So how does a Republic pilot get Hydrospanner without using T7-01 on Engineering?

Trying to set up a Quick-Charge/Hydrospanner Flashfire build to see how it performs in comparison to an Evasion Flashfire, as outlined in Siraka's guide: https://shadowlandsreconnaissancewing.enjin.com/forum/m/34025565/viewthread/31413648-t2s-flashfiresting

. Components include:

Primary: Burst Lasers: Improved Firing Arc, Improved Shield Damage

Secondary: Cluster Missiles: Ammo, Double Volley

Systems: Targeting Telemetry: Target Prediction, Precision Targeting

Shields: Quick-Charge Shields: Reduced Cooldown

Engines: Power Dive: Increased Turning

Armor: Reinforced Armor

Capacitor: Damage Capacitor

Reactor: Large Reactor

Thrusters: Turning Thrusters

Copilot: T7-01

Offensive: Qyzen Fess

Defensive: Tanno Vik

Tactical: Elara Dorne

Engineering: T7-01

The idea of this build is to trade Evasion for stronger shields, hull, and self-repair, so I can withstand sustained fire and, most importantly, SURVIVE PROTON TORPEDOS. Because I'm running Hydrospanner instead of Wingman, I'm opting for Clusters using Qyzen to maximize their firing arc for lock-ons, and I've traded Threat Evasion for Target Prediction on TT so I can hit easier with Bursts.

The problem is finding a decent copilot for the Hydrospanner ability. Of all of my available crew, apparently T7 is the one of only two copilots with Hydrospanner, the other being B-3G9, and he's not much better. He has 6% Accuracy, which is good, and Rapid Reload, which is likely crap on a Scout, while T7 has Efficient Blasters and Power to Blasters, both of which probably aren't bad on a Bursts scout, but I'd much rather have Efficient Engines at the very least.

Are these really my only two options for Hydrospanner? There's no one better for Pub side?

Yes BG and T1 are the only options on Republic side for Hydrospanner. In my opinion the engine power passives are worth significantly more then the firing arc passive so if you Hydrospanner you always go with the BG option on Republic side.

Having said that, the build you're looking at was from way at the start of 5.5 when EMP missile was bugged and dealing full damage AOE. This is why a high health + Hydrospanner build was used back then. Now that EMP correctly only deals half damage on AOE it's not really needed anymore. That isn't to say taking Hydrospanner is a terrible idea, it will let you survive a Proton like you're looking to do all you need to do is use it when the Proton hits you and it will out heal the damage overtime effect. However sacrificing your evasion on a Scout is a very bad idea in my opinion, you're really opening yourself up to just getting absolutely melted by lasers.

Yes BG and T1 are the only options on Republic side for Hydrospanner. In my opinion the engine power passives are worth significantly more then the firing arc passive so if you Hydrospanner you always go with the BG option on Republic side.

Having said that, the build you're looking at was from way at the start of 5.5 when EMP missile was bugged and dealing full damage AOE. This is why a high health + Hydrospanner build was used back then. Now that EMP correctly only deals half damage on AOE it's not really needed anymore. That isn't to say taking Hydrospanner is a terrible idea, it will let you survive a Proton like you're looking to do all you need to do is use it when the Proton hits you and it will out heal the damage overtime effect. However sacrificing your evasion on a Scout is a very bad idea in my opinion, you're really opening yourself up to just getting absolutely melted by lasers.

Truth be told I actually prefer Running Interference as my Copilot ability, which works out fine because Tanno Vik is an ideal Defensive choice as well, same passives as Nadia. And Bursts tend to have enough accuracy at 1500M or less anyway. But since I've adopted using Pods instead of Clusters, I kind of need Wingman to give them the accuracy they need when firing off-center, especially in a turning battle. And honestly, the Tactical options for Wingman aren't that great either. I just settle for Akaavi Spar because the Comm Boost makes her a better pick than Iresso, but I know Silent Running isn't really a good choice on a Flashfire to begin with.

If Running Interference is still fine for a Flash and it can get by without needing Wingman on Bursts and Pods, then I will take Tanno Vik as my copilot instead, and go with Elara Dorne on Tactical. But it all depends on how much Pods rely on Accuracy buffs.

Edited by Loadsamonie

Here's a little tip, don't worry very much about Sensor stuff, if you're going with Running interference or Wingman always just use whatever tactical crew member has those co pilot abilities. Sensor stuff really isn't very important because of the 15000m minimum sensor range, no matter how much dampening someone has you can always see someone at 15000m.

You definitely don't want to sacrifice important defensive stats to gain one of the copilot abilities you can easily get on a tactical crew member.

Here's a little tip, don't worry very much about Sensor stuff, if you're going with Running interference or Wingman always just use whatever tactical crew member has those co pilot abilities. Sensor stuff really isn't very important because of the 15000m minimum sensor range, no matter how much dampening someone has you can always see someone at 15000m.

You definitely don't want to sacrifice important defensive stats to gain one of the copilot abilities you can easily get on a tactical crew member.

I can get both with Tanno Vik; he has the best Defensive abilities as well as Running Interference.

Power to Shields

Response Tuning

The same exact passives as Nadia Grell/Vector.

That of course assumes that Pods are good enough without needing Wingman.

Edited by Loadsamonie

Yep you're right about Tanno Vik my mistake.

I don't think you absolutely need Wingman for Rocket pods, I think Running Interference is fine. It just means you want to be more defensive minded then offensive, that can be great for tanking nodes.