What role do you mostly set your companion as?

FierceJesus

Hey all, I've recently made my yearly return to SWTOR. Ever since they removed gear stats for companions, I'm almost always ran my comp as a healer and set my character as DPS. Is this the most common way to run missions/heroics with a companion? Every time I've ever really set my comp to DPS we take much more damage and are 2x more likely to die and to be honest I don't think I ever ran a comp as a tank. Just curious what majority of you run.

Depends on my role. I am having quite good success with my sniper when my companion is set to tank. It allows me to really dish out the damage.

My mercenary, I use all three roles depending on where i am at.

My default is healer, though. That is what my other classes use.

For levelling I have companions set to dps or passive. It's the only way to learn more than your basic abilities.

By endgame for regular open-world I either run with a dps companion, or no companion at all.

For harder content (solo'ing vet/master flashpoints) the comp is usually set to heal while I run as dps.

During solo play I always have my comp set to heals (and I'm always DPS). I've experimented with other setups, but haven't found any real benefit to doing otherwise. If I set my comp to DPS, then the fights go faster, but we have to stop constantly to heal up - so, overall, same time spent.

I never set my companion to tank - in solo PvE there's really no need for a tank.

Note - even when set to heal, the companion can still do some damage when they don't need to heal (which, of course, depends upon the strength of the foes, etc). Also, a melee healer such as Bowdaar, will act somewhat as a tank while set to heals. (They don't Taunt or "hold agro", but they do tend to keep the foes busy - especially if you are ranged.)

Occasionally, during group play - such as in a Flashpoint when someone DCs or quits, and they're replaced by a companion - the companion's role may depend upon the make up of the rest of the group.

Note also that all the companions I use regularly are influence level 50

Edited by JediQuaker

Like most people i use healing comp for DPS toons unless too easy content like daylies were DPS+DPS makes things a lot faster.

I also play tanks and while a lot of pople decide to gain max lvl as DPS and then respect to tank, i prefer leveling as tank. For that i use DPS companion. tank toon + healer comp you can render yourself extreamly hard to kill but takes too long for you to kill things. I try to avoid that except for really difficult stuff.

DPS most of the time, doesn't matter what class I'm playing. Not gonna learn to use my cooldowns properly if I'm being babysat through content by a healing comp. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

However, if I'm soloing something I really shouldn't, then they get set to heal.. :w_tongue:

I usually set my companions to DPS to make things quicker. For tougher fights, setting them to Tank is often preferable over Healing for me. When companions Tank, they still spend time attacking and dealing damage in addition to tanking damage. This way you get the benefit of taking less damage yourself while also having a companion that deals damage.

When a companion is set to Heal, they often spend most of their time healing rather than doing anything else. This is still the best option for very tough fights, but I personally prioritize setting a companion to DPS, then Tank, and then Heal based on how tough fights are.

• 1 year later...

Tank mostly for my main. Im a burst dps operative. I have enough heals to save myself if im losing HP.

If im soloing group content I take heals though. One of my probes, usually H2WF or the simple probe droid.

Not sure what to take for my sin tank alt though, lvl 30 and i alternate dps or heals