets halted because of unfixed bugs.... the game idea is great, been a fan of Star Wars since the 1977 release I dig all things SW and this game could be huge but if this post is as it looks, to be indicating that there are still major unfixed bugs ingame... =( well then ... lol back to WoW i go =P lol (yes love that game too ever since the original warcraft =P )

ok this does not bode well for me to see a post like this from 2016... I quit playing in 2013 because of stuff just like this... in game bugs that have been reported over and over and over again an not addressed, alot of these bugs being in the story line instances where class progression is / was at stake.... not being able to complete part of the story line is what made me leave years ago.... i was hoping after a few years ea/ bioware would have fixed stuff.. I have / had multipl toons across multiple servers and all classes and found the same issue progression gets halted because of unfixed bugs.... the game idea is great, been a fan of Star Wars since the 1977 release I dig all things SW and this game could be huge but if this post is as it looks, to be indicating that there are still major unfixed bugs ingame... =( well then ... lol back to WoW i go =P lol (yes love that game too ever since the original warcraft =P )

All I will say is I have 29 characters and have been through each story multiple times.

Never hit a progression stopping bug.

What are yours?

All I will say is I have 29 characters and have been through each story multiple times.

Never hit a progression stopping bug.

What are yours?

I'd like to know that, too. With all the problems I have with the game recently, I have had no problem with leveling. I have almost 50 characters. To me, the original stories are now the best part of the game since they've buggered the end game so completely.

Subscription Plans

You have 1 day of subscription play time remaining.

The letter could have made sense in 2013. It sure is as hell was not true in 2016 and most definitely the game is very poorly supported now. In fact, all decision makers in BW Austin side need to replaced for the game to have any shot of surviving for more than 2 years.